• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 30, 2017 (Jul 24 - Jul 30)

Smash, Mario and AC are S. FE should be A now.

Fire Emblem is definitely not in the same tier as Zelda.

But yeah, on the topic of Xenoblade, it fascinates me that Nintendo continues to push the series more than ever these last few years despite it never selling gangbusters. I think overall it is a smart decision though; at the very least to provide their platforms with high quality RPGs (which it seems as if the Switch won't have any shortage of).

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
firmly in C imo. I'm assuming you mean a S,A,B,C right?
S is like Pokemon and MKart
A is like Mario, Zelda, Smash, AC,
B is like FE, Kirby, DK

Xeno gets treated like B-A tier lately though.
Ill say that's about accurate tho I put Pokemon and Mk in a tier with Mario and zelda, but a S tier is more appropriate

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

But yeah, on the topic of Xenoblade, it fascinates me that Nintendo continues to push the series more than ever these last few years despite it never selling gangbusters. I think overall it is a smart decision though; at the very least to provide their platforms with high quality RPGs (which it seems as if the Switch won't have any shortage of).
I think Xenoblade sells above Nintendo expectations and almost gets there to 1 million. Like I said below
I didn't mean it in a mean way, I love their games and love monolithsoft, but their games are high profile but don't have the huge sales that their reputation proceeds, like metroid, but their sales always teeter the line between just reaching a million. But they also budget their games to seem like they cost more than they do but still make a profit for Nintendo
It seems the only thing keeping it from reaching fire emblem tier is the timing or the console their xenoblade games came out

Monolithsoft also has gotten a reputation as a high quality studio that makes great rpgs and so they kinda have a free check to do what they want as long as they have that reputation and turn a profit.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
If Switch goes on to sell 3DS numbers then ARMS could well do 5+ million sales Worldwide when all is said and done. Crazy numbers for what it is and what I guess was a tiny budget.

I guess it's long term success greatly depends on how well they support it. Much like Splatoon 2 I feel it needs many more game modes. The possibilities with both games are endless.

Mory Dunz

Monolithsoft also has gotten a reputation as a high quality studio that makes great rpgs and so they kinda have a free check to do what they want as long as they have that reputation and turn a profit.

Plus they seem to be big help with assets so you might as well give them the budget for their own projects to keep everyone happy.

but i'm not an insider so I dunno.

Eliseo

After how much FEH is making i would say FE belongs to the A list now.

Mory Dunz

After how much FEH is making i would say FE belongs to the A list now.

oh yeah I wasn't really thinking about mobile. My mind was mostly centered on ability to push HW and total SW sales of course.

But yeah with mobile, AC may jump into pokemon territory. I think it's gonna be huge.
Then again Pokemon has mobile too. Pokemon just needs it's own tier.

Reki

I didn't mean it in a mean way, I love their games and love monolithsoft, but their games are high profile but don't have the huge sales that their reputation proceeds, like metroid, but their sales always teeter the line between just reaching a million. But they also budget their games to seem like they cost more than they do but still make a profit for Nintendo
It seems the only thing keeping it from reaching fire emblem tier is the timing or the console their xenoblade games came out

Agreed. I just hope XC2 does good enough to maintain the series but not that good that they forget the "X" subseries. I need XCX-2.

Vena

Important note is the addition of the multiplayer. This was one thing I noted as a major deficit of the original.

Ōkami

I remember back last January, when we were discussing where a sequel would come out, most agreed it'd be NX/PS4, for once it was correct.

First game sold the most on Vita, I'd expect 2 to sell the most on Switch.

That's essentially 5 Dragon Quest games announced for the system during the first year now.

Also Itakagi Street is out on October 19th, for whatever reason they're selling that at 8000 yen on PS4.

It features mah boi Healix at least.

Kyoufu

but the theme of this year will be seeing how much of the PS4's line-up shows up on the Switch, and how much life is left in the 3DS and Vita

Dragon Quest Builders 2 tells me Vita is dead tbh. PS4/Switch should be a trend going forward for Japanese devs/pubs.

watershed

Banned
Dragon Quest Builders 2 tells me Vita is dead tbh. PS4/Switch should be a trend going forward for Japanese devs/pubs.

Definitely. It's kind of already happening, but I really look forward to the Switch getting all the Japanese 3rd party support that has kept the Vita busy all these years.

SE support on Switch has been great, but I'm really hoping they start porting some of these Final Fantasy remasters over at some point. X and XII on Switch would be so perfect. I'd love to play XII in particular in short bursts. Or heck, just port the three SNES games over and sell 'em as a collection.

MoonFrog

Well they should pick up the DS remakes and get V out again on Switch, really. We all know that's what SE should do wrt FF.

Mory Dunz

SE support on Switch has been great, but I'm really hoping they start porting some of these Final Fantasy remasters over at some point. X and XII on Switch would be so perfect. I'd love to play XII in particular in short bursts. Or heck, just port the three SNES games over and sell 'em as a collection.

I think Seiken could've done decently in USA (better than Japan at least, especially releasing in May), on the eshop. But I guess since there's no official translation for seiken 3, that might've made it more unlikely.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Like you said I bet we see 65-75K then back up for the holiday period.

I checked Switch supply for all Bic Camera stores and this week was 72% of last one. That's a much bigger sample than just the Yuurakuchou store.

