• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 3, 2017 (Jan 16 - Jan 22)

Fdkn

Great to see Gravity Rush 2 take the top spot, would the game hitting 100K WW by now be considered profitable ?

No, fortunately it should have sold more than that.

Unfortunately, it could still not be enough.

Fortunately, pricedrops will come in the west.

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
Check taobao HongKong version seems sold around 3k last 30 days
Count the digital and SIE-China publish the China version soon.
It seems will surpass 10k here. More than America?

Takao

Banned
Several (all?) handheld franchises have declined in sales significantly when trying to transition from Vita to the bigger PS4 audience so it's still an accomplishment.

I'm not usually huge on userbase comparisons, but when you're talking about <1 million in install base, it's a valid point, especially for a new IP.

Out of all of Sony's handheld properties, GR is probably the one that made the most sense on a home console anyway. They're character action games, which have mainly been a home console genre.

Great to see Gravity Rush 2 take the top spot, would the game hitting 100K WW by now be considered profitable ?

You know this is a first party game that's been in development for like 5 years, right?

L~A

Was expecting about 50k for Yoshi, looks like I was slightly off.

Also, lots of comparison to the Wii U version, but I'd say Yoshi's New Island (the other Yoshi game on Nintendo 3DS) makes for a more interesting comparison.

- 3DS Yoshi's New Island 66.225 (258.847) (2014.7.24) [Famitsu data]

- [3DS] Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2017.01.19} (¥4.700) - 39.555 / NEW [Media Create data]

ethomaz

Banned
PS4 Never Give Up Road Trip

Week 150: PS3 3.531.136 / PS4 4.100.667
Week 151: PS3 3.571.096 / PS4 4.187.836
Week 152: PS3 3.608.634 / PS4 4.234.839
Week 153: PS3 3.639.530 / PS4 4.268.215
Week 154: PS3 3.669.761
Week 155: PS3 3.699.738
Week 156: PS3 3.735.799
Week 157: PS3 3.784.724
Week 158: PS3 3.823.222
Week 159: PS3 3.857.974
Week 160: PS3 3.904.532
Week 170: PS3 3.962.314
Week 171: PS3 4.037.400
Week 172: PS3 4.274.486
Week 173: PS3 4.385.005
Week 174: PS3 4.499.373

Needs ~19k per week.

Durante

03./00. [PS4] Valkyria Revolution <SLG> (Sega) {2017.01.19} (¥7.990) - 38.197 / NEW
Sega Japan: "Hey, we have this new SRPG with innovative mechanics and a neat setting. It's the best thing we made in ages, and it's doing pretty well both nationally and globally! The critical reception and word of mouth are fantastic. How should we follow that up?"

Sega Japan: "Ok, here's what we do: let's put a compromised sequel on a handheld that is struggling globally with tacked-on forced replay and multiplayer mechanics, and change the well-received setting to a generic anime high-school! We might catch lightning in a bottle and get some of that Monster Hunter dosh."

Sega Japan: "Hmm, for some completely unpredictable reason this didn't go so well. Failed hard outside Japan, and didn't really make more money here either. Let's try again with a slightly better setting, but still on the same platform and without a global release."

Sega Japan: "That didn't work either."

[... nothing ...]

Sega Europe: "Hey we put that original well-received innovative SRPG on PC with a decent port by paying 3 people for a few months and sold like hot cakes! Insane profit margin."

Sega Japan: "Wait, I think I got it. What we need is a JRPG which does away with the USPs that made the first Valkyria a global success, and we need to release it on PS3 and PS4."

I obviously dont know the budget for the game, but judging by the size and production values i would say it needs at least yakuza type sales to be profitable.

Ferr986

yay for Kat!
qbOfzfj.png

mrmickfran

Was expecting about 50k for Yoshi, looks like I was slightly off.

Also, lots of comparison to the Wii U version, but I'd say Yoshi's New Island (the other Yoshi game on Nintendo 3DS) makes for a more interesting comparison.
Even if it's a port, Woolly World absolutely can not sell lower than New Island.

That's an injustice that can't be ignored.

hiska-kun

Gravity Rush 2 doing better than expected. Nothing special though. Valkyria is a big bomba but its apparently awful anyway so meh. Yoshi also not that great but maybe it will have legs?

Also didn't Miitopia get like a 300k shipment or something? Guess we will see it hit the bargain bins big time soon.

First shipment was 130k.

Fisico

Simple math tell me 100k copies make around ~6M$
20 people working full time developing the game for 3 years cost around 6M$

Now if you add marketing, localization, manufacturing, distribution and everything involved from the beginning of development to the game sitting on shelves you can probably guess that the overall cost for the game is way higher than only development costs.

Also I'd hazard a guess saying GR2 took a bit more than 20 people working full time for 3 years.

And let's not even talk about cost/opportunity there.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Sony officially has sold 1000 times more PS4's than XB1's in japan this week o_O

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.

