• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 30, 2014 (Jul 21 - Jul 27)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So about that Famitsu scoop:

Famitsu already announced that major overhaul shall be applied to articles from the next issue.
They'll start to have articles regarding mobile games.
Could it be related....? :

KHinsider reported a few days ago that a TWEWY event, "TWEWY Preview Night", will take place on the 7th of August at ARTNIA, with special guests including Tetsuya Nomura (character designer), Tatsuya Kando (director) and Ichiro Hazama (producer)...
I know it is not the first time they held a special event for TWEWY, but this one seems quite big to me...
More at the link :
http://www.khinsider.com/news/The-Wo...th-3717?page=3

...probably not. ;-(

L~A

Heh? Magazine does come out on the same day. Hmm....

Nah, it's just a ploy for you to repost that "Well, Famitsu does write about mobile games now in its mag". I am not gonna fall for it. Not gonna fall for it.

Ok, maybe just a tiny bit

By the way, link is broken. Working one: http://www.khinsider.com/news/The-World-Ends-With-You-Preview-Night-on-August-7th-3717

Surprised it wasn't mentionned before. Lack of countdown website makes me just a little tad hopefuly.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Heh? Magazine does come out on the same day. Hmm....

Nah, it's just a ploy for you to repost that "Well, Famitsu does write about mobile games now in its mag". I am not gonna fall for it. Not gonna fall for it.
But I already worked that in to the original post!

L~A

^

Why not? Doesn't that Road to TGS thing apply to all announcements? Or only those for established franchises?

But I already worked that in to the original post!

I know, realised that after posting, ha ha.

But yeah, looks like publishers are now in full pre-TGS mode. Squeenix teasing new DQM. Atlus probably revealing their new Etrian Odyssey game before the end of the month (just a prediction of mine, based on that Famitsu interview). Hmm...

crinale

The KH article link doesn't work :(
TBH I'm guessing the Famitsu's "scoop" shall be new info for already announced game...

...Is that true? :(

Just my guess, I have no access or whatsoever to early sales of magazine and such :(

Edit: I've already posted on the other thread but if it is an unannounced game then I think they'll tease like they are scooping new announcement, not just scooping some big information.
Anyway we all would find out like 24 hrs later I guess.

crinale

I expect Famitsu's scoop to be of something yawn worthy like news on Persona 4 Dancing, Kancolle Kai, or that new Mistwalker game.

Monster Hunter Smart becoming Monster Hunter Explore?

As TV series airing schedule being set (Jan, 2015), IMO game would be postponed until then also. Therefore I think they'll withhold the info until then.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Road to TGS™:

Monster Hunter Explore
Platforms: iOS/Android
Genre: Hunting Action x RPG x Exploration
Publisher: Capcom
Developer: Capcom? Unsure.
Special Notes:
-This is a reboot of Monster Hunter Smart coming in 2015. It also adds Android as a platform.
-It's a free 2 play game.
-It sounds like it still has a plot construct (well, as much as Monster Hunter does).
-This is the mobile entry that tries to play something like Monster Hunter as opposed to a town building game or a puzzle title.

Thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=865241
Siliconera Article (since thread is threadbare): http://www.siliconera.com/2014/07/31/monster-hunter-explore-focuses-adventures-new-island/

bhpLarM.jpg

explor_2.jpg

explor_3.jpg

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
As TV series airing schedule being set (Jan, 2015), IMO game would be postponed until then also. Therefore I think they'll withhold the info until then.

Repeating the question since you could have not seen it: is the Famitsu scoop really something about an already announced game?

crinale

Repeating the question since you could have not seen it: is the Famitsu scoop really something about an already announced game?

I've already edited my post: It was my guess (I have no early access for Famitsu). Sorry about that :(

Mpl90

I've already edited my post: It was my guess (I have no early access for Famitsu). Sorry about that :(

Sorry, just saw it now. Thanks for the answer. Hype is back!

My Android tablet is ready!!!!1!1!1!1!

