• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 30, 2014 (Jul 21 - Jul 27)

Spiegel

sörine;124073927 said:
I think the odd thing about REmake HD skipping Wii U is that Revelations HD actually didn't perform too bad on the system. Looking at Capcom's shipment totals it likely did at least ~200k. That's surprisingly decent for a game that only did 1.2m across four platforms and with the other three having far more established markets than Wii U.

Maybe it was because Revelations WiiU didn't sell anywhere near 200k or 100k.

And the game is already playable on the system.

sörine

Banned
The addition of PS4 and Xbox One is probably the reason for it.
Yeah with production going for 5 platforms I can see Wii U getting squeezed out pretty easily. It's too bad as there's probably a market for this game on it, sort of like what happened with Vita and Revelations.

Maybe it was because Revelations WiiU didn't sell anywhere near 200k or 100k.

And the game is already playable on the system.
I'm just talking shipments. 350k Wii/U software shipped last FY and the only two releases were RER and MHFG. Some if that is catalog sales but MH3U did the bulk of shipments in the previous year and I can't imagine Wii games are doing much at this point. These are packaged sales only too, full game digital is accounted separately and not by platform. I figured around 200k would be a decent guess considering that but perhaps not?

We don't have any insight into sales beyond 12k physical it's first 2 weeks in Japan, right? Any NPD leaks?

Spiegel

sörine;124084571 said:
Yeah with production going for 5 platforms I can see Wii U getting squeezed out pretty easily. It's too bad as there's probably a market for this game on it, sort of like what happened with Vita and Revelations.

I'm just talking shipments. 350k Wii/U software shipped last FY and the only two releases were RER and MHFG. Some if that is catalog sales but MH3U did the bulk of shipments in the previous year and I can't imagine Wii games are doing much at this point. These are packaged sales only too, full game digital is accounted separately and not by platform. I figured around 200k would be a decent guess considering that but perhaps not?

We don't have any insight into sales beyond 12k physical it's first 2 weeks in Japan, right? Any NPD leaks?

NPD launch month

RE:R WiiU - 13k

Edit

Wrong. Thats the updated number at the end of 2013.

duckroll

REmaster is only getting a retail release on the PS3 in Japan. Does anyone really believe that it would even make sense for an eShop only release of it for the WiiU? That's even worse than a normal release for WiiU. :p

Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3 - 3DS/Vita

So which version is going to sell the most? Finally a relevant handheld multiplatform game.

PSV : Samurai Warriors 4 ( Koei Tecmo ) { 2014-03-20 } - 43,545 / 83,352
PSV : Samurai Warriors 4 [PlayStation Store] {DL} ( Koei Tecmo ) { 2014-03-20 } - - / 9,370

3DS : Samurai Warriors Chronicles ( Koei Tecmo ) { 2011-02-26 } - 43,044 / 155,059
3DS : Samurai Warriors Chronicles 2nd ( Koei Tecmo ) { 2012-09-13 } - 35,806 / 68,360

test_account

XP-39C²

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I did remember well, then. Re: Revelations' LTD up to December on consoles wasn't even on par with how much the original on 3DS sold up to its second month. In US. Holy hell.

Spiegel

So the RE:R numbers I remembered were LTD and not first month? Wow.

Now I'm curious about first month numbers for all three platforms.

Bruno MB

sörine;124101737 said:
With sales like that how the hell did Capcom ship 1.2m worldwide?

Yes, It's always been a mystery how Capcom can get away with so much channel stuffing.

We know that its combined Japan + US retail sales barely exceeds 300,000 units. We're missing European sales + digital but there is no way they are enough to get close to the amount Capcom said it sold.

So the RE:R numbers I remembered were LTD and not first month? Wow.

Now I'm curious about first month numbers for all three platforms.

