• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 31, 2014 (Jul 28 - Aug 03)

Nibel

It's kind of pathetic how even "beast mode" Wii U is still selling less than the PS3 was 7 years after launch.

Because the Japanese video game market is the same as 7 years ago and didn't evolve.

The Wii U is by far not Nintendo's strongest product, but the current market situation isn't helping anyone either.

DaBoss

Well next chart is going to be interesting with Hyrule Warriors being released. I hope it does really well.

Nintendo has been pushing it pretty hard.
Tecmo is in charge of advertising for the game in Japan.

It seems like it will do terribly.

Phediuk

Every system us selling less today than it would have 7 years ago, it's a different market - don't quite get your point. 3DS,Vita,WiiU,PS4 and Xbox One will all sell less than their predecessors in Japan.

No, I mean PS3 was still consistently selling over 10,000 units a week in 2013 even without any heavy hitters. Meanwhile the Wii U can't even manage that.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Ah, after having looked up sell-through on the last charts, Yoshi now is at 90% sell through of the initial shipment, so second shipment is either already there, or at least guaranteed to happen :).

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Then again, the Famitsu tracker probably shows a different story.

Week 30

03./05. [WIU] Mario Kart 8 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2014.05.29} (¥6.156) - 17.633 / 573.771 <80-100%>

Week 31

03./05. [WIU] Mario Kart 8 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2014.05.29} (¥6.156) - 20.011 / 593.782

Code:
|System | This Week | Last Week |
|  WIU  |     8.722 |      8.623|

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Oh well that makes more sense :)
But yeah the PS3 us still the top go system that gets most of not all home console support from 3rd parties, while the WiiU.... well you know we are in August and MK8 had been to only significant release with to a lesser instant Donkey Kong Country.

phanphare

Banned
he is just waiting for the spiny shell to pass by

tumblr_n6pr5edoLN1rt2c4zo1_400.gif

this gif is just so good

I can watch it repeat over and over and laugh at Newman's expression every time

kudos to whoever made that!

Darius

Banned
PS4 is really a total trainwreck in Japan right now, beeing outsold by a factor of two by WiiU is very telling. Also PSV again with a notable decline. It´s basically doing as bad as last year and without a new revision it will have major problems in keeping up pace compared to last years end of year sales and who knows maybe it could even fall behind.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
We can give justifications for all these numbers. Doesn't stop people rightfully laughing at the PS4 numbers.

That's because PS4 numbers are awful because of those justifications (they don't excuse it at all), 3DS is still a significant bit below it's normal healthy baseline but is still healthy. Which is more than can be said for everything else.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
23./23. [3DS] Kirby Fighters Z _Download Card_ <FTG> (Nintendo) {2014.07.23} (¥810) - 2.815 / 5.565 <80-100%> (+2%)

Legs? For this too?

zeromcd73

Here's the release schedule:

08/13 Japan Hohokum
08/21 Japan Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition
Nikoli no Puzzle 4: Nurikabe
The Last of Us Remastered
08/28 Japan Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark
09/04 Japan Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare
Sengoku Musou 4
The Amazing Spider-Man 2
09/11 Japan Destiny
09/18 Japan Omega Quintet
09/25 Japan Shin Sangoku Musou 7 Empires
10/02 Japan Metro Redux
10/09 Japan Driveclub
FIFA 15
10/23 Japan Psycho Break
10/30 Japan Onechanbara Z2: Chaos
11/06 Japan The LEGO Movie Videogame
11/13 Japan Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Subtitled Edition)
11/20 Japan Assassin's Creed Unity
Dragon Age: Inquisition
12/04 Japan Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN-

Don;t know why you are ignoring Western games when a lot of those will likely outsell that compile heart game.

Being generous and assuming Quintet sells 30k, the only Western games that could sell over that on the list would be COD, AssCreed, Destiny and TLOU which is not exactly great, but certainly better than nothing.

03./03. [WIU] Mario Kart 8 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2014.05.29} (¥6.156) - 18.067 / 578.554 (+0%)

Let's see how it holds from now on, the free trial promotion ended on July 31.

What are the comg numbers for Hyrule Warriors. I know they don't mean that much but they usually predict a big flop for a game like that.
33pt (not final)

Tizoc

Argh, so close!

