• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 29, 2013 (Jul 15 - Jul 21)

Tenki

To be more specific, I wasn't talking about the GAME being particularly Western-oriented.
I'm talking about the stigma of the game being RECEIVED as "Western-oriented."

There are some Western influences, namely:

1) If I remember correctly, the Japanese version of the game uses English voices

2) Introduces elements of the "superhero" (Western archetype)

3) Doesn't closely fit into any uniquely-Japanese genre

But the game takes lots of inspiration from classic Japanese Anime and, most notably, the tokusatsu Super Sentai series.

However, it doesn't seem as though the game is being connected to these Japanese influences by Japanese fans.

Although, I will have to admit that "Western stigma" is a weak point, and looking back on it now, it probably should have been redacted.

Isn't number 2 a Japanese archetype? The game is built around the sentai and kaijus, isn't it?

Gran Turismo? Far from proven that it would fill that role on a handheld, at least in the 2013 market. I doubt it'd have much of an impact outside Europe, and even then, I think it'd be lucky to sell much more than a third or so of what GT PSP did there.

Its very proven and sold 4.2 million on the PSP. And lol at the last sentence.

XDDX

Prediction League August, 2013

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Jul 29 to Aug 25):

[PS3+360] Killer Is Dead (25 days) - 63,000
[3DS] Disney Magic Castle: My Happy Life (25 days) - 85,000
[3DS] One Piece: Romance Dawn - Bouken no Yoake (18 days) - 75,000
[PS3+PSV] Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masou Kishin III (4 days) - 110,000
[3DS+PSV] Conception II: Shichisei no Michibiki to Mazuru no Akumu (4 days) - 50,000
[WIU] The Wonderful 101 (2 days) - 40,000

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
we2014.jpg

LOLworthy, after what said by that PES manager on Twitter?

saichi

Vita showed that it had pretty strong attach rate and potential to be a healthy system but it NEEDS a big hitter.

A game that will revitalize the outlook on the system.

Something like Dragon Quet 8 HD or Type-1.

Will it happen?It only depends how much Sony wants to salvage the system.Vita just has a chance in Japan and it would be a shame to waste it.

DQ8 HD (or any HD remake of a classic JRPG like FF7) will not revitalize the outlook on the system. DQ7 remake sold a little over 1.2 mil on 3DS in Japan. DQ8 HD or FF7 HD will not sell more than that if released on VITA.Type-1 is not big enough as Type-0 didn't even break 1 mil on PSP.

If DQ 11 and FF 16 are announced for VITA, it will revitalize the outlook on the system.

Opiate

I'm a bit tired of the argument about whether Vita could do better if it had some big games coming out for it.

I don't mean that it isn't true: it very much is. The Vita would do better if it had some big games coming out for it. Instead, I mean it's true for virtually every system that ever existed, so it isn't as if the Vita has some special relationship with big games here. I suspect the implication is supposed to be that everyone secretly wants to buy a Vita, they just want one good reason to do so. As if there are hordes of potential Vita owners being held back because there is no Monster Hunter (or something) on the system.

I think this is similar to Wii U owners who are convinced that the Wii U Pad is awesome, and imply that the system's failure must be because others just haven't really understood the game pad yet -- and if they could really truly understand it, everyone would be excited about getting a Wii U.

I don't disagree with the basic fact that the Wii U would be doing better if the game pad connected with people better, or that the Vita would be doing better if it had some big games. I disagree with how these positions are being framed: as if the Wii U and Vita are obviously awesome and we're just waiting for some company to unlock their amazing potential. I think the framing should be much more ordinary: yes, any system will sell better if it has more compelling games, and Vita is no different in that regard. The end.

Oersted

Prediction League August, 2013

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Jul 29 to Aug 25):

[PS3+360] Killer Is Dead (25 days) - 63,000
[3DS] Disney Magic Castle: My Happy Life (25 days) - 85,000
[3DS] One Piece: Romance Dawn - Bouken no Yoake (18 days) - 75,000
[PS3+PSV] Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masou Kishin III (4 days) - 110,000
[3DS+PSV] Conception II: Shichisei no Michibiki to Mazuru no Akumu (4 days) - 50,000
[WIU] The Wonderful 101 (2 days) - 40,000

Almost forgot about that one. Any reviews out yet?

DQ8 HD (or any HD remake of a classic JRPG like FF7) will not revitalize the outlook on the system. DQ7 remake sold a little over 1.2 mil on 3DS in Japan. DQ8 HD or FF7 HD will not sell more than that if released on VITA.Type-1 is not big enough as Type-0 didn't even break 1 mil on PSP.

