• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 30, 2013 (Jul 22 - Jul 28)

Luigiv

CWlKMqO.jpg
gKibppE.jpg

Holy shit, why is the Wii U cover so glorious, yet the PS3 cover so bland?

http://dw.diamond.ne.jp/articles/-/6435?page=2

Anyone wish to translate this?

Apparently the semi-conductor factory that supplies the Wii U exclusively is closing down due to the poor sales of the Wii U. Due to producing only for the Wii U, noone is willing to buy them to offset the losses.

Once they close down, Nintendo would have to redesign the Wii U as parts for the Wii U production will rise due to no manufacturer available for it, according to my meagre understanding of the article.

SmokyDave

Apparently the semi-conductor factory that supplies the Wii U exclusively is closing down due to the poor sales of the Wii U. Due to producing only for the Wii U, noone is willing to buy them to offset the losses.

Once they close down, Nintendo would have to redesign the Wii U as parts for the Wii U production will rise due to no manufacturer available for it, according to my meagre understanding of the article.
Yeah, this seems like potentially big news. We need translator-san.

10k at best.

That's quite an optimistic number you've got there.

I don't really understand the point of this release, I guess Nintendo begged SEGA for something else alongside Sonic deal and they threw them this.

Also remember that Nagoshi considers it a test if Yakuza is even viable on Nintendo platform, guess what the result will be.

Well at the speed the Wii U is selling no need for a redesign for another couple of years.

Whats frankly bemusing about Yakuza HD 1+2 for WiiU is how long they spent talking about the game in the JP direct like it was a major announcement. I was expecting Y5 to come to the WiiU and what is even more bewildering is how the series director (?) just straight up said it was unlikely for the next Yakuza game to come out for the platform. Just begs for the question as what was the point of this port?

Kid Ying

I think yakuza might be a big sucess. Even charting on the top 50 from dengeki. Top 30 is already stretching a little.

But for what is worth, Nagoshi said that it was not a question about sales but about reception, whatever the hell it means. I guess even him knew that it was going to bomb.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I think yakuza might be a big sucess. Even charting on the top 50 from dengeki. Top 30 is already stretching a little.

But for what is worth, Nagoshi said that it was not a question about sales but about reception, whatever the hell it means. I guess even him knew that it was going to bomb.

Yakuza will be lucky to sell 10K LTD.

Is even 10K optimistic?

It did like 60K on the PS3's 8.5M installed base (a less than 1% attach rate), which likely had a more receptive audience to the title as well.

If it has the same attach rate, we'd be looking at like 7K lifetime.

Is even 10K optimistic?

It did like 60K on the PS3's 8.5M installed base (a less than 1% attach rate), while likely had a more receptive audience to the title as well.

If it has the same attach rate, we'd be looking at like 7K lifetime.

Of course you have to factor in the barren wiiu lineup and people with nothing to play

schuelma

I still don't know why either side thought porting this over was a good idea.

Kid Ying

Yakuza will be lucky to sell 10K LTD.
I was being ironic at the big success. :(

Anyway, i think 10k ltd is possible. 15k is already a pipedream.

And i think nintendo made an agreement to have a big game for overseas (sonic) and one for japan (which ended up being yakuza). Of course it didnt end up well.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Well, according to the man himself:

Kotaku said:
Yakuza 1 & 2 HD is coming to the Wii U. But what about future Yakuza games? Are they headed to the Wii U? And how about the 3DS? So many questions!

In a recent interview, Yakuza producer Toshihiro Nagoshi described the Wii U release as "an experiment" to see how many Wii U owners would be interested in something like Yakuza. "To be honest, we're not aiming to see if the game will be a smash hit," said Nagoshi. "Our real intention is that we want to see how people respond."

But will brand new Yakuza games would come to the Wii U? "The existing [Wii U] users are different [from PlayStation owners], so isn't it hard to say if it makes sense?" It really sounds like he first wants to wait and see how Yakuza 1 & 2 HD for Wii U does.

Nagoshi also pointed out that the Yakuza series was born and breed on PlayStation hardware—which is something he hasn't forgotten. "It isn't jumping ship to Nintendo hardware," he added. "Yakuza 1 & 2 are coming out on the Wii U, and this is what it is."

