• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 31, 2016 (Aug 01 - Aug 07)

It'll be funny if Persona 5 ends up selling like 350k or so, and everyone cries bomba, when it would still be a really good result compared with 3 and 4. I think it could definitely do 500k or more, but it's not a given, and expectations seem to be through the roof now.
I don't think that P5 is being developed with a 350k goal.

We had a mailing list with previous buyers back in... March, the white book was supposed to be available early April but nothing came of it as far as i know.
A few people (me included) were interested to fund it, if Zhuge and Hiska are still up for it could still happen maybe?

It has been a while yeah. I remember we got some leaks ages ago but nothing came since then.

Zhuge expressed interested via Twitter ages ago regarding funding the white book again. I'm pretty sure he'd be in if there was any interest, but obviously we'd need to check again.

We pretty much need Hiska though, or someone in Japan, able to access it. I've messaged him n here but he hasn't replied, so maybe he's just not interested this year.

It'd be a shame, with all the data we've had in previous years not to get it from now on.

Vena

As per before, and this was part of the discussion I had with Zhuge and probably everyone else in the e-mail chains, I am able/willing to pay for a very large sum of the order if we do want to pick-up the next White Book.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Tales is at a continued fall after Xillia and next one that there won't be a PS3 version will be worse if there aren't drastic changes.

The book is available to order on the website.

http://www.m-create.com/order/

Also it's possible to use Tenso to ship worldwide, in this regard.

http://www.tenso.com/

As per before, and this was part of the discussion I had with Zhuge and probably everyone else in the e-mail chains, I am able/willing to pay for a very large sum of the order if we do want to pick-up the next White Book.

Well awesome. Not a large sum here, but I'm more than willing to contribute. We just need someone to pull it all together then hopefully!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
YSO predictions

01. [PS4] Tales of Berseria < 155k (average 140k)
02. [PS3] Tales of Berseria < 100k (average 85k)
03. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sushi / Tempura < 40k (average 35k)

01./00. [PS3] Tales of Xillia # <RPG> (Bandai Namco) {2011.09.08} (¥8.379) - 525.605 / NEW <87,12%>
01./00. [PS3] Tales of Xillia 2 <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.11.01} (¥8.380) - 364.439 / NEW <78,09%>
01./00. [PS3] Tales of Zestiria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.01.22} (¥8.715) - 340.891 / NEW <89,52%>

Tales is a dumpster fire.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Anything less than 500k would be a mayor disappointment for Persona 5 in my opinion.

01./00. [PS3] Tales of Xillia # <RPG> (Bandai Namco) {2011.09.08} (¥8.379) - 525.605 / NEW <87,12%>
01./00. [PS3] Tales of Xillia 2 <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.11.01} (¥8.380) - 364.439 / NEW <78,09%>
01./00. [PS3] Tales of Zestiria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.01.22} (¥8.715) - 340.891 / NEW <89,52%>

Straight up mess - this series need a break. Though i wouldnt mind them bringing Vesperia to current systems (PS4/NX) and work on a new mainline game using that Cel SHading style.

Oregano

Hideo Baba:

giphy.gif

Is Baba even involved any more?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Hideo Baba:

To be fair it looks like they have been reusing the same engine and Assets for the last 10 years - so dropping the games yearly probably is less expensive than we think...lol.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Since YSO is based on Famitsu

[PS3] Tales of Xillia # <RPG> (Bandai Namco) {2011.09.08} (¥8.379) - 512.544 / 670.182
[PS3] Tales of Xillia 2 # <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.11.01} (¥8.380) - 331.533 / 453.810 <75,60%>
[PS3] Tales of Zestiria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.01.22} (¥8.715) - 316.824 / 368.829 <80-100%>

YSO predictions

Oregano

To be fair it looks like they have been reusing the same engine and Assets for the last 10 years - so dropping the games yearly probably is less expensive than we think...lol.

