• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 29, 2013 (Jul 15 - Jul 21)

Vita showed that it had pretty strong attach rate and potential to be a healthy system but it NEEDS a big hitter.

A game that will revitalize the outlook on the system.

Something like Dragon Quet 8 HD or Type-1.

Will it happen?It only depends how much Sony wants to salvage the system.Vita just has a chance in Japan and it would be a shame to waste it.

Well every system has the potential to be healthy with a healthy lineup, and i vehemently disagree that only one big game is needed.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I agree with everything but number 1. I think that's just Kamiya striking again.

And could you into more detail about 2? I've never thought of the title as western oriented.

She's not talking about the game. She's talking about the Wii U itself.

Well every system has the potential to be healthy with a healthy lineup, and i vehemently disagree that only one big game is needed.

I don't see huge announcements one afther another like it was with 3DS.

With Vita I could see one big game and bunch of medium ones around it and if that catches on bigger devs might've started jumping in.

Otherwise it will be just like it is now (out of the blue medicore RPG and decent games).

For example I think Disgaea 5 would do really good as Vita exclusive game, the audience is just there.

fred

Wiiu would have to have a wii level holiday to get 8 million. Its not happening. Maybe 8 shipped

It wouldn't have to have a Wii level holiday at all. Given the software that's on its way the Wii U selling 1m between now and 31st October and 3m+ between 1st November and 31st December should be easily doable. It's sold around 4m so far so the 8m total isn't too far away as it is.

The problem the Wii U has had has been a lack of software. The Wii U had a very successful launch which people seem to forget about for some strange reason...it did around 80 percent of the Wii's sales during its launch period which is impressive. The problems started when there was bugger all software being released for it since December but that software drought is now ending and sales will increase as a result. Games sell consoles at the end of the day, this has been proven by price cuts being ineffective until Lego City Undercover and Monster Hunter were released at the end of March. Sales increased for a few weeks and then slumped again when the software drought restarted.

I agree with everything but number 1. I think that's just Kamiya striking again.

And could you into more detail about 2? I've never thought of the title as western oriented.

IIRC almost all of the game's promotion has been for the west. I've barely seen anything in terms of hype or marketing in Japan.

Bruno MB

The Wonderful 101 looks like the typical game Nintendo sends to die, for example it happened with Captain Rainbow, Sin and Punishment 2, Takt of Magic or Zangeki no Reginleiv.

If I didn't predict like 15.000 or 20.000 units for this game was mainly because Wii U is so software starved that I guess Nintendo will at least try to market a bit every release they have. And also, after Pikmin 3 new Wii U users maybe are more receptive to buying software. Anyway, I feel 35.000 is the best case scenario. That would match Viewtiful Joe first week sales.

To be more specific, I wasn't talking about the GAME being particularly Western-oriented.
I'm talking about the stigma of the game being RECEIVED as "Western-oriented."

There are some Western influences, namely:

1) If I remember correctly, the Japanese version of the game uses English voices

2) Introduces elements of the "superhero" (Western archetype)

3) Doesn't closely fit into any uniquely-Japanese genre

But the game takes lots of inspiration from classic Japanese Anime and, most notably, the tokusatsu Super Sentai series.

However, it doesn't seem as though the game is being connected to these Japanese influences by Japanese fans.

Although, I will have to admit that "Western stigma" is a weak point, and looking back on it now, it probably should have been redacted.

BlackJace

To be more specific, I wasn't talking about the GAME being particularly Western-oriented.
I'm talking about a stigma of the game being RECEIVED as "Western-oriented."

1) If I remember correctly, the Japanese version of the game uses English voices

But the game takes lots of inspiration from classic Japanese Anime and, most notably, the tokusatsu Super Sentai series.

However, it doesn't seem as though the game is being connected to these Japanese influences by Japanese fans.

Although I will have to admit that "Western stigma" is a weak point, and looking back on it now, it probably should have been redacted.

No, I understand where you were coming from, especially the part about superheroes being a western archetype. I've always thought the game struck a balance of two cultures, kind of like how Viewtiful Joe did, though.

prwxv3

The biggest red flag that pretty much told me Nintendo was sending this game to die was that it was announced on the GT post E3 show. That game deserved to be at least on a photo reel during the conference.

