• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 31, 2013 (Jul 29 - Aug 04)

Kid Ying

Nintendo didn't even started to market the title yet. You guys shouldn't put too much thought about it. The same with almost every Wii u title, with the exception of Zelda. You can follow interest on amazon, but it's still soon for W101. Let's see after the direct and Nintendo ads if it will gather more attention. I don't think we should overthink that. Even Lego managed a nice spot when it was released.

Also, i don't know how was the first day sellthrough for Yakuza, but at the japanese eshop it followed the pattern of true bombas like Sniper Elite, Injustice and other ones. Was released and didn't even made the top 20 downloads for Wiiu (and it's not a question of price either, since Lego, DQ10 and Pikmin are very high and Mario is actually above it at the rankings).

I don't know if we can compare it to the streets, but it looks like even at the wiiu enthusiasts that this title is not wanted. Crazy,

What?
Where did you get that notion?

FF X/X-2 HD (PS3/Vita)
God Eater 2 (Vita/PSP)
FF: A Realm Reborn (PS3)
FF: Lightning Returns (PS3)
JoJo All Stars (PS3)
J Victory (PS3/Vita)
GTA V (PS3)

I am probably missing something, plus we have TGS.
Completely forgot about the FF games and GE2 because I'm dumb. Is JJASB supposed to be considered big? Most fighting games don't do that well; P4U didn't break 200k.

Completely forgot about the FF games and GE2 because I'm dumb. Is JJASB supposed to be considered big? Most fighting games don't do that well; P4U didn't break 200k.

Yes, JoJo will be big also I wouldn't call it exactly a "fighting game".

More like action game set up as a fighting game, silimar to Naruto and Tenkaichi games.

What?

FF X/X-2 HD (PS3/Vita)
God Eater 2 (Vita/PSP)
JoJo All Stars (PS3)
J Victory (PS3/Vita)
GTA V (PS3)

Of that list the ones that will pass 500k are God Eater maybe, Lightning, and maybe Jojo. FFX/X-2 is stiill just an HD collection and it's pretty optimistic to assume 500k

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Also, i don't know how was the first day sellthrough for Yakuza, but at the japanese eshop it followed the pattern of true bombas like Sniper Elite, Injustice and other ones. Was released and didn't even made the top 20 downloads for Wiiu (and it's not a question of price either, since Lego, DQ10 and Pikmin are very high and Mario is actually above it at the rankings).

I don't know if we can compare it to the streets, but it looks like even at the wiiu enthusiasts that this title is not wanted. Crazy,

Yakuza will sell 20% of a 10k shipment first week.

Of that list the ones that will pass 500k are God Eater maybe, Lightning, and maybe Jojo. FFX/X-2 is stiill just an HD collection and it's pretty optimistic to assume 500k

Yeah. KH did 200k+ so I can see FFX HD going to 300-400k max over both SKU's.
J victory might do well too.

What?

FF X/X-2 HD (PS3/Vita)
God Eater 2 (Vita/PSP)
JoJo All Stars (PS3)
J Victory (PS3/Vita)
GTA V (PS3)

Oh just a little title called Gran Turismo 6.

Busaiku

I don't see Jojo's Bizarre Adventure All Star Battle doing huge numbers (400k-500k+).
No licensed fighter's done that well besides Dragon Ball Z, and that's way bigger a franchise.

EDarkness

No offense to them or anything, but why would anyone want that? It's been released already on the PS3. Anyone who's wanted to play it probably has already. I didn't understand why they were doing the port in the first place. Unless they were adding something extremely awesome to it...which they weren't. Not only that, but no real chance of getting any future games, either. Hell, the head guy pretty much came out and said as much not too long after the announcement. So who was this game made for in the first place?

I don't see Jojo's Bizarre Adventure All Star Battle doing huge numbers (400k-500k+).
No licensed fighter's done that well besides Dragon Ball Z, and that's way bigger a franchise.