They are still selling better than Vesperia and Graces did!

Also they're presumably counting on Steam to bolster western sales but I doubt the sales will stay anywhere near Zestiria as the novelty of Tales on PC wears off.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Generally the solution to plummeting sales is to make better games, but Namco is a publisher who simply abandons series well before they'd ever spend more money making them.

Soul Calibur got flung off a cliff when it started running into trouble despite being one of their biggest series, and they seem to have put in zero additional development budget for XenoVerse 2 despite the first shipping over 3 million copies.

It's hard for me to see a future for anything the company does given how they handle their products. They seem more interested in just rotating through licenses at a cheap cost and coasting until they move on to the next thing once the products become non-viable.

Harada seems to be the primary exception in that he can get some budget for his pet projects, presumably because they really don't want to lose him.

Here's Abyss 3DS' yearly performance as of the end of 2014 from Media Create's Whitebooks:

2011 - 74,173 / 121,826
2012 - 23,800 / 145,626
2013 - 10,653 / 156,279
2014 - 7,861 / 164,140

(HUGE thanks to Sammy for rounding this up in 2014 (up to 2013), I added the 2014 number above)

2014 in full via here:

484. [3DS] Tales of the Abyss <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2011.06.30} (¥6.090) - 7.861 / 164.140 (74.173 <62,94%>)

We just need the 2015 number from the newest Whitebook talked about above.

Sandfox

Every Tales game post-Vesperia has had issues and this is the result. Xillia 2 failed to meet sales expectations in Japan and Zestiria is probably the same.

Damn Zestiria had zero legs even by Tales game standard...

That's because it's the worst modern Tales game ignoring Hearts R.

Also they're presumably counting on Steam to bolster western sales but I doubt the sales will stay anywhere near Zestiria as the novelty of Tales on PC wears off.
The gap gets closer when you factor in both versions of those games.

test_account

XP-39C²
Anything less than 500k would be a mayor disappointment for Persona 5 in my opinion.
I took a look at Garaph.info and the database excel sheet in the OP, no previous Persona game is close to that number. Highest seems to be Persona 4 at ~300k. Any reason why 200k+ new people would buy into Persona 5? Seems near impossible, especially in today's gaming market.

I took a look at Garaph.info and the database excel sheet in the OP, no previous Persona game is close to that number. Highest seems to be Persona 4 at ~300k. Any reason why 200k+ new people would buy into Persona 5? Seems near impossible, especially in today's gaming market.

Persona 4 Golden has sold ~ 350k (plus digital) for starters.

I see. But even if we say ~400k for P4G, its still quite a bit away from 500k. And it would also mean that e.g 450k would be a major disappointment based on what was said.

I don't understand. You're saying an extra ~ 100k (1/4 of the total sales) of a remake is 'quite a bit' for the first brand new title in 8 years to do? I think that's more than reasonable.

(Obviously I'm talking lifetime, but still, it should blast past it).

test_account

XP-39C²
I don't understand. You're saying an extra ~ 100k (1/4 of the total sales) of a remake is 'quite a bit' for the first brand new title in 8 years to do? I think that's more than reasonable.

(Obviously I'm talking lifetime, but still, it should blast past it).
Well, based on the previous sales data, it doesnt seem to be 500k+ fans of Persona willing to buy a new copy, but we'll see. I'm glad to be wrong in this case =)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
My main concern for Persona 5 would be that Persona 4 came out in July 2008 on the PS2 and Persona 4 Golden came out in June 2012 on the Vita.

Frankly there might be a lot of people who played and enjoyed the previous game that are no longer willing and/or capable of playing a game on a home console in 2016.

For everyone they've lost due to this, they'll have to basically sell new people on the franchise to not only replace them, but grow, and do so on an ancient PS3 and a notably struggling PS4.

Hopefully the PS4 exclusive Tales can be more of an reimagining to the series.