Well I can't wait to play it myself

No, I understand where you were coming from, especially the part about superheroes being a western archetype. I've always thought the game struck a balance of two cultures, kind of like how Viewtiful Joe did, though.

I guess that "Western stigma" point came from a connection some Japanese fans seem to have made between "Western-focused marketing," "Western superheroes," "English voices for the Japanese release," and "Western-oriented game."

I fully agree that The Wonderful 101 is a balance of Western and Japanese influences.

But I'm just concerned that the sales of The Wonderful 101 will suffer because it isn't fully steeped in Japanese elements...i.e. a hybrid is a bad thing.

Mario007

Vita showed that it had pretty strong attach rate and potential to be a healthy system but it NEEDS a big hitter.

A game that will revitalize the outlook on the system.

Something like Dragon Quet 8 HD or Type-1.

Will it happen?It only depends how much Sony wants to salvage the system.Vita just has a chance in Japan and it would be a shame to waste it.
To be fair it's not like Sony doesn't have a million seller IP that can appeal to all regions and is just getting a sequel on the aging PS3.

I know Kamiya likes to joke around a lot. But these tweets (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=614076) seemed serious.

He explicitly mentions "magazine previews," which is his shtick on twitter. Honestly, that should be the first sign

He compares the game to Bayonetta and Okami, two of his most beloved games (if not the most beloved). There's especially no reason to compare it to Okami of all of his games, considering The Wonderful 101 is more comparable to DMC or Viewtiful Joe.

Why would he joke that there is lack of marketing for W101?

People still can't exactly pinpoint what kind of game it is.

His tweets sparked a 28 page on NeoGAF. And probably articles on Kotaku, IGN, etc

prwxv3

That reminds me does anyone know how expensive it was to make Bayonetta? Because TW101 being more expensive when its probably going to sell much less then Bayonetta alarms me.

It wouldn't have to have a Wii level holiday at all. Given the software that's on its way the Wii U selling 1m between now and 31st October and 3m+ between 1st November and 31st December should be easily doable. It's sold around 4m so far so the 8m total isn't too far away as it is.

The problem the Wii U has had has been a lack of software. The Wii U had a very successful launch which people seem to forget about for some strange reason...it did around 80 percent of the Wii's sales during its launch period which is impressive. The problems started when there was bugger all software being released for it since December but that software drought is now ending and sales will increase as a result. Games sell consoles at the end of the day, this has been proven by price cuts being ineffective until Lego City Undercover and Monster Hunter were released at the end of March. Sales increased for a few weeks and then slumped again when the software drought restarted.

I dont think you realize exactly how bad Wiiu is selling. It doing less than 100k a month WW a month. Now its suddenly suppoed to sell 3x that a month for 3 months and not only that after selling less than 100k a month its going to have a 4 million holiday? And the holiday where the 3DS will be on fire with 2 new platform launches? You realize what you are saying is unprecedented?

Also Lego City and MH3U barely increased sales even in march. Outside of a 100 dollar pricecut this isnt happening and even with 100 dollar pricecut it would be hard. Good luck trying to even get retailers to suddenly have a massive interest in the system particularly in europe

Hitsukara

Neo Member
Prediction League August, 2013

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Jul 29 to Aug 25):

[PS3+360] Killer Is Dead (25 days) - 55.000
[3DS] Disney Magic Castle: My Happy Life (25 days) - 130.000
[3DS] One Piece: Romance Dawn - Bouken no Yoake (18 days) - 90.000
[PS3+PSV] Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masou Kishin III (4 days) - 75.000
[3DS+PSV] Conception II: Shichisei no Michibiki to Mazuru no Akumu (4 days) - 30.000
[WIU] The Wonderful 101 (2 days) - 40.000

That reminds me does anyone know how expensive it was to make Bayonetta? Because TW101 being more expensive when its probably going to sell much less then Bayonetta alarms me.

