• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 31, 2017 (Jul 31 - Aug 06)

DrWong

Two claims ongoing now based on speculation.

Nintendo expected arms to be worthy of sequel. Seems reasonable and I agree.

Nintendo expected arms to be a long standing series like mario kart because the mario kart 8 devs worked on it.
I don't agree with that at all.
No. He didn't say that at fisrt, stop twisting things.

The important/relevanr part is "a long standing ip". He said like mk, he could have said like pikmin too. He confirmed it was what he meant. So erase "like mk" in his post if you want and we're good.

The Switch install base is still rather small - so it obv. limits everything but the biggest games right now. ARMS started out strong - everything else will be more clear 2-3 years from now. Its a Nintendo game after all.

We never see those 3DS titles show up in weekly charts worldwide or in NPD but when the fiscal year results come in many of them sell millions - its all about the legs for these type of games.

Expecting a new motion based(focus) fighting game to sell as or nearly as much as Mario Kart is crazy though, lets be realistic for a second.
I'm open to this interpretation -- I guess I expected it to sell more given the boom of the install base of the Switch recently. I also don't think that it was ever meant to be like Mario Kart.

Ōkami;245790586 said:
Oh, we've seen several examples already.

Dragon Ball Xenoverse, Watch Dogs, etc.

Well Watch Dogs 2 was hugely down also in west compared to original (even comparing PS4 versions alone). I don't think it's good example.

Bitanator

Hey! Pikmin sold decent all things considered, I would like to know the worldwide sales for it but I did not think it would break 100k in japan

test_account

XP-39C²
not like nintendo outlines expectations for many franchises outwardly anyway. Most of what we do here is speculation/inference. He said they had a high profile team working on it, had a large marketing push, and is the main franchise showing off the Switch's motion capabilities. It's not crazy to infer they wanted it to at least be successful enough for a sequel.

And how will anyone know what is around 20 years from now? But it's not like you have to be a sales juggarnaut to be a long lasting series.

Pikmin has never sold gangbusters,
Metroid has never
Star Fox barely sells since 64 (may need to check receipts)
Fire Emblem was barely alive until recently

The bar to last 20 years isn't that crazy. (and where did "20 years" even come from?)

this discussion is kinda, eh whatever....
I agree, the market will decide regardless and everyone hope that new IP will be successful. Of course expectations and work put into something are different, but still. My point is only that i dont think his follow up question is anything strange in this case.

20 years come from Mario Kart i guess. Just a number to show a long living serie.

ika

I think the PSV-WII U-PS4 vs switch is over now. Let's get real and compare the switch to the big ones.

55ORqC8.png
Yeah, this is the graph we need to update starting next week... Will be an amazing race to watch!

test_account

XP-39C²
Two claims ongoing now based on speculation.

Nintendo expected arms to be worthy of sequel. Seems reasonable and I agree.

Nintendo expected arms to be a long standing series like mario kart because the mario kart 8 devs worked on it.
I don't agree with that at all.
Fair enough. I have no idea what Nintendo expects from Arms. They are really trying to push it though, with tournaments in Japan and such.

No. He didn't say that at fisrt, stop twisting things.

The important/relevanr part is "a long standing ip". He said like mk, he could have said like pikmin too. He confirmed it was what he meant. So erase "like mk" in his post if you want and we're good.
I think he means the two claims are from two different persons.

D.Lo

Agreed, though I don't think we'll ever see a Wii level success story in Japan again.
I am very confident Switch will outsell the Wii in Japan at this point. It's on a winning machine trajectory, its sales are based on its core concept (not a gimmick that could burn out) and it would need a catastrophe to not beat the Wii.

Yeah, my read on these ARMS numbers are that it'll do alright in the end, we'll probably get a sequel, but we have to see what happens going forward. Probably a B-tier franchise for Nintendo going forward ala Pikmin.

I'd say a sequel is all but guaranteed, but it's going to need to be a more robust offering than the first game. I adore ARMS, but I totally get why it isn't resonating with a lot of people. It's a very light package.

Agreed, though I don't think we'll ever see a Wii level success story in Japan again.

