• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 31, 2014 (Jul 28 - Aug 03)

Sakura

Nice hold for MK8 and Wii U. New baseline for Wii U in Japan is pretty good, considering the sales in the west.
Well next chart is going to be interesting with Hyrule Warriors being released. I hope it does really well.

Nintendo has been pushing it pretty hard.
Hyrule Warriors will not be in next week's chart.

Darius

Banned
I thought every week in summer would have at least one decent release, but seems like I was mistaken.

On weeks like that, with terrible hardware numbers all around, it is annoying to see beggars laughing at each other because they think the others' misery is worse than their own.

All around? 3DS is actually doing quite well, similar in performance to what PS2 sold in its 4th year. Let´s not belittle everything just to excuse other systems that are doing horribly.

It´s also hilarious how someone can lump together a system selling 5k units with one selling 40k by saying "Either way, neither one is doing well."

Nope. Sorry. Doesn't work that way. The PS4 is awful. The 3DS hardware is down majorly year over year. The PS4 has no real Japanese exclusives, the 3DS' hardware issue according to the people here is no new models. Either way, neither one is doing well.

Hellraider

I will never understand why the Fate and the Sonipro games are on the 3DS. They must have been high when they made the decision.

At least it's always nice to see imageepoch bombing hard.

It's like watching a tortoise race. Happy to see Child of Light up there again though. Does anyone know if Ubisoft are planning a 3DS release? Complaints against Rayman Origins withstanding, it would seem like an omission.

Foshy

It's like watching a tortoise race. Happy to see Child of Light up there again though. Does anyone know if Ubisoft are planning a 3DS release? Complaints against Rayman Origins withstanding, it would seem like an omission.
Don't think they're doing one. The art would be very gimped on the 240p screen.

it's the little things
everythings_coming_up_milhouse-52415.gif

Actually, that kind of sums up the thread in general.

RalchAC

I'd like to see how Child of Light performs for the full month + digital downloads.

Being generous and assuming Quintet sells 30k, the only Western games that could sell over that on the list would be COD, AssCreed, Destiny and TLOU which is not exactly great, but certainly better than nothing.

Isn't Battlefield: Hardline launching this year in Japan? BF4 sold quite well on PS4 iirc.

33pt (not final)

Nintendo WiiU games usually get most preorders in the last few days. So anything could happen but...

- It's a Zelda game in Japan
- It's a musou game on a Nintendo console
- It's a game on the Wii U

Things don't look that well. Hopefully it'd be able to at least get to 100k LTD. They probably expect to get more sales from the West.

Don't think they're doing one. The art would be very gimped on the 240p screen.

Doesn't the UbiArt engine run pretty bad on the 3DS?

As an early adopter it's probably just fundamentally difficult for me to wrap my head around this, but how is the PS3 still selling so well relative to the home console market in Japan? It's got seven years' worth of games, yes, but on the flipside, who doesn't own a PS3 at this point, that the Wii U YTD is still below the PS3's? And what are the people buying PS3s last week buying them for? Specific games coming out soonish/now? Or just "well I was going to play that awesome game three years ago but never bothered until I decided to buy today on a whim"?

I ask because everyone's saying the Japanese home console market is mostly dead, but you'd think if people really weren't interested in home consoles anymore, the PS3 would be doing much, much worse. I don't dispute that the market actually is mostly dead, really (no one would consider less than 40k a month "good"), just curious as to what kind of outlier the PS3 represents.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Here's the Wii U sales after the first 10 weeks of the games' release (Media Create).

Pikmin 3 | MK8
22.199 | 19.312
14.280 | 13.766
11.373 | 12.249
10.038 | 10.715
9.950 | 10.653
12.047 | 9.961
7.030 | 8.658
6.741 | 8.209
5.702 | 9.429
5.003 | 9.646

TOTAL
104.363 | 112.598

The bumb in Pikmin 3 week 6 is Obon festival. Zelda Musou is coming out during Obon week this year, so hopefully there's going to be a decent spike then.

MK8 has helped and will keep helping Wii U much more than Pikmin 3. We had enough joke posts last weeks trying to prove the opposite, time to let this comparison go away. MK8 gave a weak hw bump at its launch but its performance was the expected after that.

MilesTeg

Banned
As an early adopter it's probably just fundamentally difficult for me to wrap my head around this, but how is the PS3 still selling so well relative to the home console market in Japan? It's got seven years' worth of games, yes, but on the flipside, who doesn't own a PS3 at this point, that the Wii U YTD is still below the PS3's? And what are the people buying PS3s last week buying them for? Specific games coming out soonish/now? Or just "well I was going to play that awesome game three years ago but never bothered until I decided to buy today on a whim"?

