• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 31, 2017 (Jul 31 - Aug 06)

Vena

So we are either looking at a huge fall for DQps4 or a huge boost for the squids, or perhaps a bit of both

Well, let's see (of course, GM isn't a perfect indicator):

01./01. [3DS] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2017.07.29} (¥5.980) - 307.714 / 1.456.601 (-73%)
02./02. [PS4] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2017.07.29} (¥8.980) - 200.798 / 1.151.113 (-79%)
03./03. [NSW] Splatoon 2 # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2017.07.21} (¥5.980) - 74.235 / 827.646 (-30%)

Splatoon 2 is stock-straddled for its sales figures. So assuming we don't see ~200k hardware, its unlikely these are the numbers we're going to see next week. Since I expect 80-100k hardware for the Switch with the arrival of Obon, I'd expect ~100-120k Splatoon sales.

So DQXI-PS4 would be under that figure, DQXI-3DS would be above that figure which makes sense, the casual audience exists in an order of magnitude more on the 3DS than either the PS4 or Switch combined. PS4 legs should be expected to be the shortest, its mid-life hardware, its total population is low, and its a front-loaded software console most of the time.

wrowa

Not for the original releases (which I thought we are talking about here). Once you include ports it's muddied with the mass of licensed versions that always existed on consoles as well.

Well, the PS3 versions of Sky FC/SC/3rd were ported by Falcom themselves to my knowledge, so it's not quite the same as, say, the Evo re-releases. Anyway, both Cold Steel games released on PS3 day and date with the Vita versions (PS3 was arguably even the lead platform, considering Cold Steel and especially Cold Steel 2 don't run all that smoothly on Vita).

I'll take that. ;)

Personally I still think wrt the Japanese market Falcom is making a mistake completely leaving the portable audience, but I'm told the Sony-driven Asian market more than makes that up.

I think we'll definitely see a decline, but (hopefully) not too significant. Even in the face of increasing Asia sales, I don't think Falcom would be comfortable with the series declining too much on their domestic market.

How do you know they are leaving the portable market? Maybe some day they will release something on Switch, maybe not, we need to wait and see. It's six month old machine, I wouldn't expect anything anmounced from Falcom. As for PSV, not everything can run it. Falcom had to cut CS in half to make it work on PSV. I do think they shouldn't abandon PC though.

Do you have a source for the claim that Cold Steel got cut in half? All of the Trails series tell a continuous story split in several parts, it'd be surprising to me if Cold Steel was supposed to be an exception to that. Especially considering CS1 and 2 in a single package would be hellish long.

Considering Falcom's localization partners seem to be consent with porting Falcom's games to PC themselves, I don't think there's much of an incentive for Falcom to start developing PC versions in house again.

Aters

Do you have a source for the claim that Cold Steel got cut in half? All of the Trails series tell a continuous story split in several parts, it'd be surprising to me if Cold Steel was supposed to be an exception to that. Especially considering CS1 and 2 in a single package would be hellish long.

Considering Falcom's localization partners seem to be consent with porting Falcom's games to PC themselves, I don't think there's much of an incentive for Falcom to start developing PC versions in house again.

CS being split into two is my speculation. CS1 and 2 were padded to much longer than they should be, and this is the first time it takes three games to finish an arc. I do remember an audio drama that came out with CS2 that is about what happened between the two games, and the event in the drama was not included in the game due to size constrain.Plus CS already runs like shit on Vita.

To be honest I don't know why people are still asking "where's the Vita version". It's not easy to down port a game to handheld, and Falcom is a small company on a tight schedule. They are also using new tools when they move from PS3 to PS4. Plus, just look at Vita game sales in general this year. How long does it take before people finally realize Vita is dead?

Falcom don't need to develop PC version themselves, but they can at least let Xseed add Japanese VA into it. As it stands right now, the PC version does not work in Japan.

KtSlime

Well the fact that Falcom never really tries on other platform other than Sony, and we know there will not be Vita 2, can't we said that Falcom probably will move away from portable actually?

It depends on how accustomed they got to the extra income they get from people who buy games on portables, and if they are able to make up for that or need/want the extra revenue source.

