• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 31, 2014 (Jul 28 - Aug 03)

Senran Kagura is probably going to stick with multiple platforms unless one of the games outright bombs or something.

Of course, there is no reason to ditch engines ready for new games unless the costs of producing new games outweigh the profits, or that games in one platform start to sell many times more than in the other, but both scenarios don't seem very likely anytime soon. The logical thing is to keep pushing in many different directions, trying to make their franchise grow.

sörine

Banned
You are still butthurt that I complained about the obvious stealth port-begging hidden behind the same argument that "companies should release games on 3DS instead of other platforms because it is the logical thing to do". If you cared to read instead of acting as a member of the N-defense-force, you would see that the same post you quoted had me complaining about an user using the fact that on SK sold better on Vita indicates that the "logical" thing was to port older SK games to Sony platforms and ditch 3DS.

Besides, apart from Ys (biggest Falcom series at the time) and Disgaea (biggest NIS series) being launched at DS and bombed, we still have niche RPGs or VNs that sold better on Vita than on 3DS (Conception, Extstetra), and others were a tie (Time Travelers and Zero Escape, even the latter being a sequel of a DS-only game). So my argument that some games won't do better just by being released in a platform with a bigger install base is proven correct.

Contrary to you and other "fans" trying to hide their obvious preferences under a false pretense of being impartial, I have never stated that every or almost every game would do bad if released on Nintendo platforms, I said some would, and I have data to back up my statement. As for you, what data do you have to back up that every game or almost every game should be on a Nintendo platform because it is the logical thing to do? What data have you to support that my argument that just migrating to 3DS will make series traditionally on PSP/PSV to sell a lot better than they do?

And talking about glass houses, a simple CTRL+F in your post history tells who you are. But I don't care about your preferences, I just hate port begging and cynical console-war posts.
Even last gen LOH was bigger than Ys. And are you seriously using Ys Strategy and the 3rd port of Disgaea 1 as representative of anything sales wise on DS? Bomba bin fare like Conception II, Extstetra, Time Travelers and VLR to prove Vita's superiority/equality to 3DS potential? And you're accusing others of twisting the numbers to push their fanboy agendas?

Butthurt? Keep it up, you'll go far here.

Lumyst

^^Could also be the whole "medium the artist works with" thing, like if what Man God suggested, that the series creator really wants to see breasts in 3D. Well then he'd have to work with the 3DS as his medium for some of the games, so long as that 3DS game is profitable, he can have his fun :p

ohlawd

but your post history tells us everything

k uhh

I think SK gameplay in 2D is over. The endgame was to be 3D and be Musou-lite, right? They reached that already with Versus. I'm not even gonna wait for numbers. This shit is done :(

Are they even any good 2D action sidescroller indie games? lol might be the only place left to get my fix.

Snakeyes

Wouldn't that require the handheld and console to have the same performance?
No. Are you familiar with how graphics settings work on PC? Same thing would apply here, except that devs would be optimizing for 2 to 5 hardware configurations instead of several dozen.
Would that be viable considering third parties will be developing on the PS4?
I think we should wait and see how things play out in Japan over the next two years or so before saying who will be developing for what by then.

In any case, if the architecture is flexible enough, then sure. Like I said earlier, some of today's most demanding engines are already compatible with current smartphones. Capcom were able to scale MT Framework down to the 3DS, which was more or less on par with late 2009 mobile hardware.
Wouldn't that also mean that their console and handheld will have the same libraries effectively killing sales for both since you only need to own one to play all those games?
Not necessarily. Some types of content are better suited to a certain form factor. For example, E-books are compatible with phones but tablets offer an objectively better reading experience. Would you browse the web on an iPhone if you had an iPad handy?

Same goes for games; why would I want to play Zelda or a 3D Metroid on a Nintendo handheld if I'm at home and can play it on their console instead? A game like Smash is always going to be better on the big screen with a controller. On the other hand, while Animal Crossing can be played on console, the series is better in a portable format. So there is definitely a reason to own both platforms even if most of the library is shared between the two.

