• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 32, 2013 (Aug 05 - Aug 11)

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Cboats other stuff being other japanese devs may be on the hook as well is just... can people not remember how the money for X360 exclusives may have seemed like a short term boom, but fucked the entire uptake of the HD gen in Japan?

They NEED to adopt the PS4/Xbone/Steam triage just to survive at this rate, but short sightedness again could have some real ramifications.

And yes SS, the money is good, but when pubs can see those same numbers again and again, you play the Suda51 dance of jumping around all the pubs. A number that have disappeared since, and of course those wary of backing japanese games again. That green moneyhat smells crisp, but by god, its like spotting an iceberg in a ships trajectory one year in advance.

I wish MS would just leave japan alone.
They have to at least pretend to try. Having zero presence in one of the world's largest gaming markets would be bad for their brand.

They may need to try to enter the handheld market though as there's barely room for one home console in Japan, much less three.

L Thammy

Microsoft going after Platinum is recognition of their reputation, at least. I think it's more strange that Microsoft still thinks they have a chance in the Japanese market. Haven't they otherwise shown themselves to be ignoring it up until now?

I really don't think Microsoft should enter the handheld market just to get into Japan. It's a big risk, it's only getting riskier, and they're up against rivals who probably have a better understanding of the appeal of handhelds than they do. If they want to make money off the Japanese handheld market, maybe they should just act as a publisher there.

Does hoping that recent major Wii U bombas makes Nintendo bury the Nintendo Directs for game advertising make me a bad person?

The ND are a good idea for giving people updates about what's going on at Nintendo but I've never understood why they thought it was a good idea to use them to hype new games. The whole point of VG marketing is supposed to be to raise awareness of your games to people who don't eat/drink/sleep videogames everyday which I would imagine are the main audience of NDs.

Why did they think game marketing was something that needed to be reinvented?

I don't think Directs are a bad idea, but they work best for a particular sort of gamer. They also work best when... well, when they have something to say.

The problem with the marketing for games like The Wonderful 101 is that Nintendo does too little of it too late. Games for this audience should have a blowout of advertising: it's like how you'd always see the latest big thing when you go to GameFAQs.

It'd be a pain to dig up, but I remember Sven from Capcom discussing the advertising of Sengoku Basara in America. If I recall correctly, he said that it's typical for them to have advertising budgets at about 10% of expected sales, and even more in the case of riskier products. Nintendo needs to take that risk if they want to grow their brands among core audiences.

I don't think Directs are a bad idea, but they work best for a particular sort of gamer. They also work best when... well, when they have something to say.

The problem with the marketing for games like The Wonderful 101 is that Nintendo does too little of it too late. Games for this audience should have a blowout of advertising: it's like how you'd always see the latest big thing when you go to GameFAQs.

It'd be a pain to dig up, but I remember Sven from Capcom discussing the advertising of Sengoku Basara in America. If I recall correctly, he said that it's typical for them to have advertising budgets at about 10% of expected sales, and even more in the case of riskier products. Nintendo needs to take that risk if they want to grow their brands among core audiences.
I've had a feeling for years now that Nintendo hasn't fully accepted that the rest of the industry has changed the game when it comes to VG advertising. Big MS and Sony games are marketed like summer blockbusters with ad budgets to match and Nintendo seems to be content with just having their games sell on word of mouth most of the time.

What this means is that the general gaming public has begun to associate the quality of games with the amount of large scale advertising they see for it. If a game like W101 is released without that kind of fanfare they assume that it must be shovelware and treat it as such.

There really isn't a science to this anymore. There are very few surprise hits nowadays and you can pretty much predict which games will be on the top of gaming charts based entirely on how much hype proceeds it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Platinum possibly making a Japan exclusive Xbox One title (as per CBOAT) is just... christ. Even as a fan I can't seemingly follow the company any more and get their games on launch. Theyre going to be a casualty of these "safe money" developments that also associate their name closer and closer to ULTRA BOMBAS.

Sigh.