[360] Resident Evil: Revelations - 27,000
[PS3] Resident Evil: Revelations - 25,000
[WIU] Resident Evil: Revelations - 6,000

Mpl90

The only way for the game to have reached 1.2 millions is if the PC version outsold heavily even PS3 and 360 ones, but...even if PC is growing, and there have been pretty good results for that, I find it implausible XD

It explains why I can find it for £11 at GAME. I mean that might not seem low but that is very low for a game at GAME that isn't second hand.

Alrus

Maybe they're lumping the 3DS version with it? :p Because even with insane channel stuffing skills, there's no way retailers would accept so much copies...

Also yeah, not surprised it's not coming to the Wii U, third party sales have been atrocious, it's not even worth bothering with ports for it. Better spend money on other more lucrative stuff.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Maybe they're lumping the 3DS version with it? :p Because even with insane channel stuffing skills, there's no way retailers would accept so much copies...

Also yeah, not surprised it's not coming to the Wii U, third party sales have been atrocious, it's not even worth bothering with ports for it. Better spend money on other more lucrative stuff.

"PS3,Xbox 360,WiiU,PC,DL"

A lot of Capcom games end up at liquidation clearing houses where you can buy copies for like $3 or $10 in a triple pack with two other ultra bomb games.

(I'll do the write-up in a moment though I'll need some help with developers/publishers as several of these titles will never be talked about outside the context of this list.)

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
REmaster is only getting a retail release on the PS3 in Japan. Does anyone really believe that it would even make sense for an eShop only release of it for the WiiU? That's even worse than a normal release for WiiU. :p

It's actually a little worse than even what you're thinking

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Road to TGS™.

This Famitsu had a lot of announcements, though quite a few were the kind of filler titles that we almost never talk about. The bigger ones were also not exactly flagship products. However, overall it was definitely above expectations given the modern state of TGS and how far out we are from the actual event.

Resident Evil HD Remaster
Platforms: PC/PS4/XB1/PS3/360 (downloadable, sans PS3 in Japan)
Genre: Survival Horror
Publisher: Capcom
Developer: Capcom
Special Notes:
-This is an HD remaster of the GameCube remake of Resident Evil 1.
-This is a downloadable game outside of a PS3 collector's edition in Japan.
-This suggests that things like Duck Tales HD and Strider might still be in the purview of what Capcom makes, given this is a lump sum purchase digital game.

Thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=868364

1407234303-4.jpg

Etrian Odyssey 2: Knight of Fafnir
Platforms: 3DS
Genre: Dungeon Crawler
Publisher: Sega
Developer: Atlus
Special Notes:
-This is the second remake in the Etrian Odyssey series. Presumably EO3 will also be remade.
-The remakes focus on modernizing things a bit and adding in a lot more story focus.

Thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=868358

l_53df3fb725fc5svdmj.jpg

Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3
Platforms: 3DS/Vita
Genre: Musou
Publisher: Tecmo Koei
Developer: Omega Force
Special Notes:
-3DS/Vita crossplatform games are fairly rare, so this sticks out a bit.
-This works like the previous titles in that they take characters/mechanics from the newest Samurai Warriors and make a handheld game.

Thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=868385

Xblaze: Lost Memories
Platforms: PS3/Vita
Genre: Visual Novel
Publisher: Arc System Works
Developer: Arc System Works
Special Notes:
-This is a visual novel spin-off of the BlazBlue fighting game series.
-This is a sequel to Xblaze - Code: Embryo, which was on the same platforms.

xblaze-lost-mem-annsspz1.jpg

Pawapuro 2014
Platforms: PS3/Vita
Genre: Baseball
Publisher: Konami
Developer: Pawapuro Production
Special Notes:
-This is one of Konami's two annual baseball titles. This is the one that stars cartoon characters.
-The PSP version was dropped this year.

High School DxD: New Fight
Platforms: Vita (f2p)
Genre: Vita Game™
Publisher: Marvelous
Developer: Unsure, probably Marvelous
Special Notes:
-This is a new f2p game from Marvelous.
-"The slightly ecchi harem RPG will feature item micro-transactions, original story battles, more than 50 girls to befriend, a dress-up mode, and a post-battle “Dress Break” mini-game, which . There will also be online co-op and battle elements. The scenario is being handled by the series’ original author."