For Japanese developers that don't rely on IPs which benefit from targeting high-end specs and cutting-edge graphics, a shared library could be an advantage. Their home market has an overwhelming preference for handhelds while there are plenty of western gamers who will pass on handheld exclusives. Even on GAF, you often see people complaining about the current lack of JRPGs on home consoles. A shared library would allow developers to release games in each market's preferred format without having to spend extra resources on porting.

Busaiku

Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3 will definitely be the most interesting Vita/3DS game.
And I imagine something like this will determine whether or not 3DS will have a longer lifespan, more similar to Sony's systems, and different from Nintendo's systems.

L Thammy

Maybe it would be too expensive for the consumer, but I think a remote play machine would be a solid implementation of a hybrid console, albeit not an original one. No need for multiple configurations at all. Just stream to the handheld.

Tripon

Maybe it would be too expensive for the consumer, but I think a remote play machine would be a solid implementation of a hybrid console, albeit not an original one. No need for multiple configurations at all. Just stream to the handheld.

Isn't that the Vita and PS4?

L Thammy

Isn't that the Vita and PS4?

That's exactly what I was thinking of. But the PS4 and Vita's performance in Japan isn't really due to their tech or features, but their weak software libraries. (Talking sales-wise, just to be clear.)
In fact, I don't even think the handheld needs to be able to play software on its own. Maybe to provide a way for lower-budget Japanese devs to avoid competing with higher budget console devs.

Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3 will definitely be the most interesting Vita/3DS game.
And I imagine something like this will determine whether or not 3DS will have a longer lifespan, more similar to Sony's systems, and different from Nintendo's systems.

Agreed. Looking at japanltdranking, it seems to be in favour of the Vita. It's just been performing more consistently on the Vita, whereas only the launch title did well on 3DS. Unless Vs and Chronicle 2nd were stunted because they weren't proper entries (weird multiplayer spinoff versus expansion pack).

Dynasty Warriors Vs - 45,870
Samurai Warriors Chronicles - 155,059
Samurai Warriors Chronicles 2nd - 68,360

Dynasty Warriors NEXT - 80,052
Dynasty Warriors 8 with Xtreme Legends - 11,627
Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate - 48,225 (41,895+6,330)
Samurai Warriors 4 - 92,722 (83,352+9,370)
Dynasty Warriors: Gundam Reborn - 96,021 (85,890+10,131)
One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 - 103,757

Darius

Banned

I doubt they´ll give a multiplatform release of a spinoff or any niche game for that matter any importance. Sure it will be used in forums as an argument but that´s all. More important are the successes and actual potential to sell software on the system, something that Youkai Watch is a good example of.

Furthermore to them it´s far more important what they have themselves in the pipeline, they are still working on several 3DS projects and their focus and development resources have shifted in favour of WiiU. So it´s kind of weird to suggest that niche software from Japanese 3rd parties will have such a big importance to them. even suggesting that it will lead them into rushing and launching a new handheld, when in the same time they actually are easily dominating the Japanese market and have a userbase that supports big sellers like Yokai Watch, Pkmn and MH.

Next year we could see and speculate the release of games like Youkai Watch 3, Pkmn Z or an actual new entry and also games like Rhythm Tengoku among other popular IPs that haven´t seen a game on 3DS yet. It will be interesting to see what happens with Final Fantasy Explorer, if it will be successful or if SQEX wants it to become a new series. Monster Hunter 5 is also a possibility for 2016. My point is that they´ll likely look at the whole picture rather than overblown comparisons between niche games on different systems.

About longer lifespans when it comes to PSV it will likely be more just due to a successor not seen as an viable option for along time, rather than having a healthy ecosystem.

RE: Senran Kagura sales

Someone was telling me that the difference between Burst and Shinovi Versus could be due to the import factor, with the Vita being region free and all.

Personally, I don't know what to make of it. All I want is more dudes in the series, so which ever game does that, that'll probably be my first one.

