• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 31, 2016 (Aug 01 - Aug 07)

Vena

So assuming Final Fantasy XV does release in 2016, will Pokemon eat its lunch, or will the separate ecosystem keep it safe?

If it honestly releases in November as slated... yes Pokemon will eat into it. I don't know if it will "eat its lunch" to the limits of that proverb but it will certainly impact part of its buying populace. Both are premiere jRPGs with one being considerably more "premiere" than the the other nowadays, and Pokemon has been resoundingly positive with its changes and current on-goings.

But how much it will eat into it is a different matter. It could be very minor, to the point of irrelevancy, or it could be noticeable. Used market being strong and FFXV being single-player means there's no real rush if you are otherwise engaged in a different product. And the I'd wager that most everyone who owns a PS4 probably owns a 3DS if they are j/RPG fans.

Frankly, the last time I thought Tales of was actually good was when Microsoft seemingly paid for it. Which makes me wonder if Microsoft had input on the title or if Bamco was trying to impress given the coffers available back then for such a project, or both I guess.

Like I mentioned in my post, I think all the post-Vesperia games get certain things right and from a personal point of view, Xillia 2 very nearly got everything right. But that's the point - it's fragmented, so Xillia got the combat right but missed the story and dungeon design; Zestiria vastly improved the dungeons but the story & combat suffered.

They really need one game that pulls it all together again to get people back into the series and I don't think that game is on the horizon at present.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If Pascal is a valid rumor, the NX is going to be above and beyond the needs of any modern engine and probably above the HD-twins and their successors in terms of strictly built-in feature-sets on the die since it will carry neither the burden of a Jaguar APU (or accommodating it) or of limitations by GCN ~1.1~1.2. The NX will probably be the only machine for years that is going to support FP16, of course only exclusives or first party titles would ever use this functionality as everything else will be built on FP32-only to accommodate the twins.

(This is speaking strictly in terms of on-paper fixed functionality, of course, since the actual TDPs of the machines will be orders of magnitude different and as such so will their throughput.)

Modern engines won't be a problem unless they have a minreq cap that doesn't fit, and haven't we already heard buzz on Nintendo pushing for them from the get-go? I mean, that'd be the logical path of approach.
In general, engines aren't the part that is going to be the issue. Basically every major piece of middleware supports modern mobile chips, and this is effectively a mobile device hardware wise.

Games on the other hand have their own stack of requirements (generally in terms of raw power and/or memory capacity) that can be far beyond what is needed to be compatible with the engine (which is usually more about hardware feature set these days).

A system can be compatible with Frostbite, but not powerful enough to run Mass Effect: Andromeda satisfactorily.

So assuming Final Fantasy XV does release in 2016, will Pokemon eat its lunch, or will the separate ecosystem keep it safe?

I expect it to underperform on its own merits.

Vena

A system can be compatible with Frostbite, but not powerful enough to run Mass Effect: Andromeda satisfactorily.

No argument, I was more or less just saying that "Unlike the 3DS or WiiU, all engines will and should be supported out of the gate". Whatever happens after that is entirely up to the project as noted in the fact that the NX is likely to be the only machine to market able to take advantage of FP16 but this will be entirely project dependent.

They really need one game that pulls it all together again to get people back into the series and I don't think that game is on the horizon at present.

As noted, I have to wonder if having someone looking over their shoulder didn't lead to Vesperia being as good as it was rather than suffering from the current trappings of the Tales of games. Or perhaps now they are more rushed to get them done?

MacTag

Banned
As noted, I have to wonder if having someone looking over their shoulder didn't lead to Vesperia being as good as it was rather than suffering from the current trappings of the Tales of games. Or perhaps now they are more rushed to get them done?
It might have something to do with the reorg in closing Namco Tales Studio and absorbing it into Bandai Namco Studios? That seemed to coincide with Xillia's release so maybe the game was caught up in the transition and cut short due to it?

I also recall Vesperia being the last game from the Team Symphonia leads, with Graces being the last from the Team Destiny leads before everything was fully integrated for Xillia. Maybe that mixing of everything had a net negative impact too?

Kanann

About FFXV, don't forget our beloved FFXIII drop on bargain bin quietly fast too. So, customers can play Pokemon wait for that moment.