And looks the 3DS is doing just fine.

On the one hand I share your thoughts on it not reaching actual 2 Mil.
On the other, I don't see what difference it would've made had it reached 2 mil. this week or the next.

finngamer

Edit: I would like to see a comparison MK8 vs. Pikmin 3 now.

Here's the Wii U sales after the first 10 weeks of the games' release (Media Create).

Pikmin 3 | MK8
22.199 | 19.312
14.280 | 13.766
11.373 | 12.249
10.038 | 10.715
9.950 | 10.653
12.047 | 9.961
7.030 | 8.658
6.741 | 8.209
5.702 | 9.429
5.003 | 9.646

TOTAL
104.363 | 112.598

The bumb in Pikmin 3 week 6 is Obon festival. Zelda Musou is coming out during Obon week this year, so hopefully there's going to be a decent spike then.

Dragon

Banned
That's because PS4 numbers are awful because of those justifications (they don't excuse it at all), 3DS is still a significant bit below it's normal healthy baseline but is still healthy. Which is more than can be said for everything else.

Nope. Sorry. Doesn't work that way. The PS4 is awful. The 3DS hardware is down majorly year over year. The PS4 has no real Japanese exclusives, the 3DS' hardware issue according to the people here is no new models. Either way, neither one is doing well.

8~9 more weeks until PS4 falls behind Dreamcast.

This is like comparing movies box office totals without inflation.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Nope. Sorry. Doesn't work that way. The PS4 is awful. The 3DS hardware is down majorly year over year. The PS4 has no real Japanese exclusives, the 3DS' hardware issue according to the people here is no new models. Either way, neither one is doing well.

Oh course it does, we're talking about maths and statistics here, yes the raw numbers matter

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Here's the Wii U sales after the first 10 weeks of the games' release (Media Create).

Pikmin 3 | MK8
22.199 | 19.312
14.280 | 13.766
11.373 | 12.249
10.038 | 10.715
9.950 | 10.653
12.047 | 9.961
7.030 | 8.658
6.741 | 8.209
5.702 | 9.429
5.003 | 9.646

TOTAL
104.363 | 112.598

The bumb in Pikmin 3 week 6 is Obon festival. Zelda Musou is coming out during Obon week this year, so hopefully there's going to be a decent spike then.

Thanks! This week is going to be also interesting to see if there is another increase or it will hold and this is the new base. Next week will be also influenced by Hyrule Warriors. I don't have big expectations from Hyrule Warriors sales but it should bring some new players on Wii U at list in Japan I think (where Dinasty Warriors is bigger than Zelda).

Bulzeeb

It's kind of pathetic how even "beast mode" Wii U is still selling less than the PS3 was 7 years after launch.

I wouldn't call that beast mode yet, only Mario kart 8 has been released so far. Wait for at least 3 of their exclusives games are out

Exile20

Pikmin 3 | MK8
22.199 | 19.312
14.280 | 13.766
11.373 | 12.249
10.038 | 10.715
9.950 | 10.653
12.047 | 9.961
7.030 | 8.658
6.741 | 8.209
5.702 | 9.429
5.003 | 9.646

TOTAL
104.363 | 112.598

I hope you are right.

Fourth week comparison:

01./01. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 # <ACT> (Capcom) {2013.09.14} (¥5.990) - 164.593 / 2.706.707 <80-100%> (-30%)

01./01. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Ganso / Honke <RPG> (Level 5) {2014.07.10} (¥4.937) - 156.589 / 1.894.593 <80-100%> (-21%)

01./01. [3DS] Pokemon X / Y # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2013.10.12} (¥4.800) - 137.720 / 3.090.779 <80-100%> (-48%)

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
This is like comparing movies box office totals without inflation.

No, that's like comparing numbers of sold tickets after a given amount for two movies without taking into account the time of release. However, PS4 would definitely compare favourably to Dreamast if we compared the money spend on the hardware as you suggested.

random25

Taiko is nearing sold out its shipment as well. Truly a slow burner :)

Funny how the first Yokai Watch is currently outselling most of the games this week even after YW2 breakout.