RalchAC

Road to TGS™:

Monster Hunter Explore
Platforms: iOS/Android
Genre: Hunting Action x RPG x Exploration
Publisher: Capcom
Developer: Capcom? Unsure.
Special Notes:
-This is a reboot of Monster Hunter Smart coming in 2015. It also adds Android as a platform.
-It's a free 2 play game.
-It sounds like it still has a plot construct (well, as much as Monster Hunter does).
-This is the mobile entry that tries to play something like Monster Hunter as opposed to a town building game or a puzzle title.

Thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=865241
Siliconera Article (since thread is threadbare): http://www.siliconera.com/2014/07/31/monster-hunter-explore-focuses-adventures-new-island/

Didn't they used some of the cash they got from Mh4 to build new smartphone focused studios? It could be in development by one of them. I wonder how would it play.

They could release it on December, a little earlier than the new show like SAO did.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Didn't they used some of the cash they got from Mh4 to build new smartphone focused studios? It could be in development by one of them. I wonder how would it play.

I should probably make a couple of clarifying statements here since the situation is a tad confusing.

1.) This seems to be a reboot/notable rework of Monster Hunter Smart, so I assume the core mechanics are similar. Here's a trailer for that game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itmo9cnFMDI

2.) Capcom is spending $78 million to build two new buildings that will house 1000 new staff. They intend to hire 100 new staff each year (mostly college graduates, as staff is way less fluid in Japan than in the West) for 10 years.

3.) These two new buildings have a few new goals. The first two are related to basic operations. One is to help centralize development and share technology/knowledge between staff more efficiently. The other is to lower Capcom's cost of development by giving their work to (less well paid) internal staff that's largely recent college graduates as opposed to more expensive outsourcing studios in Japan and the West. These buildings will also have a variety of new facilities for things like motion capture and sound production.

4.) The final goal they note is that "Capcom believes that these actions will give the company a competitive advantage due to the more powerful development capabilities in the rapidly growing mobile content and PC online games markets." This implies most of the new staff will be directed toward mobile and PC online games. This jives with Capcom's other statement that they believe the reason they haven't had mobile success is that their Japanese outsourcing partners have done a poor job making quality content. Capcom has also followed this up by delaying Breath of Fire 6 by 6-9+ months and rebooting Monster Hunter Smart as Monster Hunter Explore, so they do seem serious about at least trying to make better quality products (from a "we're spending more money and time on development" perspective).

5.) As for the "Monster Hunter profits" note, basically Capcom explained that they earned more money that year due to Monster Hunter, but instead of giving it out in a special dividend, they were going to invest it in their new buildings and hiring plans. So while they are Monster Hunter profits, it's less a literal earmarking of "funds made by Monster Hunter 3DS games shall go into mobile/pc online initiatives" and more "our excess profits shall go into funding our new mobile/pc online initiatives, and that happens to be Monster Hunter this year".

Spiegel

Didn't the Road to TGS start August 1st?
And MHExplore was re-announced July 31th?

Nirolak wanting to bolster the number of iOS announcements confirmed.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Didn't the Road to TGS start August 1st?
And MHExplore was re-announced July 31th?

Nirolak wanting to bolster the number of iOS announcements confirmed.

It was announced on July 31st in the US, but wasn't it August 1st in Japan?

That was the logic I used on Digimon at least (which was announced at like the stroke of midnight in Japan haha).

I could be incorrect.

Edit:

Nope, it was posted at 3 AM my time, so the 31st it was!

Spiegel

It was announced on July 31st in the US, but wasn't it August 1st in Japan?

That was the logic I used on Digimon at least (which was announced at like the stroke of midnight in Japan haha).

I could be incorrect.

Edit:

Nope, it was posted at 3 AM my time, so the 31st it was!

7 hours before the 1st.

Shameful.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm kind of surprised how much Capcom has retrenched to being a Japanese publisher when their contemporaries are largely embracing becoming global publishers.