I am actually quite confused here lol. Why can Monolith Soft come out with a much better graphics for Xeno X here vs Tales when Tales had such a headstart on HD development. It just does not make sense. It should not be budget problem too especially when Nintendo themselves does not give Xeno X the AAA budget there. They seems to operate on much smaller budget from Iwata Ask. Is it simple incompetent by Baba team?T_T

I would laugh so hard if knowing Xillia or Zestiria which has a similar budget of XCX.
TRUE HD TALES! OPEN FIELD!

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Well kinda hard to know without knowing most regions. If I remember right in US it did about 200k first month (retail) and in Japan something like 150k (?). Add in EU and rest of the world and some digital sales and I am not sure it was ''massively'' overshipped if retailers had something like 200-300k copies worldwide unsold after like first month.

The game dropped in price almost immediately. You don't need more evidence that it was overshipped, neither are 200-300k after first month unsold copies from the initial shipment a small number.

Oregano

Yes, these kinds of things happen way in advance.

For example, if Bandai Namco wanted to use UE4 for their games and wanted them to be on the NX, they would have simply asked Epic to port the engine when they first found out about the system.

Epic does this with a pretty low amount of requests as well. The Vita and the Wii U got ports of Unreal Engine 3 despite only a few developers asking for it up front. The inbound requests have to be pretty abysmal for them to not engage with a platform (or severe technical hurdles like the 3DS).

That said, Unreal Engine 4 recently hit over 2 million developers, so they could have even just done the port without large publisher requests for their (overwhelmingly large) indie community who might want to release games on it.

You guys might be right but I kind of doubt the bolded because there's plenty of Indie developers who would love UE4 on Vita and Wii U. The fact that Armature is having to port it for the Iga game says a lot.

Ōkami

Battlefield 4 and Hardline are once again with massive discounts on the PSN Store, you can buy both for less than $10.

Sale ends right before the Battlefield 1 beta starts, guess they want to get as many people as possible interested.

casiopao

About FFXV, don't forget our beloved FFXIII drop on bargain bin quietly fast too. So, customers can play Pokemon wait for that moment.

I would laugh so hard if knowing Xillia or Zestiria which has a similar budget of XCX.
TRUE HD TALES! OPEN FIELD!

It will damn scary for S-E there. Considering Pokemon interest is on the top right now. I can see Pokemon eating a bit of FF pies there. Not to mention, FFXV itself is not really having a good time with fans now.T_T

Lol. I really feel here that Tales should try to reconsider what makes a Tales game fun. They should try focus on the three pillar which is Story, Battle System and Character once again.

Or maybe, Tales team should try looking from other game (Except Star Ocean V lol.) and try upgrading the game philosophy so that it will be more attractive to modern fans.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
You guys might be right but I kind of doubt the bolded because there's plenty of Indie developers who would love UE4 on Vita and Wii U. The fact that Armature is having to port it for the Iga game says a lot.

Those don't have Shader Model 5, so they have to put in a lot of extra effort for a few low return customers, not to mention the raw hardware capabilities being well under the recommended level. This by comparison is a setup where NVIDIA is working in tandem with them to promote their mobile hardware line even regardless of this deal.

Basically my assessment is that this one is business attractive to Epic and not a lot of effort on their current stack, even if my expectations of general support for the system from developers is way less optimistic.

Sterok

Why does Namco have seemingly no ambitions with their games? They're financially stable enough to take risks, they've got solid fanbases and talent, and several of their franchises have room to grow/return to their former glory. Are they just satisfied with what they have now?

randomkid

namco should just get the tales team to start making some sort of licensed rpg series instead. not only would we get the return of cool random things like sailor moon and samurai showdown rpgs but there would be no more tales games. win win.

Ōkami;213699831 said:
Will be interesting to see if Sega moves Yakuza 6 away from FFXV, even if it's just one more week.

Your avi makes my heart skip a beat.

Every time I see it I think some explosive Nintendo news came out. It's the same avi from an old user who used to post all the Nintendo juicy info.

casiopao

namco should just get the tales team to start making some sort of licensed rpg series instead. not only would we get the return of cool random things like sailor moon and samurai showdown rpgs but there would be no more tales games. win win.

Ahhhhh that Tales of Keroro. One of the best Jrpg on DS which still uses the 2D battle system.T_T That game is the GOAT. Hell, why won't Tales Team actually make some game with 2D battle system on handheld here anymore.T_T I really like Hearts on DS here.(I really don't like the move to 3D here.T_T)

Why does Namco have seemingly no ambitions with their games? They're financially stable enough to take risks, they've got solid fanbases and talent, and several of their franchises have room to grow/return to their former glory. Are they just satisfied with what they have now?

