• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 30, 2014 (Jul 21 - Jul 27)

Busaiku

I don't see Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate putting up similar numbers as Monster Hunter 4.
I think the reason that each PSP iteration saw increased numbers was because the franchise was still growing massively.
However, it's likely peaked with Monster Hunter Portable 3rd, and I think it'll be more in line with what typical expanded releases do.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If we're talking like 200K then that's more reasonable.

I was thinking 300-350K which seems quite high given what the game is.

I mean it's not impossible, but it would be what, one of the most successful new IPs on PS3 ever?

Edit:

So using https://sites.google.com/site/japanltdrank/

Dragon's Dogma ( Capcom ) { 2012-05-24 } -         302,590 / 470,141
White Knight Chronicles ( SCE ) { 2008-12-25 } -         203,033 / 339,690
The Last of Us ( SCE ) { 2013-06-20 } -         129,983 / 235,571
Tokyo Jungle ( SCE ) { 2012-06-07 } -         110,185 / 216,419
Catherine ( Atlus ) { 2011-02-17 } -         136,531 / 210,543
Bayonetta ( SEGA ) { 2009-10-29 } -         138,430 / 206,142

At 350K it would be the second best.

RalchAC

They are both MHFG expansions aren't they? That graph confuses me. What does 2014/3 or 2014/6 mean? (EDIT: months) Why are systems coupled together? So does it mean Capcom is going to release 17 PS3/4 SKU's?

Again you are wrong. GUST, Falcom, NIS, D3 all have PS4 games coming out or in dev and in most cases those games get the vast majority of their sales in Japan.

I don't get it. You think PS4 is not going to get an exclusive Yakuza or Tales in the future? Do you think that its not guaranteed? Its obvious it will take some time for it to happen but that was never the argument (PS3 got its first exclusive Yakuza 3 years after its release......the first exclusive next gen Tales game came 3 years after 360's release).

Tales of Xillia as of October 2013 has sold 1 million. 230k in the West.

You're doubtful that Sony is not going to make another Hot Shots when I just showed you a tweet that says the dev is hiring for a golf game and Yoshida has tweeted it.

Including multiple releases,

HSG Out of Bounds : 713k

Surely you can't be doubtful that GT7 is coming? All the games I mentioned in that post are guaranteed to come to PS4.

I mean it's not impossible, but it would be what, one of the most successful new IPs on PS3 ever?

Edit:

Dragon's Dogma sold quite well in Japan. But it underperformed everywhere else, right?

You don't think Destiny can do 200,000 in JP?

I think 200k units sold it's quite likely. CoD sells quite well, BF4 on PS4 alone sold more than 100k units iirc. Sony is probably going to market it because they don't really have anything developed especifically for that market. And the PS4 userbase is probably receptive to Western games. If they're not, I don't know why the hell they'd have bought the system in the first 6 months.

Dragon's Dogma sold quite well in Japan. But it underperformed everywhere else, right?

I think 200k units sold it's quite likely. CoD sells quite well, BF4 on PS4 alone sold more than 100k units iirc. Sony is probably going to market it because they don't really have anything developed especifically for that market. And the PS4 userbase is probably receptive to Western games. If they're not, I don't know why the hell they'd have bought the system in the first 6 months.

Incredibly well in Japan,

DD : 680k
DD DA : 209k

Bombed everywhere else. I think it had a 100k opening in NPD.

Hellraider

Incredibly well in Japan,

DD : 680k
DD DA : 209k

Bombed everywhere else. I think it had a 100k opening in NPD.

Capcom should have already ported the game to current gen and PC for it to have any chances of success outside of Japan.
But Capcom gonna capcom. I at least hope they bother with a japanese centric sequel. Wouldn't suprise me if Deep Down is their answer to that though.

BKK

Edit:

Successful New IPs often do a disproportionate (compared to their sequels) percentage of their sales through budget re-releases. Two titles that would make the list if those were included;

Demon's Souls 168,816 + 127,130 = 295,946
Valkyria Chronicles 141,589 + 95,667 = 237,256

RalchAC

Successful New IPs often do a disproportionate (compared to their sequels) percentage of their sales through budget re-releases. Two titles that would make the list if those were included;

I wonder when Sony will release a budget re-release of GT6. That game didn't sold all that well (it's at 350k, right?) and it's been missing of the weekly tops for a while. Dropping the price to 3500-4000 yens could help moving some more units.

