• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 29, 2014 (Jul 14 - Jul 20)

saichi

Good opening for Oreshika. Hopefully it can get to ~150k lifetime at retail since that would be a bit better than the original. Vita still on track to being at 4 million LTD by the end of the year as well. Good, very good.

Also looks like P4G joins GE2 in the 300k+ club, I wonder if/when Freedom Wars (and FFX/X-2 HD for that matter) joins them.

Moving another million (or 900K) units before end of the year? not counting on it.

hiska-kun

You're right

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=114153265

Seems like the only bundle available now is the Wii Sports bundle.

The NSMBU and Wii Party Bundles ran out by the launch of MK8. I posted some photos of how they were still available from launch, and how the weekend they disappeared.
NSMBU, Wii Party and Wii Fit U were still available (you can see the three games selling on par since then).
It's now when they are running out as well. It's difficult to find them. From now if you want a Wii U you have the super hyped and incredible bundle of Wii Sports Club.

Nintendo should remove that bundle as soon as possible and add a real value bundle that japanese could care.

Darius

Banned
PS4 | 5.865

PS4s performance is really abysmal, especially considering it was supposed to have no competition in Japan. It is tracking more than 200k units behind the more expensive PS3 launch aligned, Sony really is doing a miserable job in the software department but at the very least SQEX now has a further excuse to take their sweet time with FF15.

Opiate

Biggest ever decline for a sequel ?

It has to be. Nintendo has been entirely outcompeted for casual consumers by Apple, Google, Facebook, and the like.

PS4 | 5.865

PS4s performance is really abysmal, especially considering it was supposed to have no competition in Japan. It is tracking more than 200k units behind the more expensive PS3 launch aligned, Sony really is doing a miserable job in the software department but at the very least SQEX now has a further excuse to take their sweet time with FF15.

The PS4 clearly does have competition in Japan, it's just that the competition isn't another console. The Japanese market is fantastic evidence of why you can't treat console/handheld/mobile as significantly separate markets. They're all competing for gamers' attention, and at present mobile is winning.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Oh you scared me for a second, lol! Last year's total is aligned to this week. :)

Vita 2011: 439,986 (Dec launch)
Vita 2012: 690,839 (nothing special)
Vita 2013: 1.224.532 (price cut, Vita TV, Vita 2000)
Vita 2014: 737.463 (so far)

#beyst
That sales pattern. I know someone who needs to see it.

Sad numbers for Atelier, the series seems to be losing all the momentum it got from Arland games. Vita ports performances also point at a huge franchise fatigue.

Maybe it is time for Gust to try something different, either in Atelier series or something new.

Metallix87

Sad numbers for Atelier, the series seems to be losing all the momentum it got from Arland games. Vita ports performances also point at a huge franchise fatigue.

Maybe it is time for Gust to try something different, either in Atelier series or something new.

I think they've flooded the market with too many Atelier games. If they give the series a 2 - 3 year break, it should be okay.

Is there any reason at all for Microsoft to even launch the Xbox One in Japan at this point?

To be able to say that they did it and that they still care about Japan.

extralite

What I found astonishing is that the casual crowd moved to mobiles like a single block in very short time. One would have expected instead a more gradual transition - it didn't happen and this was almost impossible to predict.
Part of the casual crowd is still on Wii though. It will transition very slowly to Wii U and of course Wii will keep losing part of its audience to smart devices before it can move on to Wii U.

It's naive to think that fans of the Wii _ franchise will be in a hurry to buy Wii Us. WSC's sales might be laughable but it will keep selling over the whole gen, like Wii Fit U already is. Which is selling better this week than NSMBU actually. All of them will boost during the holidays, selling to Wii owners.

Nintendo mostly used the popularity of the Wii_ franchise to strengthen digital, by making the HD sequels digital exclusive at first. If you look at how WSC is monetarized, its continued shelf presence will just keep creating word of mouth for how digital is the better deal for WSC. Don't like all of the sports? Just buy the ones you like. Friends come over who like what you didn't buy? Buy a daily ticket.

People should stop judging success by first weeks, especially since the future performance is predictable.

Bundy

Banned
PS4 | 5.865

It's not like SCE Japan Studio can create 5x AAA PS4 games each year for the japanse market.
Blame 99% of the japanese publishers for ignoring/abadoning the home console market.
SCE can't force them to make games.

Metallix87

It's not like SCE Japan Studio can create 5x AAA PS4 games each year for the japanse market.
Blame 99% of the japanese publishers for ignoring/abadoning the home console market.
SCE can't force them to make games.

They're just going where the money is.

extralite

Saw this on Siliconera:
The Dragon Quest X all-in-one package includes the Wii, Wii U, and PC version of the game, all for 4,800 yen (about $47) plus tax.

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2014/07/22...CH6vT2CA3lk.99

Tell me they didn't make a horrible mistake. Please. That'd be pretty big, even for Siliconera standards.

There are three All-in-One packages, one for each system. The packages include the original game and the expansion.

L~A

There are three All-in-One packages, one for each system. The packages include the original game and the expansion.

Right, so it's exactly what Squeenix announced them a few weeks ago. A part of me refused to believe Siliconera would make such a huge mistake, so I thought maybe Squeenix changed their plans or something...

But looks like they really did a huge mistake. Wow.

extralite

Also, what happened to Deep Down? That game was supposed to have a beta and then it has disappeared from the face of the Earth.