First of all where was it stated it cost more? Secondly nintendo is footing the bill so this wont directly hurt anyone but nintendo. Indirectly it probably makes it that much harder for platinum to do new ips

prwxv3

First of all where was it stated it cost more? Secondly nintendo is footing the bill so this wont directly hurt anyone but nintendo. Indirectly it probably makes it that much harder for platinum to do new ips

Kamiya said that they estimated that in terms of manpower and resources they spent 1.5 more on TW101 then Bayonetta.

Of course he could be bullsshitting but it sounds like he was serious in those posts.

It's in the twitter thread where he complains about the lack of marketing.

To be fair it's not like Sony doesn't have a million seller IP that can appeal to all regions and is just getting a sequel on the aging PS3.

Gran Turismo? Far from proven that it would fill that role on a handheld, at least in the 2013 market. I doubt it'd have much of an impact outside Europe, and even then, I think it'd be lucky to sell much more than a third or so of what GT PSP did there.

Fisico

Prediction League August, 2013

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Jul 29 to Aug 25):

[PS3+360] Killer Is Dead (25 days) - 65.000
[3DS] Disney Magic Castle: My Happy Life (25 days) - 90.000
[3DS] One Piece: Romance Dawn - Bouken no Yoake (18 days) - 100.000
[PS3+PSV] Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masou Kishin III (4 days) - 90.000
[3DS+PSV] Conception II: Shichisei no Michibiki to Mazuru no Akumu (4 days) - 42.000
[WIU] The Wonderful 101 (2 days) - 45.000

Harder than last month

Mario007

Gran Turismo? Far from proven that it would fill that role on a handheld, at least in the 2013 market. I doubt it'd have much of an impact outside Europe, and even then, I think it'd be lucky to sell much more than a third or so of what GT PSP did there.
It's Sony's biggest franchise and it's mindblowing that it's not even announced for the Vita. That's like Nintendo not announcing MK8 for the Wii U. GT PSP did quite well, 3.4 million despite being a downscaled port without two analogue sticks. Racers on the Vita are certainly a thing that people want as can be seen by the breakdowns in the UK market for NFS:MW. It's the one card Sony can play without begging a third party to help out. That's why it's hillarious/sad that we're getting a sequel for the PS3 and not a thing was announced for the Vita.

People on twitter say that the bidding on Atlus starts tomorrow, can we expect any news regarding this, this week? Or it will take longer time?

People on twitter say that the bidding on Atlus starts tomorrow, can we expect any news regarding this, this week? Or it will take longer time?

1) Index (Atlus) is getting delisted July 28th.

2) The sale won't finalize until early September (or later), although we might get leaks on potential buyers / who won the auction earlier than that.

It's Sony's biggest franchise and it's mindblowing that it's not even announced for the Vita. That's like Nintendo not announcing MK8 for the Wii U. GT PSP did quite well, 3.4 million despite being a downscaled port without two analogue sticks. Racers on the Vita are certainly a thing that people want as can be seen by the breakdowns in the UK market for NFS:MW. It's the one card Sony can play without begging a third party to help out. That's why it's hillarious/sad that we're getting a sequel for the PS3 and not a thing was announced for the Vita.

Opportunity cost most likely. PD is likely completely full on gt6 and the ps4 version and do we really want them to shovel it out to some random dev for cheap and if any big japanese dev has to own atlus namco has been great lately.

I'm talking about the stigma of the game being RECEIVED as "Western-oriented."

Although, I will have to admit that "Western stigma" is a weak point, and looking back on it now, it probably should have been redacted.

The official website shows the game to have both Japanese text and voice acting. Just thought I would point that out.

Kid Ying

The Wonderful 101 looks like the typical game Nintendo sends to die, for example it happened with Captain Rainbow, Sin and Punishment 2, Takt of Magic or Zangeki no Reginleiv.
Just because those games sold bad doesn't mean they were sent to die. Captain Rainbow sold what it should, honestly. It's a good game, but niche as hell. I think SEP2 fall on the same place.

Not saying this is the case for W101, which i think can manage better numbers and i still think Nintendo will start marketing the game next month. By june, there was no moviment from Nintendo for Pikmi. No reason to think they won't do it again.

