• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 29, 2015 (Jul 13 - Jul 19)

Warner's expectations are detailed in this article. But it's in Japanese.
This is the salient part of the article though, via Google translate (if anyone has a better translation, that would be cool)

Thanks for the link, so the 150K is actually more like a dream end goal for the entire lifespan of the game.

regarding Yoshi, i think it will join Wario Land now in the pile of dead Mario sub-series (at least it should if things are fair. Wario's games were better than every Yoshi game except the first YI and yet Wario Land got canned last decade)

The death of Wario Land breaks my heart. What an awesome franchise. I hope Nintendo resurrects it at some point.

Lusankya

04./02. [3DS] Great Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Naruhodou Ryuunosuke no Bouken # <ADV> (Capcom) {2015.07.09} (¥6.264) - 23.917 / 159.607 (-82%)

Eek.
It's a normal drop off for most AA games, e.g. Dual Destinies had -84% after the first week. I guess the fans just want to have this day one.

Poor Dai Gyakuten Saiban. :(

I hope it's selling according to their expectations at least if it's sold out in some places.

Well, it's saying it sold between 80-100% of the initial shipment.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Interesting Pokémon ORAS bump there

Movie came out the same week; it would of been alarming if there wouldn't be some sort of traction for the games.

07./06. [3DS] Rhythm Heaven: The Best+ <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.06.11} (¥5.076) - 17.650 / 343.493 (-28%)

Once Animal Crossing hits the market, expect a more pronounced decline.

I remember a certain user that didn't share my opinion that the title would struggle reaching 500k.

Wonder where he stands now...

Vena

I remember a certain user that didn't share my opinion that the title would struggle reaching 500k.

It'll reach 500k eventually.

Throughout the ages: One of Nintendo's worst franchises

N64 : Yoshi's Story ( Nintendo ) { 1997-12-21 } - 53,428 / 852,864
GBA : Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island ( Nintendo ) { 2002-09-20 } - 95,596 / 526,458
GBA : Yoshi Universal Gravitation ( Nintendo ) { 2004-12-09 } - 34,389 / 261,317
NDS : Yoshi Touch & Go ( Nintendo ) { 2005-01-27 } - 52,407 / 197,337
NDS : Yoshi's Island DS ( Nintendo ) { 2007-03-08 } - 254,523 / 1,053,833
3DS : Yoshi's New Island ( Nintendo ) { 2014-07-24 } - 66,225 / 258,847
WIU : Yoshi's Woolly World (Nintendo) {2015.07.16} - 33.821 / NEW

Thanks for the data, Takao.

I stand by my statement that Yoshi is a bad/weak brand, and that the WiiU is over saturated with 2D platformers. XCX, HyWa, Splatoon, and the like (all varied titles and genres) did much better comparatively speaking and moved hardware, and these titles (arguably) don't even have genre strength on the system. People will buy games on the WiiU, they just won't buy umpteen billion 2D platformers.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Fire Emblem Fates overtook Fire Emblem Awakening this week.

06./04. [3DS] Fire Emblem Fates: Black Kingdom / White Kingdom # <SLG> (Nintendo) {2015.06.25} (¥5.076) - 22.158 / 478.432 <80-100%> (-30%)

Fire Emblem: Awakening ( Nintendo ) { 2012-04-19 } -       262,399 / 460,568

460.568 until 2013.03.31
464.486 until 2013.06.30
469.485 until 2013.12.29

We don't have Famitsu numbers for 2014 yet but Media Create has this for 2014:

2014 CY {2013.12.30 - 2014.12.28} 414. [3DS] Fire Emblem: Awakening <SLG> (Nintendo) {2012.04.19} (¥4.800) - 10.398 / 481.865

and at the release of Fates:

2015 26 {2015.06.22 - 2015.06.28} 00. [3DS] Fire Emblem: Awakening <SLG> (Nintendo) {2012.04.19} (¥4.800) - * / 492.000

Vena

460.568 until 2013.03.31
464.486 until 2013.06.30
469.485 until 2013.12.29

We don't have Famitsu numbers for 2014 yet but Media Create has this for 2014:

2014 CY {2013.12.30 - 2014.12.28} 414. [3DS] Fire Emblem: Awakening <SLG> (Nintendo) {2012.04.19} (¥4.800) - 10.398 / 481.865

With digital, wouldn't it be safe to say it has outsold its predecessor? I don't think digital adoption was as strong then as now, especially. But ya, one more week or so, until it passes it in pure retail.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

Rhythm Heaven will clear 500k likely before end year holidays.

i don't see how suddenly it will stop selling.

vinnygambini

I think it will be hard for Rhythm Heaven to continue selling decently due to the girls segment overlapping soon with the launch of Animal Crossing.

