• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 31, 2014 (Jul 28 - Aug 03)

hiska-kun

Samurai Warriors Chronicles 2nd did well. I wonder what the average sale price of those new 30k were though.

Check the first week sellthrough. The game wasn't overshipped, never hit the bomba bins. It has sold all these copies at full price.

Very nice. So, is photo archive, not possible to copy and paste the names?

No, that's why i need some help to translate this. It will take time. Road already said he's in. If somebody else can read japanese and wants to help, please mail me and i'll send you the copies.

Takao

Banned
Well ofc I'm joking, but still I secretely want it to at least do decent so it can (it wont) send a message to Capcom D:

Frontier is a lose-lose situation for Vita. If it were to do well, Capcom has no reason to release a proper MH on Vita (lol) because Frontier is an ever evolving service game and the audience has been satiated. When it flops, Capcom can wash their hands of Vita entirely and say that the userbase won't buy anything from them, including Monster Hunter.

That's why I'm surprised to see Sony feature the game in their ads. They didn't really pay for a years-old port of a game no one wanted, right?

crinale

Frontier is a lose-lose situation for Vita. If it were to do well, Capcom has no reason to release a proper MH on Vita (lol) because Frontier is an ever evolving service game and the audience has been satiated. When it flops, Capcom can wash their hands of Vita entirely and say that the userbase won't buy anything from them, including Monster Hunter.

That's why I'm surprised to see Sony feature the game in their ads. They didn't really pay for a years-old port of a game no one wanted, right?

By looking at how Capcom is porting MHF like crazy to ... like all platforms it is evident they still do want MHF to be stem of their constant revenue (they want to have their equivalent of SE's DQ/FF online, or even Activision's WoW). However the MHF is becoming less and less popular so I don't know whether their effort is really worth it.
As for Sony's (or all big 3, since MHF is released to all of their platforms) stance, they're just providing ads for whatever software third party vendor provides, and MHF is just one of them.

allan-bh

[PS3] JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All-Star Battle (Bandai Namco Games)

First Week- 425.718
2013 LTD- 483.378

Terrible legs.

L Thammy

Sales for 2013

[3DS] Samurai Warriors: Chronicles 2nd <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2012.09.13} (¥6.090) - 37.110 / 115.577

I'm really surprised by this. The opening was bad, but it seems like the legs are pretty incredible. Thanks for the hard work Hiska-kun.

Smh Japan.

Doesn't look so bad to me considering that it's not a big franchise. 200K is hardly a great result for a console RPG, but it's decent. The biggest problem for the series is really that it's on the wrong platforms. It would do better positioned next to the big RPG franchises, but unless Nintendo can somehow get Final Fantasy XVI for itself, that isn't happening.

By the way, quickly checking Amazon, it looks like Xenoblade has retained its price a lot better than most RPGs.

And I agree with your prediction, it's unusual for a Samurai Warriors game to have legs, maybe SWC attracted some female players? That would give the 3DS version some advantage.

I believe that Musou games have a large female fanbase as it is. Don't have the stats to support this, but I'll point at the hug pillows instead.

L~A

Unless Level 5 suddenly stops production of Youkai Watch 2, the 3 million mark is a lock. I expect virtually no drop for week 32 and next week is Obon, so the game will have a bump. Its LTD at the end of August should be close to 2,5 million units.

What I would like to know is its exact sell-through to see if they are being able to meet demand. Famitsu digital sales estimates should be a good indicator, if its digital sales are abnormally high, then there must be some supply issues.

Anyway, the question is whether Youkai Watch 2 can get to the exclusive tier of 4 million sellers. Only 3 third-party titles managed to reach such a godly status (Monster Hunter Portable 3rd, Dragon Quest IX and Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G). But I guess it still is to premature for such speculations, I must not to get carried away by Youkai Watch hype.

And to think some people were calling me crazy for expecting 3m for YW2 in 2014.

By the way, it needs roughly 46k/week to reach 3m before the end of the year. Definitely possible, imo.

About 4m... I dunno. That'd be really huge, that'd put it at the same level as Pokémon, which would be absolutely incredible. My bet is on 3.5m.

crinale

As for Yokai Watch I feel it is getting a little out of control, that sculpters and their stories make top news of the day and my colleagues with 5-6 years old kids actually buy medals from them.
At the TV interview Hino said he has been meeting with Dentsu (google it for the meaning of it) once in every two weeks to make extremely deliberate plans to generate hype, but I don't know if he was expecting this much of hype.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well ofc I'm joking, but still I secretely want it to at least do decent so it can (it wont) send a message to Capcom D:

At this point it seems rather moot.

