• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 29, 2014 (Jul 14 - Jul 20)

Yes. There's three new games. The rest are alternate SKUs or budget reprints.

That Fate 3DS game got the lowest score I've ever seen Famitsu give: 18/40.
The funny thing about the Fate game was that it was supposed to come out last year but was delayed due to quality issues. Seems like that extra time didn't do them any good

Yasumi

Banned
The funny thing about the Fate game was that it was supposed to come out last year but was delayed due to quality issues. Seems like that extra time didn't do them any good
Imagine if they actually had released it back then. First potential single digit Famitsu score ever.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Is this a visual novel or a normal game. Judging by the title I really can't tell. Though I don't remember Typemoon working on one.

Road

Koei Tecmo first quarter (Apr-Jun): http://www.koeitecmo.co.jp/php/pdf/ird1_20140728.pdf

Operating profit by segment:

- Online mobile: 338 million yen
- Pachinko/pachislot: 115 million yen
- Game software: 110 million yen
- Amusement: -8 million yen
- Media rights: -13 million yen

And Gust will be incorporated as a KT studio starting October (Gust Nagano Studio): http://www.koeitecmo.co.jp/php/pdf/ird6_20140728.pdf

I think, so far, they were operating as a separate company, just owned by Koei Tecmo. (I'm not good with business...)

Bruno MB

PREDICTION LEAGUE AUGUST 2014

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Jul 28 to Aug 31):

[3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes 2 (25 days) - 145.000
[PS3+360] Ultra Street Fighter 4 (25 days) - 60.000
[3DS] Senran Kagura 2 (25 days) - 90.000
[WIU] Hyrule Warriors (18 days) - 85.000
[PS4] The Last of Us Remastered (11 days) - 55.000
[PSV+PSP] Toukiden Kiwami (4 days) - 155.000
[PS3+360] Persona 4 Arena Ultimax (4 days) - 100.000
[PSV] LoveLive! School Idol Paradise Vol. 1 / 2 / 3 (4 days) - 55.000

extralite

Dragon's Dogma was successful in Japan, but if we consider that it may have had the biggest budget of any Capcom game ever, that isn't enough to matter.

Dragon's Dogma would have gotten better results if it had been launched earlier in the generation. The beginning is the best time to establish new IPs, Capcom succeeded with Lost Planet world wide. In Japan it was held back by the 360's mediocre sales but still did pretty well.

Deep Down should do a lot better (relative to the platform of course, but it will grow the base as well) because it is an early new IP, on the console assumed to lead core gaming. And since this is a MC thread, our main interest should be performance in Japan. As we are seeing now, you can't crack Japan and Western markets with the same approaches. If Nirolak wants to discuss Capcom failing in the West, here is not the ideal place for it.

Gaist Crusher is a Treasure-developed game, but a Capcom-published game. It should be judged on Capcom's standards.
S&P2 was published by Nintendo, should it be judged by Nintendo's standards then? Bringing up a big budget title like Dragon's Dogma in the same sentence as a low budget one by Treasure, that is ignoring realistic expectations.

Hellraider

S&P2 was published by Nintendo, should it be judged by Nintendo's standards then? Bringing up a big budget title like Dragon's Dogma in the same sentence as a low budget one by Treasure, that is ignoring realistic expectations.

I really, really doubt Capcom had low expectations for Gaist Crusher. It was their cross-media project that was gonna ride on MonHun's popularity on the 3DS. I vaguely remember them saying they had high expectations for it, but I'll have to search for a source since I'm not sure.

Anyway, it was a huge flop, just like Square Enix's Gyrozetter.

EDIT: Unless it gets Youkai Watch'd lol!

extralite

I really, really doubt Capcom had low expectations for Gaist Crusher. It was their cross-media project that was gonna ride on MonHun's popularity on the 3DS. I vaguely remember them saying they had high expectations for it, but I'll have to search for a source since I'm not sure.

Anyway, it was a huge flop, just like Square Enix's Gyrozetter.

