• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 30, 2017 (Jul 24 - Jul 30)

I think some type of Deluxe type port is still in the cards and Sakurai will have free reign on a new pet project like Kid Icarus on 3DS.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I think Smash 4 deluxe is very possibly the big online game launching with paid online early next year.

Talking about ARMS, the release timing was very strange. It's a new IP that is basically Splatoon for fighting games, and they release it just a month before Splatoon 2. I wonder what the reasoning was, as it seems really misguided.
Probably would've been good if it launched in May.
The lack of meaningful updates has been a bummer too.

Switch has the software that 3DS lacked.

I see no reason why sales would plummet anytime soon.
3DS's killer software didn't arrive till year's end.
MK7, Mario 3D Land, and MH3 were that for the 3DS and they released in November/December?
Switch got Mario Kart on the second month, Splatoon in July, Mario in October.
MHXX and Pokken likely won't have too much of an impact, but should help

NotLiquid

Talking about ARMS, the release timing was very strange. It's a new IP that is basically Splatoon for fighting games, and they release it just a month before Splatoon 2. I wonder what the reasoning was, as it seems really misguided.

Breath of the Wild, MK8D, Splatoon 2 and Odyssey are the four "tentpole" Switch titles of this year. Out of those, Splatoon 2 is probably the one that's going to maintain the longest mindshare because of it still being fresh in people's minds, it being online multiplayer and also having a continuous update schedule. Releasing ARMS after Splatoon 2 wouldn't make much sense because then it would probably be overshadowed by Splatoon for the longest time. Releasing it even longer after that would also not be the best idea since the game was originally marketed on the Switch's control gimmicks and would probably sell much better as an early adopter title.

Their best bet was really to get it out as soon as possible. The best case scenario would have been releasing it in May, but I guess it just wasn't ready for that yet.

Probably would've been good if it launched in May.
The lack of meaningful updates has been a bummer too.

There's an update coming next week.

Unfortunately the fact that it is a fighting game means that there's going to be a longer dearth of content because balancing is going to be much more intimate.

ARMS was a stop gap and hole filler.

Thankfully it sold well and it's on people's radar. I'll buy it eventually, and I'm sure others will too.

Nintendo knew what they were doing and I think they did well. People needed something to play at that time.

Eolz

If there's a Smash 5 in the works for Switch, I really doubt it'll be ready in 2019 let alone 2018. Those take a while and I don't think Sakurai would agree to start immediately on a new one after the DLCs for Smash 4 were done.

Well apparently Sakurai might be working on a non-Smash project again.
Since he did way too much on Smash 4 (to the point of injury/sickness), and that he did it mainly by friendship with Iwata, I doubt he'll be more than a supervisor on 5. He seemed happy with Namco's work after all.
And I can see it happening in fall 2019 tbh. If pre-prod started before and if they knew that Sakurai wouldn't be full-on director, they likely had time to make plans around that. It's a big production, but there's multiple factors to consider there.

Anyway, back on topic, the Switch has a fantastic 1st party lineup this first year, this is not the issue.

Smash 4 came out in 2014. An enhanced port over a year after launch and 4 years after the game's launch would be a bit disappointing. Seems like they should have enough time to do something substantial

Eolz

Smash 4 came out in 2014. An enhanced port over a year after launch and 4 years after the game's launch would be a bit disappointing. Seems like they should have enough time to do something substantial

Technically, the development didn't stop until february 2016 with the release of the final DLC characters. Even with a drastically reduced team (like any game post-release), this was more work than some basic balance patch.

Mory Dunz

I think the big switch games for next year will be:

AC
Kirby
DQ11
Mario Maker
Pikmin 4
Smash Port
Retro's game (new IP, single player action adventure genre)
FE
Yoshi at the bottom ;)

And slightly more random guesses
Mario Party 11
Top Down Zelda
LM3
Platinum game with nintendo IP
I have no idea if Pokemon or Metroid will make 2018...

I think the big switch games for next year will be:

AC
Kirby
DQ11
Mario Maker
Smash Port
Retro's game (new IP, single player action adventure genre)
FE

And slightly more random guesses
Mario Party 11
Top Down Zelda
LM3
Platinum game with nintendo IP
I have no idea if Pokemon or Metroid will make 2018...

What's LM3?

And everyone forgets Yoshi :(

Nobody's thinking Pikmin?

Am I right in saying Nintendo's only officially announced internally developed Switch game beyond 2017 is Metroid 4? ( I think it was said to be internal? )

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
300 Switches at Bic Camera Yuurakuchou lottery today, over 2000 participated again.