If they greenlit a Vita Monster Hunter today, it would finish at about the time Nintendo's next handheld would be launching anyway.

As for Yokai Watch I feel it is getting a little out of control, that sculpters and their stories make top news of the day and my colleagues with 5-6 years old kids actually buy medals from them.
At the TV interview Hino said he has been meeting with Dentsu (google it for the meaning of it) once in every two weeks to make extremely deliberate plans to generate hype, but I don't know if he was expecting this much of hype.
First semester of 2015: new 3DS redesign with built-in Amiibo reader, followed by Youkai Watch 3 and other Amiibo compatible games.

3DS ha spring awakening.

TheChaos0

At this point it seems rather moot.

If they greenlit a Vita Monster Hunter today, it would finish at about the time Nintendo's next handheld would be launching anyway.

If they greenlit a Vita MH today, it would be a port of MH4. I don't think it'll take them 2 years to port it.

I wonder if next MH will be some kind of multiplatform release. I'm thinking more in terms of 3DS/4DS rather than Vita getting a version. I guess that depends on how soon MH5 will come out.

L Thammy

Actually, Level-5 may very well have some influence on the next Nintendo handheld's design. The 3DS' StreetPass feature is based off of Dragon Quest IX's tag mode.

I wonder if next MH will be some kind of multiplatform release. I'm thinking more in terms of 3DS/4DS rather than Vita getting a version. I guess that depends on how soon MH5 will come out.

Setting aside Frontier and late ports, how many Monster Hunter games have been multiplatform so far?

crinale

First semester of 2015: new 3DS redesign with built-in Amiibo reader, followed by Youkai Watch 3 and other Amiibo compatible games.

3DS ha spring awakening.

It's all Bamco that almost monopolizing Japanese licensed toy industry. I don't know if Amiibo could penetrate the ironclad with no reputation.

L~A

It's all Bamco that almost monopolizing Japanese licensed toy industry. I don't know if Amiibo could penetrate the ironclad with no reputation.

3rd-parties are free to use the NFC chip in both the Wii U gamepad and the upcoming NFC adapter for 3DS if they so desire, they don't even need to call them Amiibo (and I don't think Nintendo's planning to have non-Nintendo Amiibo anyway).

So yeah, Bamco should have some NFC toys coming for both Wii U / 3DS, and looks like that Kamen Rider game is a start... though it needs an additional peripheral.

Just imagine a game where kids just "scan" their Youkai medal... I can see them getting crazy over this.

TheChaos0

Actually, Level-5 may very well have some influence on the next Nintendo handheld's design. The 3DS' StreetPass feature is based off of Dragon Quest IX's tag mode.

Setting aside Frontier and late ports, how many Monster Hunter games have been multiplatform so far?

MH2 and MH3, if we strictly speaking of ports.

I would imagine the next MH will be ready by the time 4DS will be ready to come out. Logically, they'll just release it on 3DS again but it'll leave 4DS without one for quite a while. I'm sure Nintendo would be happier if a 4DS version of MH existed as soon as possible. I suppose if 4DS is backwards compatible it's not too bad, otherwise adoption rate won't be as great.

cafemomo

the kinokuniya in Arlington Heights is getting youkai watch books.
BussnOcIcAA907n.jpg

bought two of them

now bring the game stateside level 5

Oregano

I would imagine the next MH will be ready by the time 4DS will be ready to come out. Logically, they'll just release it on 3DS again but it'll leave 4DS without one for quite a while. I'm sure Nintendo would be happier if a 4DS version of MH existed as soon as possible. I suppose if 4DS is backwards compatible it's not too bad, otherwise adoption rate won't be as great.

MH5 on 3DS, MH5U on 4DS. Save upgrade via Nintendo Network and/or Amiibo.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If they greenlit a Vita MH today, it would be a port of MH4. I don't think it'll take them 2 years to port it.

While that's possible, I feel that's not really what people were imagining when talking about a Vita Monster Hunter back when this generation was starting up.