Or is the game at bomba prices?

I still find it hilarious (and fucking sad) that original VC sold that well for new ip and then SEGA moved ip to PSP in hope to sell even more in Japan but instead the sequels sold actually less in Japan and basically nothing in west (never even localized the third game). Damn you SEGA. I would kill for PS4 Valkyria (I know it never happens...)

zeromcd73

I still find it hilarious (and fucking sad) that original VC sold that well for new ip and then SEGA moved ip to PSP in hope to sell even more in Japan but instead the sequels sold actually less in Japan and basically nothing in west (never even localized the third game). Damn you SEGA. I would kill for PS4 Valkyria (I know it never happens...)

I freaked out when we got that Valkyria Trilogy PS4 announcement. And then 30minutes later when we found out it was fake it all went away :(

Isn't 680K already included the 209K for DD:DA?

https://sites.google.com/site/japanltdrank/show?platform=PS3

DD 470141
DD:DA 209736
Total: 679877

You're right

Valkyria Chronicles also in all likelihood did a hundred times better in the West. A PS4 VC would be a dream. Valkyria Chrinicles has honestly become my favouirte jrpg of last generation. Fantastic, addictive gameplay, great characters, good story, amazing OST and beautiful graphics.

I freaked out when we got that Valkyria Trilogy PS4 announcement. And then 30minutes later when we found out it was fake it all went away :(

:(

Takao

Banned
If Valkyria Chronicles sold 100x better in the west, there would've been more than 1 home console game. Sales didn't work out that way. In fact, it sold poorly upon release and only got up to respectable numbers once it was bomba binned. Sega still saw potential in the IP, so rather than just kill it they developed lower budgeted sequels aimed at the Japanese market. I imagine the IP would still be active if they were happy with those sales.

If Valkyria Chronicles sold 100x better in the west, there would've been more than 1 home console game. Sales didn't work out that way. In fact, it sold poorly upon release and only got up to respectable numbers once it was bomba binned. Sega still saw potential in the IP, so rather than just kill it they developed lower budgeted sequels aimed at the Japanese market. I imagine the IP would still be active if they were happy with those sales.

Well I've never seen this before. Like I said its a dream :(

Well it's not exactly new situation that publisher makes some insane decisions regarding their games even if they sell well. I am not saying that it was absolutely case with VC but considering how good reception the game had with critics and players those that bought it from bomba bin could have bought second game with full price had it been on PS3. Of course we never know.

Even if it was real, it's not like it would be localized anyway, considering the precedent of Yakuza 1+2HD not getting localized.

Well it's not exactly new situation that publisher makes some insane decisions regarding their games even if they sell well. I am not saying that it was absolutely case with VC but considering how good reception the game had with critics and players those that bought it from bomba bin could have bought second game with full price had it been on PS3. Of course we never know.

This is an era when publishers expect (If not NEED) instant returns on new IP - They don't have or want to allot the time to allow an IP to grow so it can stand with tall shoulders. It either starts a giant or goes straight to the grave. Frankly, IMO, with how humiliating VC2 was, and the bad ending note of VC3 not getting localized, I can't help but feel I'd rather have seen VC go to the grave straight instead of that downward spiral.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
new releases {2014.08.07}

[3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission 2 <TBL> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥6.145)
[3DS] Senran Kagura 2: Crimson # <ACT> (Marvelous AQL) (¥6.998)
[3DS] Senran Kagura 2: Crimson [Niu Niu DX Pack] <ACT> (Marvelous AQL) (¥11.674)
[3DS] Farming Simulator 14: Pocket Nouen 2 <SLG> (Intergrow) (¥6.264)
[3DS] Bravely Default: For the Sequel (Ultimate Hits) <RPG> (Square Enix) (¥2.700)