If DQ 11 and FF 16 are announced for VITA, it will revitalize the outlook on the system.
I think that DQ is DQ and FF is FF. What i mean is that they will always sell/move units whether they are released as remake or ports. 1.2 million for a remake is a huge number since we are only talking about Japan here.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD would've been a good measure to judge but it was announced for the PS3 as well hence we can't really get the full picture here as the sales will be divided, skewing more towards PS3. If it remained as a VITA exclusive, it could've resulted in a big boost to the platform.

I think that DQ is DQ and FF is FF. What i mean is that they will always sell/move units whether they are released as remake or ports. 1.2 million for a remake is a huge number since we are only talking about Japan here.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD would've been a good measure to judge but it was announced for the PS3 as well hence we can't really get the full picture here as the sales will be divided, skewing more towards PS3. If it remained as a VITA exclusive, it could've resulted in a big boost to the platform.

Its a hd port. It will likely be the biggest hd port, but its still a port none the less that will not have a huge impact on anything. It would have been a decent exclusive, but lets not pretend like its holiday game material. I think even optimists aren't saying the game will do more than 500-600k total although there is a shot it beats Lightning Retuns which would be an amazing fuck you to square and i hope it happens.
Its very proven and sold 4.2 million on the PSP. And lol at the last sentence.

It'd be lucky to sell 1/4

Isn't number 2 a Japanese archetype? The game is built around the sentai and kaijus, isn't it?

There are nuances that separate your archetypal sentai from the Wonderful 101's "superheroes." It's a bit difficult to delineate, but the distinction is there. As aforementioned, it's a blend.

Yes, until now all the trailers had been English ones with subtitles.

That must not have helped Japanese perception. Why would they use English trailers exclusively in Japan when they should be showing off the fact that TW101 is Japanese inspired (sentai / tokusatsu / kaiju)?

Yea, this doesn't bode well for either of those games.

Its not a surprise to anyone though. Nintendo act like they were going to do a relaunch for the WiiU since the release of Pikmin but there just not marketing the titles well and the titles are spread to far apart (and are not big hitters). I don't see things changing very much until Mario 3d land is released.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Yea, this doesn't bode well for either of those games.

Nintendo in 9/10 cases has a very specific strategy for 1st party advertising in Japan. They really don't ramp up until like a month before release. They did this for Pikmin, and that's what they are doing for LEGO and W101.

For LEGO, I doubt it matters.

For W101, I think they should have marketed it differently and go through traditional outlets- famitsu, retail advertising, etc.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Nintendo in 9/10 cases has a very specific strategy for 1st party advertising in Japan. They really don't ramp up until like a month before release. They did this for Pikmin, and that's what they are doing for LEGO and W101.

For LEGO, I doubt it matters.

For W101, I think they should have marketed it differently and go through traditional outlets- famitsu, retail advertising, etc.
Right, I don't think applying casual/really broad audience marketing to every game makes any sense.

I'm reminded of the Wii lifestyle advertising for Metroid Prime 3.

It makes much more sense to do what the companies who live off great selling core games do when you want to sell to the same audience.

Overall though I feel this applies more to Bayonetta 2 since I suspect TW101 is heavily demand capped either way.

ohlawd

Is that good for AA5?

If it ain't good, then it should be better cuz AA is a AAA series and deserves every sale.

Lexxism

Is that good for AA5?

If it ain't good, then it should be better cuz AA is a AAA series and deserves every sale.

Yup. It's a very good entry if the 200k+ first week sale is true. Just look at the sales of AA.

Garaph (Famitsu) Numbers:
1st Week/LTD

Ace Attorney (Mainline):

GBA:
AA1: 23,911/62,169(+66,432 Best)
AA2: 51,859/116,306(+54,881 Best)
AA3: 76,619/161,893

DS:
AA1: 50,469/117,784(+254,681+155,813 Best)
AA2: 22,428/214,150(+123,174 Best)
AA3: 64,860/195,205(+130,660 Best)
AA4: 240,275/515,417

Ace Attorney Investigations:
AAI1: 201,817/310,028
AAI2: 134,760/219,682

Yes. This is a re-release with the DLC included with the game itself in cartridge form.

ohlawd

I better see a huge gap between DC PS3 and AA5.

I'm planning on buying DC eventually so eff off with fanboy comments

I better see a huge gap between DC PS3 and AA5.

I'm planning on buying DC eventually so eff off with fanboy comments
I'm not! Direct all fanboy comments at me.