My main concern for Persona 5 would be that Persona 4 came out in July 2008 on the PS2 and Persona 4 Golden came out in June 2012 on the Vita.

Frankly there might be a lot of people who played and enjoyed the previous game that are no longer willing and/or capable of playing a game on a home console in 2016.

For everyone they've lost due to this, they'll have to basically sell new people on the franchise to not only replace them, but grow, and do so on an ancient PS3 and a notably struggling PS4.

Thats just Japan though, i think P5 will be the breakout game for the series in the west and it will more than make up for any failure in the japanese market.

I hope so at least.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Thats just Japan though, i think P5 will be the breakout game for the series in the west and it will more than make up for any failure in the japanese market.

I hope so at least.

In the West I feel there's been tons and tons of signs that the core audience actually keeps buying dedicated devices (specifically home consoles) as they get older (or move to a pretty equivalent platform like a gaming PC), but this is the Media Create thread and the current discussion is about what Persona 5's Japanese LTD might end up at, so my points are going to revolve around Japan. :p

Sandfox

This game will be interesting to follow.

I hope so at least.

I don't really know what to expect from Persona 5 in the west because it's basically a niche JRPG with a bugdet and potentially good writing lol.

Oregano

Generally the solution to plummeting sales is to make better games, but Namco is a publisher who simply abandons series well before they'd ever spend more money making them.

Soul Calibur got flung off a cliff when it started running into trouble despite being one of their biggest series, and they seem to have put in zero additional development budget for XenoVerse 2 despite the first shipping over 3 million copies.

It's hard for me to see a future for anything the company does given how they handle their products. They seem more interested in just rotating through licenses at a cheap cost and coasting until they move on to the next thing once the products become non-viable.

Harada seems to be the primary exception in that he can get some budget for his pet projects, presumably because they really don't want to lose him.

I think they did a good job revitalising interest with Xillia. It also seemed like they played it off as a soft reboot even though it was actually probably lower budget.

Hopefully the PS4 exclusive Tales can be more of an reimagining to the series.

They could/should switch to UE4 so they can have the appearance of higher production values.

I think people genuinely underestimate that as a factor due to the fact that this is predominately western, console focused site. I mean they can always make up for it with a portable version
on mobile.

Yep, and it's only a pure personal impression based on nothing but I think the best landing spot for Persona 5 was one year ago, maybe even before that. Atlus have let people waited too long. I think it will be big, but not very big as it could have been.

I think it may be true for the US, but for Europe it's important to understand that Segatlus lost the opportunity to grow Persona by not doing any translation in french, german, spanish and italian. The EU version will be the exact same as the US one, with english voices and text. By comparison, every Tales of have EFIGS translation (even Hearts R !) and Final Fantasy XV will get the first french dub ever for a Final Fantasy.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't really know what to expect from Persona 5 in the west because it's basically a niche JRPG with a bugdet and potentially good writing lol.

I'm expecting people to be disappointed with the month 1 numbers for Persona 5's Western release, but notably more impressed with the numbers at the end of year 2.

Persona 4 moved a lot of its copies at $20, where it starts really hitting that sweet spot for a smaller, plotline based game. It's a much easier comparison to look at Persona 5 next to The Walking Dead Season 3 than it is sitting on the shelf next to For Honor, Horizon, Mass Effect, and all the hottest hits of Fall 2016 at a $20-$40 discount.

radcliff

For the Tales series, the games tend to do well on Nintendo platforms in the west. I can see a future where Bandai Namco makes the series multi-platform and localizes more titles to reap the benefits of higher oversees sales. I know Baba has said otherwise in the past, but these latest figures and projections may make him take a second look at Nintendo platforms.

For the Tales series, the games tend to do well on Nintendo platforms in the west. I can see a future where Bandai Namco makes the series multi-platform and localizes more titles to reap the benefits of higher oversees sales. I know Baba has said otherwise in the past, but these latest figures and projections may make him take a second look at Nintendo platforms.