EDIT: Unless it gets Youkai Watch'd lol!

I already said that I think they were hoping for more but let's face it, Capcom has yet to originate a huge franchise on handhelds. They do best on high end consoles. Actually on PS3 the Dragon's Dogma representative was mentioning a million in Japan as a goal. PS3 failing as a platform made that expectation unrealistic.

MH may have exploded on PSP but it just turned out to be better suited for local multiplayer. It already had good word of mouth for being a fresh new visually appealing game, the kind which usually works for Capcom.

The best they could do on handhelds was Gyakuten Saiban. Trying to take the appeal of MH to a younger audience might have sounded like a good idea but it's not enough to have an anime. Both the anime and the game need to be appealing as well and L5 is just better at targetting the kids market. Capcom is better at targetting the teens and above market.

Still, trying new things is what can pay off. Dragon's Dogma showed there is no point in wasting huge budgets chasing the Western audience when a big one is enough for their home market and a good game will find its audience regardless in the West as well. See it as a bonus if it happens. The established IPs should still do well enough when they arrive.

Gaist Crusher was a low risk gamble. Which had little chance to succeed as Capcom don't know that market very well (I guess it could still grow, maybe it become as big as GS over time). Dragon's Dogma was a high risk gamble and and the Western audience has grown very critical to Japanese games. With Deep Down they're focussing on the Japanese market for now, maximizing opportunity and minimizing risk. Just that they're the first to bring a new exclusive IP with a budget behind it to PS4 will pay off.

L Thammy

Wasn't the conversation about Capcom in general? I apologize if not - I'm not going to bother looking over the previous page at the moment. It's a Japanese company, so I think discussing its actions as a whole is relevant as they'll include the Japanese market.

And, yes, Sin and Punishment 2 should absolutely be judged on Nintendo's standards. It would be ridiculous to judge it as a Treasure game - Treasure was paid even if the game didn't break even. But that doesn't mean that it has to be compared to Mario and Zelda. It should be judged in comparison to other small-budget Nintendo games.

I wouldn't be surprised if the budget for Gaist Crusher the game was low risk. Hell, just look at it. But don't forget that it's a multimedia franchise. I've heard that animation's expensive, but Japan's animation quality has gone down the shitter in the past decade or so, so maybe it's done on the cheap now.

Takao

Banned
I don't know why extralite is sugarcoating Gaist Crusher's failure. Capcom described it as a "major project" and enlisted the help of some big partners. The game has only charted a single time in Dengeki's Top 50, which was on its release week with a paltry 8,053 units. The anime, manga and toys had all hit by the time the game came out. According to leaked Famitsu data, by its second week it had only moved 15% of its initial shipment. Its performance was so below expectations that you can currently find the game for 87% off its MSRP on Amazon. That isn't a recent thing either, as it's been on big discount since the winter months of this year.

Actually on PS3 the Dragon's Dogma representative was mentioning a million in Japan as a goal. PS3 failing as a platform made that expectation unrealistic.

Dragon's Dogma was announced in 2011, had been in development for 2 years before that (2009) and in the conceptual phase for another year before that (2008).

You're saying that this rep is implying that between 2008 and when the game was released in 2012, the PS3 went from being a platform which could house a big new IP to being a "failure"? Because I think its fate was well set in stone by 2008.

Yes, in that it was Capcom's largest team outside of Resident Evil 6 (upwards of 150 internally alone), had a 3-4 year development cycle, and was only successful in Japan, which isn't useful for a game with a budget that large.

In the end it shipped 1.3 million units and sold a lot of that at low prices. Probably lost a boatload.

Here was its stunning NPD debut. It released on May 22nd so it wasn't like it only had one day.

9.) Dragon's Dogma (360, PS3) Capcom - 92K

If we include DA, DD sold 888k in JP. Even with the initial release it sold 609k in JP. That is absolutely massive for a new IP in Japan these days especially on consoles. With such impressive sales I would consider a sequel for it to be very likely........if it hadn't did so bad in the West.