Square Enix:
-After buying Eidos, Square Enix continued to sign deals with studios like United Front (Sleeping Dogs) and Avalanche (Just Cause), and has recently been signing lots of deals with studios like Dontnod (Remember Me) for AAA digital games and Reto-Moto (Heroes & Generals, ex-IO staff), Pysonix (Nosgoth), and Behavior (Warhammer 40K) to supplement their push into f2p. They even started a new wholly owned studio with Square Enix Montreal that handles mobile/tablet development for their Western IPs.
-Square Enix also has continued signing partners in Japan for local content like Media.Vision (Chaos Rings) and Silicon (Bravely Default) on top of their old partners like Matrix (handles all the iOS ports of things like FF, used to do the DS ports).

Sega:
-Has made notable Western expansion with acquiring companies like Relic (Company of Heroes, Dawn of War) and Three Rings Design (Puzzle Pirates, Spiral Knights) on top of older acquisitions like Sports Interactive (Football Manager) and Creative Assembly (Total War, expanded to include a console team for Alien). They also recently signed independent studios like Sumo (Sonic Racing) and Big Red Button (Sonic Boom Wii U)/Sanzaru (Sonic Boom 3DS).
-They have also continued to invest in Japan with acquisitions like Atlus and signing new partners like tri-Ace (Phantasy Star Nova, previously Resonance of Fate).

Konami:
-Perhaps most surprisingly, Konami has started making notable pushes into Western development. They started KojiPro Los Angeles to work on Metal Gear and Konami UK to work on PES. They also started an El Segundo studio to work on social-mobile games for the West. They have a partnership with Mercury Steam (Lords of Shadow), but I'm not sure if that still exists.
-In Japan, they've worked heavily on social-mobile and also on reworking KojiPro to be able to develop games effectively including funding a new internal engine minded toward efficiency and letting them bring in foreign staff to the Tokyo studio as well. They also signed local independent developer Platinum Games to make Rising and it looks like they're probably signing them again as they finish up Bayonetta 2.

Namco Bandai is the main Japanese third party publisher outside of Capcom that hasn't made any notable Western push of late, but they have worked on localizing a lot of their Japanese content and considering Western technology solutions like Unreal Engine 4.

Capcom at this point only seems to have Capcom Vancouver left as far as their Western development goes and they had Microsoft publisher their last game. Now they're hiring 1000 new staff all in Japan and having them focus primarily on mobile and f2p online.

Like Ninja Theory seems to be making AAA downloadable games now (Square perhaps? They're signing stuff like that recently. We'll find out soon.) I realize DmC was not the world's most popular game here, but it got rated an 86 on Metacritic (which is one of Capcom's best ratings this entire generation across all platforms) and shipped 1.6 million copies, so it's something I feel they could have successfully kept investing in to improve, as opposed to things like RE:ORC which was a total lost cause. I suspect that Duck Tales and Strider were leftover projects from their old business model and not indicative of further similar efforts in the future.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'll be collecting them at least here as a list (without the extra info) for the final breakdown, but if there's demand I can make it a thread too.

The tm mark is in there to make searching easy.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
And the cross-plat continues (talking about Yakuza). So DQM for mobile? I honestly think the 3DS has a ton of these games already haha.
3DS might make more sense since generally on mobile you only have one game and continually update it, at least with f2p titles. They're primarily service businesses.

If it's a mobile title, it would presumably have to be quite different to Super Light so that it could be a separate service.

On the 3DS front, the business model is primarily consumer packaged goods (CPG), where they sell you a product for a lump sum and then sell you another one later, so they need a lot of new titles to keep making income.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
3DS might make more sense since generally on mobile you only have one game and continually update it, at least with f2p titles. They're primarily service businesses.

If it's a mobile title, it would presumably have to be quite different to Super Light so that it could be a separate service.

On the 3DS front, the business model is primarily consumer packaged goods (CPG), where they sell you a product for a lump sum and then sell you another one later, so they need a lot of new titles to keep making income.