[/b]They either canceled the game, it's on hiatus till PS4 sells better or they are waiting for the right time to announce the beta

Last we heard they need to decide the conditions for playing the beta. Details for the beta were supposed to be announced by the end of June but then it was delayed, giving the above reason as an explanation.

AniHawk

Yeah. If no one buys the console and some of the inventory is lost in a fire

iG40umY98gLT4.png

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I have seen it, and it is beautiful ;)
I will soon be on the road for a month, holidays :) I will cherish my Vita and the insane backlog I have on it. I will think of you completing as many games as I can (you are the Vita incarnation to me :)

Sammy Samusu said:
Oh you scared me for a second, lol! Last year's total is aligned to this week. :)

Vita 2011: 439,986 (Dec launch)
Vita 2012: 690,839 (nothing special)
Vita 2013: 1.224.532 (price cut, Vita TV, Vita 2000)
Vita 2014: 737.463 (so far)

#beyst

Once holidays are factored in this should be its best year yet, but does Sony even have anything in the pipes for next year? They were making noises like they were moving on and letting 3rd parties/indies float it going forward.

TheChaos0

I think it's likely that they're releasing Atelier games too rapidly and that's the cause of the sales decline. They were doing okay when they released one a year (like clockwork - Shalie is the first one to not come out in June since 2009), but then they also started releasing slightly enhanced Vita ports as well, along with the remake of Rorono last year.

I definitely feel like there are too many Atelier games around. I also feel that some people don't buy the PS3 version and wait for the PS Vita ports, while the audience is not necessary increased by much.

Javier

Alongside Nintendogs 3DS and Brain Training 3DS.

Brain Training is still the most hilarious to me. It wasn't even released as a retail on US...I mean the original sold buckets and the sequel dosn't even get a retail release...
Brain Age: Concentration Training was most definitely released on retail in America. It was in Europe where the game was mysteriously canceled and not released in any form.

PVR

Nintendo did everything in its power to sabotage Wii Sports this generation. The mission was a complete success.

EhoaVash

hmm did Nintendo even advertise wii sports club lol?

I think i saw more advertisement for Earthbound vc than wii sports club lawl

Mario007

I bet Sony is pressuring Capcom to make it into a full fledged game to sell PS4s instead of f2p.
Once holidays are factored in this should be its best year yet, but does Sony even have anything in the pipes for next year? They were making noises like they were moving on and letting 3rd parties/indies float it going forward.

I think those comments were related to the west. We still have GR2 and from the sound of it SS2 being planned for the Vita.

squall23

Clearly they need to make a new Mana Khemia sequel with HD 2D sprites and a high end voice cast list.

Takao

Banned
As I said, I believe Oreshika 2 would be in a good place if it hits 150k LTD. That's going to require it to have better legs than the PSP remake, but that might be possible given the environment the sequel finds itself in. There's no 3DS resurrection or pending Vita launch to deal with.

I'm amused that a two year PS2 port on Vita is now outselling a new spinoff on 3DS. I didn't expect P4G: The Animation to have that effect. I felt it was made to promote PQ, Ultimax and DAN.

Also, shout outs for Yokai Watch being a beast and for Wii Sports Club's being a wreck.

wow that gundam game bombed, I bought it last week and haven't got round to it yet. should have been a vita release imo or at least dual.

Isn't that an arcade card game port? If it's targeted at children, 3DS is the right place. Bandai Namco were probably hoping there would be crossover with the Dragon Ball Heroes audience.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Wii u unable to match last year YTD is sad. Are we still somehow hoping for a GC LTD?
They'd need a price cut or at least a MK8 bundle.

extralite

I bet Sony is pressuring Capcom to make it into a full fledged game to sell PS4s instead of f2p.
You quoted the wrong post. And both Capcom and Sony trust in new approaches to attain success. I don't think they see f2p as an obstacle like many people here but rather as a chance. Sony didn't pressure Sega about PSO on Vita either and that is a huge success.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Comgnet's retail chain preorder comparison as of July 23rd, 2014

[3DS] Monster Hunter 4G - 327pt

[3DS] Puzzle & Dragons Z - 183pt
[3DS] Yokai Watch 2 - 182pt + 137pt = 319pt
[3DS] Super Smash Bros. For Nintendo 3DS - 288pt

[3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission - 101pt
[3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes 2: Ultimate Mission - 91pt

[3DS] Senran Kagura Burst - 37pt
[PSV] Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus (only DX pack so far) - 49pt
[3DS] Senran Kagura 2: Deep Crimson (only DX pack so far) - 29pt

[WiiU] Super Smash Bros. For Wii U - 19pt

Mario007

You quoted the wrong post. And both Capcom and Sony trust in new approaches to attain success. I don't think they see f2p as an obstacle like many people here but rather as a chance. Sony didn't pressure Sega about PSO on Vita either and that is a huge success.

Sorry. Yes PSO is a success but did it sell Vitas? I mean sure you had the physical SKU of the game doing around 100k which was very good at the time but I don't think it really had a huge effect on Vita sales (we can't say for sure anyway as SS was being released in the same week with bundles, I think).

I think a f2p title is great and can be a success for the publisher but the platform holder needs a proper fully paid AAA titles to build up the hardware audience not a f2p title.

Top Bottom