I ask because everyone's saying the Japanese home console market is mostly dead, but you'd think if people really weren't interested in home consoles anymore, the PS3 would be doing much, much worse. I don't dispute the overall conclusion, really, just curious as to what kind of outlier the PS3 represents.

It's all relative to the decline in sales in Japan. The PS3 numbers are not good. They just look better when stacked up against new consoles (Wii U and PS4) since those console's numbers are so damn bad.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Nice hold for MK8 and Wii U. New baseline for Wii U in Japan is pretty good, considering the sales in the west.

Hyrule Warriors will not be in next week's chart.

Hyrule Warriors will have an opening lower than 4k, is that what you are claiming?...

I ask because everyone's saying the Japanese home console market is mostly dead, but you'd think if people really weren't interested in home consoles anymore, the PS3 would be doing much, much worse. I don't dispute that the market actually is mostly dead, really (no one would consider less than 40k a month "good"), just curious as to what kind of outlier the PS3 represents.

The PS3 numbers aren't great at all, the PS4 is selling worse because there's nothing to play on it, and it will continue that way for a long time.

jakncoke

Banned
Outselling the Dreamcast worldwide has been delayed to February 2015.

If PS4 takes until Feb to sell to 10.6 million worldwide with a holiday coming up and 4 other months then that'd be failure.

Interesting to MK8 sales legs, each week increasing the overall attach rate.

PS4 sub 5000 shal wait a week more it seems.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Yes. 3DS totally isn't in its 4th year already, and the 3rd one without a new model.

This is so weird to me. 3DS is following the exact same relative trend as every Nintendo handheld in Jpn (and most hardware in general), yet some think it's remarkable that a system is getting old.

Instro

I am honestly surprised that Nintendo never released a 3DS revision that was legitimately superior to what was already available, I do think that has hurt sales in the long run. With no new hardware announced at E3, I imagine they are moving on from the device sooner rather than later.

MilesTeg

Banned
I am honestly surprised that Nintendo never released a 3DS revision that was legitimately superior to what was already available, I do think that has hurt sales in the long run. With no new hardware announced at E3, I imagine they are moving on from the device sooner rather than later.

I agree that it's surprising Nintendo hasn't released a new model after the XL. Japan very clearly wants new hardware. When you have a game like Yokai Watch 2 sell like it did and have hardware sales barely even be affected, obviously something is wrong.

I still think Nintendo could release a new model this year though. With the XL they didn't even reveal it at E3. So basically Nintendo gonna Nintendo I guess.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Hyrule Warriors will have an opening lower than 4k, is that what you are claiming?...

No, he's claiming that next week's numbers are for this week of sales and Hyrule Warriors will not sell more than 4k a week before it's released.

If PS4 takes until Feb to sell to 10.6 million worldwide with a holiday coming up and 4 other months then that'd be failure.

Interesting to MK8 sales legs, each week increasing the overall attach rate.

PS4 sub 5000 shal wait a week more it seems.
PS4 is already over 10 million in shipped numbers So yeah it's going to overtake DC before the year ends lol.

Darius

Banned
as long as vita numbers are better than last years..i'm content.

it's may not be 3ds numbers, but it's something.

It pretty much looks like that by the end of the year its ytd sales will be as bad as last years at best. It´s current ytd is quite similar despite a better start this year and the weekly sales are virtually the same as well. There is no information about new PSV revisions so far, therefore it will be very difficult to compete with last years releases. It´s quite likely that it will fall behind compared to last year, if there won´t be another revision.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
No, he's claiming that next week's numbers are for this week of sales and Hyrule Warriors will not sell more than 4k a week before it's released.

Okk gotcha! That's why it didn't make any sense lol

hiska-kun

Thanks! This week is going to be also interesting to see if there is another increase or it will hold and this is the new base. Next week will be also influenced by Hyrule Warriors. I don't have big expectations from Hyrule Warriors sales but it should bring some new players on Wii U at list in Japan I think (where Dinasty Warriors is bigger than Zelda).

Really?

[PS3] Samurai Warriors 4 # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.03.20} (¥7.560) - 246.662
[PSV] Samurai Warriors 4 <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.03.20} (¥7.140) - 83.352

[PS3] Dynasty Warriors 8 # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2013.02.28} (¥7.560) - 354.980

[3DS] The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds # <ADV> (Nintendo) {2013.12.26} (¥4.800) - 405.633

SmokyDave

It pretty much looks like that by the end of the year its ytd sales will be as bad as last years at best. It´s current ytd is quite similar despite a better start this year and the weekly sales are virtually the same as well. There is no information about new PSV revisions so far, therefore it will be very difficult to compete with last years releases. It´s quite likely that it will fall behind compared to last year, if there won´t be another revision.
Nah, it'll finish in front again. It doesn't need any further revising.