I think Capcom failed at several things with marketing DD in the West. I remembering following the game and the only time gameplay was shown extensively were in these streams of poor quality. They didn't really release good trailers to capture interest. Furthermore, I have to admit DD is not a pretty game. In fact its quite ugly and the art style and area you are in is very generic. The real beauty of DD was its gameplay. I only got into the game after playing the demo.

I really really hope Capcom tries at least one more time with this franchise or even this idea for a game. Capcom must have so many amazing artists, so I hope if there is a sequel in the works they will create a more unique world with varying vistas and places to explore.

Hellraider

Today's Capcom has no idea how to make games, how to market and promote them, where to put them, when to release them, etc. Every single game that is not named Monster Hunter has had one or more handicaps that could be seen and prevented from miles away at no extra cost.

No other company has ever had so much ignorance and stupidity at one point as today's Capcom. Honestly and with no hyperbole, I don't see them being relevant for much longer. Unless someone who understands gaming and the gaming industry steps up inside the company they are destined to die. Nirolak's post describes the general idea very well a couple of posts back.

Takao

Banned
I don't know, Square Enix and Konami never engaged in the kind of stupid that was the way Capcom handled MML3. They managed to turn a win-win scenario into a loss. If Prototype sold poorly, Capcom could finally brush off MML fans by saying it's not economically feasible. If Prototype sold well, Capcom has a game that can make some coin. Hell, if Capcom was feeling really evil, they could lie about how it sold. Instead they decided to tell fans to fuck off and not release something they promised to.

is this the alternate dimension where square enix never existed and konami never existed

You know there is something different with capcom because unlike square and konami they actually seemed to have their shit together for a while whereas the other two just headed downhill from the beginning of the hd era. Maybe its because I actually have expectations of capcom still that their stupidity in many issues annoys me more.

sörine

Banned
I don't know, Square Enix and Konami never engaged in the kind of stupid that was the way Capcom handled MML3. They managed to turn a win-win scenario into a loss. If Prototype sold poorly, Capcom could finally brush off MML fans by saying it's not economically feasible. If Prototype sold well, Capcom has a game that can make some coin. Hell, if Capcom was feeling really evil, they could lie about how it sold. Instead they decided to tell fans to fuck off and not release something they promised to.
I mean that was bad, but at least it didn't kill Hudson.

I actually think Konami are the worst. They are essentially MGSV and PES if you care about that.

Just seeing what these Japanese companies have become makes me sad. Thank god for FROM and Atlus.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I actually think Konami are the worst. They are essentially MGSV and PES if you care about that.

Just seeing what these Japanese companies have become makes me sad. Thank god for FROM and Atlus.

Konami IS the worst - at least people bitch about publishers like SE or Capcom because we still feel they could deliver on some level, but with Konami isnt even worth any kind of discussion.

[3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes 2 (25 days) - 125.000
[PS3+360] Ultra Street Fighter 4 (25 days) - 50.000
[3DS] Senran Kagura 2 (25 days) - 130.000
[WIU] Hyrule Warriors (18 days) - 150.000
[PS4] The Last of Us Remastered (11 days) - 80.000
[PSV+PSP] Toukiden Kiwami (4 days) - 150.000
[PS3+360] Persona 4 Arena Ultimax (4 days) - 80.000
[PSV] LoveLive! School Idol Paradise Vol. 1 / 2 / 3 (4 days) - 35.000

IMHO only ones that do somewhat well in Japan are Tecmo (they still regularly deliver games their audience likes) and Namco (thanks to few big worldwide IPs and licenced anime games selling well in Japan), Sega is shadow of it's former glory but still compared to others in Japan they do not so bad and got Atlus recently which did very nice.

Capcom is becoming second Konami

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I feel Square Enix, Capcom, and Konami are all in pretty different positions right now.

