• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 30, 2012 (Jul 23 - Jul 29)

extralite

Subway posters, blanket tv ads, gigantic billboards, tie in anime, other cross media attempts at gaining attenting, buying a 38+ score in Famitsu=major marketing.

Except for cross media stuff, which of these would you expect 2 months before the game is released? And I can see BD score 38 without SE paying Famitsu, the demos were really good.

Also most games get their animes after they're released, e.g. I11 and P4. When one is released before the game, it isn't guaranteed to do much good, see WD/SoD.

The major marketing might still start (emphasis on might).

It was an honest question: MMORPG are quite difficult to review just after the launch, I think. I was asking starting from DQX but referring also to other titles in the genre.

They played the Beta to learn just enough about the game to come up with a couple of empty phrases for the review and look at how much advertising space SE bought to get the review scores.

Self-respecting review outlets don't review MMOs at all.

Nekki

They played the Beta to learn just enough about the game to come up with a couple of empty phrases for the review and look at how much advertising space SE bought to get the review scores.

You're forgetting it's the nextt mainline Dragon Quest :p

Santiako

You can play with friends! 10
Slimes are cute! 10
The characters make funny noises! 10
You can be a fish person! 10

40/40

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Except for cross media stuff, which of these would you expect 2 months before the game is released? And I can see BD score 38 without SE paying Famitsu, the demos were really good.

Also most games get their animes after they're released, e.g. I11 and P4. When one is released before the game, it isn't guaranteed to do much good, see WD/SoD.

Not arguing that, in fact I agree with it. I'm also completely with Duckroll in that you are seeing the only marketing this game is getting right now, with the final piece being that demo.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ah ah, for a moment I thought this was the actual review.

Probably it won't be that different. :lol

And since Orgen nominated it, Comgnet comparison!

[PSP] Hatsune Miku Project Diva 2nd - 294pt
[PSP] Hatsune Miku Project Diva Extend - 249pt
[3DS] Hatsune Miku Project Mirai - 60pt + something else ( two SKUs avaliable, the other being less than 24pt for sure)
[PSV] Hatsune Miku Project Diva f - 101pt

Probably it won't be that different. :lol

And since Orgen nominated it, Comgnet comparison!

[PSP] Hatsune Miku Project Diva 2nd - 294pt
[PSP] Hatsune Miku Project Diva Extend - 249pt
[PSV] Hatsune Miku Project Diva f - 101pt

Can you get the one for Project Mirai too?

muu

Even for something like DQX I think it was a couple weeks prior to release when TV commercials started popping up.

As for anime stuff... they try to line up the release while the series is still airing. The PSP version of Steins;gate was so successful because the release was timed to coincide w/ some of the highest points of the story. P4G would have done the same; don't forget that game was delayed from a spring release to June.

extralite

Even for something like DQX I think it was a couple weeks prior to release when TV commercials started popping up.
That is exactly what I'm saying. MH3G getting early TV commercials was mostly for letting the multimillion player audience know that they should start buying the new hardware. It rarely happens otherwise.
As for anime stuff... they try to line up the release while the series is still airing. The PSP version of Steins;gate was so successful because the release was timed to coincide w/ some of the highest points of the story. P4G would have done the same; don't forget that game was delayed from a spring release to June.

No idea about Steins;gate but the anime for P4G was made after P4, which is 4 years old. P4 was plenty successful without an anime too.

Animes can help, they obviously align dates for best effect, but it doesn't work for everything and the actual cost of it is debatable. I mean, an anime won't be made just for promotion. They generally intend to make money on the anime itself too.

Gradivus

To add on the discussion about those AKB48 games for VITA and 3DS, Famitsu just announced that AKB48+Me will be out Oct 25th.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Btw, all those PSP announcement in this week Famitsu should scary Vita owners.

Better PSP support which makes them also playable on Vita than them being announced on 3DS - Vita can be thankful that PSP and its installed base are delaying a total 3DS dominance when it comes to handheld announcments.

But for 2013 Vita better be established or it wont be pretty.

It will be especially difficult to wait for the numbers today.
C'mon DQ, break that 400k bar.

I'm going crazy, I need some YMO to hold strong:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxIZ7ZPtEcI

!!!
You guys sure have set your bars low :p

Better PSP support which makes them also playable on Vita than them being announced on 3DS - Vita can be thankful that PSP and its installed base are delaying a total 3DS dominance when it comes to handheld announcments.
onlyif they are released on PSV or if PSV supported UMD

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Also playable on PSV? Just two of them so far: LBX W and AKB1/153, when there have been many PSP only announcements ( especially anime tie-ins).

