• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 32, 2014 (Aug 04 - Aug 10)

KooopaKid

Banned
It's probably more because (IIRC) now it's Holiday time for children in Japan, and it was the week before Obon (which is this week. It's possible Hyrule Warriors's anticipation could have helped, but I think its contribute wasn't that much, in the end.

Probably, both Nintendo consoles increased.

RMI

Banned
c'mon Mario Kart, you gotta keep trucking along in every territory to prove that imbecile Ben Kuchera wrong. you can do it!

Geez, what a poor week.

Hardware is - well, WiiU benefited, will probably be even higher next week due to proper Obon. Same for 3DS.

I'm glad Vita stayed stable, but could've done with it being up really.

Software though - crikey. Senran Kagura, although I was expecting it, really underperformed.

And Lost Dimension - even bigger bomba than Exstetra. FuRyu are going to be stuck making low-quality anime tie-in stuff forever if they want actual sales, I guess.

Dragon Ball did alright. Wonder if the legs will be similar to the first. Ultra Street Fighter IV seems to have done okay too - and For the Sequel's re-release is actually kinda surprising to see charting, good for it.

Shin Hayarigami seems to have done well too - do we have any comparisons to the previous entries?

Also, -3% for Freedom Wars? Gasp.

01./01. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Ganso / Honke <RPG> (Level 5) {2014.07.10} (¥4.937) - 120.682 / 2.093.992 (-16%)
Impressive performance of YW2, 3 million is a lock now.
09./05. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch <RPG> (Level 5) {2013.07.11} (¥4.800) - 7.355 / 1.234.622 (-14%)
I'm surprised the first game continue selling this well after the sequel release, such great leg.

Ty4on

Edit: ^^^^^Nope, sales only halved.
Solely because of the anime, right? :p

But it only sold a few thousand.

Nice bumps for MK8 and Wii U I guess. Better than nothing.

WiiU only went up by a few thousand :p

Maybe it is getting healthier. Would be hilarious if it became the best selling console, even better if the Vita also overtook the 3DS.

To be fair to SK2, it is priced 1000yen more than the previous 3DS games. Still sold well enough IMO. Could reach near 100k region at some point.

Umm... 1000 yen does not matter for games like this.

And Shinovi Versus was also at the same price (1000 higher than vanilla/Burst).

Personally, I was thinking it'd be somewhere near SV, since not only is this post-anime, but also the fact that SV sold well.

Will Japanese third parties consider Wii U versions of their games if this level of Wii U's dominance continues during the generation?

Will Silent Hill S become a Wii U exclusive? IMAGINE THE POSSIBILITIES. :p

mclem

Mario Kart 8 is having really strong legs, not long ago some were wondering if it was going to catch Mario Kart: Double Dash!! or Mario Kart: Super Circuit. There is no doubt it will easily cross the million mark by the end of the year.

05./05. [WIU] Mario Kart 8 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2014.05.29} (¥6.156) - 14.068 / 556.138 <80-100%> (+0%)
03./05. [WIU] Mario Kart 8 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2014.05.29} (¥6.156) - 17.633 / 573.771 <80-100%> (+25%)
03./03. [WIU] Mario Kart 8 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2014.05.29} (¥6.156) - 20.011 / 593.782 <80-100%> (+13%)
06./03. [WIU] Mario Kart 8 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2014.05.29} (¥6.156) - 21.654 / 615.436 <80-100%> (+8%)
I think 'by the end of the year' might be optimistic. There's around 20 weeks left. Assuming - generously, I think - tripled sales in the Christmas week, we still need to *average* around 17k/week to meet that target. Depends how much of the currently good numbers is legs, and how much of them is Obon.

I think it'll get to the million mark eventually, though. My gut says around Feb.

Will Japanese third parties consider Wii U versions of their games if this level of Wii U's dominance continues during the generation?

Will Silent Hill S become a Wii U exclusive? IMAGINE THE POSSIBILITIES. :p

If I was a third party starting development on a Japanese aimed ps4 game there is no way I'd not do a Wii U version too

random25

Umm... 1000 yen does not matter for games like this.

And Shinovi Versus was also at the same price (1000 higher than vanilla/Burst).

Personally, I was thinking it'd be somewhere near SV, since not only is this post-anime, but also the fact that SV sold well.

Not denying that it sold well on Vita, but Vita games are more expensive than 3DS games naturally at launch, so it hurts that a 3DS game is about $10 more expensive compared to its 3DS predecessors.

Yasumi

Banned
Shinovi Versus is a fighting game spin-off, not a mainline game. The first game had an expanded version releases less than a year after launch.
What? No, it's pretty much Burst with twice as many characters, the camera in a different position, and more open areas. Definitely not a fighting game.

Metallix87

What? No, it's pretty much Burst with twice as many characters, the camera in a different position, and more open areas. Definitely not a fighting game.

Wow, that's odd. Why is it referred to as a fighting game on Wikipedia?

