• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 30, 2013 (Jul 22 - Jul 28)

marrec

Banned
How much does the Vita sell on a weekly basis in EU and US?

I think that a pricecut, RemotePlay, Gaikai, indielove, Sony 1st party and some key 3rd party IPs(GTA) would be enough to save the Vita in the west.
But I am not sure if Sony cares enough about the Vita to delivers all that.

More than the Wii U [Edit: except in US... see below] but that's not saying much.

Hey, if Level-5 is burning to the ground, can someone please pull Dark Cloud out of the wreckage and give it to a competent developer?

test_account

XP-39C²
dc did really well combined. they'll probably make that budget back with ease.
I think they made a very nice profit already. It was said that the budget for Dragon's Crown was "over 100 million yen". It doesnt say how much over 100 million yen (about 1 million dollar), but if the game sold in average for about 8000 yen (i think the RRP is 8800 yen or so?), then that is a total of 1.4 billion yen (about 14.2 million dollars). Naturally the stores get their share of money from the sales, but the profit should be very nice for the publisher :)

duckroll

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Inazuma Eleven by all accounts is what I would consider to be fun, I just hate the direction they decided to take with the plot and setting.

I think the biggest problem with the company is that in terms of franchises, they managed to make something fun out of Layton and Inazuma, and after experiencing runaway success, Hino thought that he was indeed god's gift to Japanese gaming and could make everything he touched turn to gold. Reality has proven that is far from the case, and their only relevance in the mainstream market now is recycling of Layton and Inazuma. Everything else has failed to really take off.

I think that a pricecut, RemotePlay, Gaikai, indielove, Sony 1st party and some key 3rd party IPs(GTA) would be enough to save the Vita in the west.

In the USA it's been selling at ~5,400 units a week as of the most recent data (June 2013).

so what's the chances the vita will hit 1m ytd this year in japan? final fantasy should help a lot, right? that's pretty much the biggest game it's ever seen.

I'd say huge.

There's still over 20 weeks left and that alone will add 200k+ from baseline sales and we will also see Obon and Holiday period increases as well as additional bumps from GE2, FF, maybe Dangan Ronpa (might be 100k+ release) plus smaller releases.

Very impressive sales for dragons crown. Kinda surprised by both vita and 3DS HW numbers was kinda expecting a little higher.

Could be saturation, or in the case of the Vita it sharing it's big release with the PS3 could have pilfered some of it's sales. Obviously if Dragon's Crown was Vita exclusive, had a bundle, and all that the sales for the Vita system would have been higher. Atlus made the right choice though in putting in on both, I just hope the split proves there is a very active base on the Vita that should not be ignored.

squall23

I think the biggest problem with the company is that in terms of franchises, they managed to make something fun out of Layton and Inazuma, and after experiencing runaway success, Hino thought that he was indeed god's gift to Japanese gaming and could make everything he touched turn to gold. Reality has proven that is far from the case, and their only relevance in the mainstream market now is recycling of Layton and Inazuma. Everything else has failed to really take off.
Took the words out of mouth. Exactly how I see it.

L Thammy

I think Dragon's Crown was also nicely aligned with the Vita's niche audience. Not just the look, but also more core-oriented gameplay.

Level-5 makes turdy and unfun games. They're only pretty.

Heck even Ni no Kuni PS3 wasn't exactly fun (because of the crappy battle system).

Really? I thought Inazuma Eleven and Fantasy Life were supposed to be good, at least. I had thought the issue was just Level-5's habit of running their franchises into the ground with rapid releases and hasty expansions.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Dragons Crown doing better on Vita than Odin Sphere did on PS2. What an awesome audience this device has found.

The Wonderful 101 is very close now, so hopefully not for a looong time.

Be sure to remove all sharp objects from Maison de Marc^o^ on W101 sales day.

