• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 29, 2014 (Jul 14 - Jul 20)

Another week of home consoles playing limbo.

I'm not sure why people are talking about bottoming out when they're still declining week on week.

Alrus

Senran Kagura 2 pre-orders doesn't look that good. I guess switching platforms back and forth was a mistake...

prag16

Banned
Wii u unable to match last year YTD is sad. Are we still somehow hoping for a GC LTD?
They'd need a price cut or at least a MK8 bundle.
Most of that is due to "better" early 2013 post launch sales. Lately it's been up year over year most weeks. With the lineup coming, a YoY increase still is very possible I'd say.

SmokyDave

Senran Kagura 2 pre-orders doesn't look that good. I guess switching platforms back and forth was a mistake...
Aye. I honestly feel they should have made the sequel a Vita game (and not just because it would be better looking and playing). I reckon that's where they'd have found a decent audience. At the very least it ought to have been multiplat. It's somewhat complicated by the fact that the 3DS had the 'proper' first installment and the Vita got a spinoff, but that doesn't seem insurmountable.

Maybe they'll make a Shinovi Versus 2. I'd import it.

I will soon be on the road for a month, holidays :) I will cherish my Vita and the insane backlog I have on it. I will think of you completing as many games as I can (you are the Vita incarnation to me :)
Ah man, you're melting my icy black heart. I shall fire up and finish Luigi's Mansion 2 in your honour.

Most of that is due to "better" early 2013 post launch sales. Lately it's been up year over year most weeks. With the lineup coming, a YoY increase still is very possible I'd say.

The fact we're talking about just a possible YoY increase, shows a quite pathetic panorama for Wii U.

extralite

Sorry. Yes PSO is a success but did it sell Vitas? I mean sure you had the physical SKU of the game doing around 100k which was very good at the time but I don't think it really had a huge effect on Vita sales (we can't say for sure anyway as SS was being released in the same week with bundles, I think).

I think a f2p title is great and can be a success for the publisher but the platform holder needs a proper fully paid AAA titles to build up the hardware audience not a f2p title.
They need a game soon. If you mean delay the game to make it full fledged, that would be foolish. DD can be built over time and be just as effective as any other AAA title by Capcom. F2P is several opportunities at once.

Eolz

Aye. I honestly feel they should have made the sequel a Vita game (and not just because it would be better looking and playing). I reckon that's where they'd have found a decent audience. At the very least it ought to have been multiplat. It's somewhat complicated by the fact that the 3DS had the 'proper' first installment and the Vita got a spinoff, but that doesn't seem insurmountable.

Maybe they'll make a Shinovi Versus 2.

Well there's still Estival Versus (I think that's the title) that we're still waiting more info about.
And I don't know for SK2, I think the audience is still there and the game seems way better than the first one. At least Xseed thought it sold well in the west, that's still that I guess...
Playstation will keep having the spin-offs for some time.

I think they're making more money with all the merchandising too anyway, I don't think they'd be too disappointed if they do at least Burst 1 numbers.

Darius

Banned
It's not like SCE Japan Studio can create 5x AAA PS4 games each year for the japanse market.
Blame 99% of the japanese publishers for ignoring/abadoning the home console market.
SCE can't force them to make games.

I disagree, the responisbility is on Sony because it´s actually their own system. They completley neglected the Japanese market and these are the results. The common excuse is that the Western market is more important, it is, but they completely botched a relevant market so far that could have lead to a healthy market of potential 10m-20m customers, first with PSV and now also PS4. With some smarter decisions and investments it could have been a less embarrassing situation in Japant.

Why SK should go to Vita?

SK main games started on 3DS and they sold quite well.

What I think they should do is release SK games on both platforms instead of making like 4 or 5 different games for each one.

SmokyDave

Well there's still Estival Versus (I think that's the title) that we're still waiting more info about.
And I don't know for SK2, I think the audience is still there and the game seems way better than the first one. At least Xseed thought it sold well in the west, that's still that I guess...
Playstation will keep having the spin-offs for some time.

I think they're making more money with all the merchandising too anyway, I don't think they'd be too disappointed if they do at least Burst 1 numbers.
I'm definitely interested in seeing what EV actually is. I suspect it's an SV 1.5 for PSV and PS4.

You're probably right about the rest.

Why SK should go to Vita?

SK main games started on 3DS and they sold quite well.

What I think they should do is release SK games on both platforms instead of making like 4 or 5 different games for each one.
Well, a large part of it is that I want to play 'em on Vita, I won't deny that. It's not just that though, I feel like the Vita has cultivated an audience for animefaceiconhugetitcharacter games, and SK is aimed firmly at that audience.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
The NSMBU and Wii Party Bundles ran out by the launch of MK8. I posted some photos of how they were still available from launch, and how the weekend they disappeared.
NSMBU, Wii Party and Wii Fit U were still available (you can see the three games selling on par since then).
It's now when they are running out as well. It's difficult to find them. From now if you want a Wii U you have the super hyped and incredible bundle of Wii Sports Club.