I think it's the most logical direction. The Sony versions target Japan, the Nintendo ones target the west. The series can exist on both worldwide no problem.

Baba just has trouble seeing that I guess. He seems to not care about Symphonia's huge and still untouched success in the west on GC. I don't know why.

Graces I think could've decided it once and for all if they localized both, including the vanilla Wii version. As long as it was cheaper ($10 or more cheaper than the PS3 version) and was 100% polished (without any of the problems that affected the JP release), I think it would've been a fair competition.

Actually DOTNW was $39.99 IIRC when it came out. That would've been perfect for Graces Wii. It was $59.99 on PS3 right?

Sterok

The Etrian Odyssey series (which is also Atlus) don't necessarily do a ton better with new games compared to remakes, so I don't think there's a guarantee that P5 will be significantly up from P4G.

I'm expecting people to be disappointed with the month 1 numbers for Persona 5's Western release, but notably more impressed with the numbers at the end of year 2.

Persona 4 moved a lot of its copies at $20, where it starts really hitting that sweet spot for a smaller, plotline based game. It's a much easier comparison to look at Persona 5 next to The Walking Dead Season 3 than it is sitting on the shelf next to For Honor, Horizon, Mass Effect, and all the hottest hits of Fall 2016 at a $20-$40 discount.

wait, it did?
where's the receipts

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
wait, it did?
where's the receipts

Maybe I misinterpreted the results, but the last sales report we got was 700,000 in December 2013, which is after when they started doing $20 sales.

The Japanese version (physical plus digital) only hit 350,000 in April 2014.

However, the December 2012 NPD lifetime (second month) results were only somewhat above 50K.

It's not like this series is super stacked in Europe either, and it would be pretty surprising if everyone ran out and bought 150-200K more copies in the US at full price after the holiday season had ended when it only did 1/3rd to 1/4th that up until that point.

That or maybe they just super, super flooded the market with copies that are still around on store shelves everywhere.

Oregano

There probably is an audience on Nintendo systems for Tales but I'm not sure Symphonia really has any bearing nowadays and I'm definitely not sure Nintendo platforms games would significantly outdo what the games currently sell now.

They maybe could have cultivated an audience after Symphonia but that was a long time ago.

There probably is an audience on Nintendo systems for Tales but I'm not sure Symphonia really has any bearing nowadays and I'm definitely not sure Nintendo platforms games would significantly outdo what the games currently sell now.

They maybe could have cultivated an audience after Symphonia but that was a long time ago.

DOTNW and Abyss 3DS still did well, especially Abyss (including the west some on GAF have said).

Oregano

DOTNW and Abyss 3DS still did well, especially Abyss (including the west some on GAF have said).

Right but they did well, not amazing (as Symphonia did) and its not like their sales blew away the last few on PS3(/PC).

Edit: Also Abyss bombed in Japan. Namco wanted 250k sales.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Hideo Baba:

giphy.gif

Pretty sure he is. I think his early success with Xillia blinded him and he only had one strategy going forward, which was to keep pumping out games as part of the main series for Sony consoles. Unfortunately the quality of the games he produced aren't that consistent and the series is also not showing much variety in its approach anymore. I think more and more people are starting to see it as generic as we see the continued decline in interest.

rhandino

Banned
YSO predictions

Good.

jJdcdav.gif

Watch them not learn their lesson for the next game and instead keep this messy path.

Namco-Bandai is a mess with their franchises T-T

If the NX is a single-screened device like we expect then more Japanese devs should look at going PS4/NX multiplatform. That's the only way these mid-tier franchises like Ys, Tales etc will survive. It makes very little sense anymore to make exclusives unless your game is extremely niche.