AniHawk

I think they made a very nice profit already. It was said that the budget for Dragon's Crown was "over 100 million yen". It doesnt say how much over 100 million yen (about 1 million dollar), but if the game sold in average for about 8000 yen (i think the RRP is 8800 yen or so?), then that is a total of 1.4 billion yen (about 14.2 million dollars). Naturally the stores get their share of money from the sales, but the profit should be very nice for the publisher :)

the expenses to consider are: the prices of vita's cards, and the cost of paying the store, sony, and atlus (vanillaware has never published their own game). but if they took in 10% of that, then they made at least a $420,000 profit from week one. that's pretty damn good, and they're going to get more over time and from overseas.

Somnid

???
Why are its sales not good.

I have found no explanation. The platform is good, the game is good, the previous game was good, it's not really an overdone series. Advertising? Although given the hold maybe people just forgot.

Mr Swine

Banned
Honestly, Vita seems to be establishing itself as a relative viable platform in Japan.

For niche games yes...

I wonder if Vita will get a holiday boost this Xmas, it didnt get one in the last 2 Xmas. It should sell more thanks to the price cut but I wonder if is enough. Great numbers for Phoenix and 3DS. Good numbers for Vita but I was hoping more from DC

Jamix012

Not a hope in hell. I'm happy with the Vita's slow climb into relevance in the Japanese Market, and I'm sure God Eater2, FFX(-2), DR1+2, Disgaea 4 and others will help it become a relatively stable platform for the Japanese. It's not a 3DS or even a PSP, but it'll carve out a nice Niche.
In the west, it's dead. Sad but true, there is nothing short of a biblical miracle that will save it in the west. I beleive it's doing <5k a week in the USA in some weeks? It got a CoD and an Assassin's Creed and didn't really go anywhere with them. GTA won't make it relevant.

More than the Wii U... but that's not saying much.
Do you have EU numbers? Because that's certainly not the case in the US.

Great Dragons Crown numbers. Vita looking healthier for 3rd party releases- turned out to be a great move by Sony making cross porting to PS3 so easy.

I think the Vita is increasingly proving itself to be a platform that shouldn't be ignored if you're making a PS3/3DS/PSP game.

Just release a cheap port using all the tools Sony provides and you're looking to see more than enough people buying your releases to make up for the cost of it.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
The "beginning" is usually also the "end" for Level-5 sales in general. :p

Their products suck, and no one gives a fuck anymore. The only people even buying their stuff anymore are kids who don't know any better, and even those numbers are drastically reduced. It's over for Hino's scam empire really.

Honestly, it''s not that your comments are so neutral about L5...
Re-releases are still worth for them. with minimum efforts they still register decent numbers (unless you consider bad the 50K that both LBEW and FLlink will easily register on 3DS, for example), and I still remember that the re-release of the first episode did great on 3DS last year. Probably the brand new installment for 3DS will do similar numbers to the first PSP release or slighlty less

Inazuma Eleven seems to still be able to cross the 400k mark, and even if it will reduce its number with the next installment, considering how they probably spent not so much, reusing the assets.

Even Prof Layton 6 bombed, and still was able to do numbers that, balancing the efforts done for the development (existing patterns, assets, characters and ingame engine) don't seem so poor (otherwise we really should re-focus the comments on the vast majority of the software released in Japan), with 250k more or less. And the crossover with AA did almost 300k (280K?)

Fantasy Life was a brand new IP developed internally by L5, withou cross-media investment, and was able to register around 250k. This re-release obviously is some milky move from the softco, I don't think that if it will hit the 50K mark will be a negative result. Waiting for the western release and the obvious sequel (with re-use of assets and engine and so on, that's part of L5 oculate business model). I've seen people thanking GOD for 250k of FFBravely Default, and sacrificing souls to Chtulhu for Soul Sacrifice 130k, so...

Yokai watch is another brand new IP, that hit the console before the release of any main Pokemon episode (unlike previous DS L5 games) and already surpassed the 100k, waiting for the release of the anime and the manga. Also Inazuma Eleven 1 for DS didn't register records before the anime airing. I'm not saying that the anime will boost 10x the sales of the game, but it's not so strange to foresee a little bump. Could rach Fantasy Life level of success, for example. Or even better.
And the cross-media costs, that you were implying to judge disappointing the videogame sales, should be considered also looking at possible manga and anime (merchandise) revenues, not just looking at vg sales.