It makes perfect sense. If they can't get a hit, they're at the mercy of people who will pay. And who do you know that is very able to pay.

In the end, it honestly doesn't matter. Look at what happened this gen. Microsoft poured money into Japan (instead of Europe, I guess) and Sony ended up with a genuine cavalcade of exclusives, especially now.

Moneyhats genuinely distort the industry. They are externalities that allow things that should not be possible to happen. In some cases that makes us happy, but in most we must realize these are unsustainable behaviors.

L Thammy

It makes perfect sense. If they can't get a hit, they're at the mercy of people who will pay. And who do you know that is very able to pay.

In the end, it honestly doesn't matter. Look at what happened this gen. Microsoft poured money into Japan (instead of Europe, I guess) and Sony ended up with a genuine cavalcade of exclusives, especially now.

Moneyhats genuinely distort the industry. They are externalities that allow things that should not be possible to happen. In some cases that makes us happy, but in most we must realize these are unsustainable behaviors.

I think the thing people forget is that moneyhats can't cause significant changes in behaviour. The greatest powers earn more money by decisions than you could reasonably offer them. You can push them over the edge, maybe, but you can't convince someone to make a decision that they wouldn't do if they could.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
How did TW101 only get a 30K shipment? Even if it's not going to perform better than that, Nintendo at least thinks it will.

What's the point of even making a game to sell 30K? To force people onto the eShop?

It's not uncommon to greenlight a game you think will sell better than it actually ends up doing.

Like I'm sure EA didn't greenlight FUSE to sell 20K in its first month or whatever, but that's what happened.

Platinum overwhelmingly makes cult hits. Cult hits aren't the kind of thing you want to spend a ton of money on though, because you're going to get sunk financially.

This is why they've said in the past they have trouble getting work, because publishers are starting to notice this. We're at the point where it's overwhelmingly first parties seeming to pick up their work, because first parties are generally willing to take more risks in hope that something pans out in terms of selling their console, instead of just aiming to make the biggest profit.

Platinum has run into decent results in Japan from time to time, so it's not surprising that Microsoft would want them, in the same vein they signed Mistwalker and games like Tales and Star Ocean last gen. I imagine it will be a new IP that's designed with the market in mind instead of appealing internationally, given Microsoft's goal is Japanese growth instead of using it as a selling point in the West.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
It makes no sense for MS. Platinum games don't even sell well in Japan.
It doesn't make much sense for Nintendo either financially, but these are exclusive prestige projects which might sway the one or other person to your system when everything else is multiplattform. Blockbusters like Cod or GTA can't be money hatted and even midtier western titles already need to sell millions of copies to make money, so it makes sense to gather Japanese des who are willing to work on exclusive terms. They did the same with their Japan developed Kinect titles even though the system and the Accessoire flopped in Japan, nothing new.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Bayonetta 2 made a lotttt more sense at a time when Nintendo thought Wii U would be competitive. Games like that build a library and make a close race a not so close race when you consider them in total. I'm sure it wasn't expensive either.

Given where Wii U is, it just seems like a waste of money. But it'll still be fun.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Bayonetta 2 made a lotttt more sense at a time when Nintendo thought Wii U would be competitive. Games like that build a library and make a close race a not so close race when you consider them in total. I'm sure it wasn't expensive either.

Given where Wii U is, it just seems like a waste of money. But it'll still be fun.

Right, when Nintendo was explaining the system's name, they were saying how it was for "we" (as in casual gamers/family play together sessions/etc), and "you" (the core gamer using it as their primary device).

Presumably they thought they were going to get almost all of the multiplatform games on their system. Iwata was even going on about how he didn't feel the visual difference was going to be that big between systems, so he didn't see that as a real differentiator.

Developers and publishers seem to have weighed in with a different opinion on their hardware and/or target market though, so the games they signed as additions to their core gamer targeted library pretty much represent their entire core library now.

Right, when Nintendo was explaining the system's name, they were saying how it was for "we" (as in casual gamers/family play together sessions/etc), and "you" (the core gamer using it as their primary device).