Am expecting 150k for DC and 200k for AA, but AA will have legs unlike the lessors. 8)

I will be so sad if AA5 craters like AAvsPL did. Its not like it has so much competition on the 3ds right now so it was a good time to launch it

Code:
[U][B]Tsutaya Software Sales Rankings: Week 30, 2013 (Jul 22 - Jul 28)	Comgnet Software Sales Rankings: Week 30, 2013 (Jul 22 - Jul 28)[/B][/U]

[B]01./NEW [3DS] Ace Attorney 5						01. [PS3] Dragon's Crown – 253pt
02./NEW [PS3] Dragon's Crown						02. [3DS] Ace Attorney 5 – 247pt
03./NEW [PSV] Dragon's Crown						03. [PSV] Dragon's Crown – 152pt
04./NEW [PS3] The Witch and the Hundred Knights				04. [PS3] The Witch and the Hundred Knights – 107pt[/B]
05./01. [3DS] Mario and Luigi: Dream Team				05. [3DS] Mario and Luigi: Dream Team – 103pt
06./02. [3DS] Youkai Watch						06. [3DS] Tomodachi Collection: New Life – 43pt
[B]07./NEW [3DS] Fantasy Life: Link!					07. [WIU] LEGO City Undercover – 40pt[/B]
08./03. [PS3] Earth Defense Force 2025					[B]08. [PS3] The Witch and the Hundred Knights (Limited Edition) – 38pt[/B]
09./04. [WIU] Pikmin 3							09. [PS3] Earth Defense Force 2025 – 38pt
10./08. [3DS] Tomodachi Collection: New Life				10. [3DS] Youkai Watch – 31pt
11./06. [PSP] Toukiden							11. [WIU] Pikmin 3 – 28pt
12./05. [3DS] Danboru Senki W: Ultra Custom				12. [WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii: Super Deluxe Edition (bundle) – 20pt
[B]13./NEW [WIU] LEGO City Undercover	[/B]				13. [PSV] Toukiden – 19pt
14./07. [PSV] Toukiden							[B]14. [3DS] Hoppechan: Tsukutte! Asonde! Punipuni Town!! – 19pt[/B] 
15./14. [PSP] Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (PSP the Best)		15. [PSP] Toukiden – 16pt
16./11. [3DS] Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D				16. [PS3] Dead Island: Riptide – 14pt
17./12. [PS3] The Last of Us						17. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf – 14pt
18./09. [WIU] New Super Luigi U						[B]18. [3DS] Fantasy Life: Link! – 13pt
19./NEW [PS3] The Witch and the Hundred Knights (Limited Edition)[/B]	19. [3DS] Danboru Senki W: Ultra Custom – 13pt
20./15. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf					20. [WIU] New Super Luigi U – 11pt
[B]* New releases are in bold						* 1 pt = 1 sale
3DS - 8									3DS - 8
PS3 - 5									PS3 - 5
WIU - 3									WIU - 3
PSV - 2									PSV - 2
PSP - 2									PSP - 1
									WII - 1[/B]

[B][U]New releases not present in either Top 20:[/U]

[3DS] Chibi Devi! 2: Mahou no Yume Ehon
[3DS] Beast Saga: Saikyou Gekiotsu Coliseum!

[PSV] Xblaze Code: Embryo

[PSP] Daiya no Kuni no Alice: Wonderful Mirror World
[PSP] Daiya no Kuni no Alice: Wonderful Mirror World [Deluxe Edition]
[PSP] Toki no Kizuna: Hanayui Tsuzuri
[PSP] Toki no Kizuna: Hanayui Tsuzuri [Limited Edition]
[PSP] Toki no Kizuna: Hanayui Tsuzuri - Twin Pack
[PSP] Zettai Meikyuu Grimm: Nanatsu no Kagi to Rakuen no Otome (Karin Best)

[PS3] Ketsui: Kizuna Jigoku Tachi Extra
[PS3] Ketsui: Kizuna Jigoku Tachi Extra [Limited Edition]
[PS3] Xblaze Code: Embryo
[PS3] Race Driver Grid 2
[PS3] Zone of the Enders HD Edition (PlayStation 3 the Best)

[360] Race Driver Grid 2[/B]

2013 Tsutaya + Comgnet Weekly Sales Archive

seems like lego city will do okish. always hard to judge from what we get but it should chart at least. matbe something like 10-15k? from where it's sitting in there

good point. it's above friend collection, so that would indicate it being above 15k at least (probably).

Of course we should wait for numbers, 20k may be too optimistic, either way it's hardly surprising that Ace Attorney and Dragon's crown have sold more than Pikmin 3, that was supposed to be front-loaded.

Looking at amazon DC legs should be unbeatable ;)

Anyway I missed the discussion on single game beeing system seller.
I think the increase in sales is also strongly connected to increased marketing effort when something big is released.
People watch adds and realise they wanted to buy console x and this will be good occassion. Or someone might find this title interesting so he starts looking at information about other games system have and then buy both.

Top Bottom