Namco had always been the company where they love to milk their franchise with minimum effort lol.

See Soul Calibur, SD Gundam series, and now Tales. All just keep milking the same game till they burn out of fans and then shove them into the ground.

lherre

Accurate
Tales need more budget and time between releases.

I bought Abyss, Graces, Xillia 1 (and played 2, Vesperia, etc) but I haven't bought Zestiria yet since I don't see any incentive to do it.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Yup, the Fifa model with dropping a new game every 12 months just doesnt work for such story based J-RPGs. They really need some space between the games ..at this point all of the main characters look the same too me and if i dont care about one of the games i wont care about the upcoming. Just the same shit all over again.

Lets hope they figure something out before we are back to Wii Tales of sales.

Sandfox

It will damn scary for S-E there. Considering Pokemon interest is on the top right now. I can see Pokemon eating a bit of FF pies there. Not to mention, FFXV itself is not really having a good time with fans now.T_T

Lol. I really feel here that Tales should try to reconsider what makes a Tales game fun. They should try focus on the three pillar which is Story, Battle System and Character once again.

Or maybe, Tales team should try looking from other game (Except Star Ocean V lol.) and try upgrading the game philosophy so that it will be more attractive to modern fans.

Let's not pretend that story was ever a focus for this series or even a lot of other popular jrpgs lol.

casiopao

Yeah, I loved that game. Few played it (or even know about it), but it's a hidden gem for sure.

Sadness here that Keroro is not that famous anymore.T_T

Well, Bamco should allow Tales team to help their anime team here to make some of their anime game being much more playable here.T_T Some of their anime title is just sadly bad.

I would love to see Toriko with Tales gameplay lol. KUGI PUNCH SPAM.^_^

Let's not pretend that story was ever a focus for this series or even a lot of other popular jrpgs lol.

I am not asking for Oscar worthy story though.T_T Give me acceptable story+ Great battle System(2D plizzzz) and fun character, we already got our favorite Tales,^^

Sandfox

Sadness here that Keroro is not that famous anymore.T_T

Well, Bamco should allow Tales team to help their anime team here to make some of their anime game being much more playable here.T_T Some of their anime title is just sadly bad.

I would love to see Toriko with Tales gameplay lol. KUGI PUNCH SPAM.^_^

I am not asking for Oscar worthy story though.T_T Give me acceptable story+ Great battle System(2D plizzzz) and fun character, we already got our favorite Tales,^^

Every Tales game is basically about the same thing with the difference being whatever gives the cast their powers and how that leads to the inevitable war lol. There was even a point where people where joking about all of the final villians looking similar and it's probably true to this day. I agree with your conclusion though.

Japan is different from outside region. Shipped does not guarantee sold to retailers outside of Japan.

I am actually quite confused here lol. Why can Monolith Soft come out with a much better graphics for Xeno X here vs Tales when Tales had such a headstart on HD development. It just does not make sense. It should not be budget problem too especially when Nintendo themselves does not give Xeno X the AAA budget there. They seems to operate on much smaller budget from Iwata Ask. Is it simple incompetent by Baba team?T_T

What? Wasn't XCX one of nintendo's most expensive games to date, which still flopped by the way?

Tales team seem to working on a minuscule budget to be able to pump out these games almost yearly and with little improvement. Comparing Xillia to Berseria its hard to say there's been a 5 year gap between the two.

Kanann

After trying Tales of Berseria demo, I think grim future await this series too like other jRPGs.
Game play (fighting mechanic) is still decent, but re-use this re-use that, low quality here and there, shitty models and motion capture from cheap outsource, extremely animu tropes's conversation that beyond my age, etc.. Maybe this is the last Tales I buy (first 1995 ToP).

See ya again if they return to 2D sprites.

casiopao

What? Wasn't XCX one of nintendo's most expensive games to date, which still flopped by the way?

Tales team seem to working on a minuscule budget to be able to pump out these games almost yearly and with little improvement. Comparing Xillia to Berseria its hard to say there's been a 5 year gap between the two.

Where did u hear that? I remember from Iwata Ask, their budget is not that big compared to many other AAA Rpg game so it is surely smaller here.(Not sure vs Tales team though but it sure is not one of the most expensive Ninty title. That is for Zelda:BOTW)

And how can it flopped if it outperform the original XC in one month in NPD?