The Switch will outsell the Wii in Japan.

suicreeps

I feel like switch is going to hit that Plus Ultra that no one except for god has seen himself. You can quote me on this.

I guess a metaphor would be like a Detroit Smash and a Falcon punch hitting each other.

Fukuzatsu

Well, I'm saying it. And I feel very confident in my prediction.

Both PSP and 3DS went on to outsell Wii, by the way.

I realise that, I'm just saying it's worth considering that PSP, DS, and 3DS all began at more accessible price points than the Switch, and before anyone starts predicting this thing is going to sell over 12mil that perhaps they should give it a solid year first.

Welfare

I realise that, I'm just saying it's worth considering that PSP, DS, and 3DS all began at more accessible price points than the Switch, and before anyone starts predicting this thing is going to sell over 12mil that perhaps they should give it a solid year first.
But if Switch is selling this well to begin with at a higher price point, when it eventually hits those lower prices, shouldn't it sell more for longer?

Switch's current price point is doing absolutely nothing to harm its place in the market. Also, price drops are a thing.

Fukuzatsu

But if Switch is selling this well to begin with at a higher price point, when it eventually hits those lower prices, shouldn't it sell more for longer?

Well that depends on when they drop the price and by how much, though obviously a cheaper Switch will almost always sell better than a more expensive one.

It's selling very well right now, and so was the Wii, but as you saw with the Wii, that can drop off. Another thing to remember is that while a big part of "the Wii's successful legacy" is that fat 100mil figure for WW sales, Switch may not do as well as that did in the rest of the world.

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt.

There's no question that Switch will outsell Wii in Japan. Its real competition LT is PSP and 3DS.

D.Lo

Seems kind of early to say that when it's currently in line with the PSP and pre-boost 3DS, regardless of the Wii's eventual dropoff.
Switch would be at Wii level, despite launching in March, if there was stock.

DS and Wii were both severely supply constrained as well though at points. All consoles with top velocity were held back by supply, not demand, for large periods of time.

Well that depends on when they drop the price and by how much, though obviously a cheaper Switch will almost always sell better than a more expensive one.

It's selling very well right now, and so was the Wii, but as you saw with the Wii, that can drop off. Another thing to remember is that while a big part of "the Wii's successful legacy" is that fat 100mil figure for WW sales, Switch may not do as well as that did in the rest of the world.

We're not talking about the rest of the world. My original statement was very clear about this, in fact.

Yes, the Switch could see a Wii-level dropoff. That's possible. I'm not expecting it, as we haven't seen that happen with a Nintendo portable anytime recently (if ever) and as the Switch is a hybrid device (both portable and home console) and most likely Nintendo's only dedicated piece of hardware beyond 2018, I'm not worried about a Wii-level decline in Japan.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english

The Switch won't have the issues of the Wii where:

1) They had to juggle with multiple platforms at once;
2) Not being supported by quality 3rd party support.

The console is now being sold at a premium pricing of 30,000 Yen. They can easily bring that price down through the years with hardware revisions and what not. Also, although the Switch doesn't (yet?) have a title like Wii Sports, the concentrated efforts of their console + handheld teams on a single platform should make the difference. The Switch lifespan is going to be much longer than the Wii.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
The Switch won't have the issues of the Wii where:

1) They had to juggle with multiple platforms at once;
2) Not being supported by quality 3rd party support.

The console is now being sold at a premium pricing of 30,000 Yen. They can easily bring that price down through the years with hardware revisions and what not.

Wii had much better third party support than the Switch thus far. It had an exclusive ground up Final Fantasy and Monster Hunter in comparison.

Wii had much better third party support than the Switch thus far. It had an exclusive ground up Final Fantasy and Monster Hunter in comparison.

Neither of those games came out within the first 5 months of the Wii.

Also let's not act like The Crystal Bearers was a huge deal. It certainly wasn't FFXIII.

D.Lo

*Guaraná;245805524 said:
theres no way Switch can keep up with the 3DS now. but that's not saying it will be a failure.
Only due to supply.

Wii had those within five months of release?

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Neither of those games came out within the first 5 months of the Wii.

Also let's not act like The Crystal Bearers was a huge deal. It certainly wasn't FFXIII.