Presumably they thought they were going to get almost all of the multiplatform games on their system. Iwata was even going on about how he didn't feel the visual difference was going to be that big between systems, so he didn't see that as a real differentiator.

Developers and publishers seem to have weighed in with a different opinion on their hardware and/or target market though, so the games they signed as additions to their core gamer targeted library pretty much represent their entire core library now.
Iwata continues to live in a different reality from us. During the Wii gen, he kept pushing the rhetoric of: "would people be really able to tell the difference between Wii and PS360 on their standard definition TVs???".

It bugs me how out of touch he can be sometimes. Yakuza 1/2 HD still completely baffles me. Having said that, I'm glad Bayonetta 2 exists as it is, because it really wasn't going to happen otherwise.

It's nice that Microsoft is putting effort in bringing japanese exclusives but is yet another Platinum possible bomba in the making really the game you want?

Even if it was Vanquish 2 it would still sell horrible as that IP is not established at all aside selective hardcore gamers.

Huff

Banned
Said it in the other thread, but people should just be glad platnium is getting work. Assuming it makes it into english at some point

just surprised that MS is willing to pick them up

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Iwata continues to live in a different reality from us. During the Wii gen, he kept pushing the rhetoric of: "would people be really able to tell the difference between Wii and PS360 on their standard definition TVs???".

I still wonder if part of that is how insular NCL is in terms of having relationships with western developers and publishers.

For a lot of mainstream Japanese market titles, he might have a point.

For the West...nope.

Scum

I still wonder if part of that is how insular NCL is in terms of having relationships with western developers and publishers.

For the West...nope.

Iwata needs to go all Yamauchi on his board. Get NoE and NoA to help with US/Euro shenanigans.

Dalthien

Oh yeah - Nintendo is extremely insular. They pay little attention to what's going on around them, and they really do dance to their own tune - for both good and ill.

But it's also why I find them to be so much more fascinating to follow from a business perspective than either Sony or Micosoft.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

It bugs me how out of touch he can be sometimes. Yakuza 1/2 HD still completely baffles me. Having said that, I'm glad Bayonetta 2 exists as it is, because it really wasn't going to happen otherwise.

For the West...nope.
Even ignoring the graphics for a minute, just consider the memory and processing power needs.

Imagine trying to get games like GTA V, Battlefield 4, and Assassin's Creed 3 running on the original Wii. Just the sheer amount going on in those games would make such a port nigh insanity before we even get to the graphics.

To use an example of a current gen game that needed to cut things to run on current gen consoles, Mass Effect 3 pulled out the ability to holster your gun to save 3 MB of animation data, because they didn't have that much left to spare. The game also originally had the ability to use biotics to destroy things like catwalks, but the enemies trying to pathfind around the changing environment caused their CPU AI budget to break, so they had to take it out.

Once we drop the 360/PS3 versions of next-gen games, it won't be long before titles designed around the 5 GB RAM/6 modern CPU core next-gen systems will require more than 1 GB of RAM for the game to function as intended, or end up needing more processing power than the Wii U has available.

Now, it might be conceivable to try and scale down a version with functionality removed, but that would be a very expensive process done in order to sell a notably inferior version of the game. Would anyone actually want to buy that?

For some games that are more computationally simplistic, it might be notably more plausible, like with CoD on the Wii, but there are a lot of ramifications that lesser hardware causes beyond just worse graphics, which is something I feel Iwata kind of misses every time he brings up this point.

But yes I agree that within Japan, most things like Tales don't *really* need a lot of power in order to have their core mechanics function, so he would be right for the majority of the local market.

Does hoping that recent major Wii U bombas makes Nintendo bury the Nintendo Directs for game advertising make me a bad person?

The ND are a good idea for giving people updates about what's going on at Nintendo but I've never understood why they thought it was a good idea to use them to hype new games. The whole point of VG marketing is supposed to be to raise awareness of your games to people who don't eat/drink/sleep videogames everyday which I would imagine are the main audience of NDs.