After trying Tales of Berseria demo, I think grim future await this series too like other jRPGs.
Game play (fighting mechanic) is still decent, but re-use this re-use that, low quality here and there, shitty models and motion capture from cheap outsource, extremely animu tropes's conversation that beyond my age, etc.. Maybe this is the last Tales I buy (first 1995 ToP).

See ya again if they return to 2D sprites.

Considering how expensive is 2D sprites, i think u are just going to miss Tales forever sadly.T_T And i agree with ur problem there. I don't like 3D first. And second, the models and motion capture is still so poor and some of the world is just bland.T_T

Sandfox

All we know is that in the Iwata Ask casiopao is referring to Iwata stated:
It's quite understandable that there is such high anticipation for this game, especially after you've accomplished quite a bit in the last game Xenoblade Chronicles1. So I'm assuming that you've challenged yourselves with the limited time and budget to create something that players will be satisfied with.
I don't think we ever heard any reports about it being one of Nintendo's most expensive games.

Fisico

There was no one involved in the creative process besides Bandai-Namco and also Microsoft involvement probably wasn't as big as some here think it was eg. there was no free money given to publish Vesperia on 360 but most likely only incentives and marketing help for the American market (and none whatsoever in EMEA)
However Vesperia is the last title directed by Yoshito Higuchi and his team (basically Team Symphonia) which moved to Smash Bros afterwards and nothing ever since apparently.

I'd like to think that he may be involved in the near future in some new IP, a God Eater project more akin to home consoles or a new Tales but so far there's nothing to talk about

Tales need more budget and time between releases.

Time is not the problem here.

2009: Graces
2011 : Xillia
2012 : Xillia 2
2015 : Zestiria
2016 : Berseria

Hell, why won't Tales Team actually make some game with 2D battle system on handheld here anymore.T_T I really like Hearts on DS here.(I really don't like the move to 3D here.T_T)

Because Keroro RPG sold less than a fifth of what Hearts did, and Hearts was a dissapointment sales wise and the very reason there won't be mothership titles in 2D anymore.

I also recall Vesperia being the last game from the Team Symphonia leads, with Graces being the last from the Team Destiny leads before everything was fully integrated for Xillia. Maybe that mixing of everything had a net negative impact too?

Many senior staff from the early Tales studio days simply dissapeared post Graces, the Tales team size was most likely reduced from 100-120 to 60-70 (basically from two to a single team), Zestiria also had a lot of outsourced work and it was confirmed that Berseria's development began late 2014 so right when they finished Zestiria.
So yeah they're going at it the cheap way

Also Baba is mostly a PR representative and will probably stay MIA for a long time after the Rose-Alisha debacle embrace our new Fukaya overlord

casiopao

Because Keroro RPG sold less than a fifth of what Hearts did, and Hearts was a dissapointment sales wise and the very reason there won't be mothership titles in 2D anymore.

Many senior staff from the early Tales studio days simply dissapeared post Graces, the Tales team size was most likely reduced from 100-120 to 60-70 (basically from two to a single team), Zestiria also had a lot of outsourced work and it was confirmed that Berseria's development began late 2014 so right when they finished Zestiria.

Also Baba is mostly a PR representative and will probably stay MIA for a long time after the Rose-Alisha debacle embrace our new Fukaya overlord

Well, then they should learn on how to budget their game properly then. I really can't see how Keroro Tales would consume such huge budget here. If they are able to get some popular anime IP and then combined them with Tales 2D battle system, i think they can sold quite a good amount there.

Tales of Arslan would be my wet dream though lol.^_^

More serious here though, i am still quite confused that Bamco does not make Tales with all Idolmaster CG characters here. Considering how much spinoff they had that makes the idols into some kind of rpg characters, i feel they are missing a lot here.T_T

Guess, the main problem of Tales is not time but more on budget and of course lack of talent.

Aki-at

Ōkami;213699831 said:
Will be interesting to see if Sega moves Yakuza 6 away from FFXV, even if it's just one more week.

They were fine with having Persona face off against FFXV so I doubt they'll consider moving it.

(Delay it by a year so the Western release schedule will finally match up)

Brocken

Banned
Are we really having a discussion about moving the Tales fanbase across platforms on the basis of these numbers?