Square Enix: Square I feel is a mixed bag company. They used to be a top dog publisher, but now they're a company with a list of failures as long as their successes. However, what's key here is that they still have a notable number of successes. FFXIV and DQX are big earning services. Tomb Raider (6.5+ million) was a huge success. They have healthy mobile revenue and a good flagship in DQM:SL. Hitman (3.6+ million shipped) and Deus Ex (2.5+ million shipped) successfully relaunched both franchises. They've had success introducing new IPs like Sleeping Dogs and Bravely Default, even if they're not the same kind of earners as the others. DQ still performs strong with re-releases and spin-offs, and the next mainline will likely be a huge hit. Their remasters sell pretty well. There's a huge list of failures and a big list of addendums to the things I listed (Hitman lost money since those copies were overwhelmingly at $5-$10, FFXIV 1.0 was a catastrophic failure, their Japanese console development is in shambles), but they're a company that's having successes and releasing a fair number of relevant products in the market.

Capcom: I've talked about them at length, but basically I feel they're declining through having an increasing number of failures without new successes to counterbalance this, so their overall impact on the market is just going down and since their line-up isn't huge in the first place, that's a painful position to be in.

Konami: Konami is barely even a game publisher anymore. They have Metal Gear games that take the better part of forever to release, a sea of failed franchises, PES which is increasingly comical in terms of sales impact relative to FIFA, and a mobile department that has some successes, but has seen major hits fall by the wayside as the market transitioned from feature phones to smartphones. They're not even someone who comes up in the regular flow of conversation outside of Metal Gear anymore. This is definitely where Capcom doesn't want to end up.

If we include DA, DD sold 888k in JP. Even with the initial release it sold 609k in JP. That is absolutely massive for a new IP in Japan these days especially on consoles. With such impressive sales I would consider a sequel for it to be very likely........if it hadn't did so bad in the West.

I think Capcom failed at several things with marketing DD in the West. I remembering following the game and the only time gameplay was shown extensively were in these streams of poor quality. They didn't really release good trailers to capture interest. Furthermore, I have to admit DD is not a pretty game. In fact its quite ugly and the art style and area you are in is very generic. The real beauty of DD was its gameplay. I only got into the game after playing the demo.

I really really hope Capcom tries at least one more time with this franchise or even this idea for a game. Capcom must have so many amazing artists, so I hope if there is a sequel in the works they will create a more unique world with varying vistas and places to explore.

I think this is part of the core issue for Japanese console development. Even if you make something that is an astronomical hit at home, if it wasn't a really cheaply made game or also a notable hit abroad, it can't actually fund a series anymore. Given the taste divide between East and West, this causes a notable problem for consoles.

Now, assuming they want to continue, Capcom can view this first game as an investment and hope that they garner a better audience with the sequel, or they can try to make another entry in the series at notably lower cost.

So far we've seen them launch an expansion pack, a mobile/Vita f2p game, and Deep Down, which people thought might have been Dragon's Dogma 2 at first, but we found out it was a randomly generated f2p game. I will note that the way Deep Down is designed appears to be a way you can take concepts from a game like Dragon's Dogma and produce a much cheaper to develop product. Given that trifecta, I wonder if they're actually thinking of just taking the concepts that were successes and spreading them to cheaper products, while leaving "Dragon's Dogma 2" as an undeveloped game in case they ever decide to go back to the series as a major retail title at some unknown point in the future.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I want a last Comg point's comparation before making my predictions for July.

So Mpl90, please... :)

No, 'cause you made me sad last week when Famitsu didn't have download sales! Take that, liar! *prr*

...Naah, just kidding.