Code:
+-----------------+-----+---------+---------+---------+
|      Week       | BIC |   M-C   |   FAM   |   DEN   |
| May 22 - May 28 |  93 |  27.146 |  27.440 |  24.612 |
| May 29 - Jun 04 |  84 |  23.524 |  25.274 |  24.735 |
| Jun 05 - Jun 11 |  83 |  27.291 |  28.293 |  29.020 |
| Jun 12 - Jun 18 |  99 |  37.709 |  49.440 |  43.850 |
| Jun 19 - Jun 25 |  59 |  22.361 |  26.964 |  22.495 |
| Jun 26 - Jul 02 |  54 |  25.805 |  24.736 |  25.442 |
| Jul 03 - Jul 09 | 120 |  26.256 |  36.143 |  32.769 |
| Jul 10 - Jul 16 |  63 |  31.906 |  25.154 |  24.462 |
| Jul 17 - Jul 23 | 138+|  98.999 | 102.581 |  93.611 |+ preordered Splatoon 2 bundles
| Jul 24 - Jul 30 | 500 |  89.314 | 105.697 |  90.522 |
| Jul 31 - Aug 06 | 300 |         |         |         |

schuelma

300 Switches at Bic Camera Yuurakuchou lottery today, over 2000 participated again.

Code:
|      Week       | BIC |   M-C   |   FAM   |   DEN   |
| May 22 - May 28 |  93 |  27.146 |  27.440 |  24.612 |
| May 29 - Jun 04 |  84 |  23.524 |  25.274 |  24.735 |
| Jun 05 - Jun 11 |  83 |  27.291 |  28.293 |  29.020 |
| Jun 12 - Jun 18 |  99 |  37.709 |  49.440 |  43.850 |
| Jun 19 - Jun 25 |  59 |  22.361 |  26.964 |  22.495 |
| Jun 26 - Jul 02 |  54 |  25.805 |  24.736 |  25.442 |
| Jul 03 - Jul 09 | 120 |  26.256 |  36.143 |  32.769 |
| Jul 10 - Jul 16 |  63 |  31.906 |  25.154 |  24.462 |
| Jul 17 - Jul 23 | 138+|  98.999 | 102.581 |  93.611 |+ preordered Splatoon 2 bundles
| Jul 24 - Jul 30 | 500 |  89.314 | 105.697 |  90.522 |
| Jul 31 - Aug 06 | 300|         |         |         |

Like you said I bet we see 65-75K then back up for the holiday period.

ARMS was a stop gap and hole filler.

Thankfully it sold well and it's on people's radar. I'll buy it eventually, and I'm sure others will too.

Nintendo knew what they were doing and I think they did well. People needed something to play at that time.

You don't put the Mario Kart team on a new IP for it to be "a stop gap and hole filler." They intended for it to do very well. I'd call the game's performance in Japan so far very disappointing, but maybe it was meant to appeal more to Western gamers.

As far as release timing goes, I just wouldn't have put both Mario Kart and Splatoon around it. If it had to release in between those two though, yeah, should have been May. The slow release of additional content isn't helping, indeed.

schuelma

I'd call the game's performance in Japan so far very disappointing, but maybe it was meant to appeal more to Western gamers.
d.

That's a reach. Its over 200K on an install base of 1.3M. Should at the very least make it past 300K.

For a new IP I think that's pretty solid. Not great- its not Splatoon. But "very disappointing"? Nah

That's a reach. Its over 200K on an install base of 1.3M. Should at the very least make it past 300K.

For a new IP I think that's pretty solid. Not great- its not Splatoon. But "very disappointing"? Nah

Again, it's the Mario Kart team. "Past 300k" LTD would be a pathetic result. Do you really think they expected that little out of this venture?

suicreeps

Relative to other fighting IPs I would say arms is in a fairly decent position, not to say Nintendo might have wanted more, but it definitely didn't flop or do poorly.

schuelma

Again, it's the Mario Kart team. "Past 300k" LTD would be a pathetic result. Do you really think they expected that little out of this venture?

Buts its not MK 9. Its basically a new take on a fighter, which isn't exactly incredibly huge in Japan.

Maybe they're slightly disappointed, but its not like its a bomb or anything.

KtSlime

It really depends on what they were expecting, even at a lowly 200k, that puts it ahead of most of games released and would make it a top 20 selling game if it were on PS4.