Article: http://gematsu.com/2014/08/free-play-high-school-dxd-new-fight-announced-ps-vita#w7A6r8rVOPZUFzuw.99

Image (click at your own risk): http://abload.de/img/hsdxd-vita-f2pq6qkg.jpg

Downtown Nekketsu Koushinkyoku
Platforms: PS3
Genre: Sports/Action
Publisher: Technōs?
Developer: Technōs?
Special Notes:
-This is an enhanced port of a NES game.
-"It's a sports/action game featuring characters from the Kunio-kun (River City Ransom) series. The PS3 version is a refined port of the original game on Famicom and PC Engine with addition of Story Mode and online play, and will be released in winter 2014 @ 4,800yen."

Post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=124081112&postcount=449

The Transformers: Mystery of Convoy
Platforms: iOS/Android
Genre: Autorunner
Publisher: Takara?
Developer: ISCO did the original
Special Notes:
-This is an autorunner based on the NES sidescroller to help promote chibi Gundam figurines.

3YhKow4.jpg

Post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=124159574&postcount=479

Derby Stallion Gold
Platforms: 3DS
Genre: Horse Racing
Publisher: BOOK☆WALKER
Developer: ebten(エビテン)
Special Notes:
-I may have gotten the developer/publisher backwards.

53df3525b7fdb38xo3.jpg

sörine

Banned
Yes, It's always been a mystery how Capcom can get away with so much channel stuffing.

We know that its combined Japan + US retail sales barely exceeds 300,000 units. We're missing European sales + digital but there is no way they are enough to get close to the amount Capcom said it sold.
How does Capcom keep channel stuffing? I thought retail would've wised up after List Planet 2?

What's the 3DS version's US+Japan total?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
sörine;124116386 said:
How does Capcom keep channel stuffing? I thought retail would've wised up after List Planet 2?

What's the 3DS version's US+Japan total?

In the US and Europe, retailers have protection, so they just charge Capcom for either A.) the cost difference (including a margin) between what they paid for the game and what they had to sell it at or B.) the price of shipping the game back to Capcom, called "return fees".

Capcom then has to sell on the printed discs to liquidators who sell them for almost nothing or bundle them up in those triple packs you might have seen of PS2 games in 2008.

Capcom can actually lose a lot of money on this because they have to pay $10-$12 to have a disc printed no matter what they sell it at, and then might have to pay $7 in shipping and extra fees to get the unsold games back.

This is why there are often shortages on niche retail games, because games with very small profit margins don't want to risk losing money due to overstocking. This is also why you see some products go digital only in the West, like Ace Attorney or Dragon Quest.

In Japan, retailers are just stuck with however much stock they get, but this causes them to order a lot less and makes shortages more common.

Mpl90

You forgot Derby Stallion Gold. Which was hinted at during the third party Direct, so don't know if it counts or not.

You forgot Derby Stallion Gold. Which was hinted at during the third party Direct, so don't know if it counts or not.

And the Yakuza announcement but I think only announced games are going to be counted. When both of those get announced I'm sure they will be included.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

And the Yakuza announcement but I think only announced games are going to be counted. When both of those get announced I'm sure they will be included.

I can put Derby Stallion in if it wasn't really announced.

I've been holding off on DQM and Yakuza until they were really announced.

I didn't watch the Direct so I wasn't sure if it was a real reveal or not.

Who are the developer/publisher and is it a horse racing game or a gambling game?

Kysen

Where can I buy from these so called liquidation companies? I wouldn't mind picking RER up in a bundle.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Where can I buy from these so called liquidation companies? I wouldn't mind picking RER up in a bundle.

They're usually pretty small outfits like Half-Price Books sometimes stocks video games they get for cheap.