Like similarly if Tales PS4 is a year late port of Zestiria I feel that wouldn't be much of a PS4 game, since it's clearly something that's not designed to scale up well like we see with a lot of Western cross-gen games or things like Metal Gear.

If the Vita had a notable market share split in the way we saw with 360/PS3 or even PS4/XB1, yeah there would be a really obviously point to go multiplatform there, but here we're talking about trying to sell a very distant second place console a late port of a game that the entire series audience almost assuredly bought already.

It's not like it's going to be the successor platform to the last one either like with HD remasters where you know you will have a constant stream of new customers coming as the new systems take over as the dominant platforms, so putting in a bunch of effort to upgrade the assets isn't an amazing use of time.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I dont think the next MH generation aka MH5 will be on 3DS - MH4G looks like it is pushing the system content and feature wise. Other plans really depend on the 4DS release date. We might get a HD version of MH4G next year on WiiU/4DS.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Monster Hunter 4G Plus Edition - 4DS launch, with some additional content, amiibos support for a specific mode and improved connectivity
Monster Hunter 5 - 4DS, one year and a half later

That's what I think we'll see.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Monster Hunter 4G Plus Edition - 4DS launch, with some additional content, amiibos support for a specific mode and improved connectivity
Monster Hunter 5 - 4DS, one year and a half later

That's what I think we'll see.

Amiibo support ? why and for what ? xD

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'd be pretty shocked if third parties used amiibos.

They have no incentive. The idea is to sell toys that you make.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Comgnet retail chain: preorder stats / comparisons as of August 11th, 2014

[3DS] Monster Hunter 4G - 767pt

[3DS] Puzzle & Dragons Z - 279pt
[3DS] Yokai Watch 2 - 290pt + 215pt = 505pt
[3DS] Super Smash Bros. For Nintendo 3DS - 430pt

[PS3] Persona 4 Arena - 91pt
[PS3] Persona 4 Arena Ultimax - 63pt + 32pt = 95pt

[PSV] Toukiden - 51pt
[PSP] Toukiden - 40pt
[PSV] Toukiden: Kiwami - 44pt

[WiiU] Pikmin 3 - 67pt
[WiiU] Super Mario 3D World - 55pt
[WiiU] Dragon Quest X: Nemureru Yuusha to Michibiki no Meiyuu Online - 59pt
[WiiU] Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - 20pt
[WiiU] Mario Kart 8 - 235pt
[PS3] Shin Gundam Musou - 115pt
[PSV] Shin Gundam Musou - 20pt
[PS3] Samurai Warriors 4 - 103pt + 15pt = 118pt
[PSV] Samurai Warriors 4 - 26pt
[WiiU] Hyrule Warriors - 28pt + 19pt = 47pt

[PS3] Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masou Kishin III - Pride of Justice - 32pt
[PS3] Super Robog Wars OG Saga: Masou Kishin F - Coffin of the End - 27pt

[WiiU] Super Smash Bros. For Wii U - 22pt

I'm a bit confused to those saying the number of preorders for Hyrule Warriors are bad. It's no Mario Kart 8 (obviously), but doing a bit worse than Pikmin 3 & 3D World, which both had about 100K openings, isn't that terrible right? This is the Wii U after all...

Btw, hiska, do you have numbers for Taiko Wii U?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Amiibos are there as a possible feature the 4DS version could have that makes that version different from 4G on 3DS, combined with the others, just a thought...and the first thing that came to my mind XD

I'm a bit confused to those saying the number of preorders for Hyrule Warriors are bad. It's no Mario Kart 8 (obviously), but doing a bit worse than Pikmin 3 & 3D World, which both had about 100K openings, isn't that terrible right? This is the Wii U after all...

Where Hyrule Warriors is at is extremely difficult to really gauge where it will launch at. Comgnet usually seems to work decently for the same series and usually can predict a huge flop (i.e. not showing up at all or being very very low in comparison to something in the same series). Hyrule Warriors could open at half of Pikmin 3's FW.

I think Nintendo is probably pushing for MH5 on 4DS, but I bet Capcom will release it on 3DS as well. Also I'm sure Capcom doesn't want to put out the money yet to design it for a probably close to PS3/360 power system.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Where Hyrule Warriors is at is extremely difficult to really gauge where it will launch at. Comgnet usually seems to work decently for the same series and usually can predict a huge flop (i.e. not showing up at all or being very very low in comparison to something in the same series). Hyrule Warriors could open at half of Pikmin 3's FW.

