• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 31, 2016 (Aug 01 - Aug 07)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
A game being bad from a good franchise doesn't necessarily kill the sales of that game because of how front loaded game sales are. It can severely hurt the sales of the next game in the franchise though.

FF XV could be subject to both of those factors though given the reputation of FF XIII and XIV, well, XIV before they scrapped it and made a new game.
Generally the way you kill your sales the hardest is having a game that people don't like or felt had major flaws and then following it up with a game that looks bad, uninteresting, and/or like it doesn't fix any of the problems or evolve the series in a meaningful way.

I could imagine a scenario where Japanese consumers weren't super thrilled with Final Fantasy XIII and then feel that Final Fantasy XV's open world action-rpg proposal isn't especially compelling.

That doesnt make any sense, being NX probably more a portable than anything.
Judge the JRPGS result on the ds and 3ds would probably be more fitting to the discussion.
I cant see a point of view for which going ps4 / nx (if nx will be a portable with moderate success able to rin UE4 and other shared assest) would not be seen as wise for many Japanese companies
I may have been wrong but that is what I figured he was getting at.

But yeah, I agree with you. I'm pro PS4/NX too. I think there will be other factors that will keep some franchises exclusive but I think the bulk of them should be multiplat. Bring some PS franchises over to Nintendo and bring some Nintendo over to PS.

MacTag

Banned
If NX/PS4 really does become a thing then we'll probably need to see 3DS and Vita/PS4 focused 3rd parties move to Unity and UE more. And not just the big publishers like SE or Capcom.

The game dropped in price almost immediately. You don't need more evidence that it was overshipped, neither are 200-300k after first month unsold copies from the initial shipment a small number.

Well maybe I am just used to these mega big AAA games shipping sometimes over 10 million units first week and not having sell trough anywhere near it during first month (like Fallout 4 or Battlefront last year).

Generally the way you kill your sales the hardest is having a game that people don't like or felt had major flaws and then following it up with a game that looks bad, uninteresting, and/or like it doesn't fix any of the problems or evolve the series in a meaningful way.

I could imagine a scenario where Japanese consumers weren't super thrilled with Final Fantasy XIII and then feel that Final Fantasy XV's open world action-rpg proposal isn't especially compelling.

FF XIII was hated for being too linear and FF XV will hated on being too open world. SE just can't win with FF nowadays ;)

Kanann

I think FF15 is linear enough to satisfy player, judging from leak and recent gameplay footage.

Example
Chaper X
Main: go from A to D
- B has fetch quests
- C has minigame
- D > boss
Chaper XX
Main: go from E to F
- E and F have fetch quests and sub event or secret dungeon
- F > boss
THE END

(too open world is Xenoblade X, gave me headache every time finding NPC, items, monsters bluuh!)

lherre

Accurate
If NX/PS4 really does become a thing then we'll probably need to see 3DS and Vita/PS4 focused 3rd parties move to Unity and UE more. And not just the big publishers like SE or Capcom.

Unity doesn't run very well on Ps4 or other platforms outside mobile ... it is not very optimized for them, so I hope they don't use Unity for anything outside small projects.

L~A

I think I can do it. Maybe I'll be 20 minutes late, though.

Btw, I think the blog is saying that Ratchet & Clank sold ~27k.

I think we'll survive the extra 20mn ;)

Nintendo eShop sales (August 8 - 14)

Nintendo 3DS

(+1) 01. Pokémon Yellow Version: Pikachu Special Version (Nintendo, Virtual Console) [27.2.2016]
(+1) 02. Pokémon Red Version (Nintendo, Virtual Console) [27.2.2016]
(+2) 03. Pokémon Blue Version (Nintendo, Virtual Console) [27.2.2016]
(+5) 04. Pokémon Green Version (Nintendo, Virtual Console) [27.2.2016]
(+2) 05. The Battle Cats POP (Ponos) [31.5.2015]
(+2) 06. Cube Creator 3D (Arc System Works) [15.7.2015]
(-6) 07. Etrian Odyssey V: The End of the Long Myth (Atlus) [04.8.2016]
(-4) 08. Dragon Ball Fusions (Bandai-Namco) [04.8.2016]
(N) 09. Panel de Pon (Nintendo, Virtual Console) [09.8.2016]
(-4) 10. 3D Puyo Puyo 2 (SEGA) [03.8.2016]

Wii U

(=) 01. Xenoblade Chronicles (Nintendo, Wii Download on Wii U) [27.7.2016]
(N) 02. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo, Wii Download on Wii U) [09.8.2016]
(N) 03. Kirby's Epic Yarn (Nintendo, Wii Download on Wii U) [09.8.2016]
(+1) 04. Minecraft: Wii U Edition (Microsoft Japan) [17.12.2015]
(-3) 05. Zero ~Makoto Kurenai no Chou (Nintendo, Wii Download on Wii U) [03.8.2016]
(-3) 06. Super Paper Mario (Nintendo, Wii Download on Wii U) [03.8.2016]
(-3) 07. Rhythm Heaven Fever / Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise (Nintendo, Wii Download on Wii U) [27.7.2016]
(B) 08. Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games (Nintendo) [23.6.2016]
(N) 09. The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (Nintendo, Virtual Console] [09.8.2016]
(=) 10. Dragon Quest X: Mezameshi Itsutsu no Shuzoku Online (Square-Enix) [30.3.2013]

https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/article/a3a3086b-5df5-11e6-9b38-063b7ac45a6d.html

L~A

Media Create:

New3DS LL 24,382
PS4 17,433
Vita 11,240
Wii U 5,593
New3DS 5,354
PS3 1,064
3DS 931
3DS LL 225
Xbox One 56

Ratchet and Clank: 27k
Yo-kai Watch 3: 92k (1 058 000 units since launch)

DKHF

Sad to see PS4 not back up to 20k. Hopefully it will pick up (and I think it will as I believe the dip is related to Obon).

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I may have been wrong but that is what I figured he was getting at.

But yeah, I agree with you. I'm pro PS4/NX too. I think there will be other factors that will keep some franchises exclusive but I think the bulk of them should be multiplat. Bring some PS franchises over to Nintendo and bring some Nintendo over to PS.

Just to Clarita, I am not expecting a HUGE third party support for NX even in Japan, even if it is portable

I just think that if the console can run many ps4 engines Looking at domestic actual sales of the 3ds it could make sense to try a ps4 / nx ruote for certain franchises

Working on it guys! :) Will be up once I get the Top 20 MC chart up (sans platforms sales, that will take quite a bit of time).

The rest will be added after over the next bit. :)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Just to Clarita, I am not expecting a HUGE third party support for NX even in Japan, even if it is portable

I just think that if the console can run many ps4 engines Looking at domestic actual sales of the 3ds it could make sense to try a ps4 / nx ruote for certain franchises

NX will get almost everything that's not mobile or western focused. It'll be the Vita+3DS.

Top Bottom