Why did they think game marketing was something that needed to be reinvented?

Not by much apparently :/

There's one major problem with Nintendo Directs - it's essentially preaching to the choir. People who aren't Nintendo fans won't be watching it because they don't care.

You're talking about an industry in which at any one time there have basically been at most like five oligarchs and for one segment, up until around 2006, it was a monopoly with the occasional also-ran. Practically anything those oligarchs do is an industry distortion. Even the most basic tech-upgrade console cycle is an industry distortion.

Code:
[B][U]Comgnet Software Sales Rankings: Week 33, 2013 (Aug 12 - Aug 18)[/U][/B]

01. [3DS] Mario and Luigi: Dream Team – 99pt
02. [3DS] Friend Collection: New Life – 67pt
03. [3DS] Disney Magic Castle: My Happy Life – 61pt
04. [3DS] Youkai Watch – 48pt
05. [PS3] Dragon's Crown – 43pt
06. [3DS] One Piece: Romance Dawn - Bouken no Yoake – 37pt
07. [WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii: Super Deluxe Edition (bundle) – 35pt
08. [3DS] Hoppechan: Tsukutte! Asonde! Punipuni Town!! – 26pt
09. [3DS] Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon – 26pt
10. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf – 26pt
11. [PS3] Earth Defense Force 2025 – 24pt
12. [PSP] God Eater Burst (PSP the Best) – 23pt
13. [PS3] The Last of Us – 23pt
14. [3DS] Ace Attorney 5 – 23pt
15. [WIU] Pikmin 3 – 22pt
16. [WII] New Play Control! Pikmin 2 – 21pt
17. [PSP] Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (PSP the Best) – 19pt
18. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 – 19pt
19. [3DS] Kuma-Tomo – 19pt
20. [3DS] Toriko: Gourmet Battle! – 19pt
[B]* New releases are in bold
* 1 pt = 1 sale
3DS - 12
PS3 - 3
WII - 2
PSP - 2
WIU - 1
[/B]

No Tsutaya yet, but I'll post it when it releases.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Okay I know this isn't related to Japanese sales, but since we're talking about Nintendo's business strategy and The Wonderful 101 anyway, I'm going to ask it here.

So The Wonderful 101 was ready to release this Tuesday in the U.S., but Nintendo decided to delay the release until two days before GTA V.

Could someone explain Nintendo's strategy to me? I'm at a loss for words.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Okay I know this isn't related to Japanese sales, but since we're talking about Nintendo's business strategy and The Wonderful 101 anyway, I'm going to ask it here.

So The Wonderful 101 was ready to release this Tuesday in the U.S., but Nintendo decided to delay the release until two days before GTA V.

A few companies have followed the "oh because of GTA/COD/etc someone will be in a game shop, and thats the only time they'd be in a place to buy this title" line of fucking insane reasoning.

Sega did the same with a Yakuza title or two, and other companies too. Its... these are not smart men at work.

Shengar

Wait what? Seriously they pushed back W101 US release to 2 days before GTA V? I begin to suspect that Nintendo doesn't even care about games that isn't on their platform, an ignorancy that will cost them dearly.

Shengar

A few companies have followed the "oh because of GTA/COD/etc someone will be in a game shop, and thats the only time they'd be in a place to buy this title" line of fucking insane reasoning.

Sega did the same with a Yakuza title or two, and other companies too. Its... these are not smart men at work.
Compulsive buying strategy? At that price, not gonna happened lol. Why does they even consider this strategy if their prices are so high?

Pie and Beans

I mean thats presuming they dreamt of any metered success really. The other angle is burying something in the shadow of a nuclear hit like GTA for the perfect "well of COURSE it failed to sell, just bad luck GTA was out that week huh" last ditch excuse for investors and whatnot. Nintendo and most game companies are not above "dog ate my homework" excuses, such is the immaturity of the industry.