When asked whether Yakuza would be coming to the 3DS, Nagoshi replied with a chuckle, "It's not possible." Nagoshi was asked if a spin-off was doable, like PSP title Yakuza: Black Panther, but he replied that he wants to make the Yakuza games as action adventure games. "I'd do it if it were okay to have a Yakuza game without many people walking around the city... But it would be forcing it, no?" Nagoshi added that it felt like something that wasn't that desirable.

Elsewhere in the interview, Nagoshi was asked if Yakuza was coming to the PS Vita. The game producer replied affirmatively, once again acknowledging how the series has been born and bred on PlayStation hardware.

Source: http://kotaku.com/yakuza-on-the-wii-u-is-an-experiment-and-not-happenin-510075724

Nintendo's side was probably more "We will take anything we can get."

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Maybe the plan is to release it in the west.

My guess would be that Nintendo requested Yakuza on the Wii U, and since Nintendo is publishing Sonic, Sega wanted to be agreeable.

However, since they have implied they are switching over to PS4 development, they likely didn't want to make the new game on Wii U as well.

So, in an attempt to fit both needs, they may have proposed a strategy such as "Well, since Nintendo fans have never played the series before and the plotline is all connected, we wanted to start them at the beginning. If this is a success, we can port Yakuza Kezan in 2014, Yakuza 3 in 2015, Yakuza 4 in 2016, and so on and so forth so that by the time we reach porting over Yakuza 6, your new console will be out, and the port will be much more feasible."

Of course, if Yakuza 1 & 2 HD doesn't sell, they can just say "Sorry, we tried, but there was no market demand."

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Parakeetman reviewed MIND≒0:

Id say it belongs around 25 just due to half of the game seems "unfinished". Since in these types of non visual novel types of games, half of it would be gameplay. The story and characters seem to be decent which adds up to 25. But -15 for the gameplay / animations / sound. Music isnt too bad so that doesnt really subtract or add to the score.

For a letter grade Id give this a C.

Do agree with you that with more TLC this game could have been a lot better and would have generated decent enough sales I think. Seeing how besides from all the money spent on the VA work, its low budget as is.

Generally too I dont put much stock into Famitsus reviews anyways. lol
I'd suggest lowering your already low sales expectations even lower.

Or maybe it's part of Nintendo's master plan.

This bit has gotten old. Whether or not you think there plan is a good one, and whether or not it will work, they clearly have one.

I'm not sure why someone speculating on the actions of a different publisher warrants this comment, or who aggravated you so much that you feel the need to regularly post something like this, but we get it.

Whoa, Dragon's Crown seems to be doing better on the Vita than the PS3. It'd be neat if their sales intersected. Also, Mind=0 not doing absolutely terribly, which is kind of surprising.

COMGNet is one chain only in one Prefecture of 47. The figures are only as valuable as that.

Code:
[U][B]Comgnet Software Sales Rankings (2013/07/29 - 2013/08/04)[/B][/U]

[B]01. [3DS] Disney Magic Castle: My Happy Life – 125pt[/B]
02. [3DS] Mario and Luigi: Dream Team – 45pt
03. [3DS] Tomodachi Collection: New Life – 41pt
04. [PSV] Dragon's Crown – 40pt
05. [PS3] The Witch and the Hundred Knights (Limited Edition) – 39pt
06. [3DS] Ace Attorney 5 – 39pt
07. [PS3] Dragon's Crown – 34pt
08. [3DS] Youkai Watch – 34pt
[B]09. [PS3] Killer Is Dead (Premium Edition) – 28pt[/B]
[B]10. [PSV] Mind/Zero  – 27pt[/B]
11. [PS3] Earth Defense Force 2025 – 26pt
12. [WIU] Pikmin 3 – 19pt
13. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf – 19pt
14. [WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii: Super Deluxe Edition (bundle) – 16pt
15. [PSP] God Eater Burst (PSP the Best) – 14pt
[B]16. [PS3] Metro: Last Light – 14pt[/B]
17. [3DS] Hoppechan: Tsukutte! Asonde! Punipuni Town!! – 13pt
18. [3DS] Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon – 13pt
19. [3DS] Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D – 12pt
20. [WIU] Lego City Undercover – 11pt
[B]* New releases are in bold
* 1 pt = 1 sale
3DS - 9
PS3 - 5
PSV - 2
WIU - 2
WII - 1
PSP - 1
[/B]

No Tsutaya yet, but I'll post it when it comes up.