I think W101 will get 50k. Maybe a little more. Not expecting huge numbers, but not something like 20k. I'm not expecting that even for lego.

GT PSP did quite well, 3.4 million despite being a downscaled port without two analogue sticks. Racers on the Vita are certainly a thing that people want as can be seen by the breakdowns in the UK market for NFS:MW.

If you start from the assumption that the dedicated handheld market hasn't changed much since 2009, then sure, GT PSP is a pretty compelling example. I don't share that assumption.

As for NFS, its numbers are good relative to most other software on the platform (and the same software on Wii U, LOL), but that doesn't say a lot in itself. There's no question that GT Vita would do extremely well in relative terms, but in absolute numbers? I'm not convinced.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Both W101 and Bayo2 are funded by Nintendo, so I guess even if they bomb Platinum won't be hurt (aside maybe image wise).

Generally speaking, the health of an independent developer has no direct connection to how their games sell, because they A.) don't fund their own games and B.) they get almost no royalties from the sales of their games even when they sell millions upon millions of copies.

What *is* important though is that they always have work, because if they don't have a project for even 2-4 weeks, they won't have money to give out when it comes time to pay salary.

Now, obviously indirectly the sales of their games are important, because it determines the likelihood that they get work and the chances that they can become one of the rare independent developers who do earn notable royalties for their work, but this is why we see some developers launch a game that sells very well and then close up (Team Bondi), while others launch a bunch of bombs yet stay open (Ninja Theory), because all that matters is that a publisher is willing to sign them and have them make a new project immediately after their last one ships.

If TW101 and Bayonetta 2 bomb, it's unlikely that Nintendo will sign them for new projects, so they will have to search elsewhere for a publisher. They may have even already been doing such for the TW101 team if Nintendo indicated they weren't going to sign them for another project, but we likely won't find out until at least a year or more after it launches when Kamiya's next project is finally unveiled.

Platinum's biggest risk is that they run out of publishers who want to sign them if their games keep bombing, because signing them becomes a bad business decision. However, the individual bombs themselves don't directly hurt the company in the sense of "Bayonetta 2 didn't sell well and now we're $30 million in the hole," since they never spent any of that money in the first place.

Just because those games sold bad doesn't mean they were sent to die. Captain Rainbow sold what it should, honestly. It's a good game, but niche as hell. I think SEP2 fall on the same place.

Not saying this is the case for W101, which i think can manage better numbers and i still think Nintendo will start marketing the game next month. By june, there was no moviment from Nintendo for Pikmi. No reason to think they won't do it again.

I think W101 will get 50k. Maybe a little more. Not expecting huge numbers, but not something like 20k. I'm not expecting that even for lego.

Its 2 days though. Im sure it will make its way up to 60-70k, but expecting a 50k opening for this game on wiiu of all platforms seems a bit much. although if nintendo coupled a price drop the week it launched it could happen

Kid Ying

Actually Nintendo has revealed W101's new teaser/trailer in a ND very recently.
That's a little bit, but i'm talking about doing commercials and stuff.

Also, W101 position on amazon now is low, but is more about the lack of news. When Kamiya made those tweets, W101 even made the top 100. It's not the same as Yakuza, where it was low since the announcement. There is interest, just not much due to the lack of news and the fact that there's a month for the release.

Its 2 days though. Im sure it will make its way up to 60-70k, but expecting a 50k opening for this game on wiiu of all platforms seems a bit much. although if nintendo coupled a price drop the week it launched it could happen
I don't know, We're yet to see how much Pikmin had an effect on the people buying games or the marketing for the game. Maybe we'll see the possibilites for W101 by seeing Lego's opening. I think everyone is expecting more for W101 than for Lego. If Lego get's 20k or something like that, it's entirely reasonable to expect the double for W101.

That's a little bit, but i'm talking about doing commercials and stuff.

Yeah, by the way that other promotion - get W101 or Pikmin 3 and get a 30% discount on the other game - is another positive sign that Nintendo is concerned.

