• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 29, 2013 (Jul 15 - Jul 21)

Tagg9

But people don't buy systems for just one game. It doesn't seem like it's really worth even stating. People who already have the system will buy new great games when they come out. Yes, and...?

At the same time, we've definitely seen a single game or a handful of games sell a system for quite a while. We've actually seen this more with nintendo games and their hardware than with any other game or platform.

edit: I suddenly realize that what I said might sound contradictory. What I meant was people usually don't buy systems for one game and then never buy anything else.

It happens with handhelds, and quite often. I can only guess the number of people that bought a 3DS solely for Animal Crossing. It'll probably be the same story in October when Pokemon releases.

Granted, they may buy more games in the future but there are a lot of casual players out there that love a single title and only play that.

Well i guess what im trying to do is gauge what is the potential for wii u in japan. We have nintendo launchinh heavy hitters, but with no 3rd party support to fall on i wonder where is the tipping point for the mass market. I mean sometimes you hit it with one game aka Wii Sports, but most dont and take a while to gain appeal

While I some parts of what you say are true, your logic falls apart spectacularly in the face of hardware bumps surrounding specific software releases and the holidays. Mario 3D World for example is a holiday title specifically because it's meant to do exactly the opposite of what you're describing. Whether or not it will, eh, we'll see, but software sells the bulk of hardware only once its actually out. The people who keep close track of release days are definitely in the minority.

I agree that there is a "tipping point" for most people once enough attractive software is out, but that's clearly cumulative based mostly on software that's has already released. MH4 and Pokemon for example are going to cause a huge upswing in 3DS sales during the weeks of their release, not so much weeks or months before.
With regard to "people buying a system for one game" it seems to pop up a lot in these threads an expectation for 3D World, Mario Kart and Smash Bros to specifically turn around the system at their respective launches. And just discussion of system sellers in general.

I'm not saying there aren't hardware bumps for any given popular title for its week of release - and I certainly expect hardware bumps for the releases of the above. But I'm saying that despite the importance of those bumps, I think people focus too much on the idea of a title being a "system seller" specifically moving hardware in its release week, as opposed to there also being an underlying in-built effect due to the knowledge of impending software release coupled with other releases that move the value needle in the interim period.

I.e. MH4 will be a primary reason for many Japanese gamers to get a 3DS, there will be a huge upswing. I really don't think it's overstatement to say that 1M+ people are buying the 3DS because of Monster Hunter. But of those people for which it is a primary reason, I do not think they are necessarily waiting for its release - it is probably already a major reason, perhaps the most important reason, for a segment of people buying the system in its "normal" sales regardless.

guek

Banned
Seems like we're just talking different ratios here. I disagree that a significant number of people buy hardware for unreleased games. Future titles may encourage people to purchase a system, yes, but not until there is actually a game (perhaps not even the original future game that caught their attention) on shelves for them to purchase as well. If someone's system seller is MH4, why wouldn't they wait until they can actually play that game? That's illogical. People don't buy systems to play games that aren't out yet. While a future MH4 title probably plays into the purchasing decision for many, what they really bought the system for at this point is something else. If they bought it for Luigi's Mansion or Animal Crossing or whatever, THOSE games are what sold them on the system at that point. The majority of people who only want to play MH4 will obviously wait for MH4.

It's all cumulative. I don't think anyone is saying a single game is going to "save" the Wii U outright. That doesn't make any sense. Titles of that enormous selling potential and mass market appeal happen extremely rarely. But 3DW is (hopefully) going to get a lot of people to buy a Wii U. So is Smash and Mario Kart. Those big hardware bumps are just kickstarters that get the ball rolling. Of course they can't sell 30 million units like Wii Sports or Wii Fit, but they can get potentially get the ball rolling.

I do agree the idea of a "killer app" or "system seller" is overblown though. Those types of games are just the spark that ignites the flame. I also don't think nintendo agrees with the idea that one game will save their asses either. Their message has been pretty clearly geared towards having a consistent lineup of games draw in more and more people. They bet the farm last year on Nintendoland and lost horribly but they're trying a completely different strategy this year.