Yes, it's the typical fanfiction that Nintendo fans like to believe before a new system is on the market, a fairy tales like the one's of every third parties are on board or it's impossible for Wii U to don't dominate Japan.

Oregano

Those don't have Shader Model 5, so they have to put in a lot of extra effort for a few low return customers, not to mention the raw hardware capabilities being well under the recommended level. This by comparison is a setup where NVIDIA is working in tandem with them to promote their mobile hardware line even regardless of this deal.

Basically my assessment is that this one is business attractive to Epic and not a lot of effort on their current stack, even if my expectations of general support for the system from developers is way less optimistic.

True, I think it's pretty likely that NX will have UE4 support.

There was no one involved in the creative process besides Bandai-Namco and also Microsoft involvement probably wasn't as big as some here think it was eg. there was no free money given to publish Vesperia on 360 but most likely only incentives and marketing help for the American market (and none whatsoever in EMEA)
However Vesperia is the last title directed by Yoshito Higuchi and his team (basically Team Symphonia) which moved to Smash Bros afterwards and nothing ever since apparently.

I'd like to think that he may be involved in the near future in some new IP, a God Eater project more akin to home consoles or a new Tales but so far there's nothing to talk about.

If Sakurai is really done With Smash Bros I'd put Higuchi as the frontrunner for director role.

Yes, it's the typical fanfiction that Nintendo fans like to believe before a new system is on the market, a fairy tales like the one's of every third parties are on board or it's impossible for Wii U to don't dominate Japan.

Wii U is still best selling home console with best selling home console game.#domination

/S

Fisico

If Sakurai is really done With Smash Bros I'd put Higuchi as the frontrunner for director role.

Isn't that a running gag with Sakurai ? Pretty sure I heard he was done with Smash Bros after Melee, then after Brawl etc.

Higuchi was also the Smash Bros director this time, but he wasn't involved in the post release plans meaning that he was done with the game in Summer 2014.

He would be a good contender though, but I'm not sure that's what he wants to do right now as he still seems very involved with Tales and God Eater (most of his twitter account is made up of rt and stuff related to these IP)

Aters

Wii U is still best selling home console with best selling home console game.#domination

/S

But it was released a year earlier, and it's dying now.

I do think Namco should pay more attention to NX, but it has nothing to do with Nintendo fans. You can see Nintendo fans' passion for JRPG from the sales of Xenoblade and #FE. NX will succeed as a 3rd party platform because it will be the only handheld in the market, and hardcore Nintendo fans won't make much contribution.

saichi

It'll be funny if Persona 5 ends up selling like 350k or so, and everyone cries bomba, when it would still be a really good result compared with 3 and 4. I think it could definitely do 500k or more, but it's not a given, and expectations seem to be through the roof now.

The expectation certainly came down quite a lot after a year delay. Last year people were expecting 500K first week or even have a chance to hit one mil. And there was "definitely will outsell Splatoon in 2015" talk while Splatoon was projected to sell at least 750K.

The argument was that even a remake on VITA sold 400K (and the dance game sold well and the fighting sold well). The popularity has grown over the years and it's a brand new main entry in years! Not saying that it will follow the same path but YW2 third version sold well, Buster sold well, Youkai Sangokushi sold well but YW3 massively underperformed.

MacTag

Banned

That's sad to hear. Sounds like Tales Studio really got destroyed in the integration with BN Studios. It makes me wonder how other Bandai and Namco teams fared in the move? Is this why we've seen franchises like Ridge Racer and Soulcalibur vanish?

Well, Tales has done better on 3DS than PS4 or Vita so far. :p

More seriously though I think it's generally acknowledged that platform choice isn't the issue in Japan, it's the recycled content and low quality of the games themselves that are leading to the sales decline. Nintendo platforms only really enter the conversation when talking about missed western opportunities as the series tends to overperform with Nintendo's audience in the west. And even then it's more historical than current or future looking, ie: things like Abyss GC, Graces Wii or Symphonia 3DS might've been worth doing if only for the west. NX isn't going to save Tales.

Asd202

But it was released a year earlier, and it's dying now.

I do think Namco should pay more attention to NX, but it has nothing to do with Nintendo fans. You can see Nintendo fans' passion for JRPG from the sales of Xenoblade and #FE. NX will succeed as a 3rd party platform because it will be the only handheld in the market, and hardcore Nintendo fans won't make much contribution.

Are you being sarcastic? Xenoblade did okay at best and #FE bombed.