[PSV] Shin Hayari Gami <ADV> (Nippon Ichi Software) (¥6.264)
[PSV] Lost Dimension <RPG> (FuRyu) (¥6.782)

[PSP] Urakata Hakuoki: Akatsuki no Shirabe # <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥6.264)
[PSP] Urakata Hakuoki: Akatsuki no Shirabe [Limited Edition] <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥8.424)
[PSP] Urakata Hakuoki: Akatsuki no Shirabe/Urakata Hakuoki - Twin Pack <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥9.504)
[PSP] Tiger & Bunny: Hero's Day (Best Price!) <ADV> (D3 Publisher) (¥1.944)
[PSP] Vitamin Z: Revolution (Munekyun Shoujo Collection Vol.6) <ADV> (D3 Publisher) (¥1.944)
[PSP] Vitamin Z: Graduation (Munekyun Shoujo Collection Vol.7) <ADV> (D3 Publisher) (¥1.944)
[PSP] SutoMani: Strobe Mania (Munekyun Shoujo Collection Vol.8) <ADV> (D3 Publisher) (¥1.944)
[PSP] Custom Drive (Munekyun Shoujo Collection Vol.9) <ADV> (D3 Publisher) (¥1.944)
[PSP] Storm Lover Kai!! (Munekyun Shoujo Collection Vol.10) <ADV> (D3 Publisher) (¥1.944)
[PSP] Storm Lover Karen!! (Munekyun Shoujo Collection Vol.11) <ADV> (D3 Publisher) (¥1.944)

[WIU] Dragon Quest X: All-in-One Package <RPG> (Square Enix) (¥5.184)

[WII] Dragon Quest X: All-in-One Package <RPG> (Square Enix) (¥5.184)

[PS3] Ultra Street Fighter IV # <FTG> (Capcom) (¥4.309)
[PS3] Ultra Street Fighter IV [Collector's Package] <FTG> (Capcom) (¥5.389)
[PS3] Shin Hayari Gami <ADV> (Nippon Ichi Software) (¥7.344)
[PS3] Lost Dimension <RPG> (FuRyu) (¥7.754)
[PS3] Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist (Ubi the Best) <ACT> (Ubisoft) (¥3.218)

[360] Ultra Street Fighter IV <FTG> (Capcom) (¥4.309)

RalchAC

I don't see Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate putting up similar numbers as Monster Hunter 4.
I think the reason that each PSP iteration saw increased numbers was because the franchise was still growing massively.
However, it's likely peaked with Monster Hunter Portable 3rd, and I think it'll be more in line with what typical expanded releases do.

I agree with most of your post, imo MH4G would do between 2.5 and 3 millón max. But I think that Mh5 has a quite big chance to sell near Mhp3rd, especially if it's the last game on the 3ds... If not, it will fall short.

hiska-kun

I read somewhere that Capcom forecast for MH4G in Japan was 2.8 million. That could mean they expext 1.1 million on the west.
But i can't find the source. So can't confirm.

LOCK

I read somewhere that Capcom forecast for MH4G in Japan was 2.8 million. That could mean they expext 1.1 million on the west.
Well that seems doable at least.

MH4G is doing good pre-order wise. As far as I can tell.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Japanese games in general have been doing poorly in the West.

If we look at Japanese third party market share in the West it's comically bad.

This is part of what forced Japanese publishers out of the console business in the first place. It's really hard to compete against a $60-$100 million budget used by a dev team spanning 4-10 countries with knowledge of what appeals in all of them.

L~A

Pretty sure Capcom never gave any precise numbers for each territories, they just said that they expected 3.9m worldwide (including Asia, I believe).

Maybe you got confused with the original game's ludicrous previsions? (2.8m by the end of the 2013-14 FY). Or maybe it was some speculation in another MC thread. I don't remember them giving predictions at any other time than in last may.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Capcom explains their MH4G expectations: http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/pdf/explanation/2013/full/explanation_2013_full_05.pdf

Q. Why is your plan for the sales volume of “Monster Hunter 4G” less than actual sales of “Monster Hunter 4”?

A. We are planning sales volume that is about the same as for the previous title, so we do not believe that our “Monster Hunter 4G” plan is “less”. Our basic stance is for people who enjoyed the previous title to enjoy this new one as well.