I do agree the idea of a "killer app" or "system seller" is overblown though. Those types of games are just the spark that ignites the flame. I also don't think nintendo agrees with the idea that one game will save their asses either. Their message has been pretty clearly geared towards having a consistent lineup of games draw in more and more people. They bet the farm last year on Nintendoland and lost horribly but they're trying a completely different strategy this year.

But the lineup is clearly inconsistent in it's releases, if consistent releases was their message then they have done an extremely poor job of backing that message up with releases.

It's all cumulative. I don't think anyone is saying a single game is going to "save" the Wii U outright. That doesn't make any sense. Titles of that enormous selling potential and mass market appeal happen extremely rarely. But 3DW is (hopefully) going to get a lot of people to buy a Wii U. So is Smash and Mario Kart. Those big hardware bumps are just kickstarters that get the ball rolling. Of course they can't sell 30 million units like Wii Sports or Wii Fit, but they can get potentially get the ball rolling

But getting the ball rolling won't be enough for smash and kart etc, they need to do more for the wii u than they did for gamecube just to bring wii u up to gamecube levels let alone to have the hardware perform well. There are less third party titles and likely less first party titles due to the extra resources needed for HD development to keep that ball rolling if it ever starts in the first place.

Chill Dude

Neo Member
Pleasantly surprised in the Wii U sales glad to see it didn't drop off as much as I thought. Hopefully this keeps up :)! Also look at Nintendo's dominance through 3DS even though it's not a shock it's mighty impressive.

Pleasantly surprised in the Wii U sales glad to see it didn't drop off as much as I thought. Hopefully this keeps up :)! Also look at Nintendo's dominance through 3DS even though it's not a shock it's mighty impressive.

3DS doesn't have much competition it seems. Vita is dormant, WiiU is writhing agonisingly in the corner, and PS3 is giving out its last few breaths along with the PSP. The gaming industry in Japan is in a sad state right now compared to last gen where we had 3-4 consoles doing very well.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
first day sellthrough

[3DS] Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies - 40-50% (could match the opening of 4)
[PS3] Dragon's Crown > 80%
[PSV] Dragon's Crown - 70%
[PS3] The Witch and the Hundred Knights - 60-70%
[WIU] LEGO City Undercover - 40-50%
[3DS] Fantasy Life: Link! - 20%

first day sellthrough

[3DS] Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies - 40-50% (could match the opening of 4)
YAS LORDT

Tsutaya expects the same. Nice report all around.

good result for lego considering most other recent wii u games were in that range or lower for the whole week. Shipment could be super low because of the others doing so poorly aswell i suppose.

Usobuko

Banned
It seems like Atlus has a pretty big expectation of Dragon Crown with all their promotions so that's a quite a success there in Japan?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Media Create Sales: Week 29, 2013 (Jul 15 - Jul 21)

01./00. [3DS] Mario & Luigi: Dream Team # <RPG> (Nintendo) {2013.07.18} (¥4.800) - 99.972 / NEW <25,49%>
___