Code:
[U][B]Comgnet Software Sales Rankings (2013/07/29 - 2013/08/04)[/B][/U]

[B]01. [3DS] Disney Magic Castle: My Happy Life – 125pt[/B]
02. [3DS] Mario and Luigi: Dream Team – 45pt
03. [3DS] Tomodachi Collection: New Life – 41pt
04. [PSV] Dragon's Crown – 40pt
05. [PS3] The Witch and the Hundred Knights (Limited Edition) – 39pt
06. [3DS] Ace Attorney 5 – 39pt
07. [PS3] Dragon's Crown – 34pt
08. [3DS] Youkai Watch – 34pt
[B]09. [PS3] Killer Is Dead (Premium Edition) – 28pt[/B]
[B]10. [PSV] Mind/Zero  – 27pt[/B]
11. [PS3] Earth Defense Force 2025 – 26pt
12. [WIU] Pikmin 3 – 19pt
13. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf – 19pt
14. [WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii: Super Deluxe Edition (bundle) – 16pt
15. [PSP] God Eater Burst (PSP the Best) – 14pt
[B]16. [PS3] Metro Last Light – 14pt[/B]
17. [3DS] Hoppechan: Tsukutte! Asonde! Punipuni Town!! – 13pt
18. [3DS] Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon – 13pt
19. [3DS] Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D – 12pt
20. [WIU] Lego City Undercover – 11pt
[B]* New releases are in bold
* 1 pt = 1 sale
3DS - 9
PS3 - 5
PSV - 2
WIU - 2
WII - 1
PSP - 1
[/B]

No Tsutaya yet, but I'll post it when it comes up.

Really interesting that Dragon's Crown Vita had barely budged. Even more interesting that The Witch and the Hundred Knights' Limited Edition is there, while the Standard Edition had disappeared.

Whether or not you think there plan is a good one, and whether or not it will work, they clearly have one.
Do they at this stage? Beyond hope that Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong and a Wind Waker port will cause a resurgence...?

I generally find commentary about anything being all part of some larger plan, rather than reactionary scrambling to fix a series of mistakes, often seems like people are trying to pretend there wasn't a series of mistakes to begin with.

schuelma

This bit has gotten old. Whether or not you think there plan is a good one, and whether or not it will work, they clearly have one.

Well, unless that plan includes a price drop this year it isn't going to be much of a plan.

Do they at this stage? Beyond hope that Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong and a Wind Waker port will cause a resurgence...?

That's what they're doing, so I assume that is the plan. Again, I'm not making comment on its quality, or viability, but it seems that this is indeed their plan. Part of that is, as implied by their investor notes, releasing first party software consistently to try to rebuild consumer confidence in the platform.

(Also, DK still isn't confirmed for Japan for this year).

I generally find commentary about anything being all part of some larger plan, rather than reactionary scrambling to fix a series of mistakes, often seems like people are trying to pretend there wasn't a series of mistakes to begin with.

I don't think saying that they have a plan for the holidays/2014 now precludes that mistakes were made and potentially could be made in the future.

Like, they had a plan for launch window software and they mistook the resources it would require, so they changed their plan.

I don't think anyone is supposing the Nintendo God orchestrated these terrible sales and software droughts deliberately as part of some master plan to .... fulfill random goals? Or at least I hope no one is thinking such, because at this point it would be crazy.

Well, unless that plan includes a price drop this year it isn't going to be much of a plan.

It's only ~30,000 yen for the Premium model already. I don't think Japan isn't getting a price-cut. Not before the software fails over the holiday, anyway. But again, I was not commenting on the quality of their plan, only its existence.