I wouldn't count on Falcom coming to Switch simply because it is a portable, but I also wouldn't count it out just yet, companies don't like to get shrunk and it is a traded company.

I kinda get that they are going to give them away to subscribers to their channels but how the hell did they get so many of these? Yakuza connections? I can't really see Nintendo giving so many out like that.

casiopao

Only part I found notable is that online business (mobile games, SNS) increased 130%, 25% is from outside Japan.

Now this is interesting info for me. As i dont think Bamco release any notable mobile game recently.

Guess their Idolmaster and SAO property is racking huge muney for them.

I didn't see anyone commenting on this. From last week's thread:

22./00. [3DS] Monster Hunter Stories Ver.1.2 Update <RPG> (Capcom) {2017.07.27} (¥3.990) - 2.608 / NEW <20-40%>

Another one in the casket.

gaDt5Xu.gif

casiopao

Dragonball Dokkan battle is huge afaik.

Ahh. I miss that one. Considering how popular super is, i am not surprised lol.

22./00. [3DS] Monster Hunter Stories Ver.1.2 Update <RPG> (Capcom) {2017.07.27} (¥3.990) - 2.608 / NEW <20-40%>

gaDt5Xu.gif

Lolol. This is the best of Capcom lol.

Me: I dont think Capcom can go any lower lol.
Capcom: Hold my Beer.

Square2015

Dragon Quest historical first two week(s) total
Code:
1988 DQ3       ~1,370,000* 3.8m
1990 DQ4	  320,000  3.1m
1992 DQ5	1,369,000  2.8m
1995 DQ6	1,905,000  3.2m
2000 DQ7	2,934,000  4.1m
2004 DQ8	2,796,000  3.7m
2009 DQ9	2,946,000  4.4m
2012 DQ10	  491,000  1.4m+
2017 DQ11       2,580,000  3m+ ?
Data=famitsu

*5 day total, before the Saturday only release rule; would be two weeks after.

Edit: added what the titles would go on to sell/the final shipment figures.

KtSlime

gaDt5Xu.gif

It's exactly what you would expect for a re-release that costs almost twice what you can pick up the original for.

ggx2ac

Dragon Quest historical first two week(s) total
Code:
1988 DQ3       ~1,370,000* 3.8m
1990 DQ4	  320,000  3.1m
1992 DQ5	1,369,000  2.8m
1995 DQ6	1,905,000  3.2m
2000 DQ7	2,934,000  4.1m
2004 DQ8	2,796,000  3.6m
2009 DQ9	2,946,000  4.3m
2012 DQ10	  491,000  1m+
2017 DQ11       2,580,000  3m+ ?
Data=famitsu

*5 day total, before the Saturday only release rule; would be two weeks after.

Edit: added what the titles would go on to sell/the final shipment figures.

Wow, Dragon Quest IV had long legs.

KtSlime

Context for people who don't speak Japanese?

Famous YouTubers who often do product reviews sometimes collect hot items to do as give away sweepstakes for their viewers who signup for channel notifications - usually during holidays such as New Years and Obon. Some people think this is unfair because it takes hard to find items out of the market.

I think it is silly to be upset about, it is a relatively small number that they get, and how they got them is likely fair and square, just before the people complaining.

After trying out the MH XX Switch demo, I think it's too bad those other 3DS projects aren't cross-gen. HD can do wonders for 3DS games with good art styles.

Sandfox

L~A

Looks like the Monster Hunter Stories anime is doing better than most people thought (myself included). It was announced today that a "new chapter" would begin next month.

Anime is already at 44 episodes, and I remember that AnimeJapan listing that had it at 50 episodes. So looks like it really is getting a new "season" (though it doesn't really make sense to talk about season, since there hasn't been a break since it began airing).

Right now, I believe the anime is nearing the end of the main story (but not 100% sure since I haven't played the game yet), so looks like it's going to be a brand new story (I doubt Capcom has a game sequel in the works).

> https://twitter.com/MHST_RIDEON/status/896129110983835648

Eolz

Looks like the Monster Hunter Stories anime is doing better than most people thought (myself included). It was announced today that a "new chapter" would begin next month.