L~A

RE: Senran Kagura sales

Someone was telling me that the difference between Burst and Shinovi Versus could be due to the import factor, with the Vita being region free and all.

Personally, I don't know what to make of it. All I want is more dudes in the series, so which ever game does that, that'll probably be my first one.

Not really. For import to be a factor, you'd need ten of thousands of people importing the game for it to have any meaningful impact on sales.

I know some people love to make import and region-free a super big deal (and I say that as a staunch advocate of region-free), but the thing is: it hardly matters (which is why region-locking is such a pain).

Agreed. Looking at japanltdranking, it seems to be in favour of the Vita. It's just been performing more consistently on the Vita, whereas only the launch title did well on 3DS.

Not quite. Here's what the producer said back in 2012:

“I cannot begin to express how overjoyed I am that [Samurai Warriors: Chronicles 2nd] has continued to sell to the year’s end. Thank you! Just a bit more in sales, and we can start thinking about the next game, so please keep at it!

TK has been pretty happy with the series sales on the 3DS. SWC2nd did well for an expansion sold as a full game so close after SWC1. Only exception seems to be Dynasty Warriors VS, but that one looked like a really poor game, and the fact that it was multiplayer only probably didn't help either.

Not really. For import to be a factor, you'd need ten of thousands of people importing the game for it to have any meaningful impact on sales.

Yeah, I really doubt there are tens of thousands who would import a Vita game.
I have no history with the series, including sales, so I don't have a stake in the matter. I just mentioned it because I was talking to someone about it just earlier today who brought it up.

Anyway, it seems to be that they are branching the series off into two sub-series, based on their respective handheld. Whether or not that is wise, I guess we'll see. As I said before, gimme dudes, or I'm out.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
After Battride Wars 2 and One Piece, I'm surprised Bandai Namco is still bothering with Wii U.

Bamco supports all systems as much as possible - they were the one publisher still announcing new games when the Vita selling like shit.

Takao

Banned
Bamco supports all systems as much as possible - they were the one publisher still announcing new games when the Vita selling like shit.

That's fine, but I'm just surprised they'd continue with Wii U given the sales of their games. I guess they'll put out another Taiko too.

L~A

Well, it's not like they got any other place to put those games. For Taiko, they have the 3DS games doing well, they also have some mobile games (they launched one recently, I believe). And the Wii U game did pretty ok all things considered (and I'm sure it'll do well during the holidays this year). I doubt the Taiko games cost them a lot to make anyway.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
One thing the Wii U still has support with is kids games and a Skylanders-esque game definitely falls within that domain.

L Thammy

I suppose the toys justify it. Even if the Wii U version sells just a small amount, that means however many additional toys.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I guess I'm not too surprised.

Wasn't Namco's LTD goals for Kamen Battride War 2 on Wii U like 10K? They hit 6827 on the first week, so I think they'll easily hit their measly goal. If 10K is enough to make them happy, then I guess I could see why they'd release another game on Wii U.

One thing the Wii U still has support with is kids games and a Skylanders-esque game definitely falls within that domain.

You;d think DBZ, Naruto, and Digimon would fall into that category and yet nada. One Piece made it, but sadly NA (and AUS?) got robbed a retail release. :(

hiska-kun

Sales should rise this week thanks we're approaching to Obon. But since the Typhoon Halong is crossing the country at the moment, i wonder if we won't see any increase.

Btw, should we expect delays from Media Create and Famitsu, for Obon Holidays?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
new releases

{2014.08.13}

[PSV] Monster Hunter Frontier G: Beginner's Package <ACT> (Capcom) (¥6.264)

{2014.08.14}

[PSV] Clannad <ADV> (Prototype) (¥5.184)

[WIU] Hyrule Warriors # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) (¥7.980)
[WIU] Hyrule Warriors [Premium Box] <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) (¥11.664)

Kikujiro

Why is that anyways? Is One Piece just that popular in Europe for some reason? In the PAL Charts I saw some really good sales of One Piece games in Germany for example.