Anyway, with a potential 30k shipment, what are we looking at realistically now? 20k? God if its sub-20k I might actually pour a 40 out.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
All right I dug up first weeks by Famitsu.

Metal Gear Rising: 335,791 (PS3)
Bayonetta: 138,430 (PS3) + 66,211 (360) = 204,641
Vanquish: 51,705 (PS3) + 11,798 (360) = 63,503
Anarchy Reigns: 21,199 (PS3) + 4,170 (360) = 25,369
Infinite Space: 40,266 (DS)
Mad World: 4,651 (Wii)

If they sold 80% or so of their shipment, it would be on par with Anarchy Reigns, below Infinite Space, less than half of Vanquish, and leagues below Bayonetta and MGR.

It would be above Mad World though.

If they sell out and get a second shipment, it could conceivably get to Infinite Space levels, but I'm not sure how feasible that is in two days.

Scum

It's NoA.

They must have thought that it would distract Wii U owners from absence of the largest 3rd party game of the year on their system. Remember that Nintendo also thought that AC:CF and Wii Music would be enough make gamers happy for the last half of 2008 (yes. I'm still very bitter).

But they could have launched it on the 20th (or today since they love Sunday release dates) and it would have still been there for GTAV people to impulse buy. The real answer is that they wanted to give Pikmin 3 more time to sell but that shouldn't have been released so late either.

faridmon

How many times does Msoft need to bleed money in Japan until it realise that they aren't wanted there?

Corporates never learn, do they?

QaaQer

I really don't think Microsoft should enter the handheld market just to get into Japan. It's a big risk, it's only getting riskier, and they're up against rivals who probably have a better understanding of the appeal of handhelds than they do. If they want to make money off the Japanese handheld market, maybe they should just act as a publisher there.
First, MS is a device and services company first and foremost, so whatever they do in japan will serve those ends.

We know that the Windows Phone + Windows tablets have been a 900 million dollar failure so far. As such, MS needs to kickstart their mobile business by offering customers something different. A possible option it to create a handheld/gaming machine that is also a good smartphone. They have the money and the talent, so who knows.

I know the received wisdom on gaf is that phones and dedicated handhelds are separate and never the twain shall meet, but I don't believe that a really good gaming phone has ever been released.

A solid Windows phone with some kind of gaming button attachment might attract devs and customers if MS is willing to bankroll it for a couple of years.

Frodo

Indeed. It was like this last week as well.

Looks like there were some people new to the Pikmin franchise who liked the third iteration so much that they wanted to explore the other titles.

Interesting. As it kind of points out that the audience that bought Pikmin 3 might have not had any contact with the series before, or are double dipping. Anyway... Interesting.

First, MS is a device and services company first and foremost, so whatever they do in japan will serve those ends.

We know that the Windows Phone + Windows tablets have been a 900 million dollar failure so far. As such, MS needs to kickstart their mobile business by offering customers something different. A possible option it to create a handheld/gaming machine that is also a good smartphone. They have the money and the talent, so who knows.

I know the received wisdom on gaf is that phones and dedicated handhelds are separate and never the twain shall meet, but I don't believe that a really good gaming phone has ever been released.

A solid Windows phone with some kind of gaming button attachment might attract devs and customers if MS is willing to bankroll it for a couple of years.

Creating another flop machine is last thing microsoft should be doing.

Take Vita - remove all japanise support and sales in Japan and you get what Microsoft handheld would end like.

Maybe it's some sort of counter-programming thing - although I don't really think that works for games in the same way it works for movies and TV.

Scum

Come on, Iwata. Sack your board, steal Valve's Steam, rename it to Nintendo Miiverse, give away 1TB HDD for cheap and make the WiiU a DD only console.

ohlawd

lol damn gotta get that xbox one if that PG thing is true.

Japanese aimed? As long as it isn't Japanese exclusive, I'm in. Sorry Sony, you should harass Gust for a new PS4 Atelier game if you want my monies too :3

Road

https://sites.google.com/site/japanltdrank/

Used my expert web skills to put up that page so people can use as a reference while JoshuaJSlone decides what he'll do with Garaph.