Btw, so far have any of the DQM games actually been new? If so, maybe a new DQM game for the 3DS is in order?

zeromcd73

~ Resident Evil HD REmake coming to PS3/360 November 27 this year.

~ PS4/XB1 version releasing early next year

~ Only the PS3 version will have a physical release, others will be download only

Mpl90

Btw, so far have any of the DQM games actually been new? If so, maybe a new DQM game for the 3DS is in order?

During the event, it was stated that this was going to be nor a remake, neither a spin-off. It's probably the next main entry in the series, so probably 3DS indeed.

...Is it just me or did we get a plethora of announcemenrs from Famitsu?

Etrian Odyssey 2 remake (3DS)
Derby Stallion Gold (3DS)
Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3 (3DS/Vita)
Resident Evil HD Upport (PS3/360/PS4/One) ---> only PS3 sku retail, the others digital only (comprehensible since the others are niche platforms...wut)

Anything else?

Shinriji

Resident Evil HD Upport (PS3/360/PS4/One) ---> only PS3 sku retail, the others digital only (comprehensible since the others are niche platforms...wut)

Anything else?

Xblaze: Lost Memories (PS3/Vita)
Pawapuro 2014 (PS3/Vita) - No PSP this year.
Highschool DxD New Fight (Vita)

BriBri

During the event, it was stated that this was going to be nor a remake, neither a spin-off. It's probably the next main entry in the series, so probably 3DS indeed.

Anything else?
Derby Stalllion was announced last month at the Direct.

Mpl90

Wow, this week's Famitsu was full of news indeed.

Pawapuro not being on PSP anymore? Why not 3DS, then... And why no Winning Eleven on Vita, then?

The only Capcom game I can see the WiiU getting is MH4U if Capcom still wants to do those.

Which niche JP developers are you talking about? I don't see any developing on the WiiU.

The indie scene in Japan is kind of barren.

23 weeks:

PS4 : 638 669
PS3 : 844 183
WiiU: 918 768

With WiiU not getting the REmake HD "remaster" I stand by my initial statement with even more confidence.

Also for once a Famitsu scoop is actually a notable game reveal :eek:

Alrus

Wow, this week's Famitsu was full of news indeed.

Pawapuro not being on PSP anymore? Why not 3DS, then... And why no Winning Eleven on Vita, then?

Because lololol Konami we have no idea what we're doing with our sports game so we chose platforms at random lololol.

sörine

Banned
I think the odd thing about REmake HD skipping Wii U is that Revelations HD actually didn't perform too bad on the system. Looking at Capcom's shipment totals it likely did at least ~200k. That's surprisingly decent for a game that only did 1.2m across four platforms and with the other three having far more established markets than Wii U.

test_account

XP-39C²
sörine;124073927 said:
I think the odd thing about REmake HD skipping Wii U is that Revelations HD actually didn't perform too bad on the system. Looking at Capcom's shipment totals it likely did at least ~200k. That's surprisingly decent for a game that only did 1.2m across four platforms and with the other three having far more established markets than Wii U.
The addition of PS4 and Xbox One is probably the reason for it.

mao2

Anything else?
Xblaze: Lost Memories (PS3/Vita)
Downtown Nekketsu Koushinkyoku (ダウンタウン熱血行進曲) (PS3)

It's a sports/action game featuring characters from the Kunio-kun (River City Ransom) series. The PS3 version is a refined port of the original game on Famicom and PC Engine with addition of Story Mode and online play, and will be released in winter 2014 @ 4,800yen.
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/kunio/kunio5.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeLnGWg8VE4

Shizuka

Downtown Nekketsu Koushinkyoku (ダウンタウン熱血行進曲) (PS3)

It's a sports/action game featuring characters from the Kunio-kun (River City Ransom) series. The PS3 version is a refined port of the original game on Famicom and PC Engine with addition of Story Mode and online play, and will be released in winter 2014 @ 4,800yen.
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/kunio/kunio5.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeLnGWg8VE4

Refined port of a NES game. Oh, okay.

Top Bottom