Didn't say the Wii had best third party support ever just that it had more third party retail games announced / promised at this point than the Switch.

Wii had those within five months of release?

Poster above specifically mentioned the Switch won't have lack of third party games like Wii. I'm just arguing Wii had a fair amount of third party support.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I had to search for a FF title on the Wii... Wasn't aware of a FF:CC game for the console lol. Overall, the Wii had decent 3rd parties surport in the beginning to the middle of the console's lifespan. Most of them left around the time the hype surrounding motion control died. I just don't see this happening with the Switch. Look at all the decent title (mainly from indies) being announced daily for the Switch. It's a platform that can host games that can also be made for PC/PS4/XONE/Mobile, unlike the Wii on which games almost had to be made specifically for the platform.

Fisico

It's so weird to me that they think this would alienate western ace attorney buyers. Does it have enough mainstream crossover for Japanese settings to be a deal-breaker? Surely everyone who still buys ace attorney is basically a weaboo and would be thrilled to get their feudal Japan on?

Small correction but Meiji era ain't feudal Japan.

Serious question? It would seems to me like a no-braindrain that Splatoon 2 outsell DQXI PS4, quite possibly even DQXI PS4 + 3DS.

First let's wait for Splatoon 2 to outsold DQXI 3DS and see how early that happen (most likely by the end of the year), early next year we'll talk about that 3.2-3.5M retail milestone and if Splatoon 2 will reach it.

Didn't say the Wii had best third party support ever just that it had more third party retail games announced / promised at this point than the Switch.

That's not what you said though. You said it had better third party support up to this point, and then mentioned The Crystal Bearers, which released in 2009, and Monster Hunter Tri, which also released in 2009. And MH Tri was announced in October 2007, so even if we go by titles that were announced by this time it wouldn't count.

I don't even doubt that the Wii probably had better third party support at this point, but using those examples is stretching it lol. I'm sure a year from now the Switch's situation regarding third parties will be significantly improved.

D.Lo

First let's wait for Splatoon 2 to outsold DQXI 3DS and see how early that happen (most likely by the end of the year), early next year we'll talk about that 3.2-3.5M retail milestone and if Splatoon 2 will reach it.
S2 outselling:

DQXI PS4 - guaranteed and will be done within weeks
DQXI 3DS - very likely but will take a few months
Both combined - possible but will take a year

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
That's not what you said though. You said it had better third party support up to this point, and then mentioned The Crystal Bearers, which released in 2009, and Monster Hunter Tri, which also released in 2009. And MH Tri was announced in October 2007, so even if we go by titles that were announced by this time it wouldn't count.

I don't even doubt that the Wii probably had better third party support at this point, but using those examples is stretching it lol. I'm sure a year from now the Switch's situation regarding third parties will be significantly improved.

You're just misreading the "thus far". I'm using it to imply that the Switch doesn't have better third party support promised "thus far" to claim it's not going to have "the third party issues the Wii did". Which I then also argued that the Wii had decent third party support.

I'm not looking into a crystal ball and saying the Switch will or won't have equal or better third party support, but thus far it's just clairvoyance to claim it. The Wii had more exclusive third party games promised at its first e3, and it definitely materialized exclusive Dragon Quests, Monster Hunter, and Final Fantasy which was impressive in hype even if they ultimately didn't deliver.

I thought the way he used those examples of games meant they came out within the first 6 months of the Wii launch lol. How you gonna give examples of games that came out 1-3 years later?

kswiston

S2 outselling:

DQXI PS4 - guaranteed and will be done within weeks
DQXI 3DS - very likely but will take a few months
Both combined - possible but will take a year

What are you counting as "weeks"? Because there's a 300k gap, and I doubt Splatoon starts closing it next week.

Wouldn't 2-3 months be more realistic?

You're just misreading the "thus far". I'm using it to imply that the Switch doesn't have better third party support promised "thus far" to claim it's not going to have "the third party issues the Wii did". Which I then also argued that the Wii had decent third party support.

I'm not looking into a crystal ball and saying the Switch will or won't have equal or better third party support, but thus far it's just clairvoyance to claim it. The Wii had more exclusive third party games promised at its first e3, and it definitely materialized exclusive Dragon Quests, Monster Hunter, and Final Fantasy which was impressive in hype even if they ultimately didn't deliver.