Code:
[U][B]Tsutaya Software Sales Rankings: Week 31, 2013 (Jul 29 - Aug 04)	Comgnet Software Sales Rankings: Week 31, 2013 (Jul 29 - Aug 04)[/B][/U]

[B]01./NEW [3DS] Disney Magic Castle: My Happy Life[/B]			[B]01. [3DS] Disney Magic Castle: My Happy Life – 125pt[/B]
02./01. [3DS] Ace Attorney 5						02. [3DS] Mario and Luigi: Dream Team – 45pt
03./05. [3DS] Mario and Luigi: Dream Team				03. [3DS] Tomodachi Collection: New Life – 41pt
04./04. [PS3] The Witch and the Hundred Knights				04. [PSV] Dragon's Crown – 40pt
[B]05./NEW [PSV] Mind/Zero[/B]							05. [PS3] The Witch and the Hundred Knights – 39pt
06./06. [3DS] Youkai Watch						06. [3DS] Ace Attorney 5 – 39pt
[B]07./NEW [PS3] Killer Is Dead (Premium Edition)[/B]				07. [PS3] Dragon's Crown – 34pt
08./03. [PSV] Dragon's Crown						08. [3DS] Youkai Watch – 34pt
09./07. [3DS] Fantasy Life: Link!					[B]09. [PS3] Killer Is Dead (Premium Edition) – 28pt[/B]
10./02. [PS3] Dragon's Crown						[B]10. [PSV] Mind/Zero – 27pt[/B]
11./10. [3DS] Tomodachi Collection: New Life				11. [PS3] Earth Defense Force 2025 – 26pt
12./08. [PS3] Earth Defense Force 2025					12. [WIU] Pikmin 3 – 19pt
13./09. [WIU] Pikmin 3 							13. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf – 19pt
14./11. [PSP] Toukiden							14. [WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii: Super Deluxe Edition (bundle) – 16pt
15./12. [3DS] Danboru Senki W: Ultra Custom				15. [PSP] God Eater Burst (PSP the Best) – 14pt
16./15. [PSP] Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (PSP the Best)		[B]16. [PS3] Metro: Last Light – 14pt[/B]
17./14. [PSV] Toukiden							17. [3DS] Hoppechan: Tsukutte! Asonde! Punipuni Town!! – 13pt
18./16. [3DS] Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D				18. [3DS] Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon – 13pt
19./20. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf					19. [3DS] Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D – 12pt
20./17. [PS3] The Last of Us						20. [WIU] Lego City Undercover – 11pt
[B]* New releases are in bold						* 1 pt = 1 sale
3DS - 9									3DS - 9
PS3 - 5									PS3 - 5
PSV - 3									PSV - 2
PSP - 2									WIU - 2
WIU - 1									WII - 1
									PSP - 1[/B]

[B][U]New releases not present in either Top 20:[/U]

[3DS] Doki Doki! PreCure Narikiri Life!
[3DS] Fashionable Puppy 3D

[PSP] Shiratsuyu no Kai
[PSP] Shiratsuyu no Kai [Limited Edition]
[PSP] NBA 2K13 (2K Collection)

[PS3] Sangoku Hime 2: Kouhata Houkou - Kakuseimeshi Taiga
[PS3] Sangoku Hime 2: Kouhata Houkou - Kakuseimeshi Taiga [Limited Edition]

[360] Killer Is Dead
[360] Killer Is Dead [Premium Edition]
[360] Metro: Last Light[/B]

2013 Tsutaya + Comgnet Weekly Sales Archive

Blue-kun

Killer is Dead being below Mind/Zero can't be good news with how much of a bomb the latter seems like it'll be. Last I checked it had less than 20 votes on PSN and everything points to some pretty bad sales, so... yeah.

On the other hand, pretty interesting that DC Vita was above DC PS3 both for Comg and Tsutaya.

I've seen people post that because of that 9 million goal Nintendo has some big plan and titles they've yet to reveal and aren't telling us about. It's the same idea some people had with Vita last year that Sony had a grand plan to get to that ridiculous goal. I honestly don't think releasing 1st party games counts as a plan when they were going to do that regardless. I'm not saying nintendo doesn't have a more complex plan ready but they certainly haven't shown it.

DC PS3 was pretty much sold out after week 1. Vita version being ahead makes sense.