Code:
+----+-----------------+-----+---------+---------+---------+
| ## |      Week       | BIC |   M-C   |   FAM   |   DEN   |
| 21 | May 22 - May 28 |  93 |  27.146 |  27.440 |  24.612 |
| 22 | May 29 - Jun 04 |  84 |  23.524 |  25.274 |  24.735 |
| 23 | Jun 05 - Jun 11 |  83 |  27.291 |  28.293 |  29.020 |
| 24 | Jun 12 - Jun 18 |  99 |  37.709 |  49.440 |  43.850 |
| 25 | Jun 19 - Jun 25 |  59 |  22.361 |  26.964 |  22.495 |
| 26 | Jun 26 - Jul 02 |  54 |  25.805 |  24.736 |  25.442 |
| 27 | Jul 03 - Jul 09 | 120 |  26.256 |  36.143 |  32.769 |
| 28 | Jul 10 - Jul 16 |  63 |  31.906 |  25.154 |  24.462 |
| 29 | Jul 17 - Jul 23 | 138+|  98.999 | 102.581 |  93.611 |+ preordered Splatoon 2 bundles
| 30 | Jul 24 - Jul 30 | 500 |  89.314 | 105.697 |  90.522 |
| 31 | Jul 31 - Aug 06 | 300 |         |         |         |

Code:
+-------------+------+------+
| Bic Camera  | Wk30 | Wk31 |
| Ikebukuro   |  500 |  300 |
| Yuurakuchou |  500 |  300 |
| Shinjyuku   |  250 |  150 |
| Akiba       |  200 |  200 |
| Kawasaki    |  500 |  300 |
| Nagoya      |  100 |  200 |
| Namba       |  200 |  200 |
| Sapporo     |  200 |  200 |
| Tachikawa   |  100 |  200 |
| Shibuya     |  100 |      |
| Hachijoji   |  100 |      |
| Yokohama    |  100 |      |
| All         | 2850 | 2050 |

MoonFrog

DQB2 is a good get for Switch. Didn't get the first game but loved the demo.
Hopefully a sign of future support too

I think it is a sign, with heroes, X, and XI that the future of DQ is solidly PS4/Switch.

DQ is a more Japan-centric, hence more portable and Nintendo-centric franchise so this makes a lot of sense but doesn't necessarily say too much about other games.

That said, it is also part of a picture of pretty good SE support for the system.

I wonder if they'll port the old DQ to Switch again, from DS/3DS. Or if we'll get virtual console access to 1-6 or something. Would be nice to be able to say of Switch that all DQ are available on it.

Fisico

DQB2, interesting.
What did the first one end up doing combined? like 800k?

Waiting for MC 2016 white book :p

370-380k FW retail with all SKU, probably more than 250k afterwards, and more than 100k digital.
Guess that should put it near 800k LTD with half of that from the Vita SKU

How many times are people going to bury the Vita? If you just take a look at weekly sales, it has been dead for a long time yet like a Zombie, new games are still getting announced for it. Although companies like SE seem to have moved on from Vita judging from Lost Spehere and Dragon Quest Builders 2.

No I don't want anymore SNES games. I'm sick and tired of the same FF games. I want the PlayStation FF games on the Switch.

Chauzu

How many times are people going to bury the Vita? If you just take a look at weekly sales, it has been dead for a long time yet like a Zombie, new games are still getting announced for it. Although companies like SE seem to have moved on from Vita judging from Lost Spehere and Dragon Quest Builders 2.

Usually I'd agree, but the sequel of the best selling Vita game of 2016 not coming to Vita is as black and white as it gets.

Kanann

Necrophilia is a forbidden fetish but someone just still want to be goof around with Vita.

Like myself now playing DQXI on mine.

btw, Vita hardware certainly can't handle the multiplayer, that why they ditch it.

KtSlime

Well, I want the PS2 games as well, which is why I mentioned them at the start of my post.

Switch is already going to get the 2 best RPG series, I wouldn't turn away FF coming to the Switch, but I don't expect it since FF is SE's premier western RPG, it will probably stay exclusive to Sony.

Switch is already going to get the 2 best RPG series, I wouldn't turn away FF coming to the Switch, but I don't expect it since FF is SE's premier western RPG, it will probably stay exclusive to Sony and Microsoft.

FTFY. :p

Edit: Unless you're just referring to the remasters of course.

MoonFrog

I sort of wish they would Switch/PS4 FFXVI, in the sense that they have obviously long been struggling to put out the scope of game they want to make at the production levels they hope to achieve. FFXVI could stand to gain (in quality) from scaling back those production values a bit imo, as I think it is the scope and characters that were really magical in a lot of the older games.

FF has just never quite found itself since PSX. They managed to do smaller scope well in FFX imo, but something like XV is just too big to make well at those production values and comes out half-baked with the thread tying the major points together largely just missing.

But yeah, idt that would help FF sell better, except maybe in Japan by virtue of being also on Switch and might also hurt its mainstream appeal in the west. So perhaps a dumb point for a sales thread :p.

I also don't think they'll go that way. XVI will try and press the envelope wrt production values again.

I sort of wish they would Switch/PS4 FFXVI, in the sense that they have obviously long been struggling to put out the scope of game they want to make at the production levels they hope to achieve. FFXVI could stand to gain (in quality) from scaling back those production values a bit imo, as I think it is the scope and characters that were really magical in a lot of the older games.

FF has just never quite found itself since PSX. They managed to do smaller scope well in FFX imo, but something like XV is just too big to make well at those production values and comes out half-baked with the thread tying the major points together largely just missing.

But yeah, idt that would help FF sell better, except maybe in Japan by virtue of being also on Switch and might also hurt its mainstream appeal in the west. So perhaps a dumb point for a sales thread :p.

I also don't think they'll go that way. XVI will try and press the envelope wrt production values again.
There is next to zero chance they will scale back production. FF is supposed to be the cutting edge next generation game always and XVI will be no exception.

Just announced on the Dragon Quest Matsuri Stream.
17HKbYT.png

Shipped+Download over 3 millions units.

Top Bottom