Yeah i was giving it the benefit of the doubt and assuming the rumored 300k first shipment would actually sell out. People keep hyping it up as some big game, but i have no idea what the popularity of that ip is.

Bruno MB

My expectations for Yakuza 1 & 2 HD were really, really low, yet it managed to do even worse than I thought. It had an atrocious first day sell-through rate (below 10%). I want to think that retailers finally learned the lesson when it comes to Wii U software sales, especially for third-party ones, so its shipment must be small which makes this even a bigger bomb. I guess that being the main event of that SEGA direct wasn't enough to garner interest among Wii U users lol

Yeah, I was like "what the hell?" when I saw that.

That's not a crazy prediction at all. I don't know if it will reach that high level of sales, but I won't be surprised if it gets really close to that mark (~350k).

P.S. king zell, I miss your weekly posts with pictures of new releases.

NeonZ

It's almost like Japan is repulsed by this title, which I don't completely understand (art direction problem is not valid as I see more sentai influence than western).

Is Sentai even actually popular outside of selling toys though? Ratings and box office are generally pretty low. The face masks of the W101 heroes are completely unsentai-ish anyway. The only Sentai-ish thing about their designs is the color coordination of each one.

Also, in spite of the high budget of W101, you still get many people thinking that it's low budget (due to the isometric view and art style?). The game just seems to have a bunch of image problems.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
first day sellthrough

[3DS] One Piece: Romance Dawn - Bouken no Yoake - 30% (100k initial shipment)
[3DS] Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-Kun SP: Rantou Kyousoukyoku - 30%
[3DS] Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger: Game de Kaburincho!! < 10%
[WIU] Yakuza 1 & 2 HD for Wii U < 10%

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
first day sellthrough

One Piece already at 30k sounds not bad for a port.
Oh God Yakuza 1&2 :lol :lol

first day sellthrough

tumblr_mmy8pzW6ek1rsl35ao1_r1_500.gif

first day sellthrough

Haha... looks like your 10K LTD prediction for Yakuza was spot on.

There goes any hope of any un-commissioned Japanese Wii U third-party support in 2013.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
21./00. [3DS] Doki Doki! PreCure Narikiri Life! <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.08.01} (¥4.980)
22./19. [PSP] Dangan-Ronpa (PSP the Best) # <ADV> (Spike) {2011.11.23} (¥2.940)
23./17. [PSV] Toukiden # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2013.06.27} (¥6.090)
24./00. [PS3] Metro: Last Light <ACT> (Spike Chunsoft) {2013.08.01} (¥8.190)
25./20. [PSP] Toukiden <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2013.06.27} (¥5.040)
26./23. [PS3] The Last of Us <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2013.06.20} (¥5.980)
27./21. [WIU] New Super Luigi U <ACT> (Nintendo) {2013.07.13} (¥3.885)
28./24. [WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii: Super Deluxe Edition # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.11.29} (¥5.040)
29./27. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.800)
30./33. [WII] New Play Control! Pikmin 2 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2009.03.12} (¥3.800)
31./29. [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2012.07.28} (¥4.800)
32./26. [3DS] Kuma-Tomo <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.06.20} (¥4.980)
33./31. [NDS] Pokemon Black 2 / White 2 <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2012.06.23} (¥4.800)
34./34. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission <TBL> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.02.28} (¥5.800)
35./38. [3DS] Taiko no Tatsujin: Chibi Dragon to Fushigi na Orb <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.07.12} (¥5.040)
36./00. [360] Killer Is Dead <ACT> (Kadokawa Games) {2013.08.01} (¥7.980)
37./39. [PSP] Super Dangan-Ronpa 2: Sayonara Zetsubou Gakuen # <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft) {2012.07.26} (¥6.279)
38./35. [WIU] New Super Mario Bros. U <ACT> (Nintendo) {2012.12.08} (¥5.985)
39./41. [3DS] Toriko: Gourmet Battle! <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.07.04} (¥5.980)
40./49. [PSP] God Eater: Burst (PSP the Best Reprint) <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.06.06} (¥1.800)
41./37. [3DS] Digimon World Re:Digitize Decode <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.06.27} (¥5.480)
42./42. [3DS] Tousouchuu: Shijou Saikyou no Hunter-Tachi Kara Nigekire! <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.07.05} (¥5.040)
43./40. [3DS] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Best Price!) <ACT> (Capcom) {2012.11.15} (¥3.800)
44./44. [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl <FTG> (Nintendo) {2008.01.31} (¥6.800)
45./15. [PSP] Toki no Kizuna: Hanayui Tsuzuri <ADV> (Idea Factory) {2013.07.25} (¥6.090)
46./32. [PS3] Dead Island: Riptide <ADV> (Spike Chunsoft) {2013.07.11} (¥7.329)
47./48. [3DS] Aikatsu! Cinderella Lesson <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.11.15} (¥5.040)
48./43. [WIU] Nintendo Land # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.12.08} (¥4.935)
49./00. [360] Metro: Last Light <ACT> (Spike Chunsoft) {2013.08.01} (¥8.190)
50./00. [3DS] Super Mario 3D Land # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2011.11.03} (¥4.800)