Famitsu Top 10 Digital June 2014 {2014.06.02 - 2014.06.29}
05. [3DS] Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth # <RPG> (Atlus) {2014.06.05} (¥7.538) - 11.046 (4,5%)
Famitsu Sales (Retail and Digital): June, 2014 (Jun 02 - Jun 29)

01. [3DS] Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth # <RPG> (Atlus) {2014.06.05} (¥7.538) - 234.880 (11.046) / 245.926
Persona Q - 250k shipped in June (around 260k sold LTD)
Go PQ!

Busaiku

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate did like 270k on 3DS in the US (360k with Wii U), without knowing digital numbers.
1.1 million outside Japan isn't unrealistic.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It's Road to TGS&#8482; update time.

Chaos Rings III
Platforms: iOS/Android
Genre: Turn Based RPG
Publisher: Square Enix
Developer: Media.Vision
Special Notes:
-This is the lead platform as it's made by Media.Vision, who has made all the prior games. The Vita collection is being ported by Bullets (more on that later).
-It's a premium game priced at 2800 yen.
-There's also still Chaos Rings: Sigma, which is the f2p online focused game, also coming to iOS/Android. That was announced a while ago.

Chaos Rings III Prequel Trilogy
Platforms: Vita
Developer: Media.Vision (the port is done by Bullets)
Special Notes:
-This is a Vita collection/port of the iOS/Android games (Chaos Rings 1, Omega, 2, and 3).
-It's a retail game priced at 4800 yen.
-Chaos Rings: Sigma was not announced for Vita, but it's not totally implausible it will show up at some point given everything else is coming.

Thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=867566

They also changed the art style:

71Bdkbj1XlL.jpg
71WO3yQ5joL.jpg

61ceLavRnPL.jpg
71IulfvZfAL.jpg

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Do we know what were the prices for Chaos Ring I & II at the original release? IIRC, this is the most expensive one, but I could be wrong.

ohlawd

Monster Hunter was/is very popular in non-JP Asia for what I've read on GAF. Those territories count too.

when I think of west, I only think of NA and EU. No joke, I completely forgot that Japan isn't the only country in the east.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate did like 270k on 3DS in the US (360k with Wii U), without knowing digital numbers.
1.1 million outside Japan isn't unrealistic.
well I hope it does well here.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Do we know what were the prices for Chaos Ring I & II at the original release? IIRC, this is the most expensive one, but I could be wrong.

Chaos Rings 2 was 2000 yen (iPhone/iPod touch) and 2200 yen (iPad). Square Enix does universal apps now.

Chaos Rings 1 I'm unsure, but I think it was a bit cheaper than that.

Mpl90

Chaos Rings 2 was 2000 yen (iPhone/iPod touch) and 2200 yen (iPad). Square Enix does universal apps now.

Chaos Rings 1 I'm unsure, but I think it was a bit cheaper than that.

Oh, thanks. Do we have the sales estimates as well for them? I remember Aquamarine posted lots of them, including Chaos Ring.

Takao

Banned
Oh, thanks. Do we have the sales estimates as well for them? I remember Aquamarine posted lots of them, including Chaos Ring.

According to the press release for today's announcements, the entire series has sold 1.1 million copies.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Yes, from October 2013.

The interesting thing here is they now seem to be doing an interesting approach to risk management.

1.) They have an f2p online entry in the series with Chaos Rings Sigma, which is more in tune with how the iOS/Android market works.
2.) For Chaos Rings 3, even though they're leading on iOS/Android, they also have a Vita version as a retail title. Given Chaos Rings is pretty comparable to a PSP retail title with notably better graphics, this is a natural fit.

This is actually probably the best example of what I feel is actually a feasible future we might see in terms of how Japanese publishers manage handheld releases given the rise of smart devices/decline of handhelds combined with the market difficulties of launching traditional titles on mobile. By basically just launching on both formats, and also having brand extensions that make more sense natively on mobile (hey, the winner should get the extra effort!), you solve a lot of issues.