Right. That's why I don't get the pessimism because it's pretty hard to tell. It's showing up on the charts and perhaps folks are expecting a higher FW and then having it taper off a lot?

Tomohawk

I'd be pretty shocked if third parties used amiibos.

They have no incentive. The idea is to sell toys that you make.

The only advantage of 3rd parties using amiibo would be that people might already own one and they can be used across multiple games. I think its possible if for example capcom released a megaman game for wii u, they do something with the megaman smash amiibo, but otherwise they'll just make their own.

L Thammy

Monster Hunter 3 was never ported. 2 and 3 Ultimate were, but those were almost exactly one year from the original release. Not really a multiplatform release.

The 3DS -> 4DS port could happen, but there's not much of a reason for it to. The 3DS is already a popular portable platform, so the 4DS version isn't going to catch much of the audience that the 3DS version doesn't and there's little reason to switch over. It makes more sense to have an expansion like Oregano suggested; you could advertise it as a full game and it would sell like a full game.

Additionally, based on the 3DS' situation itself, Capcom's probably going to be one of the first to develop for the 4DS. They could neatly transition to the new platform within the first year.

[PS3] Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masou Kishin III - Pride of Justice - 32pt
[PS3] Super Robog Wars OG Saga: Masou Kishin F - Coffin of the End - 27pt
MKF will manage to sell less than 3 on PS3 alone and that one was already a bomb. TBH, I'm not touching F because 3 dropped in price a couple of weeks after release and there's no Vita version. So I'm waiting for a price drop or a Vita release.

hiska-kun

Quote this message for this week numbers.

From Media Create Top 1000 2013, first week, total sales and first week sellthrough

[3DS] Senran Kagura: Shoujotachi no Shinei <ACT> (Marvelous Entertainment) {2011.09.22} (¥5.980) - 52.206 / 100.334 <86,25%>
[3DS] Senran Kagura Burst: Guren no Shoujotachi <ACT> (Marvelous AQL) {2012.08.30} (¥5.980) - 69.084 / 101.583 <76,33%>
[PSV] Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus: Otome Shoujotachi no Shoumei # <ACT> (Marvelous AQL) {2013.02.28} (¥6.980) - 94.324 / 153.226 <93,37%>

Miku series:

[PSV] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f # <ACT> (Sega) {2012.08.30} (¥7.329) – 159.592 / 227.075 <74,63%>
[3DS] Hatsune Miku and Future Stars: Project Mirai # <ACT> (Sega) {2012.03.08} (¥6.090) - 86.676 / 205.838 <70,73%>
[3DS] Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai 2 # <ACT> (Sega) {2013.11.28} (¥6.279) - 88.708 / 149.062 <66,66%>

Bombas of the year:

[3DS] Gaist Crusher # <ACT> (Capcom) {2013.12.05} (¥4.990) - 8.092 / 24.460 <7,05%>
[WIU] Yakuza 1 & 2 HD for Wii U <ADV> (Sega) {2013.08.08} (¥5.229) - 1.491 / 5.523 <13,69%>

sörine

Banned
Again, Warriors series is synonymous with PlayStation brand, therefore it makes sense to keep their mainline titles there. WiiU and 3DS actually got more Warriors titles than any of the previous Nintendo consoles, contrary to what you're implying.
3DS and Wii U each also got fewer Warriors titles than even the original Xbox. Koei just holds Nintendo to a different standard it seems. It's especially glaring with 3DS, which is pretty much the only system this gen where Musou didn't tank hard day one.

Bruno MB

sörine;125044838 said:
I thought Project Mirai 2 came close to 200k in the end as well?

There is a discrepancy between the 3 trackers for this title.

Famitsu has it quite below 200.000 units while according to Dengeki it is comfortably over that mark. Media Create would be in the middle but much closer to Dengeki, this year it charted several times in the weekly top 50.

mao2

sörine;125015507 said:
3DS and Wii U each also got fewer Warriors titles than even the original Xbox. Koei just holds Nintendo to a different standard it seems. It's especially glaring with 3DS, which is pretty much the only system this gen where Musou didn't tank hard day one.
Look, it's not uncommon for companies to focus their titles on a certain platform due to various reasons. Take Level-5 for example. Nearly all of their games are on Nintendo hardware. Does that mean that they hate Sony or Microsoft?

Top Bottom