We'll see by the end of the year surely, but I think the above might come to bear.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I think it will be hard for Rhythm Heaven to continue selling decently due to the girls segment overlapping soon with the launch of Animal Crossing.

We'll see by the end of the year surely, but I think the above might come to bear.

Girls segment overlapping for 2 games with nothing in common doesn't mean much. We 'll see very soon what the future of Best+ will be if it will be over 400k after summer holidays and Obon.

God of War can't find success at any Sony platform in Japan.

Orgen

Movie came out the same week; it would of been alarming if there wouldn't be some sort of traction for the games.

Rythm Heaven will end up with an LTD closer to 750.000 than 500.000. People think that all games stop selling when they disappear from the top 30 and that's not true for several Nintendo titles.

Will find out in some MC white paper from 2017 :D

And yoshi's numbers is because there are no more than 150.000 2D platforms hardcore fans. Let's hope that it can reach at least 100.000 because it's a fantastic game

Should NX launch with a Mario platformer? I remember peanut gallery comments blaming the lack of one contributing to GCN's failures back then. These days it seems like a new Mario jump and run does little to excite the public and may actually worsen Nintendo's image in some ways.

sörine

Banned
Should NX launch with a Mario platformer? I remember peanut gallery comments blaming the lack of one contributing to GCN's failures back then. These days it seems like a new Mario jump and run does little to excite the public and may actually worsen Nintendo's image in some ways.
It needs to launch with Super Mario Maker DX.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Lack of advertising, an awkward release date, the stigma against the game for daring not be Metroid Prime.

The game did ok in the US at least (breaking 500K last I checked). Metroid Prime didn't matter lol. In Japan, not so much, plus DKCR3D probably worked against DKC:TF's potential sales.

Pathetic performance for Yoshi's Woolly World.

I wrongly thought that Splatoon would breathe some life into the anemic Wii U market where even Nintendo first-party titles struggle hard to sell. And going by shipment data I'm not the only one who had though that.

I predicted 70.000 units [2 weeks] encouraged by a good opening in Europe and Splatoon bringing new users, and it's not that I was thinking I was being overly optimistic. With Wii U Nintendo have gone one step further and they have managed to create a platform that is also toxic for their own games.

Yoshi's New Island probably soured folks on the franchise to be honest, and that only released last year. I think they should have not done YNI, since Woolly World looks to be a much better game. We'll see though, since it could just mean Wii U owners only buy Splatoon, Mario Kart 8 & Smash...

Kirby's Rainbow Curse had Kirby Triple Deluxe on the 3DS not much before it, and the latter game did very well. Also Japan doesn't take well to non-traditional Kirby games compared to the traditional ones.

Vena

sörine;172697216 said:
It needs to launch with Super Mario Maker DX.

I... have a good feeling that it will. My optimism is returning!

Yoshi's New Island probably soured folks on the franchise to be honest, and that only released last year. I think they should have not done YNI, since Woolly World looks to be a much better game. We'll see though, since it could just mean Wii U owners only buy Splatoon, Mario Kart 8 & Smash...

Yoshi has never done well, see Takao's post on it, aside from the one oddity on the NDS. Its always been a weak brand, and the damage from YNI and "farmed out spin-off" brand stigma definitely didn't help a release on the WiiU of all things. As I said before, I think our actual litmus test on the "Splatoon Effect" won't come until we get something that is much more meaty as a game and not a (1.) damaged and aged brand, (2.) another cookie-cutter 2D platformer. SMM is a different beast entirely and will sell a lot for a lot of reasons.

But if we look at branching genre sales, XCX, HyWa, and others have done well enough despite not having extended audiences or established audiences to pull from and this was before Splatoon. Obviously none of these are actually strong sales in Japan, though, but they're not coming out the gate with two bullets to the knees to sell 30k. Hyrule, with dat Zelda power, went to sell over a million out of nowhere WW.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
But if we look at branching genre sales, XCX, HyWa, and others have done well enough despite not having extended audiences or established audiences to pull from and this was before Splatoon.