It only has 1% of the features of Garaph, though. No hardware sales, no weekly sales or fancy chart making, just a plain list of software sales with first week and the last known ltd (total sales), only from Famitsu.

Each column header has an upside down triangle button, where you can use filters to search for the game you want or to sort.

Now I wait for threats from Japan.

Code:
[B][U]Tsutaya Software Sales Rankings: Week 33, 2013 (Aug 12 - Aug 18)	Comgnet Software Sales Rankings: Week 33, 2013 (Aug 12 - Aug 18)[/U][/B]

01./01. [3DS] Disney Magic Castle: My Happy Life			01. [3DS] Mario and Luigi: Dream Team – 99pt
02./02. [3DS] Mario and Luigi: Dream Team				02. [3DS] Friend Collection: New Life – 67pt
03./06. [3DS] Youkai Watch						03. [3DS] Disney Magic Castle: My Happy Life – 61pt
04./04. [3DS] Ace Attorney 5						04. [3DS] Youkai Watch – 48pt
05./05. [PS3] Dragon's Crown						05. [PS3] Dragon's Crown – 43pt
06./07. [3DS] Friend Collection: New Life				06. [3DS] One Piece: Romance Dawn - Bouken no Yoake – 37pt
07./03. [3DS] One Piece: Romance Dawn - Bouken no Yoake			07. [WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii: Super Deluxe Edition (bundle) – 35pt
08./12. [WIU] Pikmin 3							08. [3DS] Hoppechan: Tsukutte! Asonde! Punipuni Town!! – 26pt
09./15. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf 				09. [3DS] Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon – 26pt
10./11. [3DS] Fantasy Life: Link!					10. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf – 26pt
11./08. [PSV] Dragon's Crown						11. [PS3] Earth Defense Force 2025 – 24pt
12./10. [PS3] Earth Defense Force 2025					12. [PSP] God Eater Burst (PSP the Best) – 23pt
13./14. [PSP] Toukiden							13. [PS3] The Last of Us – 23pt
14./09. [PS3] The Witch and the Hundred Knights 			14. [3DS] Ace Attorney 5 – 23pt
15./26. [3DS] Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon				15. [WIU] Pikmin 3 – 22pt
16./18. [3DS] Danball Senki eXperience W: Ultra Custom			16. [WII] New Play Control! Pikmin 2 – 21pt
17./22. [3DS] Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D				17. [PSP] Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (PSP the Best) – 19pt
18./19. [PSP] Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (PSP the Best)		18. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 – 19pt
19./23. [PSV] Toukiden							19. [3DS] Kuma-Tomo – 19pt
20./13. [3DS] Pokemon Tretta Lab for Nintendo 3DS (First Edition)	20. [3DS] Toriko: Gourmet Battle! – 19pt
[B]* New releases are in bold						* 1 pt = 1 sale
3DS - 12								3DS - 12
PS3 - 3									PS3 - 3
PSV - 2									WII - 2
PSP - 2									PSP - 2
WIU - 1									WIU - 1
[/B]

[B][U]New releases not present in either Top 20:[/U]

NONE (Obon Holiday)[/B]

2013 Tsutaya + Comgnet Weekly Sales Archive

https://sites.google.com/site/japanltdrank/

Used my expert web skills to put up that page so people can use as a reference while JoshuaJSlone decides what he'll do with Garaph.

It only has 1% of the features of Garaph, though. No hardware sales, no weekly sales or fancy chart making, just a plain list of software sales with first week and the last known ltd (total sales), only from Famitsu.

Each column header has an upside down triangle button, where you can use filters to search for the game you want or to sort.

Now I wait for threats from Japan.

Considering the talent pool in these threads, I'm amazed there hasn't been a collaborative effort to create a real analytical video game sales website as opposed to a database. The industry needs one and yet we have nothing with any kind of credibility and in depth analysis.

Top Bottom