You see stacks of sealed games like this for $3-$6. You will notice some somewhat new titles like Hot Pursuit, Darkspore, and Cryostasis. This picture may have been taken quite a while ago so they'd have been pretty new then.

8qe1f.jpg

They go back pretty far too, though these are often used.

UfBvnsf.jpg

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Uh, was this intentional?

The employees there are stoners so very possible. Sorry, I didn't notice the joke at first as I was using GIS without thinking too much about it.

Edit:

I found a better one and replaced it.

8qe1f.jpg

You see they have things like Darkspore and Cryostasis for $6. These are unsold copies that publishers manufactured.

Almost everything of this nature is not a major retail store, though some carry them in close-outs bins you see on the main floors of gigantic department stores.

Basically this is where Capcom is shipping their excess games. I saw a bunch of packs containing Lost Planet 2 and Bionic Commando once for like $10.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Here's one more good example.

Apparently there's a place called Dollarama in Canada: http://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/comments/2b354c/dollarama_canada_instore_bargain_bins_now_have/

You will notice that the games have shrink wrap and are largely titles notorious for shipping more than they seemed to sell.

In this case, they're being sold for 2 for $3.

Reddit said:
These are located at the same place the store keeps their Blu-Rays/DVDs. They now have some decent titles available for those too, but mostly junk. The clerk said they received them around a week ago. Many are bundled 2 for 3$.
I bought these at my local store:
Alpha Protocol
Assassin's Creed 2
Assassin's Creed Revelations
D&D: Daggerdale (skip this one)
Divinity 2
Driver San Francisco
Prince of Persia Forgotten Sands
Sacred 2
Settlers 7
Splinter Cell Conviction

AMPffA3.jpg

Takao

Banned
Bandai Namco released their Q1 report: http://www.bandainamco.co.jp/files/E8A39CE8B6B3E8B387E69699EFBC88E88BB1E78988EFBC89_2.pdf

Super Robot Wars Z 3 - 400k (PS3/PSV)
Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment - 270k (PSV)
Taiko Drum Master - 150k (3DS)
Mobile Suit Gundam: Side Stories - 130k (PS3)

The Transformers: Mystery of Convoy
Platforms: iOS/Android
Genre: Sidescroller
Publisher: Takara?
Developer: ISCO did the original
Special Notes:
-"Holy fuck the real megaton there is that a remake/sequel of the NES Transformers game is coming to iOS/Android! FUCK YEAH!!!!!!!!!!" - duckroll, the only source of info on this game, since most Japanese mobile titles don't get Western coverage

Post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=124057391&postcount=26

3YhKow4.jpg

It's a notoriously awful Famicom sidescroller revived as an auto runner on phones. In a way, it's kind of symbolic of the entire industry.

saichi

L~A

Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3 - 3DS/Vita

So which version is going to sell the most? Finally a relevant handheld multiplatform game.

PSV : Samurai Warriors 4 ( Koei Tecmo ) { 2014-03-20 } - 43,545 / 83,352
PSV : Samurai Warriors 4 [PlayStation Store] {DL} ( Koei Tecmo ) { 2014-03-20 } - - / 9,370

3DS : Samurai Warriors Chronicles ( Koei Tecmo ) { 2011-02-26 } - 43,044 / 155,059
3DS : Samurai Warriors Chronicles 2nd ( Koei Tecmo ) { 2012-09-13 } - 35,806 / 68,360

Was SW4 a late port or a simultaneous release with PS3? Didn't know SWC actually outsold it.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
The real weird thing about Capcom and Wii U support for me is how there's no (U)SSF IV (arcade) port for it. There are a million ports and slightly different version of SF IV, and Street Fighter is a franchise with a long tradition (also) on Nintendo consoles.

But then again, so has Resident Evil, but those games has always been much more attached to the playstation brand to me (releasing first, with later ports to other platforms etc.)

sörine

Banned
The real weird thing about Capcom and Wii U support for me is how there's no (U)SSF IV (arcade) port for it. There are a million ports and slightly different version of SF IV, and Street Fighter is a franchise with a long tradition (also) on Nintendo consoles.
That sticks out less than REmake since USF4 isn't getting ports to anything other than what AE was already on. REmake itself though isn't the only HD Remaster that seems weird skipping Wii U imo (Soulcalibur II, Tales of Symphonia).