21./30. [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2012.07.28} (¥4.800)
22./00. [PSP] 1/2 Summer + # <ADV> (Kaga Create) {2013.07.18} (¥7.140)
23./23. [NDS] Pokemon Black 2 / White 2 <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2012.06.23} (¥4.800)
24./29. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.800)
25./27. [WIU] New Super Mario Bros. U <ACT> (Nintendo) {2012.12.08} (¥5.985)
26./18. [3DS] Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millenium Girl <RPG> (Atlus) {2013.06.27} (¥6.279)
27./26. [3DS] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Best Price!) <ACT> (Capcom) {2012.11.15} (¥3.800)
28./31. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission <TBL> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.02.28} (¥5.800)
29./09. [PS3] Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection <ADV> (Konami) {2013.07.11} (¥7.980)
30./21. [3DS] Toriko: Gourmet Battle! <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.07.04} (¥5.980)
31./20. [PS3] Atelier Escha & Logy: The Alchemist of Empty Twilight # <RPG> (Gust) {2013.06.27} (¥7.140)
32./35. [3DS] Taiko no Tatsujin: Chibi Dragon to Fushigi na Orb <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.07.12} (¥5.040)
33./32. [WIU] Nintendo Land # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.12.08} (¥4.935)
34./33. [3DS] Tousouchuu: Shijou Saikyou no Hunter-Tachi Kara Nigekire! <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.07.05} (¥5.040)
35./47. [PSP] Super Dangan-Ronpa 2: Sayonara Zetsubou Gakuen # <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft) {2012.07.26} (¥6.279)
36./28. [PS3] Battlefield 3 (PlayStation 3 the Best) <ACT> (Electronic Arts) {2013.07.11} (¥3.675)
37./42. [3DS] Aikatsu! Cinderella Lesson <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.11.15} (¥5.040)
38./34. [PS3] Terraria <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft) {2013.05.23} (¥4.179)
39./44. [PSP] Pro Baseball Spirits 2013 <SPT> (Konami) {2013.03.20} (¥3.980)
40./45. [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl <FTG> (Nintendo) {2008.01.31} (¥6.800)
41./36. [PS3] The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Legendary Edition <RPG> (Bethesda Softworks) {2013.06.27} (¥7.140)
42./00. [PSP] OGA Onigokko Royale: Hunter wa Kotou de Koiosuru # <ADV> (Idea Factory) {2013.07.18} (¥6.090)
43./50. [3DS] Super Mario 3D Land # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2011.11.03} (¥4.800)
44./37. [WII] New Play Control! Pikmin 2 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2009.03.12} (¥3.800)
45./38. [PS3] FIFA 13 (EA Super Hits) <SPT> (Electronic Arts) {2013.06.27} (¥1.995)
46./46. [3DS] Puyo Puyo!! Puyo Puyo 20th Anniversary (Special Price) <PZL> (Sega) {2012.12.13} (¥2.940)
47./43. [360] Earth Defense Force 2025 <ACT> (D3 Publisher) {2013.07.04} (¥6.980)
48./00. [PSP] God Eater: Burst (PSP the Best Reprint) <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.06.06} (¥1.800)
49./48. [WII] Wii Sports Resort with Wii Remote Plus # <SPT> (Nintendo) {2010.11.11} (¥5.800)
50./00. [WII] Mario Kart Wii <RCE> (Nintendo) {2008.04.10} (¥5.800)

Top 50

3DS - 20
PS3 - 11
PSP - 7
WII - 5
WIU - 4
360 - 1
NDS - 1
PSV - 1

SOFTWARE
Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |
|  ALL  |    566.000 |    620.000 |    947.000 | 23.280.000 | 26.045.000 |

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
first day sellthrough

That's good and...surprising.

DaBoss

first day sellthrough

Everything here looks good (I have no idea what The Witch and the Hundred Knights is though).

Orgen

What's the last LTD known for Brawl? It's 2 million possible? (I don't think so)

And I wouldn't expect Zelda U for 2014. I would say Animal Crossing U is more likely to come before Zelda (and I expect Animal Crossing U in 2014 Christmas at the earliest)

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
That's good and...surprising.

Maybe it's just looking good because shipment was extremely low? Since there were no Lego games yet in Japan (I've read this here, I've not checked it), it could well be on a super low shipment.

DaBoss

Thanks. Looks somewhat interesting and dull at the same time.

lol @ "Quick Time Eat!"

Maybe it's just looking good because shipment was extremely low? Since there were no Lego games yet in Japan (I've read this here, I've not checked it), it could well be on a super low shipment.

Garaph says there was a Lego Star Wars game released for the PS2, had a LTD of 20K.

But yea, it was definitely low shipments, but it's good to see it met halfway of retailers'/Nintendo's expectation.