Top 50

3DS - 23
PS3 - 7
PSP - 6
WIU - 5
PSV - 3
WII - 3
360 - 2
NDS - 1

SOFTWARE
Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |
|  ALL  |    657.000 |    957.000 |  1.261.368 | 24.894.000 | 28.742.000 |

first day sellthrough

SEGA%20Direct_IwataNagoshi%20Rings.png

Nagoshi's face sums it up.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Are the prices I'm seeing on Amazon for Jikkyou Powerful Pro 2013 right?
PS3 and Vita SKU are 3,980, and PSP is 2,980. No discounted prices. They're...very low.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Thats a pretty clear and definitive message to japanese third parties.

Thats a pretty clear and definitive message to japanese third parties.

Yep... Yakuza 1&2 was supposed to be Iwata's "proof" that Japanese third-party games can sell on the Wii U.

This was their only real chance to make any kind of an impact...as the Wii U's third-party Japanese release slate (games that aren't the result of some kind of contract with Nintendo) is essentially dead at the moment.

Zero reason to bring 3rd party games to the WiiU.It doesn't even matter what would you bring, everything would bomb.

Why should they bother porting or god hope, developing games, when it debuts at 1-2k numbers.

Not even the worst, budget dungeon crawlers on portables suffer such fate.

Glass Rebel

first day sellthrough

One Piece already at 30k sounds not bad for a port.
Oh God Yakuza 1&2 :lol :lol

OP day1 is looking similar to Digimon week1, which was apparently a better game and had significant enhancements.

No, seriously, did anyone actually expect Yakuza to do shit?

well, it is doing shit.

Nibel

Yep... Yakuza 1&2 was supposed to be Iwata's "proof" that Japanese third-party games can sell on the Wii U.

A old HD remake of PS2 games that didn't do well on the PS3 either was supposded to be Iwata's "proof" that Japanese third-party games can sell on the Wii U?

Weird interpretation - I always saw it as a experiment to test waters with adult-orientated content

Raist

Banned
Dat Yakuza bomba. Wasn't expecting anything "big" (and by big I mean 30k or something) but less than 10k? Is it planned to come out in other regions? Because it moght turn out to be far from even breaking even.

EDarkness

That's what I'm wondering. How can anyone think that the game was gonna do anything? It was a bone thrown to the Wii U that didn't mean anything at all. No one should be surprised...no one.

Zero reason to bring 3rd party games to the WiiU.It doesn't even matter what would you bring, everything would bomb.

Why should they bother porting or god hope, developing games, when it debuts at 1-2k numbers.