When you said "thus far" I thought you were saying launch aligned that Wii had a better third party lineup released, not announced.

Anyways, if we're going by announcements then I guess I agree although I think this situation will be much different next year.

Honestly, I feel like the Switch would still do pretty well even if it didn't get any major third party support. It has big hitters that the Wii didn't like Splatoon and Pokemon, plus franchises that traditionally do much better on handhelds such as Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem and Smash Bros., which will likely make appearances (FE is already announced even).

D.Lo

What are you counting as "weeks"? Because there's a 300k gap, and I doubt Splatoon starts closing it next week.

Wouldn't 2-3 months be more realistic?
Yeah, probably 7-9 weeks? I would count that in weeks, was just using informal terms. 'Months' to me would mean 6-12 months informally.

I'd guess PS4 DQ will drop to 50, 40, 30 over the next few weeks, while Splatoon will jump around with Switch stock, 70, 90, 60, 80 etc.

The Switch Third Party situation is gaining some momentum in Japan. We have DQ XI, DQ X, DQ Builders 2, MHXX, etc... and it seems more and more Japanese Third Parties are announcing games recently like Resident Evil Rev Collection. It will have enough Third Parties to maintain momentum in Japan IMO.

L~A

If you want to see the low barrier of entry for the Wii U, just check Cube Life.

Nintendo eShop Sales: Aug 03 - Aug 09

Nintendo Switch

(N) 01. STRIKERS1945 for Nintendo Switch (Zerodiv) [03.8.2017]
(-1) 02. Splatoon 2 (Nintendo) [21.7.2017]
(-1) 03. Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition (Mojang) [12.5.2017]
(N) 04. GUNBARICH for Nintendo Switch (Zerodiv) [03.8.2017]
(-1) 05. Snipperclips: Cut it out, together! (Nintendo) [03.3.2017]
(-1) 06. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) [28.4.2017]
(N) 07. ACA NeoGeo Aero Fighters 2 (Hamster) [03.8.2017]
(-5) 08. Namco Museum (Bandai-Namco) [28.7.2017]
(-3) 09. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo) [03.3.2017]
(N) 10. Rei-Jin-G-Lu-P (Kemco) [03.8.2017]

Nintendo 3DS

(=) 01. Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age (Square-Enix) [29.7.2017]
(=) 02. Kirby's Blowout Blast (Nintendo) [04.7.2017]
(+3) 03. Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2: Naruhodou Ryuunosuke no Kakugo (Capcom) [03.8.2017]
(-1) 04. The Battle Cats POP (Ponos) [31.5.2015]
(B) 05. Brave Dungeon (INSIDE SYSTEM) [30.11.2016]
(-2) 06. Ice Station Z (Wobbly Tooth) [06.4.2017]
(-2) 07. Maido Hebo Shougi (Arc System Works) [03.4.2013] (was on sale)
(-1) 08. ByeBye! BoxBoy! (Nintendo) [02.2.2017] (was on sale)
(+1) 09. Bike Rider DX (Spicysoft) (was on sale)
(-2) 10. Frontier Days: Founding Pioneers (Arc System Works) [16.12.2015] (was on sale)

Wii U

(=) 01. Splatoon (Nintendo) [28.5.2015]
(=) 02. Minecraft: Wii U Edition (Microsoft) [17.12.2015]
(N) 03. Cube Life: Pixel Action Heroes (Teyon Japan) [09.8.2017]
(N) 04. Tallowmere (Teyon Japan) [02.8.2017]

(+5) 05. Super Mario World (Nintendo, Virtual Console) [27.4.2013]
(-2) 06. Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo) [29.5.2014]
(+2) 07. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (Nintendo) [06.12.2014]
(-1) 08. Discovery (Rainy Frog) [31.8.2016]
(-6) 09. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo) [03.3.2017]
(-5) 10. Art Academy: Sketchpad (Nintendo) [08.8.2013]

https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/article/9a242916-7b15-11e7-8cda-063b7ac45a6d.html

Top Bottom