• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 30, 2017 (Jul 24 - Jul 30)

KtSlime

I mean, just anecdotally (I've been to a Best Denki, GEO, and Yodobashi) I've hardly seen any material for MHXX on Switch aside from usually a small poster around the Nintendo area that says it's coming out this month.

On the other side, Sony/Capcom has pamphlets in the PS4 section for a game not coming out for months from now. No mention of XO (obviously) or PC versions so for all intents and purpose anyone coming into the store will see it as a PS4 exclusive.

This is the pamphlet, only has a couple pages:
Syn2AK2.jpg

Ph4jNUJ.jpg

Back has release dates and and ads for Crash, DQXI, and Everyone's Golf, along with the models of PS4 on sale.

I think they should be doing more posters and advertising, however there is a 2 page spread in their 2017 Summer Software Catalog free next to the Nintendo games.

Edit: sorry too busy today to walk to Geo and take photos of it.

No one expects MHXX Switch to outsell MHW. It's not happening.

Depending on how supply is throughout the rest of the Year, I wouldn't be so sure of that. DQ XI is a new entry in a traditionally single player franchise. MHW is an entry into a franchise that's traditionally multiplayer and played locally. Therefore, DQ XI rather good sales can't judge anything with MH.

Sayad

On the other side, Sony/Capcom has pamphlets in the PS4 section for a game not coming out for months from now. No mention of XO (obviously) or PC versions so for all intents and purpose anyone coming into the store will see it as a PS4 exclusive.
Is it even coming out on X1 in Japan?!

Depending on how supply is throughout the rest of the Year, I wouldn't be so sure of that. DQ XI is a new entry in a traditionally single player franchise. MHW is an entry into a franchise that's traditionally multiplayer and played locally. Therefore, DQ XI rather good sales can't judge anything with MH.

MHXX Switch is an HD port of an expanded 3DS spinoff that wasn't well received. I don't see it outselling a brand new MH game, even if it's tied down to a mediocre install base and missing features.

Branduil

I'm not sure why people are acting like the existence of a portable-only mini Switch negates the existence of the normal Switch. People who want those features can, you know, buy a regular Switch.

D.Lo

I mean, just anecdotally (I've been to a Best Denki, GEO, and Yodobashi) I've hardly seen any material for MHXX on Switch aside from usually a small poster around the Nintendo area that says it's coming out this month.

Yep that's what I've seen too. More stuff for Pikmin and Mario than XX.

MHW completely took the wind out of XXNS. I guess 100k will happen from bundles?

Fukuzatsu

I think they should be doing more posters and advertising, however there is a 2 page spread in their 2017 Summer Software Catalog free next to the Nintendo games.

Edit: sorry too busy today to walk to Geo and take photos of it.

I'm guessing you mean this?:
mHn4UOA.jpg

If so, the spot designated for it in the magazine is definitely not two pages:
pDhsUfD.jpg

As you can see, it's sandwiched between ARK and a dating/relationship app.

As a point of comparison, here's the previous page, featuring Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2 and Everyone's Golf:
xPolDlc.jpg

MHXX Switch is an HD port of an expanded 3DS spinoff that wasn't well received. I don't see it outselling a brand new MH game, even if it's tied down to a mediocre install base and missing features.

Yeah... But XX is portable. I'm not saying that it will outsell MHW, but it's possible.

ggx2ac

I honestly think a handheld only Switch will eventually come, but if it's after the main unit has sold 50 million and a bunch of cheaper 'selects' games and downloads are out, there won't be any confusion or software price issues at that point.

Except that would only benefit first party games because third parties can't choose to sell their games for cheaper as easily considering the platform fees aside from the retailer fees.

The only way to get around the price problem is that a handheld only Switch would literally have to become the PSP Go.

A handheld and digital only Switch which would need more internal memory or to have an SD Card included in the package.

Use of the eShop would give you reduced prices for retail games however, they need to be marked in a way that people don't abuse the system. E.g. It needs to recognise you bought the game on a 'Switch Go' so that if you go back to a regular Switch with your account, you have to pay a fee for the game otherwise everyone would be abusing buying the same game for cheaper.

D.Lo

Except that would only benefit first party games because third parties can't choose to sell their games for cheaper as easily considering the platform fees aside from the retailer fees.

The only way to get around the price problem is that a handheld only Switch would literally have to become the PSP Go.

A handheld and digital only Switch which would need more internal memory or to have an SD Card included in the package.

Use of the eShop would give you reduced prices for retail games however, they need to be marked in a way that people don't abuse the system. E.g. It needs to recognise you bought the game on a 'Switch Go' so that if you go back to a regular Switch with your account, you have to pay a fee for the game otherwise everyone would be abusing buying the same game for cheaper.
I mean, we disagree. I'm personally extremely confident it will happen as a cost reduced, more rugged system for kids to play pokemon on.