Also: Tales producer said that Vita seems not a viable platform for the series now, which is pretty scary given how Tales has been linked to Sony platform throughout the years, even when such platforms didn't sell really well.

Metallix87

Also: Tales producer said that Vita seems not a viable platform for the series now, which is pretty scary given how Tales has been linked to Sony platform throughout the years, even when such platforms didn't sell really well.

Do you have a link to that? I'd really be interesting in reading his thoughts on Vita.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

Vita is getting destroyed by the 3DS in Japan and TotA actually performed very well in europe - it would be weird if they abandoned the 3DS that quickly for more Vita Support. If they stick to their plan and establish the Vita as a spin-off plattform i doubt those titles will be released in western markets.

A PSN version could be playable on Vita, but that's clearly nothing Japan really does.

How would you know that ? I dont see why Vita owners who are interested in specific PSP titles wouldnt download the game on PSN. I mean i do it :)
A "real" Vita version on retail is always better but i doubt Vita owners would ignore good games just because they are on PSN.

Do you have a link to that? I'd really be interesting in reading his thoughts on Vita.

KoT: Tales of Innocence was remade for the PlayStation Vita as Tales of Innocence R. The game holds many clues about future remakes for Tempest and Hearts as well. Yet, there hasn’t been any info about those games ever since. Does it have anything to do with the poor sales of the Vita?

Y: As you know, Tales of the Tempest, Tales of Innocence and Tales of Hearts were released on Nintendo DS. We would indeed like to remake those games, but we have to reconsider our projects for now. As you said, the PS Vita isn’t selling well, and we are now waiting a little longer to make sure we take the best decision. In Japan, the PS Vita is mostly bought by hardcore gamers and fans, and here, at Japan Expo, I only saw three people with a PS Vita, and all three were playing Gravity Rush.

http://kingdom-of-tales.net/news-568.html (in French)

Mario007

KoT: Tales of Innocence was remade for the PlayStation Vita as Tales of Innocence R. The game holds many clues about future remakes for Tempest and Hearts as well. Yet, there hasn’t been any info about those games ever since. Does it have anything to do with the poor sales of the Vita?

Y: As you know, Tales of the Tempest, Tales of Innocence and Tales of Hearts were released on Nintendo DS. We would indeed like to remake those games, but we have to reconsider our projects for now. As you said, the PS Vita isn’t selling well, and we are now waiting a little longer to make sure we take the best decision. In Japan, the PS Vita is mostly bought by hardcore gamers and fans, and here, at Japan Expo, I only saw three people with a PS Vita, and all three were playing Gravity Rush.

http://kingdom-of-tales.net/news-568.html (in French)

Yeah he isn't saying it's not a viable platform but rather stating the obvious that it's not selling and when it starts Tales will support it. It's common sense really.

Kenka

After today's numbers what is the next exciting week before Wii U hits the charts?

With Mario, Pokémon and DQ launching in a couple of months, the whole year is a sales-age fiesta.

Each week has been a blessing since Famitsu decided to release numbers earlier.

How would you know that ? I dont see why Vita owners who are interested in specific PSP titles wouldnt download the game on PSN. I mean i do it :)
A "real" Vita version on retail is always better but i doubt Vita owners would ignore good games just because they are on PSN.

The intersection between Vita owners, people that buy PSP games and people that buy their games online rather than retail is miniscule.
Sure, existing Vita owners that buy PSP PSN games exist, but it's not even worth talking about.

Laguna

Banned
They even had plans to remake Tales of Heart and Tales of the Tempest for Vita. But we know what happened...

5049fg58022.jpg

bgfw5.jpg

Mario007

With Mario, Pokémon and DQ launching in a couple of months, the whole year is a sales-age fiesta.

Each week has been a blessing since Famitsu decided to release numbers earlier.

I'm actually really excited for next year too, especially seeing FFXIV PS3 numbers, how FF X HD will do and how a proper new MH will do on the 3DS and if it can go up as high as 3-4 million.

Yeah he isn't saying it's not a viable platform but rather stating the obvious that it's not selling and when it starts Tales will support it. It's common sense really.

Well, if they're waiting to develop something, to me it seems there's nothing planned and therefore no Tales of for the next year at least... Which is not so good for Vita since Tales of should be one of the most appreciated series on Sony platforms and could really help Vita to take off (not alone, of course). Stating that the platform is not selling well and so they're unsure whether to support it or not means that now the platform is not viable, otherwise they would have something on it to announce.

Top Bottom