100k WW is very easy consider the digital version and it will do better in Asia cause Gravity Rush Remastered on PS+ here.
I believe it will surpass 200k LTD.

But consider this game's size, I think it need 250k to be profitable.

Oh I ignore that Sony don't need to pay tax, so maybe it's balanced

T-0800

Good news for MS. YOY XB1 has only dropped by 17 units.

Bad news for MS. Same time last year it sold 52 units.

Pachael

Sega Japan: "Wait, I think I got it. What we need is a JRPG which does away with the USPs that made the first Valkyria a global success, and we need to release it on PSVita and PS4. And since we're at it we'll pay for the port to XB1 when we localise it for the West"

Corrected - there's no PS3 release. And there'll be a XB1 release for the West.

Still, could be worse

Aki-at

Sega Japan: "Hey, we have this new SRPG with innovative mechanics and a neat setting. It's the best thing we made in ages, and it's doing pretty well both nationally and globally! The critical reception and word of mouth are fantastic. How should we follow that up?"

Sega Japan: "Ok, here's what we do: let's put a compromised sequel on a handheld that is struggling globally with tacked-on forced replay and multiplayer mechanics, and change the well-received setting to a generic anime high-school! We might catch lightning in a bottle and get some of that Monster Hunter dosh."

Sega Japan: "Hmm, for some completely unpredictable reason this didn't go so well. Failed hard outside Japan, and didn't really make more money here either. Let's try again with a slightly better setting, but still on the same platform and without a global release."

[... nothing ...]

Sega Europe: "Hey we put that original well-received innovative SRPG on PC with a decent port by paying 3 people for a few months and sold like hot cakes! Insane profit margin."

Sega Japan: "Wait, I think I got it. What we need is a JRPG which does away with the USPs that made the first Valkyria a global success, and we need to release it on PS3 and PS4."

I think calling the original Valkyria a global success is stretching it a bit :p

Though since they kept harping on about Valkyria Chronicles 4 after announcing Valkyria Revolution and how that was during their phase of Japanese games for the Japanese makes me think they just wanted to recoup sunk cost before moving forward with a proper Chronicles title.

I think calling the original Valkyria a global success is stretching it a bit :p

Though since they kept harping on about Valkyria Chronicles 4 after announcing Valkyria Revolution and how that was during their phase of Japanese games for the Japanese makes me think they just wanted to recoup sunk cost before moving forward with a proper Chronicles title.

1 million shipped on PS3. PC sales after some time nearing 1 million. By SEGA's standards that has to be a success, even if its just on the potential of the property.

Milijango

With regards to profit: has anything by Japan Studio done well recently? If not, does Sony mind?

I don't think anyone will be asking for more Gravity Rush for a long while, but hopefully these numbers are enough to show Sony that games that are off the beaten track are worth creating.

hiska-kun

PS3 VS PS4
ps4_zpspolaqukh.jpg

PS4 needs to average 27.808 to stay ahead to 5 million.

Pokemon XY VS Pokemon SunMoon
pokemon_zpsygmxvrmc.jpg

Next week is over

Mario Maker 3DS VS Wii U (race for the million)
MarioMaker_zpsexghsaho.jpg

Xbox family comparison
xbox_zps6hiktlhf.jpg

No words...

Kazuo Hirai

1 million shipped on PS3. PC sales after some time nearing 1 million. By SEGA's standards that has to be a success, even if its just on the potential of the property.

Is it in humble bundle or discount a lot.?
I often find Japanese games less than $1 in my country(low-pirce-region)
If your game's price is really low and people may buy it for collect cards.

Takao

Banned

[... nothing ...]

Durante, you seem like a smart enough guy, so why post something so stupid? The original Valkyria Chronicles release on PS3 didn't do well. It famously was an initial bomb in the west that only had a long tail thanks to $20 clearance sales. That's why every subsequent game in the franchise seems to have been made with a smaller budget. VC3 and Azure weren't even developed internally.

As for Azure's platforms, I don't know why that's really an issue. It's pretty clear some Japanese publishers view PC as a platform for library sales. That's understandable. PC is the second most price sensitive market in the industry. Launch Valkyria: Revolution at $50-$60 alongside the console/handheld SKUs and you're guaranteed to see stagnant five digit numbers on Steamspy for months. Launch the PC version at a lower price once the other SKUs stop selling and you might move more volume. Well, assuming the game isn't completely eviscerated in reviews and people don't just shun the game in general. Sega made a Vita SKU for Asia and a XB1 SKU for the west. I have no doubt there will be a PC one eventually.

DKHF

I'm not usually huge on userbase comparisons, but when you're talking about <1 million in install base, it's a valid point, especially for a new IP.

Out of all of Sony's handheld properties, GR is probably the one that made the most sense on a home console anyway. They're character action games, which have mainly been a home console genre.
It's valid but still an IP that barely sold before having some growth between entries (something extremely rare in the dedicated device Japanese market at the moment) and having a smooth transition from handheld to console saleswise is still a decent accomplishment IMO.