So basically Nintendo needs another family friendly non-platformer is what you're suggesting :). Maybe they can market Star Fox with adorable amiibos or something xD.

I never suggested Yoshi was a super strong brand. However, I feel bad that when they finally made a half-decent Yoshi game (it has a 77 on metacritic). Honestly most of the complaints are "it's too much like Yoshi's Island". If it wasn't for the super mediocre sequels in between (DS & New Island), it'd actually would have been 20+ years since the last good one.

i think part of DKCTF's massive drop from DKCR is that DKCR had somewhat of a mixed reception due to motion controls. i guess many people passed on the sequel because they thought it would play the same.

there's also other factors like DKCR relying more on casual buyers that completely disappeared on Wii U and people just being satisfied with the game to the point of not wanting another one (this last one is somewhat similar to why Metroid Prime 2 had such a big drop from the first one. lots of people didn't feel like playing the second one)
Nope. In retrospect, DKCR did well because a lot of people who bought NSMBWii bought it. Ironically, it was not meant for such a casual audience considering how difficult the game was. Now that the particular audience is aware of that, the more casual platforming would never buy into a sequel. What you have left is the main DKC fans who like the difficulty, and thus the 100K it eventually sold. Honestly DKC:TF is also a very predictable sequel, and I personally thought it was worse than DKCR in terms of levels.

Are you still convinced Mario Party 10 will sell 300K in the end btw? It's barely hanging around #30, but that's like 1000 units a week right?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I... have a good feeling that it will. My optimism is returning!

At this point, if there's no Pokémon Z at launch, I'd go directly with the next main 3D Mario. It'd be 3 years since 3D World, after all. It'd be overkill to have (possibly) both Mario and Zelda at launch, but if there's no Pokémon at launch and if they can release games steadily enough...

Vena

So basically Nintendo needs another family friendly non-platformer is what you're suggesting :). Maybe they can market Star Fox with adorable amiibos or something xD.

I never suggested Yoshi was a super strong brand. However, I feel bad that when they finally made a half-decent Yoshi game (it has a 77 on metacritic). Honestly most of the complaints are "it's too much like Yoshi's Island". If it wasn't for the super mediocre sequels in between (DS & New Island), it'd actually would have been 20+ years since the last good one.

They already have it, Toad. Easy to produce, charming, and not a 2D platformer. Make one for every EoY holiday or something, and let it sell then. It gives them much needed variety, for one, and it tackles a genre they haven't really touched in some time: puzzles (outside of Pushmo... which is a successful franchise). Heck, make a Pushmo X Captain Toad
Musou
. These types of projects also work mostly of pre-made assets, so it doesn't require large teams.

Family friend in the middle of summer seems irrelevant to me. And its not that Yoshi is or isn't a "super strong brand", its not even a average brand to begin with. Its always been an under-performer relatively speaking. So while it may be a good game, its a good game with baggage and goes into that long, long post that Nirolak had about brand growth and consumer confidence in your product. If any character needs to be retired to "Smash status" its Yoshi. Un-retire Captain Falcon and hand him over to Shin'en or something.

At this point, if there's no Pokémon Z at launch, I'd go directly with the next main 3D Mario. It'd be 3 years since 3D World, after all. It'd be overkill to have (possibly) both Mario and Zelda at launch, but if there's no Pokémon at launch and if they can release games steadily enough...

Steamlined Nintendo produced Splatoon in 1.5 years, headed by mostly young pups of their dev scene. Think about that.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
They already have it, Toad. Easy to produce, charming, and not a 2D platformer. Make one for every EoY holiday or something, and let it sell then. It gives them much needed variety, for one, and it tackles a genre they haven't really touched in some time: puzzles (outside of Pushmo... which is a successful franchise). Heck, make a Pushmo X Captain Toad
Musou
. These types of projects also work mostly of pre-made assets, so it doesn't require large teams.

Family friend in the middle of summer seems irrelevant to me. And its not that Yoshi is or isn't a "super strong brand", its not even a average brand to begin with. Its always been an under-performer relatively speaking. So while it may be a good game, its a good game with baggage and goes into that long, long post that Nirolak had about brand growth and consumer confidence in your product.