Similarly releasing f2p mobile games on dedicated devices would fit with this trend as well. I don't mean this as much in the P&D 3DS sense, but more in the Wonder Flick sense, since I think a lot of developers wouldn't actually want to rework the game.

Please note, the following are ESTIMATES based off of publisher-vouched algorithms and not real-time sales data. The margin of error for estimates is AT MOST 20%.

This is intended solely to give you a general idea of how sales may look:

Chaos Rings estimates:

Chaos Rings for iPhone: 404,000 (worldwide), $8.99 (originally $12.99)
Chaos Rings II for iPhone: 102,000 (worldwide), $15.99 (originally $17.99)
Chaos Rings &#937; for iPhone: 87,000 (worldwide), $8.99 (originally $11.99)

Chaos Rings for iPad: 93,000 (worldwide), $11.99 (originally $15.99)
Chaos Rings II for iPad: 61,000 (worldwide), $16.99 (originally $19.99)
Chaos Rings &#937; for iPad: 34,000 (worldwide), $11.99 (originally $14.99)

Chaos Rings for Android: 104,000 (worldwide), $8.22
Chaos Rings II for Android: 17,000 (worldwide), $14.38
Chaos Rings &#937; for Android: 51,000 (worldwide), $8.22

Again, real-time sales differ from these estimates, but not so significantly that they aren't worth mentioning.

Real-time sales data:

Chaos Rings: >400,000 downloads (all SKUs, worldwide) as of May 21st, 2011

Chaos Rings for Android (worldwide): 100,000 - 500,000
Chaos Rings II for Android (worldwide): 10,000 - 50,000
Chaos Rings &#937; for Android (worldwide): 10,000 - 50,000

Mpl90

According to the press release for today's announcements, the entire series has sold 1.1 million copies.

Interesting.

Aquamarine's numbers were from a while ago, but it would be good to see them just to see if they are more or less accurate than we thought.

EDIT: There you go. Thanks again, Nirolak.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
There's also going to be some kind of collaboration between Brave Frontier (major mobile game by gumi) and the Mana series.

No details were announced. Presumably it will be the standard fare for this though with characters from each appearing in the other's game.

001icp7m.jpg

Mpl90

So, let's see. As of October 2013

Chaos Rings total - 601,000
Chaos Rings II total - 180,000
Chaos Rings &#937; total - 172,000

Total for the series: 953,000

Total up to August 4th, 2014: 1,100,000

Difference between the two: 147,000

Since the estimated total is old and that Aquamarine herself said that the estimates were at max 20% off the real numbers, and that some time have passed, let's say that it's 50-50 between them (73,500 coming from being slightly off, 73,500 coming from this being 10 months later the estimate)...that would make the October estimates 7,7% off compared to the "real" numbers.

CapHarlock

Neo Member
Can someone explain what the deal is with DQX...Compared to DQ9, what going on with it. I have been out of the loop, and loved DQ9. Is it true that DQX is a MMO?

zeromcd73

It's Road to TGS™ update time.

Chaos Rings III
Platforms: iOS/Android
Developer: Media.Vision
Special Notes:
-This is the lead platform as it's made by Media.Vision, who has made all the prior games. The Vita collection is being ported by Bullets (more on that later).
-It's a premium game priced at 2800 yen.
-There's also still Chaos Rings: Sigma, which is the f2p online focused game, also coming to iOS/Android. That was announced a while ago.

Chaos Rings III Prequel Trilogy
Platforms: Vita
Developer: Media.Vision (the port is done by Bullets)
Special Notes:
-This is a Vita collection/port of the iOS/Android games (Chaos Rings 1, Omega, 2, and 3).
-It's a retail game priced at 4800 yen.
-Chaos Rings: Sigma was not announced for Vita, but it's not totally implausible it will show up at some point given everything else is coming.

Thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=867566

TGS is coming along nicely, I see.
:(

gtj1092

Can someone explain what the deal is with DQX...Compared to DQ9, what going on with it. I have been out of the loop, and loved DQ9. Is it true that DQX is a MMO?

Huh? That's some time warp ;p but yes it's an MMO. It's getting ported to the 3DS but it's run off the cloud I think.

Top Bottom