Not even the worst, budget dungeon crawlers on portables suffer such fate.

Their own fault really. None of them have even really bothered and so players aren't bothering, either.

plank

People sure do love to make something out of nothing here. I mean how many ports to different systems did the Yakuza series been through?

Madouu

Of all the third party japanese games, choosing the HD remake of a Yakuza game that hasn't even performed well on the PS3 to be the proof that they can sell on the Wii U seems pretty stupid to me. Was it really the case or was it just part of the deal with Sega to fill up the schedule of a titles starved platform.

To me it seems that it is definitely the latter, Nintendo are desperate for any title they can put on the platform that aren't theirs, especially in Japan.

A old HD remake of PS2 games that didn't do well on the PS3 either was supposded to be Iwata's "proof" that Japanese third-party games can sell on the Wii U?

Weird interpretation - I always saw it as a experiment to test waters with adult-orientated content

Well that and the other non-Mario games in Nintendo's deal with Sega.

If you think it's silly for Nintendo to have these kind of expectations, remember that it's Nintendo we're talking about. The same Nintendo that thought the "Wii U," in its current design, was the best possible successor to its old console.

It's all about name-dropping----Wii U has Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, and Yakuza!!!---than actually looking at the substance behind the titles.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
People sure do love to make something out of nothing here. I mean how many ports to different systems did the Yakuza series been through?

This would be the first to a "new install base" with the rest of the series starting from PS2 then to PS3 with spin-offs on PSP.

This is a tacit demonstration the WiiU is being picked up seemingly only by the ultra "own all the consoles" hardcore that already have PS3's for such titles. Not good news for Japan ever having two concurrent home console players relevant to third parties.

Playstation 2
Playstation 3
Playstation Portable

WiiU (port of Yakuza 1 and 2, first time ever leaving Sony ecosystem)

Wow, can't grasp all those platforms.

Multiplatform it is, then!

Yeah Yakuza won't leave PlayStation, but I guess now the Wii U has a chance to get the next game.

I wonder... if future Yakuza games will be for the WiiU?

I would guess this is laying the groundwork for a new Yakuza to be on Wii U as well as PS4.

Like 20-30k probably, lol.

Nintendo getting all the big Japanese IPs on their systems, on paper it is a good move.

Many people in the announcement thread thought that it would pave way for Yakuza to be a multiplatform. One person even said it would move 20-30k WiiU's lol.

I'm sure if it did well that might actually be true

Madouu

Well that and the other non-Mario games in Nintendo's deal with Sega.

If you think it's silly for Nintendo to have these kind of expectations, remember that it's Nintendo we're talking about. The same Nintendo that thought the "Wii U," in its current design, is the best possible successor to its old console.

It's all about name-dropping----Wii U has Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, and Yakuza!!!---than actually looking at the substance behind the titles.

Sonic Lost World should perform pretty well in western territories, in Japan I'm not too sure about that.

What you're saying basically is that the Wii U is starved for content and Nintendo is willing to take anything without looking too much into the substance of those titles, they're not really in a position to choose right now.

Nobody in their right mind, even the Nintendo that designed the Wii U, would expect the release of a HD Yakuza game that performed badly on the PS3 to perform well on a platform with a tiny userbase and no fans of the series. Like I said, at this point they're just willing to accept anything. Beggars can't be choosers.

If it misses the Famitsu 30 there's always Dengeki top 50.

Regarding questions about expectations. No. No one expected it to do well. 20% of what's probably a 10K shipment is exceeding expectations of terrible.
Is there a single game that somehow managed to exceed expectations?
As noted above. They exceed expectations, just not in a good way.
MonHun? Sonic Racing?
I don't think the latter was released in Japan?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
It's becoming tiring finding every time excuses every time a Wii U game undreperforms/bombs.

Is there a single game that somehow managed to exceed expectations? All I see is tiny initial shipments and even then the never sell out.

Top Bottom