Comgnet retail chain: preorder stats / comparisons, as of July 29th, 2014

[3DS] Monster Hunter 4G - 487pt

[3DS] Puzzle & Dragons Z - 211pt
[3DS] Yokai Watch 2 - 214pt + 159pt = 373pt
[3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS - 334pt

[3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission - 124pt
[3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission 2 - 97pt

[PS3] Persona 4: Arena - 53pt
[PS3] Persona 4 Ultimax - 45pt + 25pt = 70pt

[PSV] Toukiden: The Age of Demons - 30pt
[PSP] Toukiden: The Age of Demons - 19pt
[PSV] Toukiden: Kiwami - 38pt

[3DS] Senran Kagura: Burst - 39pt
[PSV] Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus (only DX pack so far) - 50pt
[3DS] Senran Kagura 2: Crimson Red - 31pt + 14pt = 45pt

[PS3] Super Robot Taisen OG Saga Masou Kishin III - Pride of Justice - 26pt
[PS3] Super Robot Wars OG Saga Masou Kishin F - Coffin of the End - 24pt

[WIIU] Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - 20pt

[PSV] Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment - 74pt + 60pt = 134pt
[PSV] Love Live! School Idol Paradise - 19pt + 18pt + 15pt = 52pt

Alrus

Seems like Senran Kagura 2 is recovering (or it's just that the special edition didn't have enough pre-orders to appear yet :p), should end up with a good opening in the end.

Smash Bros 3DS is well positioned for a monster opening, I still think releasing it before the Wii U version is kind of a mistake. Smash Bros for Wii U is probably not going to do that great in Japan as a result.

I'm really curious about Toukiden G's performance, so far, outside of MH, no enhanced re-release has managed to improve on its predecessor, but the game was well received and the Vita is healthier.

Also I can't believe Ultimate mission 2 is tracking this good.

Hellraider

I'm really curious about Toukiden G's performance, so far, outside of MH, no enhanced re-release has managed to improve on its predecessor, but the game was well received and the Vita is healthier.

I don't see it doing any better even considering the good reception and the Vita's healthier state.It's still an expansion. Toukiden 2 on the other hand, which for the love of god I hope I'm not wrong again, where they will drop the PSP SKU will be a lot more interesting.

Freedom wars adds another 35k sales with digital, huh.

Sony should make Shift a statue...

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Going by hokanko, the digital charts are in this issue. hiska-kun, you know what to do.

P.S. Some anticipation going by the Hokanko Post

Persona Q - 246,000 digital + retail; 4.6% of digital sales --->around 11,000 digital downloads
Freedom Wars - 223,000 digital + retail; 15.6% of digital sales ---> around 35,000 digital downloads

So, yeah, Freedom Wars numbers were for the few days the game had for June. That's...great considering the usual numbers for digital SKUs of retail games.

Spiegel

Impressive digital sales for Freedom Wars.

And now it feels even worse that Famitsu skipped the month when God Eater 2 was released.

Usobuko

Banned
I think this is part of the core issue for Japanese console development. Even if you make something that is an astronomical hit at home, if it wasn't a really cheaply made game or also a notable hit abroad, it can't actually fund a series anymore. Given the taste divide between East and West, this causes a notable problem for consoles.

Can't wait for all of them courting China.

hiska-kun

[3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes 2 (25 days) - 134.125
[PS3+360] Ultra Street Fighter 4 (25 days) - 59.567
[3DS] Senran Kagura 2 (25 days) - 109.999
[WIU] Hyrule Warriors (18 days) - 87.361
[PS4] The Last of Us Remastered (11 days) - 56.985
[PSV+PSP] Toukiden Kiwami (4 days) - 145.211
[PS3+360] Persona 4 Arena Ultimax (4 days) - 141.212
[PSV] LoveLive! School Idol Paradise Vol. 1 / 2 / 3 (4 days) - 52.613

No, 'cause you made me sad last week when Famitsu didn't have download sales! Take that, liar! *prr*

Thank you ;)
Don't worry, on thursday you will have your digital sales. Probably in your morning, since i'm planning to translate it while i'm having lunch.

L Thammy

I think what Nirolak said about the quality of Capcom's games being their main problem is a bit too narrow. If Inafune is to be believed, there are internal politics issues that need to be resolved. Ono talked about similar issue after his health problems.