Bruno MB

What's the last LTD known for Brawl? It's 2 million possible? (I don't think so)

And I wouldn't expect Zelda U for 2014. I would say Animal Crossing U is more likely to come before Zelda (and I expect Animal Crossing U in 2014 Christmas at the earliest)

(Famitsu - 2.253.503)
(Media Create - 2.332.789)
(Dengeki - 2.407.488)

Most Wii U games have a very small shipment and a horrible first day (and week) sell-through.

first day sellthrough

Phenix Wright has pretty solid numbers.

Anyone got the shipment figure for Dragon's Crown? IIRC, Muramasa had a 80-100% sellthrough on VITA.

Fantasy Life Bomba?

Lexxism

Did anyone have any data with Ace Attorney series 1st week sales? I'm curious to see what was the lowest 1st week sales of the game.

Glass Rebel

Pleased with AA5 percentage, hope it matches AA4 sales.

Wasn't the Link! DLC for Fantasy Life released much earlier digitally?

DaBoss

Did anyone have any data with Ace Attorney series 1st week sales? I'm curious to see what was the lowest 1st week sales of the game.

Garaph (Famitsu) Numbers:
1st Week/LTD

Ace Attorney (Mainline):

GBA:
AA1: 23,911/62,169(+66,432 Best)
AA2: 51,859/116,306(+54,881 Best)
AA3: 76,619/161,893

DS:
AA1: 50,469/117,784(+254,681+155,813 Best)
AA2: 22,428/214,150(+123,174 Best)
AA3: 64,860/195,205(+130,660 Best)
AA4: 240,275/515,417

Ace Attorney Investigations:
AAI1: 201,817/310,028
AAI2: 134,760/219,682

Wasn't the Link! DLC for Fantasy Life released much earlier digitally?

Yes. This is a re-release with the DLC included with the game itself in cartridge form.

Its probably a very low shipment but pikmin may have gotten enough interest back in the system to prevent the horrendous 1st day sales we have been seeing

Ok so after looking over the lists these are the potential new announcements for 2014

Wii Sports U
Miyamoto/EAD new IP
NFC game
Pokemon Gen 6 spinoff
Kirby

I feel like i have to add that some kind of Mario Sports will probably release next year

Now to be fair Nintendo did release 14 Wii games in 2007 so their is still the possibility Nintendo has at least 12 games next year. It does take more to make a game, but they also have more people and can get other people to do gaames for them

Well we should at least get digital info from nintendo and capcom

Yeshua

Regarding what Wii U games Nintendo could announce for next year I think the possibility of HD remake are overlooked, after the success of Luigi Mansion 2 I think it's rather likely there will be a HD remake of the first one, launched next year a bit before halloween would be a nice addition to the Wii U line-up.

Kurtofan

Regarding what Wii U games Nintendo could announce for next year I think the possibility of HD remake are overlooked, after the success of Luigi Mansion 2 I think it's rather likely there will be a HD remake of the first one, launched next year a bit before halloween would be a nice addition to the Wii U line-up.

Or maybe a third episode? the first one was rather short, even though it was great.

Great point. There should be at least 1-2 HD ports next year

Or maybe a third episode? the first one was rather short, even though it was great.

LM2 was in development for 4 years with a decent sized staff. The next one won't hit for a very long time and LM2 isnt done selling

NotLiquid

first day sellthrough

Are we expecting decently sized shipments on this one? Considering it's Nintendo published and was one of their more pushed titles for the Wii U. I'm suspecting 20k, maybe 40k at best next week.
EDIT: Nevermind missed the above posts. I guess it's low-end 20 to 10k.

Surprised at Lego's perentage, but wouldn't be surprised if the thing had a sub-30K shipment. Still, it wouldn't be too bad if it could at least match G&W's first day sales, and it might be a title that sells over the weekend too, but that might have less effect now it's summer holidays.

Also reminds me I have to go pick up my pre-order tomorrow.