Yokai watch and Fantasy Life could even be horrible to you, and targeted at kids. Imho, could be to interesting games (I've seen people like me hoping for western release, for example) and being targeted at kids obviously isn't an horrible thing. And it's not true that L5 beginning sales are also ending sales. At all.
We are not talking anymore about the huge success of Layton and Inazuma on DS, but seriously: DS peaks cannot be seen as the standard milestone for success, otherwise we should simply throw the 97% of Japanese sales in the bin.

AniHawk

I'd say huge.

There's still over 20 weeks left and that alone will add 200k+ from baseline sales and we will also see Obon and Holiday period increases as well as additional bumps from GE2, FF, maybe Dangan Ronpa (might be 100k+ release) plus smaller releases.

i forgot about dangan ronpa and god eater 2.

next year the system should make its way to a 3m ltd in japan. that gives developers some elbow room to make riskier games. the vita might be like a portable sega saturn where it does really well in japan, but kinda shitty elsewhere around the world.

Could be saturation, or in the case of the Vita it sharing it's big release with the PS3 could have pilfered some of it's sales. Obviously if Dragon's Crown was Vita exclusive, had a bundle, and all that the sales for the Vita system would have been higher. Atlus made the right choice though in putting in on both, I just hope the split proves there is a very active base on the Vita that should not be ignored.

If last few months can't prove it then i don't know what can.

Ever since pricecut Vita in Japan was going from one suprise to another

Senran Kagura
PSO
One Piece 2
SoulSac
Muramasa
VK3
Toukiden

TGS will be very interesting

Tomorrow the first million seller for Vita will release.
Are you ready for the Persona killer?

mind.jpg

duckroll

We are not talking anymore about the huge success of Layton and Inazuma on DS, but seriously: DS peaks cannot be seen as the standard milestone for success, otherwise we should simply throw the 97% of Japanese sales in the bin.

Doesn't the world already do that in general? What's really exciting about Japanese sales these days? I think it's indicative of the problem with a lot of companies at large. The fact is, 97% of Japanese sales -are- in fact irrelevant these days. That's why when big publishers make AAA titles these days, they don't even look at the Japanese market as the core base anymore, because they have failed to retain their attention and so they target the west instead. It's pretty pathetic!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
If selling between 10K-20K means it's saved, then sure, you can safe that the Vita is saved.

It's all highly dependent on other Sony products right now, so I think the key long term is Sony making sure 3rd parties do the same thing with their inevitable PS4 titles.

The Wonderful 101 is very close now, so hopefully not for a looong time.
For one thing, it doesn't come out for 3 weeks. The Wii U can quite conceivable hit 5K before it even releases.

For another, any expectation that The Wonderful 101 is going to be some sort of sales salvation would lead me to believe you've been puffing too many dragons that live by the sea.

HoJu

It was released two weeks ago and when it's all said and done it will be on par with other M&L games.

A true bomba.

EDIT: You edited your post with "bomb", of course. the drama
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it the worst selling game in the series? Didn't BiS sell double the amount of Dream Team?
Sales aren't terrible, but it seems like a bit of a let down.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
For one thing, it doesn't come out for 3 weeks. The Wii U can quite conceivable hit 5K before it even releases.

For another, any expectation that The Wonderful 101 is going to be some sort of salvation is wholly unfounded. You've been puffing too many dragons that live by the sea.

I do not *think* it will get that low, if for no other reason than Nintendo is at least advertising the system again. But yeah 7-8k looks possible up until Wind Waker.

Finalow

I'm glad about DC, not surprised.
L5 youkai watch looked nice? I think. the other game looked kinda bad and yeah, didn't have much hope for both of those games.

Scum

What's the general consensus here as to how 101 will do?

I want it to do well because its PG but not sure it will.

It has Bomba all over it. I'm going for 70k - 90k, if that. Unless NCL get off their arse and make people well aware of it for the next couple of weeks...

meppi

Damn Pikmin. :(
At least EDF4 seems to have nice legs for now. :)

Big surprise for me as I had no idea Dragon's Crown was a PS3 title as well. Thought it was Vita exclusive. Better yet it's coming out in Europe in October?! Holy crap!

Top Bottom