Nintendo should remove that bundle as soon as possible and add a real value bundle that japanese could care.

How can Nintendo be so stupid to let that bundle run out now? They need to keep the (miniscule) momentum (from Mario Kart) and by lowering the value you don't work in favor of that...

boiled goose

good with gravy
That audience is never going to be back in significant numbers.

They have found out that devices they carry everyday in their pockets have games for them so they are not going to drop 10-20k yens on dedicated hardware.

Samsung/Apple won't ever have that problem as they don't do generation transitions so older machines still play new games.

The audience will go to the best platform for their gaming needs. Right now nintendo and the other traditional hardware manufacturers suck at delivering games for casual audiences.

Hardware is expensive, games even more expensive, game compatibility is a mess, and on top of that Nintendo doesn't even have a proper account system.

To stay competitive in this area Nintendo had to transition to a software platform centric development strategy but no, they stubbornly remained hardware centric and they are paying the price.

We need a proper Nintendo account now. This will smoothen gen transitions, allow for a proper virtual console, provide more hardware development flexibility, reduce costs, etc.

kswiston

The Atelier series needs a rest. Pumping out 6 of them in one generation (plus a remake, plus 4-5 handheld ports, plus whatever the DS got) is going to wear down interest. They should put the series on ice for 3 years and start again on PS4.

Poor Atelier. I hope Gust find something new to work on soon, because between this & Ar NoSurge it seems like a worrying time for them.

Terrible from WiiU & PS4 too.

Oreshika opening pretty much exactly in line with what I had hoped for. Awesome second week for Youkai Watch 2... too...

Wii u unable to match last year YTD is sad. Are we still somehow hoping for a GC LTD?
They'd need a price cut or at least a MK8 bundle.

Yeah. This is WiiU's biggest year since its getting Smash and MK. The holiday sales are the last resort for some improvement. I think it will get to GC numbers unless it totally collapses in 2015.

19./22. [PSV] Persona 4: Golden <RPG> (Atlus) {2012.06.14} (¥7.329) - 2.929 / 304.785

400k by the end of the anime season?

God damn. I reckon we might just see a Persona 5 portable (similar to how P3 was handled: P3 - P3 FES - P3P)

Yeah. This is WiiU's biggest year since its getting Smash and MK. The holiday sales are the last resort for some improvement. I think it will get to GC numbers unless it totally collapses in 2015.

400k by the end of the anime season?

God damn. I reckon we might just see a Persona 5 portable (similar to how P3 was handled: P3 - P3 FES - P3P)

It sold 3k and has 96k to go to kit 400k. Not sure how you got that number.

P5 portable is a given though, just because that's where a large chunk - if not the majority - of the audience will be.

Madn

Comgnet's retail chain preorder comparison as of July 23rd, 2014

[3DS] Monster Hunter 4G - 327pt

[3DS] Puzzle & Dragons Z - 183pt
[3DS] Yokai Watch 2 - 182pt + 137pt = 319pt
[3DS] Super Smash Bros. For Nintendo 3DS - 288pt

[3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission - 101pt
[3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes 2: Ultimate Mission - 91pt

[3DS] Senran Kagura Burst - 37pt
[PSV] Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus (only DX pack so far) - 49pt
[3DS] Senran Kagura 2: Deep Crimson (only DX pack so far) - 29pt

[WiiU] Super Smash Bros. For Wii U - 19pt

Still no Hyrule Warriors? Isn't that a bad sign?

small44

I disagree, the responisbility is on Sony because it´s actually their own system. They completley neglected the Japanese market and these are the results. The common excuse is that the Western market is more important, it is, but they completely botched a relevant market so far that could have lead to a healthy market of potential 10m-20m customers, first with PSV and now also PS4. With some smarter decisions and investments it could have been a less embarrassing situation in Japant.

Sony can't create new very succesfull new IP in Japan they only had few IP that can help PS4 a little.
In Japan just like in West 3rd party games is what make a console successful or not not first party games.

03./00. [PS3] Atelier Shallie: Alchemist of the Dusk Sea # <RPG> (Gust) {2014.07.17} (¥7.344) - 54.554 / NEW <60-80%>

21./00. [WIU] Wii Sports Club <SPT> (Nintendo) {2014.07.17} (¥3.996) - 2.566 / NEW <0-20%>

Only zero to twenty percent of copies shipped of Wii Sports Club were sold!!?? 0_0

I imported Atelier Shallie and I think this game may be the best Atelier yet, so I'm disappointed to see it become the lowest debut PS3 Atelier game since Rorona. Hoping the Japanese who bought it enjoy it and put in a good word for it.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Yokai Watch 2 is killing it.

Retail shipments should stand at 2 million by next week. Great success for Level-5 and Nintendo (platform holder fee).

Looks like it's going to be another stellar year for Nintendo 3DS with Super Smash, Monster Hunter 4G and Pokemon ORAS coming soon as well.