As to Biohazard: I think it will be two separate editions, that's usually what goes on here.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/game/content/biohazard/info/game/3045

Not much information on their site, it just says that it will be coming to Switch for sale in 2017, and to wait for continuing information.

Luigi's mansion.

I didn't forget Yoshi, I just don't think it will sell huge in japan
I guess I can tho.

It could go either way I guess. Woolly World did pretty decently for a late Wii U game, and I think I remember New Island doing well (like 200k+) even though it's not a very good game. But we'll see.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
What does it matter that its the Mario kart team? This game has already sold a million worldwide with it being a new ip that's also a fighter, in Japan its already in the higher echelon of fighters that came out in the part like 10 years, why in gods name would they be disappointed?

D.Lo

New IP in different genre with no established brand sells less than a landmark entry in a 25 year franchise. Holy crap I can't believe Codename Steam sold less than Zelda Breath of the Wild!

Reki

ARMS shipped more than a million in half a month. Like 90% of games won't reach that number in their lifetimes.

2017 will be so good for a Nintendo that 2018 so always pale in comparison to it. Here is what i see happening next year

Smash (enhanced port in Jan to launch alongside online service)

Kirby
Yoshi (one of these two will release in April, the other later in the year)

Fire Emblem (June?)

Animal Crossing (Late Sept early Oct to allow for all the big fall/winter holidays to be in game asap)

Retro New IP (Big November title)

1 or 2 Wii U ports (#FE is something i definitely see a future port of)

I think we'll also see one or more of the following:

- 2D Mario
- 2D Zelda
- Super Mario Maker (enhanced port or sequel)

watershed

Banned
ARMS' 1 million plus in sales so far already puts it into the B-tier of Nintendo franchises in terms of not selling gangbusters but selling well and consistently being good games like the Pikmin series.

Here's my question in relation to Nirolak's Road to TGS list; think it's safe to assume the new Atelier game will be on Switch? KT seem very into the Switch and NoA2 is already on it and I would think it runs on the same engine.

We'll know on Tuesday most likely. Also apparently Famitsu will have a Switch software showcase next issue, so it'd be fitting to unveil that the new Atelier is coming to Switch as well.

foxuzamaki

ARMS' 1 million plus in sales so far already puts it into the B-tier of Nintendo franchises in terms of not selling gangbusters but selling well and consistently being good games like the Pikmin series.
Xenoblade constantly navigating between c and b tiers

Mory Dunz

You don't put the Mario Kart team on a new IP for it to be "a stop gap and hole filler." They intended for it to do very well. I'd call the game's performance in Japan so far very disappointing, but maybe it was meant to appeal more to Western gamers.

USA was always going to be it's biggest market, but even then I expected 300k plus and it didn't do that.

Overall, it's below my expectations, but not hugely. It did still ship a large amount, so we'll see how that pans out next corner. Legs around all the juggernauts will be telling.

Reki

Xenoblade constantly navigating between c and b tiers

That's mean (but true).

I can't believe they still let Takahashi make big games (although with not that big of a budget, as he has said) with those sales. Maybe he is given free reign as long as Monolith Kyoto remains enslaved or something.

However, keep they coming! I'd love a Xenosaga or Xenogears remaster too, but that's almost impossible.

Ōkami

Bic Camera in Akiba also got 200 units for lotteries, about 2000 people participated too.

The new DQX expansion isn't a new announcement btw, we've known about it for months, what we now know is what its called and when its coming out.

Alrus

Did they ever announce an actual release date for DQ X Switch? (and PS4 for that matter) Is it releasing at the same time as 4.0 or earlier?

Did they ever announce an actual release date for DQ X Switch? (and PS4 for that matter) Is it releasing at the same time as 4.0 or earlier?

I believe DQX is October and 4.0 is November.

Edit: nope I'm wrong. It releases on PS4 in August and Switch in September. 4.0 releases on both in November.

foxuzamaki

That's mean (but true).

I can't believe they still let Takahashi make big games (although with not that big of a budget, as he has said) with those sales. Maybe he is given free reign as long as Monolith Kyoto remains enslaved or something.

However, keep they coming! I'd love a Xenosaga or Xenogears remaster too, but that's almost impossible.
I didn't mean it in a mean way, I love their games and love monolithsoft, but their games are high profile but don't have the huge sales that their reputation proceeds, like metroid, but their sales always teeter the line between just reaching a million. But they also budget their games to seem like they cost more than they do but still make a profit for Nintendo
It seems the only thing keeping it from reaching fire emblem tier is the timing or the console their xenoblade games came out

Top Bottom