When Kamiya made those tweets, W101 even made the top 100.

if so, in the light of this now I see the reasoning behind Kamiya's activity on Twitter.

Kid Ying

Yeah, by the way that other promotion - get W101 or Pikmin 3 and get a 30% discount on the other game - is another positive sign that Nintendo is concerned.

if so, in the light of this now I see the reasoning behind Kamiya's activity on Twitter.
That one is really good, but it's not for Japan right now. For now, the only promotion is 10% of discount on eshop.

I don't know, We're yet to see how much Pikmin had an effect on the people buying games or the marketing for the game. Maybe we'll see the possibilites for W101 by seeing Lego's opening. I think everyone is expecting more for W101 than for Lego. If Lego get's 20k or something like that, it's entirely reasonable to expect the double for W101.

hope so. i really would like to see the game do very well, but everything seems set for a bomb

The official website shows the game to have both Japanese text and voice acting. Just thought I would point that out.

Thanks for the clarification! :)

The reason I said "English voices" is I can remember watching a Japanese Nintendo Direct and hearing English voices with Japanese text.

nampad

Well then, time to revisit this post. Striking the ones I got wrong. Mixing with MC Top 1000 2012.

10 out of 20, I think I did pretty well.

Mess at my Kiseki and EDF prediction.

iUZ63mFyCMNl0.gif

Didn't Soul Sacrifice break the 200.000 including the double pack?

*raises hand*

It's certainly had more of an impact on the weekly baseline than I expected, but that baseline is still a long way from "good" (I'd guesstimate that 20K/week, or around where 3DS was before the price cut, would be the threshold for "finding its niche" levels), and I'm not convinced that the price cut had that much of an impact on software sales. None of the major-ish recent Vita releases have had particularly impressive legs, and the overall software ecosystem is a long ways from healthy, as demonstrated by Toukiden being the only Vita title in the top 50,
I'm not really asking whether one thinks the hardware or software sales are "good" per se. I'm wondering whether people still question whether the price cut was worthwhile.

Having 13 titles in the top 100 for H1 is a lot healthier, and I would dispute the idea that these titles would be selling anywhere near what they are, good or not, had there not been a significant increase in consumer interest due to the price drop.

Half a year of 2013:
09./07. [PSV] Toukiden # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2013.06.27} (¥6.090) - 12.396 / 195.132

16. [PSV] Soul Sacrifice # <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2013.03.07} (¥5.980) - 184.391
33. [PSV] Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus: Otome Shoujotachi no Shoumei # <ACT> (Marvelous AQL) {2013.02.28} (¥6.980) - 133.596
43. [PSV] One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.03.20} (¥7.140) - 94.384
44. [PSV] Phantasy Star Online 2: Special Package <RPG> (Sega) {2013.02.28} (¥5.229) - 94.372

Compared with, all of 2012 since I couldn't find H1:
Code:
PSV Persona 4 Golden                                                     229,044    229,044  Atlus           2012-06-14
PSV Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA f                                         200,131    200,131  SEGA            2012-08-30
PSV Gravity Rush                                                          80,597     80,597  SCE             2012-02-09

Do you really think a title like Toukiden, new IP and with a PSP SKU as well, would be en route to 200K+ and being the best selling game on the platform without the price cut?

Road

Famitsu Sales: Week 29, 2013 (Jul 15 - Jul 21)

17./00. [PSP] Super Robot Wars: Operation Extend _Download Card_ <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.07.18} (¥5.980) - 5.664 / NEW <80-100%>

Is this the first example of a download card only appearing in tracker sales?

And, thus, further evidencing what we know -- Famitsu tracks the cards but Media Create and Dengeki don't.

I know Wii U also had some download cards releases, but I can't remember if they charted in the top 30 (I would check myself but I three months behind in Famitsu sales).

I guess Mind=Zero (Vita) aka TOTALLY NOT PERSONA is not big enough for the predictions?

It also launches on August 1st.

Only Monster Hunter clones allowed. =P

But, seriously, I just looked at the comgnet top 20 and it wasn't in it so I imagined it is not gonna sell a lot (not that stuff we're predicting for is going to sell a lot anyway...).

Top Bottom