Anyways, well they should plaster posters of the cute Yoshi Amiibos alongside Splatoon or something.

Vena

Anyways, well they should plaster posters of the cute Yoshi Amiibos alongside Splatoon or something.

Which will help the amiibo's sell, not the game. And I don't think those amiibo need help selling in particular, lol. The amiibo are going to make back the game's dev budget.

The ideal scenario is that Nintendo takes something new and unexpected, say... their upcoming idol RPG FE game... and give it a good marketing push with a Splatoon bundle, give your hardware owners a reason to, you know, want to buy your games (they do a good job of this with 3DS titles). There's apparently at least ~100k RPG fans on the system, maybe you can get a few more here and there, and maybe you can get the people interested in Splatoon to check out a new game as well. (Doesn't hurt that its tied to FE as well.) Heck, it doesn't even have to be new or unexpected, just make it something different.

vinnygambini

The hints released from TPC seem to point that Pokemon Z will launch in February, but we could see a port for NX at launch.

I know I'd double dip :)

Hopefully Yoshi does go away. Nothing again it but Nintendo has way too many 2D platformers games as is. And if I had to cut one it would be the one that's closet to Mario in brand. Mario's saturation is too much. Yoshi can live on as powerup in Mario.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Musou

Family friend in the middle of summer seems irrelevant to me. And its not that Yoshi is or isn't a "super strong brand", its not even a average brand to begin with. Its always been an under-performer relatively speaking. So while it may be a good game, its a good game with baggage and goes into that long, long post that Nirolak had about brand growth and consumer confidence in your product. If any character needs to be retired to "Smash status" its Yoshi. Un-retire Captain Falcon and hand him over to Shin'en or something.

Steamlined Nintendo produced Splatoon in 1.5 years, headed by mostly young squids (or kids?) of their dev scene. Think about that.

I don't know what you mean (must be the late time here in Italy XD ). I mean, we know Splatoon didn't take that long to be developed, and its freshness made everyone confused about their beings. So many don't know if they are kids or squids. Are you talking about quality / time needed to develop the game / possibility of a Splatoon sequel at NX's launch (which is...something I wasn't thinking about. I don't find its chances so high, though), or whatelse?

EDIT: Maybe you're talking about Nintendo having the possibility of getting games out at good pace. Well, you probably know how much of a "family of consoles" idea supporter I am, especially in terms of how it could potentially end the droughts problems (one of the ancient, radical Nintendo problems in the past years), and I hope in a good execution of that idea. It's just that I hope they can release games on a steady pace since right after the launch, not releasing bombs at launch and leaving months without (relevant) exclusive content. This is also why, while I certainly wouldn't hate a Zelda-Mario combo at launch, I hope that wouldn't mean getting jackshit for the following months (extremisation, but hopefully you get what I'm talking about).

...Is it 2016 yet?

Wiggy

No 'fossil' and only one 'extinct' yoshi joke after 5 pages.

I'm not sure if I'm impressed or disappointed...

Vena

I don't know what you mean (must be the late time here in Italy XD ). I mean, we know Splatoon didn't take that long to be developed, and its freshness made everyone confused about their beings. So many don't know if they are kids or squids. Are you talking about quality / time needed to develop the game / possibility of a Splatoon sequel at NX's launch (which is...something I wasn't thinking about. I don't find its chances so high, though), or whatelse?

I'm saying they have a very efficient and effective, quality turn around on a project like Splatoon. They made a hell of a game in 1.5 years with young staff members at the helm.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Which will help the amiibo's sell, not the game. And I don't think those amiibo need help selling in particular, lol. The amiibo are going to make back the game's dev budget.

The ideal scenario is that Nintendo takes something new and unexpected, say... their upcoming idol RPG FE game... and give it a good marketing push with a Splatoon bundle, give your hardware owners a reason to, you know, want to buy your games (they do a good job of this with 3DS titles). There's apparently at least ~100k RPG fans on the system, maybe you can get a few more here and there, and maybe you can get the people interested in Splatoon to check out a new game as well. (Doesn't hurt that its tied to FE as well.) Heck, it doesn't even have to be new or unexpected, just make it something different.

Exactly. I was talking about selling those Amiibos, since they're adorable. The game is a separate deal.