If the NX is a single-screened device like we expect then more Japanese devs should look at going PS4/NX multiplatform. That's the only way these mid-tier franchises like Ys, Tales etc will survive. It makes very little sense anymore to make exclusives unless your game is extremely niche.
Well, you have platform/userbase disparity and third party relations to consider but yeah, I agree. It doesn't really make much sense to keep things apart. It should be a team effort to do as much as they can to carry Japan.

Ōkami

1. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sushi - 88
  2. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Tempura - 77
  3. [3DS] Dragon Ball: Fusions - 76
  4. [3DS] Etrian Odyssey V: The End of the Long Myth - 49
  5. [3DS] Kirby: Planet Robobot - 36
  6. [WIU] Minecraft: Wii U Edition - 32
  7. [PSV] Toukiden 2 - 31
  8. [PS4] Ratchet & Clank - 28
  9. [3DS] Puzzle & Dragons X: Dragon Chapter - 26
  10. [3DS] Pokémon AlphaSapphire - 21
  11. [WIU] Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games - 20
  12. [PSV] Hoshiori Yume Mirai: Converted Edition - 20
  13. [3DS] Sumikko Gurashi: Mura o Tsukurundesu - 20
  14. [PS4] Toukiden 2 - 18
  15. [3DS] Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games - 18
  16. [3DS] Puzzle & Dragons X: God Chapter - 17
  17. [PS4] Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege - 14
  18. [3DS] Pokémon OmegaRuby - 14
  19. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition - 12
  20. [PS4] Ratchet & Clank [Limited Edition] - 12

Preorders
[3DS] Pokémon Sun / Moon - 633
[PS4] Final Fantasy XV - 213
[PS4] Tales of Berseria - 162
[PS4] Persona 5 - 141
[PS3] Tales of Berseria - 123
[PS3] Persona 5 - 41
[3DS] Monster Hunter Stories - 22
[PS4] Yakuza 6 - 22

Sandfox

I don't see how the single screen makes a difference when they could just put a map or menu on the bottom screen.

horuhe

Rakuten Books Sales Ranking Week 32, 2016 (Aug 08 - Aug 14)

01./03. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sushi <RPG> (Level 5)
02./04. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Tempura <RPG> (Level 5)
03./01. [3DS] Dragon Ball: Fusions <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games)
04./05. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sushi / Tempura Set <RPG> (Level 5)
05./06. [3DS] Kirby: Planet Robobot <ACT> (Nintendo)
06./00. [PS4] Ratchet & Clank <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment)
07./12. [3DS] Pokémon Omega Ruby <RPG> (Pokémon Co.)
08./08. [3DS] Pokémon Alpha Sapphire <RPG> (Pokémon Co.)
09./02. [3DS] Etrian Odyssey V: The End of the Long Myth <RPG> (Atlus)
10./16. [3DS] Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games <SPT> (Nintendo)
11./09. [WiiU] Minecraft: Wii U Edition <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios)
12./07. [PSV] Toukiden 2 <ACT> (Koei Tecmo)
13./00. [PS4] Ratchet & Clank (Ultra Special Limited Edition) <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment)
14./22. [WiiU] Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games <SPT> (Nintendo)
15./13. [3DS] Sumikko Gurashi: Mura o Tsukurundesu <ETC> (Nippon Columbia)
16./11. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment)
17./23. [WiiU] Splatoon <ACT> (Nintendo)
18./10. [PS4] Toukiden 2 <ACT> (Koei Tecmo)
19./15. [3DS] Puzzle & Dragons X: Dragon Chapter <RPG> (GungHo Online)
20./20. [3DS] Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns <SLG> (Marvelous)
21./33. [PS4] Overwatch <ACT> (Square Enix)
22./28. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V [New Price Edition] <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan)
23./29. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf [Nintendo Selects] <ETC> (Nintendo)
24./27. [3DS] Taiko Drum Master: Doko Don! Mystery Adventure <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games)
25./17. [PSV] Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana <RPG> (Nihon Falcom)
26./32. [WiiU] Splatoon # <ACT> (Nintendo)
27./14. [3DS] Puzzle & Dragons X: God Chapter <RPG> (GungHo Online)
28./31. [WiiU] Mario Kart 8 <RCE> (Nintendo)
29./26. [PS4] Dynasty Warriors: Ei Ketsu Den <ACT> (Koei Tecmo)
30./35. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo)