Anyway, then that makes it the third version of the same game.

Not denying that it sold well on Vita, but Vita games are more expensive than 3DS games naturally at launch, so it hurts that a 3DS game is about $10 more expensive compared to its 3DS predecessors.

And I said "for games like this". Do you think 10$ will do a difference here? Who do think the audience of Senran Kagura are? This is still in the "normal price range" for games. Not the high-end prices like Super Robot Wars (which usually goes around 80 USD).

1000 yen is what? price of two value meals in a fast food?

L Thammy

To my understanding, the mainland Senran Kagura games are side-scrolling beat-em-ups, whereas Shinobi Versus is a 3D hack-and-slash a la Dynasty Warriors. People who call either of those "fighting games" are weird.

Yasumi

Banned
Wow, that's odd. Why is it referred to as a fighting game on Wikipedia?

Anyway, then that makes it the third version of the same game.
It's a totally different game, I just meant it had some of the same mechanics as Burst. It's a full sequel in terms of story.

Busaiku

SK2 should have been multiplatform from the get-go. The franchise is only three years old and it's already a complete mess.

All we need now is an exclusive Senran Kagura for Xbox One or something.
No, as we see from games like Project Diva, multiplatform releases are not good for these types of games.

random25

And I said "for games like this". Do you think 10$ will do a difference here? Who do think the audience of Senran Kagura are? This is still in the "normal price range" for games. Not the high-end prices like Super Robot Wars (which usually goes around 80 USD).

1000 yen is what? price of two value meals in a fast food?

I'm just simply comparing the SK audience on the 3DS front. Not on the Vita, which is practically its default audience. Its 1st game did 53k, the expansion did 70+k. 46k isn't too far off from it's SK core audience on the 3DS at launch (disappointing, sure, but people saying it bombed are pretty much hyperbole lol). Price point can be a key too given that 3DS games by default are priced $40-$50, and the launch price of SK2 is more of a premium at this point.

Jeez guys all the excuses that are being made. It's ok to say that maybe this one game should have been made for Vita over the 3DS. It's not going to cause everyone to throw their 3DS in the trash. Unless this shows some great legs it's going to badly underperform.

Also, no one could visit these threads and possibly think Sony has some huge TGS lined up for the PS4.

test_account

XP-39C²
Not as bad as some made it out to be. Maybe fans are expecting another expansion?
Many fans are probably expecting an expansion indeed, but i dont think that it had any big effect on the sales. A potential expansion would be about a year away (if SK:Burst is anything to go by), that would be a long wait for a potential week 1-2 buyer (and an expansion isnt even guaranteed). Kinda like skipping out on Monster Hunter 4 in the wait for MH4G. I think that would be a pretty difficult wait for someone who otherwise would have bought the game in the first week or so.

I wonder why Sony bothered to launch PS4 in Japan without any Japanese games.

Because it's selling (like shit) even without any games.

At least by releasing this year, Sony has a 500k+ install base that can be used as a selling point to smaller devs to start releasing exclusive unlocalised games by 2015, convince larger Japanese devs to start making more games for current gen and build enough buffer audience so that when Bloodborne comes out next year, it will hopefully manage to be a system seller instead of a launch title.

There is merit towards Sony's launch. It's basically Sony putting down a flag to establish a base of operations so that there's at least something there, even though the base has no soldiers to actually go out and fight, but it's better than setting up the flag next year.

phanphare

Banned
Jeez guys all the excuses that are being made. It's ok to say that maybe this one game should have been made for Vita over the 3DS. It's not going to cause everyone to throw their 3DS in the trash. Unless this shows some great legs it's going to badly underperform.

it probably should have been multi-platform. I think people are just expressing that compared to the previous entries on 3DS it didn't do that bad

Usobuko

Banned
Geez, what a poor week.

Hardware is - well, WiiU benefited, will probably be even higher next week due to proper Obon. Same for 3DS.

I'm glad Vita stayed stable, but could've done with it being up really.

Software though - crikey. Senran Kagura, although I was expecting it, really underperformed.

And Lost Dimension - even bigger bomba than Exstetra. FuRyu are going to be stuck making low-quality anime tie-in stuff forever if they want actual sales, I guess.

Dragon Ball did alright. Wonder if the legs will be similar to the first. Ultra Street Fighter IV seems to have done okay too - and For the Sequel's re-release is actually kinda surprising to see charting, good for it.

Shin Hayarigami seems to have done well too - do we have any comparisons to the previous entries?

Also, -3% for Freedom Wars? Gasp.

Thanks, was expecting a run down on all these niche JPN 3rd party games.

Ty4on

he won't be completely wrong until it passes ~7 million.

Which is more than the WiiU has sold so go get your extra copies folks! >100% attach rate here we come!

It's at ~3M so after a decent holiday or two 6M might be within range. Let's also remember his specific (and hilarious) prediction was 1.26M, not sub 6 million which is kinda vague.

Top Bottom