Is it in humble bundle or discount a lot.?
I often find Japanese games less than $1 in my country(low-pirce-region)
If your game's price is really low and people may buy it for collect cards.

Yes of course the PC price has gone very low but even initial uptake was notably good. VC1 remaster on PS4 happened for a reason as well. SEGA has seen potential in VC.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Gravity Rush 2 sold much better than what I thought (congrats, Sony!), Yoshi slightly worse than what I expected, but still better than the original Wii U release.

Slightly related...Holy hell, Comgnet seriously underestimated both Yoshi and GR. The former ended at 12pts at best, while the latter at 36pt. That's an insanely low pre-order points / thousands of actual sales, even for the former; Nintendo were among the games with the lowest ratios in the past, but never this low (except for Wii Party). Valkyria Revolution ended at 32pts (PS4) and 14pts (Vita), so slightly better than one, which is less insane. This makes me more hopeful for Nioh.

Takao

Banned
It's valid but still an IP that barely sold before having some growth between entries (something extremely rare in the dedicated device Japanese market at the moment) and having a smooth transition from handheld to console saleswise is still a decent accomplishment IMO.

Does that matter when outside of a PC/iOS/Android/PS5 port this is probably the last time we'll see the series lol?

L~A

06./06. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sukiyaki <RPG> (Level 5) {2016.12.15} (¥4.800) - 20.831 / 629.229 (-10%)

I find it pretty amusing that YW3 Sukiyaki is holding better than other games (even Pokémon), after how the original versions were overshipped.

Kazuo Hirai

Gravity Rush 2 sold much better than what I thought (congrats, Sony!), Yoshi slightly worse than what I expected, but still better than the original Wii U release.

Slightly related...Holy hell, Comgnet seriously underestimated both Yoshi and GR. The former ended at 12pts at best, while the latter at 36pt. That's an insanely low pre-order points / thousands of actual sales, even for the former; Nintendo were among the games with the lowest ratios in the past, but never this low (except for Wii Party). Valkyria Revolution ended at 32pts (PS4) and 14pts (Vita), so slightly better than one, which is less insane. This makes me more hopeful for Nioh.

COMG underestimated every Sony's game, TLG also only get 30+ pt and sold 80k+
PS4 game has 2000*pt nowadays
Look the Amazon.US and Amazon.uk, don't worry Nioh, and it may sell hundreds of thousands like BloodBorne in China.

DKHF

Does that matter when outside of a PC/iOS/Android/PS5 port this is probably the last time we'll see the series lol?
Does it matter for the future of the series (which I wasn't discussing)? Probably not though it doesn't really matter since they said this is the last game in the series before it came out. Does it matter when we are discussing how it has performed in Japan relative to the trends in the Japanese market (which I am doing)? Yes.

Durante

Durante, you seem like a smart enough guy, so why post something so stupid?
I don't think it's stupid, obviously. Even if VC was not initially a huge success everywhere, when you launch a new franchise you should also think about the critical reception of the franchise as well as word of mouth, and how that will develop as long term potential.

The decisions made for VC2 were directly responsible for killing off that successful global franchise potential.

As for Azure's platforms, I don't know why that's really an issue. It's pretty clear some Japanese publishers view PC as a platform for library sales. That's understandable. PC is the second most price sensitive market in the industry. Launch Valkyria: Revolution at $50-$60 alongside the console/handheld SKUs and you're guaranteed to see stagnant five digit numbers on Steamspy for months.
The only really comparable same-date release is Tales of Zestiria. It didn't have the advantage of a game in the same franchise being extremely well received on Steam, but it reached 100k sales rather rapidly at full price, seemingly without affecting the sales of the console SKU in the west at all compared to previous entries in the franchise. It now sits at ~300k owners.

Aki-at

I keep seeing this figure of 1 million for PS3 but I can't see how. Original Valkyria in Japan did something like 220k to 250k (in part thanks to budget re-release and anime) whilst in America it climbed upto 130k according to NPD leaks back in like 2010 or 2011. It wasn't anywhere close to a million by my reckoning unless it just kept selling in America. 1 million between the original, PC and PS4 port is more likely to me.

And I was mainly talking about the sales of the original influencing the decision making of the series going forward, whilst the PC port has without a doubt proved there is a significant user base for the franchise in the West, Valkyria Revolution was an idea floating around and being planned for before the port was released. Infact the successive changes in gameplay makes me think upper management gave the greenlight because it was designed as an action rpg, after seeing the sales explosion of the ports made them change their tune.

hiska-kun

And for REVII. Maybe 250k?

hiska-kun

I find it pretty amusing that YW3 Sukiyaki is holding better than other games (even Pokémon), after how the original versions were overshipped.

Btw I wanted to say it some weeks ago but I forgot I think. Sushi and Tempura prices are back to normal (they were sold for 2.980¥ by November). But since Sukiyaki was sold out, demand for these two versions increased and an it seems an additional shipment happened. Prices back to 4.980¥.

Double post. The thread is slower than last week lol

Top Bottom