Rakuten Books Pre-Orders Ranking Week 32, 2016 (Aug 08 - Aug 14)

01./02. [PS4] Tales of Berseria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games)
02./05. [PS3] Tales of Berseria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games)
03./03. [PS4] Final Fantasy XV <RPG> (Square Enix)
04./01. [3DS] Pokémon Sun / Moon Set <RPG> (Pokémon Co.)
05./13. [PS4] No Man's Sky <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment)
06./04. [PS4] Persona 5 (20th Anniversary Edition) <RPG> (Atlus)
07./09. [PS4] Yakuza 6: Poetry of Life <ACT> (Sega)
08./08. [PS4] Persona 5 <RPG> (Atlus)
09./00. [3DS] Pokémon Sun / Moon Double Pack <RPG> (Pokémon Co.)
10./11. [PS4] Fate/Extella (Regalia Box) <ACT> (Marvelous)
11./07. [3DS] Pokémon Sun <RPG> (Pokémon Co.)
12./14. [PS4] The King of Fighters XIV (Limited Edition) <FTG> (SNK Playmore)
13./06. [3DS] Pokémon Moon <RPG> (Pokémon Co.)
14./19. [PSV] Collar x Malice <ADV> (Idea Factory)
15./17. [PS3] Persona 5 (20th Anniversary Edition) <RPG> (Atlus)
16./20. [PSV] Fate/Extella (Regalia Box) <ACT> (Marvelous)
17./18. [PS4] SD Gundam G Generation Genesis <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games)
18./23. [PS4] Gran Turismo: Sport (Limited Edition) <RCE> (Sony Computer Entertainment)
19./15. [PS4] Gravity Rush 2 (Limited Edition) <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment)
20./21. [PSV] World of Final Fantasy (Limited Edition) <RPG> (Square Enix)

Rakuten Books Sales Ranking Week 31, 2016 (Aug 01 - Aug 07)

* Note: Games on the Rakuten Books Rankings are only based on sales at Rakuten Books and does not count games sold by other retailers at Rakuten.
** Note 2: Games on the Pre-Orders Ranking are counted as net sales, so it might possibly affect the games listed on the Sales Ranking.

--------------------

Tales of Berseria is released this week and shops are advertising it.

Persona and Pokémon not only dominate pre-order charts, also pre-order stands.

PlayStation 4 is fully available at Santy Shop and Final Fantasy XV is still dated for September 30th.

Vena

I am going to be curious on how the second PC release performs, I was (if I recall) of the opinion that the first entry benefited from novelty. So will be curious to see if this is a good expectations or a poor one and future releases perform just as well or better.

That said, the decline and another to the pile seems set for 2016's butchering table.

Aters

I think it may be true for the US, but for Europe it's important to understand that Segatlus lost the opportunity to grow Persona by not doing any translation in french, german, spanish and italian. The EU version will be the exact same as the US one, with english voices and text. By comparison, every Tales of have EFIGS translation (even Hearts R !) and Final Fantasy XV will get the first french dub ever for a Final Fantasy.

That's confirmed? I thought they'd do more than that as they found a new publisher.

That's confirmed? I thought they'd do more than that as they found a new publisher.

Yes, confirmed here directly by Deep Silver, besides the press release.

Of course, Deep Silver is not to blame here, they are just publishing the game for EU territories at the last moment, it all comes down to the initial lack of vision from Sega. For once, I wish SIEE draw inspiration from Nintendo when it comes to localize third party franchise (Nintendo Europe translates Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest or Level-5 stuff).

Top Bottom