DQX continues to sell to someone apparently (another 1000 units last week), so there is a crowd outside of just the DQX owners (Xeno owners perhaps?)

sense

wasn't there supposed to be a dragon quest game announcement for this week? it should have leaked by now right

ZhugeEX

Banned
Apologies if this has already been asked. I haven't had time to go through the thread.

If I understand correctly. The PS4 now includes a free copy of bloodborne. So why isn't there a bloodborne sku in the top 20/30?

Wiggy

Apologies if this has already been asked. I haven't had time to go through the thread.

If I understand correctly. The PS4 now includes a free copy of bloodborne. So why isn't there a bloodborne sku in the top 20/30?

Maybe because it's a digital code ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯.

And it's not every PS4, just ones at most of the big retailers. And only till September apparently.

hiska-kun

This week's releases {2015.07.23}

[PS3] [PS4] Sengoku Basara 4: Sumeragi # <ACT> (Capcom) (¥6.469) (¥7.549)
E88577D8-5C20-4F04-BA79-6B11119093FD_zpsfrvsphmp.jpg

2BFC9645-87D3-4B7D-90E2-2AB96E01EF1A_zpsl1uyjcbl.jpg

[PSV] Makaigami Trillion # <RPG> (Compile Heart) (¥7.344)

[3DS] Langrisser: Re:Incarnation Tensei <RPG> (Extreme) (¥5.980)

Promotion for Dragon Quest VIII is becoming bigger {2015.08.27}

Event in Ikebukuro Bic Camera, the producer of Sengoku Basara 4 Sumeragi (Kobayashi) was signing his game.

saichi

Still here. And your joke gets funnier each week.

With summer holidays and Obon, it will likely to sell another 100K by end of August. I fail to see how it will struggle to sell another 60K to reach 500K even after Animal Crossing hits the market.

The good thing is that we won't have to wait too long to see who is right. The result would be really obvious by the end of this year.

vinnygambini

Still here. And your joke gets funnier each week.

With summer holidays and Obon, it will likely to sell another 100K by end of August. I fail to see how it will struggle to sell another 60K to reach 500K even after Animal Crossing hits the market.

The good thing is that we won't have to wait too long to see who is right. The result would be really obvious by the end of this year.

It's time to duel! Tune in by the end of this year to see who is right on KidsWB! :)

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car

GBA : Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island ( Nintendo ) { 2002-09-20 } - 95,596 / 526,458
GBA : Yoshi Universal Gravitation ( Nintendo ) { 2004-12-09 } - 34,389 / 261,317

Yeesh, of all the poorly-performing franchises to keep insistently churning out titles, profits be damned, why this one?

Shengar

FE: Fates definitely will surpassed Awakening. While I doubt it'll beat Mystery of the Emblem, it still an amazing performance nonetheless. It seems the game have a good word of mouth and the negativity surrounding it at the some time after launch day is just a minor part of the internet.

Bitanator

What are your expectations on how well Dragon Quest VIII will perform? It seems to have lots of added features and looks like a decent port. Can it continue to do well into the holidays. I just wish it sells big and give enough incentive to send it over to the states... but a man can dream

Yep. Yoshi IP is plagued with poor quality games. Yoshi's Story was expected to be SNES's sequel and came out nowhere near it. Touch n Go was a mediocre at best attempt and Yoshi's Island DS was highly antecipated to be the SNES classic successor and turned out to be a big disappointment. New Island dug the hole deeper. As great as Woolly World is, the previous busts took a hit into the franchise reputation.

It's sales were mostly based on expectations to live up to the original SNES Yoshi's Island, which Nintendo never managed to repeat.

E-phonk

Banned
Toad. Easy to produce, charming, and not a 2D platformer. Make one for every EoY holiday or something, and let it sell then.

I'd argue the success of toad is partly because it felt fresh. It was easy to make, but it was also made by one of their top teams (ead tokyo) which assured people it was a good game. Something no one was/is assured of with yoshi.

This kind of spin off games are what nintendo should do more often for the mario franchise imo. Unique gameplay re-using assets and developed in a short timeframe. It doesn't even matter which mario characters gets featured (boo, yoshi, toad, shy guy, rosalina, bowser ...) they're all well known characters to carry a good original spin off.
That would be a lot more exciting than getting relatively safe (and often mediocre) 2D yoshi platformers like they have been doing recently.

Top Bottom