Dragon

Banned
Oh course it does, we're talking about maths and statistics here, yes the raw numbers matter

No we're not. I responded to someone giving justifications for the numbers. You say one justification was okay and one wasn't. It doesn't have a lot to do with the numbers really, just agreeing with the justifications behind them.

No, that's like comparing numbers of sold tickets after a given amount for two movies without taking into account the time of release. However, PS4 would definitely compare favourably to Dreamast if we compared the money spend on the hardware as you suggested.

Yeah your analogy is better than mine :).

ZeroXZee

Here's the release schedule:

Don;t know why you are ignoring Western games when a lot of those will likely outsell that compile heart game.

The point is: these games will drive more HW sales, or they will sell to the userbase that already exists?
I bet on the second case.

L~A

On the one hand I share your thoughts on it not reaching actual 2 Mil.
On the other, I don't see what difference it would've made had it reached 2 mil. this week or the next.

Nothing, would just have been really cool!

Principate

Saint Titanfall
No we're not. I responded to someone giving justifications for the numbers. You say one justification was okay and one wasn't. It doesn't have a lot to do with the numbers really, just agreeing with the justifications behind them.

Justifications for numbers are directly linked to the raw numbers themselves... (this is obvious). If the numbers are terrible are they terrible no amount of justification can really be used as excuses why. If the numbers are mediocre, they still can't really be excused but may help to explain the situation.

The bottom line is relative success within the market,. 5k a week is an abject failure, around 40k is not (it's not great but it's not completely awful).

You can't simply ignore these facts in comparisons regardless how much anyone would like to.

Dragon

Banned
Justifications for numbers are directly linked to the raw numbers themselves... (this is obvious). If the numbers are terrible are they terrible no amount of justification can really be used as excuses why. If the numbers are mediocre, they still can't really be excused but may help to explain the situation.

The bottom line is relative success within the market,. 5k a week is an abject failure, around 40k is not (it's not great but it's not completely awful).

You can't simply ignore these facts in comparisons regardless how much anyone would like to.

You should really read the original post I responded to. Or continue whatever you're doing here.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
You should really read the original post I responded to. Or continue whatever you're doing here.

I did you said the excuses for 3DS doesn't explain things as the excuses for the PS4 is doing awful doesn't.

Ignoring the fact the PS4 sales are approaching levels of the worst selling mainstream consoles in Japan, whereas the 3DS is the opposite.

The issue with the listed western games are the fact that a large majority of them are also coming out on the PS3.

Right, but PS4 SKUs of these multiplat Western games have been doing pretty well against their PS3 counterparts. Of course PS4 doesn't have the user base to fare well against the big sellers such as COD.

The point is: these games will drive more HW sales, or they will sell to the userbase that already exists?
I bet on the second case.

The discussion was about preventing PS4's baseline form declining. I don't see any of those western games cause notable bumps but I think if were talking about preventing decline some of those games will be more effective then a compile heart game.

Being generous and assuming Quintet sells 30k, the only Western games that could sell over that on the list would be COD, AssCreed, Destiny and TLOU which is not exactly great, but certainly better than nothing.

30k was 10k more than what I was expecting at best. We will see.

Those are solid holds for the 3DS & WiiU with no new releases. Baselines reached?

PS4 too. Maybe it's not going to tumble into WiiU/Vita territory at worst.

Bit disappointed with the Vita drop, but it seems to be a very tempramental system in terms of sales. Weeks of game releases see increases/holds; weeks of no releases see tumbling sales.

Nice holds for Taiko no Tatsujin and Mario Kart too. Good for them.

I'm kinda glad there weren't too many new releases this week so we could at least see the second week sales of Corpse Party & Tokyo New World Record. They're like mirrors in terms of sales, lol.

Terrible for Sonipro though.

Usobuko

Banned
Is that's usually what the numbers for the 3 new 3ds games or did they get swallow by the YW hype?

All these Japanese gamers waiting to play some Kinect Sports in their appartments

No, they are waiting for TV shows or "exclusive interactive experiences" tailored for NA audience.

I thought every week in summer would have at least one decent release, but seems like I was mistaken.

On weeks like that, with terrible hardware numbers all around, it is annoying to see beggars laughing at each other because they think the others' misery is worse than their own.

Top Bottom