Possibility that Super Smash 3DS sells between 1.5-2 million and 500k for Wii U LTD?

Metallix87

Well, a large part of it is that I want to play 'em on Vita, I won't deny that. It's not just that though, I feel like the Vita has cultivated an audience for animefaceiconhugetitcharacter games, and SK is aimed firmly at that audience.

Is there strong evidence that said audience doesn't also own a 3DS?

sphinx

the piano man
vinnygambini said:
Looks like it's going to be another stellar year for Nintendo 3DS with Super Smash, Monster Hunter 4G and Pokemon ORAS coming soon as well.

you clearly mean software only, Hardware is on its way out.

HARDWARE
Code:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |     LTD     |
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 3DS # |     37.377 |     61.956 |     57.025 |  [B]1.191.510[/B] |  [B]2.079.931[/B] |  15.853.430 |

1 million less compared to last year. the trajectory is pretty clear.

Nintendo should announce the successor to 3DS at TGS, it's time already.

Yokai Watch 2 is killing it.

Retail shipments should stand at 2 million by next week. Great success for Level-5 and Nintendo (platform holder fee).

Possibility that Super Smash 3DS sells between 1.5-2 million and 500k for Wii U?

500k on Wii U is 100%

Ty4on

Yes?

03./00. [3DS] Senran Kagura Burst: Guren no Shoujotachi <ACT> (Marvelous AQL) {2012.08.30} (¥5.980) - 69.084 / NEW
03./00. [PSV] Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus: Otome Shoujotachi no Shoumei # <ACT> (Marvelous AQL) {2013.02.28} (¥6.980) - 94.324 / NEW <93,37%>
Comgnet's retail chain preorder comparison as of July 23rd, 2014
[3DS] Senran Kagura Burst - 37pt
[PSV] Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus (only DX pack so far) - 49pt
[3DS] Senran Kagura 2: Deep Crimson (only DX pack so far) - 29pt

Darius

Banned
Sony can't create new very succesfull new IP in Japan they only had few IP that can help PS4 a little.
In Japan just like in West 3rd party games is what make a console successful or not not first party games.

Don´t know why you want to give them the easy pass when it comes to supporting their own system. "They can´t", seems like a really odd excuse considering we´re talking about a big company with 3 console generations and a handheld generation of experience.

Possibility that Super Smash 3DS sells between 1.5-2 million and 500k for Wii U?

Both have a big chance of happening. It´s hard to predict how the 3DS version will affect the WiiU version but the latter also has a good chance of hitting 500k-1200k when all is said and done if NSMBU and Mario Kart 8 are any indication and if the 3DS version doesn´t impact its sales potential too much.

Metallix87

Yes?

03./00. [3DS] Senran Kagura Burst: Guren no Shoujotachi <ACT> (Marvelous AQL) {2012.08.30} (¥5.980) - 69.084 / NEW
03./00. [PSV] Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus: Otome Shoujotachi no Shoumei # <ACT> (Marvelous AQL) {2013.02.28} (¥6.980) - 94.324 / NEW <93,37%>

LTDs, please? Also, sales figures for the original?

Lumyst

None. But if a game is on both 3DS and Vita, there is a stronger incentive to get the Vita game due to the better graphics. That's what happened with Conception 2.

Could be that for SK mainline though, maybe the 3D effect plays into the creator's vision for the game, haha

Yes?

didn't the vita game also launch alongside the vita price cut though, that could've helped it a bit

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
you clearly mean software only, Hardware is on its way out.

1 million less compared to last year. the trajectory is pretty clear.

Nintendo should announce the successor to 3DS at TGS, it's time already.

We have potentially four multi-million selling games (Yokai Watch 2, Super Smash, Pokemon ORAS, Monster Hunter 4G) all dedicated to one single platform, 3DS and the bulk of such, destined to launch in Q3.

3DS Hardware sales are declining but one should not disregard the above - the platform is viable and announcing a successor to the 3DS is simply a fantasy request. 3DS' successor is not being introduced until after QOL's launch, a 2016 announcement and launch is likely a good bet.

LayLa

didn't the vita game also launch alongside the vita price cut though, that could've helped it a bit

the Vita game launched while the anime TV series was airing, which would have helped the profile of the property enormously among otaku

Senran Kagura: Skirting Shadows (3DS) September 22, 2011
Senran Kagura Burst (3DS) August 30, 2012
Anime television series aired January 6, 2013 – March 24, 2013
Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus (Vita) February 28, 2013

It's already done ~740k in a little over 6 months, getting another 900k in the last half of the year isn't too farfetched

Though Vita has great chances of selling better in 2014 than it did in 2013, I don't believe it will sell another 900k till the end of the year, unless there is a price cut or a secret huge announcement for late 2014/early 2015 (unlikely).

Is there strong evidence that said audience owns a 3DS or would buy the game in 3DS?

Top Bottom