As Takao noted, Capcom had an easy way to cancel Mega Man Legends 3 without damaging their reputation with the fans, but didn't even bother taking that route. This interview suggests that they'd already paid for voice acting, so it's hard to imagine that it was done because Capcom is risk-averse. The glut of goofy Capcom wunderwaffes (Dragon's Dogma, Resident Evil 6, Gaist Crusher) came after Inafune's departure. Honestly, I suspect that the whole debacle was done just to spite him for speaking out again the company; very much a "cut off your nose to spite your face" situation.

Capcom seems like they're trying a dartboard strategy at this point. Let's throw money at big budget games. Didn't work? Fuck. Let's throw money at Western games. Didn't work? Fuck. Let's Let's throw money at mobile. Didn't work? Fuck. And so on. At least for Square Enix and Konami, we have an understanding of what they're focusing on.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Can't wait for all of them courting China.

Yeah, courting the rest of Asia (especially China) and moving hard into mobile are two flagship pushes that most Japanese publishers are going for now that they've slowly been forced out of consoles and there's a notable decline in handhelds.

Like when you see Japanese publishers referring to "PC and online" they're usually referring to the types of games you'd expect to launch in China and Korea. Mobile works very well both locally and in mainland Asia so they can just use the same content there.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think what Nirolak said about the quality of Capcom's games being their main problem is a bit too narrow. If Inafune is to be believed, there are internal politics issues that need to be resolved. I think Ono talked about similar issue after his health problems.

As Takao noted, Capcom had an easy way to cancel Mega Man Legends 3 without damaging their reputation with the fans, but didn't even bother taking that route. This interview suggests that they'd already paid for voice acting, so it's hard to imagine that it was done because Capcom is risk-averse. The glut of goofy Capcom wunderwaffes (Dragon's Dogma, Resident Evil 6, Gaist Crusher) came after Inafune's departure. Honestly, I suspect that the whole debacle was done just to spite him for speaking out again the company; very much a "cut off your nose to spite your face" situation.

Capcom seems like they're trying a dartboard strategy at this point. Let's throw money at big budget games. Didn't work? Fuck. Let's throw money at Western games. Didn't work? Fuck. Let's Let's throw money at mobile. Didn't work? Fuck. And so on. At least for Square Enix and Konami, we have an understanding of what they're focusing on.
Yes, the core problem is definitely the management direction and corporate culture that leads them to be unsuccessful in almost every business venture.

While the quality of their titles is definitely a symptom of that, I still feel that quality is the driving factor in the collapse of their sales.

Like I guess my perspective is that you can have bad management and still ship quality products. Take-Two has horrible project management, and loses money in almost every non-GTA year, but they have the highest metacritic average of any publisher and brag about this often.

Here it's a toxic management/corporate culture that's directly impacting game quality in a way that's helping to dismantle the company by damaging their core product through rushed schedules, brain drain, and poor resource allocation.

Or, I guess a tl;dr way of putting this is I agree with your assessment, but that I feel by making increasing game quality their #1 goal, they would have to address all underlying issues (including management) that were causing quality to drop.

Instead, they just seem to be roaming from business opportunity to business opportunity hoping one of them magically fixes their sales issues and panicking when they don't.

Takao

Banned
Konami's stupidity is so strong it's on another scale.

Also I can't believe Ultimate mission 2 is tracking this good.

I don't think it'll have the same kind of legs the first one did, but it should be a strong seller. It does make me wonder if Bandai Namco are planning UM3 in time for next year's film.

[3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes 2 (25 days) - 115,000
[PS3+360] Ultra Street Fighter 4 (25 days) - 75,000
[3DS] Senran Kagura 2 (25 days) - 85,000
[WIU] Hyrule Warriors (18 days) - 155,000
[PS4] The Last of Us Remastered (11 days) - 45,000
[PSV+PSP] Toukiden Kiwami (4 days) - 130,000
[PS3+360] Persona 4 Arena Ultimax (4 days) - 180,000
[PSV] LoveLive! School Idol Paradise Vol. 1 / 2 / 3 (4 days) - 60,000

Top Bottom