Fukuzatsu

Is it even coming out on X1 in Japan?!

I mean maybe it is? I'm not joking when I say you could be forgiven for thinking the Xbox is discontinued entirely (or in a similar state to the WiiU at least).

This is the entire XO section at my local Yodobashi (the PS3, PS4, and Vita each get double-sided aisles).
w30p2xn.jpg

The section at GEO is even sadder, all the Xbox series games (OG, 360, and XO) are sitting under the used Gamecube games:
yDjXcCA.jpg

I was expecting MHXX Switch to be a 500k-1m seller, but that's not looking likely.

MHW is tricky because it's on a console, but there's real hype behind it. I'm going to say 1.5m. Maybe 2m depending where DQXI finishes.

I mean, we disagree. I'm personally extremely confident it will happen as a cost reduced, more rugged system for kids to play pokemon on.

I agree with your last post but at 30M units instead of 50M, which could be early 2019 or thereabouts. From Kimishima's statements they are keen to have an entry level system, that's currently served by the 3DS but eventually will need to be something newer, and I don't think how well Switch sells will have much of an impact on that thinking.
I don't know if a 4GB Switch game card costs more than a 4GB 3DS game card, maybe it does but it's something that could come down and make lower sized games sell at traditional handheld level prices.

Kyoufu

Yeah... But XX is portable. I'm not saying that it will outsell MHW, but it's possible.

I don't think it's possible. I think it'll have a low debut and even if it had legs, by the time it would get near MHW the next Monster Hunter title for Switch would be announced/released anyway.

MHXX was never going to be big on Switch even if MHW didn't exist tbh. The game just isn't received well enough for people to buy it in droves again. Everyone owns it already on their 3DS and with the game supporting cross play there's not a whole lot of incentive to get the Switch version anyway.

KtSlime

I'm guessing you mean this?:
mHn4UOA.jpg

If so, the spot designated for it in the magazine is definitely not two pages:
pDhsUfD.jpg

As you can see, it's sandwiched between ARK and a dating/relationship app.

As a point of comparison, here's the previous page, featuring Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2 and Everyone's Golf:
xPolDlc.jpg

No, the official Nintendo one, Nintendo 2017夏 ソフトカタログ, the one with the red square on the left.

hiska-kun

First Day Sell-through {2017.08.03}

[3DS] Great Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 2 - Naruhodou Ryuunosuke no Kakugo <ADV> (Capcom) {2017.08.03} (¥5.800) - 30%

[PS4] Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy <ACT> (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2017.08.03} (¥4.900) - 70%

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member

No, XX Switch is a port of a 3DS game that launched and sold over a million months beforehand. Whoever left that even bothers to pick up the Switch version instead of just waiting for MHW will be a pretty insignificant amount. I'm still banking it'll reach 100k, but anything higher is a mystery. Far cry from MHW, which should easily open up to 700k or so

Maxinas

[3DS] Great Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 2 - Naruhodou Ryuunosuke no Kakugo <ADV> (Capcom) {2017.08.03} (¥5.800) - 30%

[PS4] Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy <ACT> (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2017.08.03} (¥4.900) - 70%

Ouch, that looks quite back for Ace Attorney.

No, XX Switch is a port of a 3DS game that launched and sold over a million months beforehand. Whoever left that even bothers to pick up the Switch version instead of just waiting for MHW will be a pretty insignificant amount. I'm still banking it'll reach 100k, but anything higher is a mystery. Far cry from MHW, which should easily open up to 700k or so

I think it will do better than 100k. Well, let's wait. :)

I hope both versions sell well!

D.Lo

XX would have sold better if it were not for MHW announcement IMO. XX looked like a grooming game, especially with the special edition console, a message saying 'Switch is the future of MH'. As such fans could take the opportunity to invest in a Switch and grab XX, which allows them to move their save file from the 3DS game, with the heavy implication that MH5 would be coming to Switch.

But now, Capcom have essentially said PS4 is the future of MH. It's been confirmed MHW is MH5. So XX is now a dead end for fans. If you already have a Switch and are a hardcore MH fan, you may grab it. But no way you'd get a Switch for XX now.

Capcom are super dumb for announcing MHW before XXNS was out.

Vena

I'm not even really sure what point you're trying to make. D.Lo's point is that for the scenario to occur (which is extremely unlikely) one of or both of his conditions would need to be met.

The fact that its getting a weak marketing push (a port of an enhanced release) vs. the new hotness... is not against his point nor is it weird nor is it much of a point to even raise. That's just common sense. It is in fact exactly his point, this is not a strong release, this is a weak release and for it to perform to the level of 50% of World, it'd either have to skirt expectations severely (which won't really be dependent on marketing given the product) or World would have to have a catastrophic performance.

MHW is exclusive to the PS4 in Japan.