L~A

sörine;124200746 said:
That sticks out less than REmake since USF4 isn't getting ports to anything other than what AE was already on. REmake itself though isn't the only HD Remaster that seems weird skipping Wii U imo (Soulcalibur II, Tales of Symphonia).

Yup, and you don't even need a clearer sign about how 3rd-parties have completely stopped caring about the Wii U (months ago). I mean, if they can't be bothered to port ultra-low-effort ports like RE-REmake, then they're certainly not gonna bother with anything else unless Nintendo foots the bill.

Super Robot Wars Z 3 - 400k (PS3/PSV)
Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment - 270k (PSV)
Taiko Drum Master - 150k (3DS)
Mobile Suit Gundam: Side Stories - 130k (PS3)

Those seems like some good numbers all around, apart from possibly Gundam.

Do we know how much the PSP version of Sword Art Online shipped? Seems like a really good result for Hollow Fragment.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Really cant understand REmake not hitting WiiU - they have a relative strong RE fanbase on Nintendo systems and the game is hitting every other platform. Porting the game to WiiU from PS360 and having it being avaible as an eShop download just cant cost that much, that they can bother with it.

Or maybe the HD Remasters are leading up to the unveiling of an oldschool style RE7 and they dont want to place wrong expectations to WiiU owners, if RE7 doesnt hit the system (which is expected anyway).

Thats the reason why their upcoming handheld/console need to run under one Nintendo OS and make porting as simple as possible. When Capcom is making major MH money on your handheld but you cant get them to put a HD Remaster on your homeconsole something is wrong. Its been a while that Nintendo has been in such a weak position when it comes to home consoles, they even had to "sell out" an IP like Zelda to Tecmo to get at least some support from them.

For the next term they really have to get way more proactive than they are now and make it commercially viable to put every kind of content on their system. Its just sends a very bad message when a) the game is technically possible on the system b) and will be released on any other system, even PC - something just really feels off and i dont really think that Iwata/NCL couldnt somehow persuade Capcom to reconsider their plans.

On one hand its nice that Nintendo concentrates on exclusive content like Bayonetta, Fatal Frame and co. but missing out on obvious big IPs is a big mistake. Even for their western support, if they could have secured maybe 3-4 mayor IPs like Destiny, GTA and MGS to also hit their system other devs may have followed.

Well maybe next time :)

Really cant understand REmake not hitting WiiU - they have a relative strong RE fanbase on Nintendo systems and the game is hitting every other platform. Porting the game to WiiU from PS360 and having it being avaible as an eShop download just cant cost that much, that they can bother with it.

Or maybe the HD Remasters are leading up to the unveiling of an oldschool style RE7 and they dont want to place wrong expectations to WiiU owners, if RE7 doesnt hit the system (which is expected anyway).

Thats the reason why their upcoming handheld/console need to run under one Nintendo OS and make porting as simple as possible. When Capcom is making major MH money on your handheld but you cant get them to put a HD Remaster on your homeconsole something is wrong. Its been a while that Nintendo has been in such a weak position when it comes to home consoles, they even had to "sell out" an IP like Zelda to Tecmo to get at least some support from them.

For the next term they really have to get way more proactive than they are now and make it commercially viable to put every kind of content on their system. Its just sends a very bad message when a) the game is technically possible on the system b) and will be released on any other system, even PC - something just really feels off and i dont really think that Iwata/NCL couldnt somehow persuade Capcom to reconsider their plans.

On one hand its nice that Nintendo concentrates on exclusive content like Bayonetta, Fatal Frame and co. but missing out on obvious big IPs is a big mistake. Even for their western support, if they could have secured maybe 3-4 mayor IPs like Destiny, GTA and MGS to also hit their system other devs may have followed.