Owzers

Sony first party games are rather unremarkable overall and Japan stopped making console games...ps4 low sales are not unexpected.

MilesTeg

Banned
This will probably be Vita's best year in Japan, which is just sad. Think about it...right now you are witnessing Vita's peak sales. Without any big games, by next year the console is basically dead on it's home turf.

extralite

Here's the Wii U sales after the first 10 weeks of the games' release (Media Create).

Pikmin 3 | MK8
22.199 | 19.312
14.280 | 13.766
11.373 | 12.249
10.038 | 10.715
9.950 | 10.653
12.047 | 9.961
7.030 | 8.658
6.741 | 8.209
5.702 | 9.429
5.003 | 9.646

TOTAL
104.363 | 112.598

The bumb in Pikmin 3 week 6 is Obon festival. Zelda Musou is coming out during Obon week this year, so hopefully there's going to be a decent spike then.

Thanks! Somehow the people who posted/referred to this comparison stopped citing it when it stopped seeming to prove MK8 would be as "weak" as Pikmin 3. I thought we all knew how big these franchises are in relation to each other.

I can see Zelda Musou doing quite well myself. Ocarina of Time 3D had great sales for a remake, Musou is a beloved franchise in Japan and all star games tend to do well on Nintendo consoles. Wii U is also getting Smash, ZM strikes me as a game in a similar vein appealing to fans of all the older games it takes its characters from. It definitely is a title that will be able to take advantage of its launch date.

SmokyDave

This will probably be Vita's best year in Japan, which is just sad. Think about it...right now you are witnessing Vita's peak sales. Without any big games, by next year the console is basically dead on it's home turf.
That 2014 will be the best year for Vita sales ain't sad, it's a fucking miracle. 2014 was supposed to be the year of discontinuation.

Exile20

Thanks! Somehow the people who posted/referred to this comparison stopped citing it when it stopped seeming to prove MK8 would be as "weak" as Pikmin 3. I thought we all knew how big these franchises are in relation to each other.

I can see Zelda Musou doing quite well myself. Ocarina of Time 3D had great sales for a remake, Musou is a beloved franchise in Japan and all star games tend to do well on Nintendo consoles. Wii U is also getting Smash, ZM strikes me as a game in a similar vein appealing to fans of all the older games it takes its characters from. It definitely is a title that will be able to take advantage of its launch date.

Musou fans I hope will buy it since it is a different take from the other Musou games. TK is really advertising it also.

Zelda fans will buy it for sure I believe. You will never get to play all these characters again in another games outside of Smash. That is the greatest pull for the game for Zelda fans.

Shinriji

No big games next year? Saying like that, we could presume that the vita have big games right now and won't have them in the future. The truth is that vita won't ever get big games. Not now, not ever.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Really?

[PS3] Samurai Warriors 4 # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.03.20} (¥7.560) - 246.662
[PSV] Samurai Warriors 4 <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.03.20} (¥7.140) - 83.352

[PS3] Dynasty Warriors 8 # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2013.02.28} (¥7.560) - 354.980

[3DS] The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds # <ADV> (Nintendo) {2013.12.26} (¥4.800) - 405.633

I was thinking more about the first week and strictly linked to consoles. And 405k for 3ds is not really a success, seeing how much a good seller is capable of selling on 3ds.

4. (Wii, Nintendo) Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - 139,011 / NEW
01./00. [WII] The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword # <ADV> (Nintendo) {2011.11.23} (¥6.800) - 194.978 / NEW (at the peak of Wii's install base practically)

01. / 00. [PS3] Dynasty Warriors 7 (Koei Tecmo) {2011.03.10} - 253.090 / NEW
01./00. [PS3] Dynasty Warriors 8 # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2013.02.28} (¥7.560) - 203.224 / NEW <68,23%>

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
That 2014 will be the best year for Vita sales ain't sad, it's a fucking miracle. 2014 was supposed to be the year of discontinuation.

The sad thing is that Sony is treating it as if it was the year of discontinuation.

All around? 3DS is actually doing quite well, similar in performance to what PS2 sold in its 4th year. Let´s not belittle everything just to excuse other systems that are doing horribly.

3DS is failing to meet all Nintendo sales expectations, and also reflects the general decline in gaming outside mobile in Japan. 3DS is facing a huge drop yoy and was consistently selling around 20k just a few weeks ago.

So, except for those whose purpose of sales numbers is to use as a proof that company X is better than company Y and to use them as signal that their dream that gaming market becomes a monopoly will become true, all the numbers are bad.

Top Bottom