Damn, that seens really bad for PW.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
XX would have sold better if it were not for MHW announcement IMO. XX looked like a grooming game, especially with the special edition console, a message saying 'Switch is the future of MH'. As such fans could take the opportunity to invest in a Switch and grab XX, which allows them to move their save file from the 3DS game, with the heavy implication that MH5 would be coming to Switch.

But now, Capcom have essentially said PS4 is the future of MH. It's been confirmed MHW is MH5. So XX is now a dead end for fans. If you already have a Switch and are a hardcore MH fan, you may grab it. But no way you'd get a Switch for XX now.

Such a stupid decision...

Sandfox

Ouch, that looks quite back for Ace Attorney.

Don't worry they'll make it up with western sales...oh wait.

In all seriousness, I think this game only exists because Shu Takumi wanted to finish the story he began in the first game. The series in general is in decline like everything else Capcom makes though.

Curious to see how big the shipment for crash is. It seems to be massively over performing wherever it releases. It was reasonably popular in Japan as well. Not expecting big things but wondering if 100K+ is possible (thinking more likely life time for those numbers).

MHXX will really underperform IMO. MHW has sucked any hype from its release which was already pretty subdued anyway. It'll be lucky to sell more than 100-200K. I think MHW is going to beat most expectations and potentially end up he best selling game on the PS4.

hiska-kun

Curious to see how big the shipment for crash is. It seems to be massively over performing wherever it releases. It was reasonably popular in Japan as well. Not expecting big things but wondering if 100K+ is possible (thinking more likely life time for those numbers).

Despite bigger sell-through than Ace Attorney 2, sales are lower.

The order of the sell-through games is by units sold.

Vena

I think MHW is going to beat most expectations and potentially end up he best selling game on the PS4.

You expect it to sell more than DQ (which should level out at around 1.5-1.6mil)? You expect more than 1/5th of the PS4 base to buy MH? SE put effort into building an audience, Capcom's had their fingers up their noses all gen. Capcom has done zero work in actually fostering an audience for this.

So... how, exactly?

I'd sooner expect more than *half* the LTD of DQ, but not anywhere near it.

KtSlime

Don't worry they'll make it up with western sales...oh wait.

In all seriousness, I think this game only exists because Shu Takumi wanted to finish the story he began in the first game. The series in general is in decline like everything else Capcom makes though.

It's not an easy localization to make unless they were to include a history book on the Meiji period.

Maybe they're hoping around Ultra Street Fighter II performance, where folks are so hungry for Switch gaming that buy that sweet port action.

I doubt it, but... *shrug*.

They've definitely gone all-in on World though.

It's not an easy localization to make unless they were to include a history book on the Meiji period.

I'm pretty certain the issue with Great Ace Attorney's localization is less period history and more "The Sir Arthur Conan Doyle estate is mad litigious concerning Sherlock Holmes."

Maybe they're hoping around Ultra Street Fighter II performance, where folks are so hungry for Switch gaming that buy that sweet port action.

Honestly if they wanted USF2-like sales they should've localized it. Big potential wasted there.

Vena

Well that would require localization... not the opposite where you make dumb social media posts that piss your audience off.

Of course, in all their wisdom, they chose the later.

I'm a bit confuse here.

Are you guys comparing a remake/remaster of a MH spinoff with a new main MH entry???
No, they are comparing a remaster of a remix of a MH spin-off title to a brand new mainline entry. If they were going to be late with the Switch port they might as well have just remixed the content and added some new content and called it MHXXX and released it October/November this year.

Calm Mind

Man, imagine the chaos that this thread will be when Capcom release Monster Hunter World and :

A) - It will sell way more than the Monster Hunter XX for Switch

and the third world war if :

B) - Monster Hunter World sells less than the than Double Cross for Switch.

This is Japan only right?

I mean maybe it is? I'm not joking when I say you could be forgiven for thinking the Xbox is discontinued entirely (or in a similar state to the WiiU at least).

This is the entire XO section at my local Yodobashi (the PS3, PS4, and Vita each get double-sided aisles).
w30p2xn.jpg

That Xbox One aisle is actually bigger than the Vita aisles ever were in US Best Buys, or the same size as they were in 2012. Japanese stores dedicate an astounding amount of space to gaming products.

Xbro

Amazon seems to have some bundles releasing on the 12th.

There's a Splatoon Bundle with a Mario Kart pack in and a Splatoon Bundle with an Arms pack in.

That Xbox One aisle is actually bigger than the Vita aisles ever were in US Best Buys, or the same size as they were in 2012. Japanese stores dedicate an astounding amount of space to gaming products.

The vita aisle at my local Gamestop is just a line od used games next to the flyer holder.

Branduil

I've actually never seen a dedicated Xbone area in Japanese electronics stores. I assume they only exist in the larger dedicated stores.

Top Bottom