Anime is already at 44 episodes, and I remember that AnimeJapan listing that had it at 50 episodes. So looks like it really is getting a new "season" (though it doesn't really make sense to talk about season, since there hasn't been a break since it began airing).

Right now, I believe the anime is nearing the end of the main story (but not 100% sure since I haven't played the game yet), so looks like it's going to be a brand new story (I doubt Capcom has a game sequel in the works).

> https://twitter.com/MHST_RIDEON/status/896129110983835648

I really hope that Stories does well in the west, it's a really good game. Hopefully will motivate Capcom to fund a sequel, just like the same thing happened for Project X Zone.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
MH stories 2 on Switch
Make it happen capcom!
Demo is great and I can't wait for the full game

About YW it is the right choice to stay on 3DS imho with the spin off

With 4th...

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I am going to predict that nintendo is going to drop one or two 3DS bomb mega announcements before 2017 ends, for release in 2018.

and GAF will transform into a HUGE mountain of salt.

from who? Nintendo internal teams have clearly moved away from 3DS.

I am going to predict that nintendo is going to drop one or two 3DS bomb mega announcements before 2017 ends, for release in 2018.

Please no.
It's been 6 years and ending it on Metroid and Pokémon is good enough for me.

Nintendo knows better than to continue announcing big internal games for 3DS. I think their E3 this year spoke volumes. The entire spotlight was on Switch. They announced a new mainline Pokémon for Switch, right after people were upset that US/UM are on 3DS. They announced Metroid Prime 4 right before Samus Returns was announced for 3DS. They know what they're doing, and they know they have to give a massive push behind Switch while giving 3DS just enough to survive for another year or so.

sphinx

the piano man
from who? Nintendo internal teams have clearly moved away from 3DS.

Yeh, that's not happening.

well how big or megaton is an announcement that's a matter of perception but I'd bet nintendo is going to have something for 2018, Q1/2

I mean something like a collaboration with a partner studio or co-developing with a major dev a 3rd party IP.

probably something like Metroid and Mercury Steam.

I don't think that happened last year, outside of Ever Oasis I can't think of anything first released this year that was announced before 2017, am I forgetting any?
Edit: Poochy & Yoshi I guess if that's a 3DS bomb mega announcement, I can see more ports happening.

sphinx

the piano man
well in my thread of two days ago (that one that was brought down by the Switch vs 3DS warriors) I said a brand new Donkey Kong Country, most likely outsourced I don't see why is that unfeasible, I don't think such a game would need the power of the switch. or anything, it is a 2d platformer.

other people mentioned Advance Wars.

there are options, if nintendo wants it and from the looks of it, they want it.

//DEVIL//

I want to know who are those 100 people who keep buying xbox one in japan ?

its like the same number every week. 100 people.

the system is dead over there. just let it die.

saichi

well in my thread of two days ago (that one that was brought down by the Switch vs 3DS warriors) I said a brand new Donkey Kong Country, most likely outsourced I don't see why is that unfeasible, I don't think such a game would need the power of the switch. or anything, it is a 2d platformer.

other people mentioned Advance Wars.

there are options, if nintendo wants it and from the looks of it, they want it.

Releasing Advance Wars on 3DS next year would be the most cruel thing Nintendo can do to the franchise and its fans.

I want to know who are those 100 people who keep buying xbox one in japan ?

its like the same number every week. 100 people.

the system is dead over there. just let it die.

Whats more ridiculous is that only like 120 pieces of software were bought for it, take away the 100 new owners and thats less than 20 existing owners bothered buying anything for their's

sphinx

the piano man
Releasing Advance Wars on 3DS next year would be the most cruel thing Nintendo can do to the franchise and its fans.

forgot to mention (I think it was said elsewhere)

Nintendo is gonna send out the 3DS with a bang in Q4 with a direct, mainline sequel to the Zelda Ocarina/Majora games.

7 amazing temples, beautiful engaging world, by-the-books old school 3D zelda, for those who didn't like BotW that much.

November 2018 worldwide release.

2019 go sleep sweet prince, it's time to rest.

Top Bottom