• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 3, 2017 (Jan 16 - Jan 22)

Oregano

Graces F had a very mild opening back then.
Zestiria is standing >550k outside Japan with 300k being from Steam.

It wouldn't surprise me if Berseria was to do half what Zestiria did on PC, now on PS4 a slight decline was to be expected at first but longterm sales should help it remain steady at least, if not it's rather worrying.

On the same timeframe (one year) 300k across PS4/PC would be a dissapointing result, anything below a disaster.
Overall the series wil probably stay on a 500k-1M level worldwide for a long time.

First month

The concern would obviously be whether the games after Berseria continue the decline. If every subsequent game drops they need to reposition.

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
Graces F had a very mild opening back then.
Zestiria is standing >550k outside Japan with 300k being from Steam.

It wouldn't surprise me if Berseria was to do half what Zestiria did on PC, now on PS4 a slight decline was to be expected at first but longterm sales should help it remain steady at least, if not it's rather worrying.

On the same timeframe (one year) 300k across PS4/PC would be a dissapointing result, anything below a disaster.
Overall the series wil probably stay on a 500k-1M level worldwide for a long time.

First month

TOZ was $5 on sale, it is why it sold 300k

Fisico

TOZ was $5 on sale, it is why it sold 300k

We already had this discussion last week (about keeping expectation in check for a new Valkyria Chronicles), I don't have the exact data anymore but around half of these 300k were at full price, the 5$ sale was a short one and most of the other sales happened when the game was discounted in the 15-20$ range.

Talking about that
, as expected Steam sales for Berseria are at 40k which is around half of what Zestiria did on the same timeframe.

The concern would obviously be whether the games after Berseria continue the decline. If every subsequent game drops they need to reposition.

With the switch to UE4 we might see something different in term of visuals, which is what define the appeal of the product more than everything else (because on a gameplay level they are pretty fine) the scope of an entry might not change much though.

Orgen

So according to Nintendo, Nes Classic Edition (Famicon) sell-through is 1.5M worldwide.
Even pre-orders for Switch are strong, they keep expectations of 2 millions shipped by the end of March.

There're more unannounced titles from Nintendo for 3DS.
Chris vindicated!

I already told you guys. I'm not good at predicting sales numbers but I can predict there'll be some meltdowns this year in these threads hahaha

duckroll

With the switch to UE4 we might see something different in term of visuals, which is what define the appeal of the product more than everything else (because on a gameplay level they are pretty fine) the scope of an entry might not change much though.

Different in what sense?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Ōkami;229478777 said:
Last year Nintendo said Fates was at 780k in Japan, they probably counted getting the other game as a second purchase rather than DLC and I guess they changed their minds for this time.

Awakening, Fates and Holy War Story are all at the 500k mark, considerably higher than all the other games but Mystery of the Emblem.

Fates was very front-loaded, expected since it was the second entry, but unlike what first month sales suggested it dropped at west.

Fisico

Different in what sense?

I wouldn't mind knowing too, I'm not versed enough in engines to talk about it in detail, but I expect that going with Unreal should have multiple benefits: streamlining development, better middleware compatibilites, easier multiplatform dev etc. as for "pure" visual aspects like lightning, shadows, texture streaming,anti aliasing, draw distance, anisotropic filtering or whatever else technical term exist to say "better looking games"

Though whether or not they get all these benefits for the first game is another matter (it's not like changing engine magically make things better), on one hand it's always a struggle, on the other with the unified development studio at Bamco they will probably have some help from people involved with Tekken 7 and/or Ace Combat 7, they also have a decent CTO which is there to help smoothen the transition to UE4.
And Higuchi will also make his triumphant return at long last

The 3D models they'll make will not be better, but they will be displayed in a better way, something Tales should benefit a lot since they've gone for more realistic looking visuals for the past few years.

Possibly relevant:

It'll be interesting to see how it does elsewhere but it's looking likely that Berseria will be significantly down worldwide from Zestiria.

Expected considering it coming it at the time of 4 other games, one being Kingdom Hearts. Also I don't think the look of this iteration brought much hype.

PC sales should also be considerably down since there's no promotion this time and the trend of sequels having serious decline on that platform.

Oregano

I think the benefits of easier multiplatform development with UE4 might be a bit muted for Tales considering Vita would be the best SKU to add.

Higuchi is stuck in Mario Sports hell.

Expected considering it coming it at the time of 4 other games, one being Kingdom Hearts. Also I don't think the look of this iteration brought much hype.

PC sales should also be considerably down since there's no promotion this time and the trend of sequels having serious decline on that platform.

Yeah, not a surprise but still a bit of a shame.

Fisico

I think the benefits of easier multiplatform development with UE4 might be a bit muted for Tales considering Vita would be the best SKU to add.

Higuchi is stuck in Mario Sports hell.

We just had the IP being announced on Switch.
Mario Sports will be released next month also, I wonder if it'll do well.

Expect PC drop to be in line with PS4 drop. Basically, half or so. Trend of sequels having serious decline is bullshit.

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
Media Create:

PS4 30,778
New3DS LL 17,600
Vita 10,553
PS4 Pro 9,893
2DS 5,806
New3DS 1,301
Wii U 710
PS3 579
Xbox One 231

RE7: 187k

2 version combined?
Feel sad for capcom
Why ratio become so low this time?

Fdkn

Are we going to pretend to be surprised again when a game sells what the predictions said it was going to sell?

Fisico

Expect PC drop to be in line with PS4 drop. Basically, half or so. Trend of sequels having serious decline is bullshit.

Then please by all means give us some examples for comparable titles, sales number can be found here =>
Japanese steam sales.

There's nothing inherently wrong with bonus sales for the novelty effect.
Now it's not like the only reason of the 50% drop for Berseria is that either, but it's hard to deny that it has an impact.

Top Bottom