Hellraider

Great point. There should be at least 1-2 HD ports next year

Another candidate alongside LM that makes sense is Bayonetta.Because it just makes too much sense I don't expect to ever see it.MH4 is another possibility.

An interesting question is whether we will see Wii games remastered on the U or not.

Kid Ying

Im happy because i was one of the only that was beting on lego. lol Im not expecting a huge number, but i dont think we can compare a nintendo published game with the likes of sniper elite, f1 race stars and injustice. A shipment of 30k is not a crazy thing to imagine.

first day sellthrough

Does The Witch and the Hundred Knights' sellthrough count the limited edition?

hiska-kun

Phenix Wright has pretty solid numbers.

Anyone got the shipment figure for Dragon's Crown? IIRC, Muramasa had a 80-100% sellthrough on VITA.

Fantasy Life Bomba?

Sinobi said that the expected shipment was 120k for PS3 version and 50k for the Vita version. I guess an extra shipment could arrive for the weekend.

Sinobi said that the expected shipment was 120k for PS3 version and 50k for the Vita version. I guess an extra shipment could arrive for the weekend.

If those numbers check out, that puts day one retail sales at about 131k units. Definitely performing much better than expected, I wonder how high they can get it for the full weekend assuming a second shipment.

Edit: I just went through the predictions, only one person predicted over 130k for the week and that was only at 150k. It's very likely that each and every prediction for this game will of underestimated it, absolutely insane.

guek

Banned
But the lineup is clearly inconsistent in it's releases, if consistent releases was their message then they have done an extremely poor job of backing that message up with releases.

But getting the ball rolling won't be enough for smash and kart etc, they need to do more for the wii u than they did for gamecube just to bring wii u up to gamecube levels let alone to have the hardware perform well. There are less third party titles and likely less first party titles due to the extra resources needed for HD development to keep that ball rolling if it ever starts in the first place.

Oh I agree. I said that that's what they're trying to do, not that they'll invariably succeed.

Glass Rebel

I remember reading on GAF that Dragon's Crown was higher priced than regular releases. Impressive feat, if true. Hope it does well on Vita.

jnWake

I'm expecting more HD remakes too. Maybe "forgotten" franchises (i.e., ones that haven't got a Wii U announcement yet) can get one, like Metroid (Prime Trilogy HD?), F-Zero, Star Fox or something like that. I'd love Paper Mario: TTYD HD but that is super unlikely (or at least a VC release!).

Madao

I'm expecting more HD remakes too. Maybe "forgotten" franchises (i.e., ones that haven't got a Wii U announcement yet) can get one, like Metroid (Prime Trilogy HD?), F-Zero, Star Fox or something like that. I'd love Paper Mario: TTYD HD but that is super unlikely (or at least a VC release!).

one difficutly i see with a Metroid Prime Trilogy HD remaster is the control scheme for mp3. unlike mp1 and mp2, mp3 was made for the remote + nunchuck and there's no control scheme using the classic controllers for it. they'd need to make new control methods for it since the remote isn't standard with the Wii U and requiring it would make it a hard sell and that'd take extra time that they might not be willing to put into it (unlike the other HD remaster candidates which already work good with the gamepad or pro pad)

squall23

first day sellthrough

Wow, AA5 can get upwards of 200k+?

one difficutly i see with a Metroid Prime Trilogy HD remaster is the control scheme for mp3. unlike mp1 and mp2, mp3 was made for the remote + nunchuck and there's no control scheme using the classic controllers for it. they'd need to make new control methods for it since the remote isn't standard with the Wii U and requiring it would make it a hard sell and that'd take extra time that they might not be willing to put into it (unlike the other HD remaster candidates which already work good with the gamepad or pro pad)

Or not. VC games required a CC or gamecube controller for n64 games and that didnt come with. The Wiimote which is a much more prevalent controller wouldnt be a problem

L Thammy

AA5 is the first game released after the movie, unless I'm mistaken. It wouldn't surprise me if the brand is stronger than ever.

When was the Monster Hunter 4 announcement? As in, what was the date?

Top Bottom