MacTag

Banned
It was when the games weren't released on Sony platforms

Xillia was the biggest offender in lack of polish and recycling and yet it outsold both Vesperia and Graces combined which were legit fully fledged mothership titles (yes I'm talking about the OG 360 and Wii versions)
Sure, it's obvious where the fanbase was consolidated in Japan. But then off-base mothership games like Symphonia, Vesperia and Graces also got quick ports back to Playstation so it doesn't seem like much real damage was done in this regard. Where platform was an issue was more in squandered western opportunity.

The bad taste left by Xillia seems to be a much more pressing issue for the franchise now though. Tales is going from mid tier to niche.

Are you being sarcastic? Xenoblade did okay at best and #FE bombed.
For Wii bound JRPGs both Xenoblades did legitimately well in the west under their release circumstances. Although the better metric to judge the current Nintendo audience for JRPGs would probably be things like Bravely Default, SMTIV or FE Awakening imo.

casiopao

Well, seeing how bad the current Japanese market, it is more or less NX or death there lol.

If Tales want to sell, they probably should try making some title for NX and PS4 multiplat rather than being stubborn and only selling on PS platform.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Na, he was suggesting what you're saying. :p

That doesnt make any sense, being NX probably more a portable than anything.
Judge the JRPGS result on the ds and 3ds would probably be more fitting to the discussion.
I cant see a point of view for which going ps4 / nx (if nx will be a portable with moderate success able to rin UE4 and other shared assest) would not be seen as wise for many Japanese companies

Fisico

Sure, it's obvious where the fanbase was consolidated in Japan. But then off-base mothership games like Symphonia, Vesperia and Graces also got quick ports back to Playstation so it doesn't seem like much real damage was done in this regard. Where platform was an issue was more in squandered western opportunity.

It did.
Dozen of thousands of people bought the Wii and the 360 only to be told that an extended rerelease will happen on PS3 afterwards.
They already began to burn a lot of good will that way, afterwards there were the DLC costumes (which basically went from free content in game to half free content half DLC to next no free content full dlc), then the lack of polish and recycling content, for Zestiria the "lies" surrounding the female protagonist (as futile as it may seem it's something a lot of the fanbase really cared about as the Tales are not RPG but rather character playing games)

It's many "small" things during the past decade which led the Tales IP to where it (will) stand with Berseria in a few days/weeks with ups and down but a lot of (bad) strategic decisions that could have been avoided or at least handled more carefully.

MacTag

Banned
It did.
Dozen of thousands of people bought the Wii and the 360 only to be told that an extended rerelease will happen on PS3 afterwards.
They already began to burn a lot of good will that way, afterwards there were the DLC costumes (which basically went from free content in game to half free content half DLC to next no free content full dlc), then the lack of polish and recycling content, for Zestiria the "lies" surrounding the female protagonist (as futile as it may seem it's something a lot of the fanbase really cared about as the Tales are not RPG but rather character playing games)

It's many "small" things during the past decade which led the Tales IP to where it (will) stand with Berseria in a few days/weeks with ups and down but a lot of (bad) strategic decisions that could have been avoided or at least handled more carefully.
You'd think they'd have learned their lesson with Symphonia then. Vesperia and Graces especially weren't exactly a new pattern.

Given how well Xillia sold I just don't see how the previous platform jumping did any real lasting damage though. The issues more seem to extend from Xillia itself and the games that have followed.

Oregano

Isn't that a running gag with Sakurai ? Pretty sure I heard he was done with Smash Bros after Melee, then after Brawl etc.

Higuchi was also the Smash Bros director this time, but he wasn't involved in the post release plans meaning that he was done with the game in Summer 2014.

He would be a good contender though, but I'm not sure that's what he wants to do right now as he still seems very involved with Tales and God Eater (most of his twitter account is made up of rt and stuff related to these IP)

Yeah that's why I said if he actually leaves. As for whether Higuchi would want to do it... Well the Smash Bros gig would be hard to turn down I think.

In other news the leak that said FFXV is a trainwreck is looking plausible now. If the game isn't quality it's really going to hurt it's sales potential and the brand in general.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
A game being bad from a good franchise doesn't necessarily kill the sales of that game because of how front loaded game sales are. It can severely hurt the sales of the next game in the franchise though.

FF XV could be subject to both of those factors though given the reputation of FF XIII and XIV, well, XIV before they scrapped it and made a new game.

Top Bottom