Code:
[U][B]Tsutaya Software Sales Rankings (2013/07/29 - 2013/08/04)		Comgnet Software Sales Rankings (2013/07/29 - 2013/08/04)[/B][/U]

[B]01. [3DS] Disney Magic Castle: My Happy Life[/B]				[B]01. [3DS] Disney Magic Castle: My Happy Life – 125pt[/B]
02. [3DS] Ace Attorney 5						02. [3DS] Mario and Luigi: Dream Team – 45pt
03. [3DS] Mario and Luigi: Dream Team					03. [3DS] Tomodachi Collection: New Life – 41pt
04. [PS3] The Witch and the Hundred Knights				04. [PSV] Dragon's Crown – 40pt
[B]05. [PSV] Mind/Zero[/B]							05. [PS3] The Witch and the Hundred Knights (Limited Edition) – 39pt
06. [3DS] Youkai Watch							06. [3DS] Ace Attorney 5 – 39pt
[B]07. [PS3] Killer Is Dead (Premium Edition)[/B]				07. [PS3] Dragon's Crown – 34pt
08. [PSV] Dragon's Crown						08. [3DS] Youkai Watch – 34pt
09. [3DS] Fantasy Life: Link!						[B]09. [PS3] Killer Is Dead (Premium Edition) – 28pt[/B]
10. [PS3] Dragon's Crown						[B]10. [PSV] Mind/Zero  – 27pt[/B]
11. [3DS] Tomodachi Collection: New Life				11. [PS3] Earth Defense Force 2025 – 26pt
12. [PS3] Earth Defense Force 2025					12. [WIU] Pikmin 3 – 19pt
13. [WIU] Pikmin 3 							13. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf – 19pt
14. [PSP] Toukiden							14. [WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii: Super Deluxe Edition (bundle) – 16pt
15. [3DS] Danboru Senki W: Ultra Custom					15. [PSP] God Eater Burst (PSP the Best) – 14pt
16. [PSP] Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (PSP the Best)		[B]16. [PS3] Metro Last Light – 14pt[/B]
17. [PSV] Toukiden							17. [3DS] Hoppechan: Tsukutte! Asonde! Punipuni Town!! – 13pt
18. [3DS] Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D				18. [3DS] Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon – 13pt
19. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf					19. [3DS] Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D – 12pt
20. [PS3] The Last of Us						20. [WIU] Lego City Undercover – 11pt
[B]* New releases are in bold						* 1 pt = 1 sale
3DS - 9									3DS - 9
PS3 - 5									PS3 - 5
PSV - 3									PSV - 2
PSP - 2									WIU - 2
WIU - 1									WII - 1
									PSP - 1[/B]

Is this the first time we've seen Toukiden PSP outsell Toukiden Vita? Interesting to see The Witch and The Hundred Knights not budge.

schuelma

I've seen people post that because of that 9 million goal Nintendo has some big plan and titles they've yet to reveal and aren't telling us about. It's the same idea some people had with Vita last year that Sony had a grand plan to get to that ridiculous goal. I honestly don't think releasing 1st party games counts as a plan when they were going to do that regardless. I'm not saying nintendo doesn't have a more complex plan ready but they certainly haven't shown it.

DC PS3 was pretty much sold out after week 1. Vita version being ahead makes sense.

They have no shot at making their fiscal goal, but as far as a "plan" to have a good holiday and early 2014 it is really really simple- they release the games they say are coming, and they drop the price of the Premium. It isn't rocket science, and to me the only question is if Nintendo realizes their fiscal targets are not going to happen and their only choice is to try and salvage the console this year before XBone and PS4 really get going.

I'm not sure what you're excited about. It in no way indicates Vita is going to rise further on the second week of Dragon's Crown. It's not going to happen. Unless Mind 0 miraculously sells a ton.
Pretty much. We had "third party NDAs" and "soft launch" and "wait for Nintendo Direct" constantly post-launch.

It's died down a lot now, but I assume that's from where Chris' sarcastic posts stem.

And likewise, I don't really know if what's being described (releasing Nintendo software) really constitutes a plan or strategy for the system. Certainly not one that warrants such a ridiculous fiscal year forecast. It's sort of like saying a band-aid is a plan to treat a gaping flesh wound.

donny2112

Iwata wanted to do bling flashes on a Nintendo Direct.

Still think their plan is to ride out the gen losing as little money as possible on Wii U and milking 3DS for all they can. That'd mean no price cut until they can reduce the cost of the system enough to compensate. PS3/Xbox level losses, this ain't gonna be. If the GamePad is the reason for this (like Blu-Ray was a major reason for PS3 losses early on), they should ditch it, if at all possible. Make it an optional accessory somehow. Probably can't, though, so it's just a matter of riding this gen out as long as they can before closing the books on this one and moving on. Maybe that eDRAM manufacturer place's closing will end up being well-timed. :lol

Top Bottom