Well maybe next time :)

Really? Its pretty obvious:

RE:R

JP

PS3 : 188,851
WiiU : 11,973
360 : 6,099

NPD

360 ~ 55k
PS3 ~ 53k
WiiU ~ 13k

Now it must be noted that only PS3 seems to have a retail release so Capcom not even sparing an eShop release just tells us what Capcom thinks of the WiiU and its consumer base. I don't think ease of porting is the issue. The vita gets PS3 ports easily but its not getting RE. I think its because both the Vita and WiiU are deadbeat systems.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Really? Its pretty obvious:

RE:R

JP

PS3 : 188,851
WiiU : 11,973
360 : 6,099

NPD

360 ~ 55k
PS3 ~ 53k
WiiU ~ 13k

Now it must be noted that only PS3 seems to have a retail release so Capcom not even sparing an eShop release just tells us what Capcom thinks of the WiiU and its consumer base. I don't think ease of porting is the issue. The vita gets PS3 ports easily but its not getting RE. I think its because both the Vita and WiiU are deadbeat systems.

Erm not really - especially when you consider when it was released and how vast the userbase difference was. I dont think REmake isnt hitting the WiiU because of the Revelations performance. They also stated that MH3U was a "smash hit", but also didnt follow through with MH4U. They just gave up on WiiU. Expecting Revelations to sell as much as it did on way more mature systems, when it already was an old port to a 3DS game would be madness.

WiiU situations right now looks a bit better than back then, especially when we consider lackluster performance of PS4/XBO in Japan and what is so far announced for Japan this holiday season. Just dont see them dropping a potential Q1 REmake release on WiiU, because Revelations HD didnt sold as much as the PS360 version did in Q1 2013.

It has to be more of a general statement that the system as a whole isnt worth anykind of investment without a money hat. Vita is or was in the same situation after the launch and when they decided to put MH on 3DS.

test_account

XP-39C²
sörine;124101737 said:
Probably not much but the cost itself might not be the limiting factor.

With sales like that how the hell did Capcom ship 1.2m worldwide?
That is true, it might also be about having enough employees free to work on the game/porting.

L~A

Erm not really - especially when you consider when it was released and how vast the userbase difference was. I dont think REmake isnt hitting the WiiU because of the Revelations performance. They also stated that MH3U was a "smash hit", but also didnt follow through with MH4U. They just gave up on WiiU. Expecting Revelations to sell as much as it did on way more mature systems, when it already was an old port to a 3DS game would be madness.

WiiU situations right now looks a bit better than back then, especially when we consider lackluster performance of PS4/XBO in Japan and what is so far announced for Japan this holiday season. Just dont see them dropping a potential Q1 REmake release on WiiU, because Revelations HD didnt sold as much as the PS360 version did in Q1 2013.

It has to be more of a general statement that the system as a whole isnt worth anykind of investment without a money hat. Vita is or was in the same situation after the launch and when they decided to put MH on 3DS.

You can't really take MH3U as example, as the Wii U version was released one year after the 3DS version in Japan. There was no way Capcom was gonna have the game on both consoles this year, even if the Wii U was selling like crazy.

Unless my memory's all messed up, Capcom never EVER release a handheld and consoel version of the same MH game simultaneously. Much profitable for them to "milk" each version as much as possible.

I think it is and also as you say user base. WiiU's user base grows at such a snail pace that despite there being a considerable amount of time between those games the situation still looks bad.

Bruno MB

The beast remains unstoppable.

01./01. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Ganso / Honke <RPG> (Level 5) {2014.07.10} (¥4.937) - 156.589 / 1.894.593 (-21%)

3DS Hardware - 41.183 (42.512)

L~A

Media Create:

3DS LL 31,740
Vita 17,179
Wii U 9,646
3DS 7,019
PS3 6,605
PS4 5,695
Vita TV 1,506
PSP 464
Xbox 360 157