Anime are big in a lot Europeans countries, every children grew up watching anime on regional TV channels.

L~A

Sales should rise this week thanks we're approaching to Obon. But since the Typhoon Halong is crossing the country at the moment, i wonder if we won't see any increase.

Btw, should we expect delays from Media Create and Famitsu, for Obon Holidays?

Not sure, when does Obon takes place precisely? August 15 I believe?

Last year, there was no delay (at least, no with one of the two trackers), since the thread was made on Wednesday, August 14.

Hopefully, there's no delay this year either.

Curious to see the impact on sales, especially Wii U / 3DS.

RalchAC

You;d think DBZ, Naruto, and Digimon would fall into that category and yet nada. One Piece made it, but sadly NA (and AUS?) got robbed a retail release. :(

Wasn't a limited retail edition at GameStop in NA if you wanted to buy a Vita/WiiU retail version?

I'd like to know how OP sales were overall. If the game performed well enough we may see more games going this route. I'd really love if they do the same with the Digimon: Cyber Sleuth (Have I spelled it correctly?) game since this way they should be able to get some profit more easily this way.

hiska-kun

Not sure, when does Obon takes place precisely? August 15 I believe?

Last year, there was no delay (at least, no with one of the two trackers), since the thread was made on Wednesday, August 14.

Hopefully, there's no delay this year either.

Curious to see the impact on sales, especially Wii U / 3DS.

National holidays for Obon are the 13th and the 15th. This year wednesday is a holiday

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Wasn't a limited retail edition at GameStop in NA if you wanted to buy a Vita/WiiU retail version?

I'd like to know how OP sales were overall. If the game performed well enough we may see more games going this route. I'd really love if they do the same with the Digimon: Cyber Sleuth (Have I spelled it correctly?) game since this way they should be able to get some profit more easily this way.

Only for Vita. That's why folks aren't too happy with it. If the Vita version can get a special edition retail release, I'm sure the Wii U could as well...

In today's episode of Senran Kagura is dead. (?)

DX Pack is still available on Yodobashi and Amazon (27% off, slightly bigger than the usual 18%).

1eQKOI5.jpg

And with a box this big I think we all know what is going to happen in the next few weeks. #PrayForMMV

Launch Points Comparison

Senran Kagura - 96pt (52.206)
Senran Kagura Burst - 91pt (69.084)
Senran Kagura Versus - 123pt (94.324)

Senran Kagura 2 - 80pt (???)

iD5Is70LoQvh1.gif

hiska-kun

I succeed!!!

I got the Media Create White Paper 2014 in a japanese library. They're making the photoduplication of the top 1000 2013, and also the Top 500 used games of 2013 for me.

It will take a little time to translate, i request people who can read japanese to mail me and help with the translation.

2013 had 8 million sellers (Luigi's Mansion included).

Also Samurai Warriors Chronicle 2nd for 3DS is at 115.577 according to Media Create.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I succeed!!!

I got the Media Create White Paper 2014 in a japanese library. They're making the photoduplication of the top 1000 2013, and also the Top 500 used games of 2013 for me.

It will take a little time to translate, i request people who can read japanese to mail me and help with the translation.

2013 had 8 million sellers (Luigi's Mansion included).

Also Samurai Warriors Chronicle 2nd for 3DS is at 115.577 according to Media Create.

Not bad for the Warriors game, especially for an expansion pack. Explains the release of the third one. Btw, 8 million sellers?

So...

Luigi Mansion's 2
Animal Crossing New Leaf (continuing from 2012)
Pokemon X & Y (2 sellers?)
Monster Hunter 4
Puzzles & Dragons Z...
Tomodachi Life
Dragon Quest VII

I assume those are the 8?

bracing myself for Musou-lite sequels now. Dream is dead.

Um why the pessimism? If Warriors Chronicles has done decently enough on the 3DS, it looks like the sequel might do alright. Are you actually pinning the whole future of the series on Zelda Musou? Considering it's on the Wii U, that seems really weird to me...

Top Bottom