• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 32, 2014 (Aug 04 - Aug 10)

Atram

No it doesn't. Don't be silly, it is big for a handheld but it still is small compared to everything else. The Vita too feels small compared to the Wii U gamepad. And that is by no means a big screen either. It is just the biggest screen with buttons and sticks attached.

it was a joke...

4 Years ago i played my last Main DQ and it seems it will take more 4 Years for the next one :(

phanphare

Banned
Tsutaya says Hyrule Warriors pushed hardware sales.

http://mantan-web.jp/2014/08/19/20140819dog00m200031000c.html

well that's something

this is just me taking a few leaps of faith but I feel like to definitively say it pushed hardware the numbers would have to increase by at least 5k over the previous week. so the Wii U could be at 18k+ for the week. perhaps we'll see the Wii U above 20k this week :p that'd be kind of crazy, all things considered.

L~A

Yup, Horii's "I'd like to play DQXI on a big screen" has become the new "Persona 5 can only be on the 3DS because best-selling console, Atlus got no choice!!1!".

RalchAC

Predicting DQs future isnt as simple as it used to be, especially when we take into account what happened in the last years and the recent producer statements. DQIX being the first handheld main game and DQX being an MMO show that SE isnt afraid to take on new unproven approaches with the series - especially when you consider that DQIX was first planned as a Action-RPG.

3DS seems like the safest choice, if it can handle whatever is planned for DQXI. But i dont think it will be 3DS exclusive - there will be a HD/console version(s) as well.

Yeah, that was something that I was actually thinking while writting my part. It could happen and I wouldn't surprised if there is a homeconsole version too.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Yeah, that was something that I was actually thinking while writting my part. It could happen and I wouldn't surprised if there is a homeconsole version too.

Thats what im expecting as well, might be a Ninokuni DS/PS3 situation.

Yup, Horii's "I'd like to play DQXI on a big screen" has become the new "Persona 5 can only be on the 3DS because best-selling console, Atlus got no choice!!1!".

Only crazy people thought P5 would end up on a handheld when Atlus has been investing in their HD/console engine for years.

SE is probably trying to avoid a DQIX situation at all costs, they announced that game in 2006 and after multiple delays it was finally released in 2009.

It looks like they are aiming for a 2016 release (series' 30th anniversary), and by that time 3DS will be dead and buried. PS4 and 4DS would be their only options.

SE is probably trying to avoid a DQIX situation at all costs, they announced that game in 2006 and after multiple delays it was finally released in 2009.

It looks like they are aiming for a 2016 release, and by that time 3DS will be dead and buried. PS4 and 4DS would be their only options.

4DS would be launching by holiday 2016 in Japan maybe so I don't see why this is a good fit for DQ

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The Persona 5 one or DQ one?

The Persona 5 one. Atlus has been making very straightforward choices for what platforms they release games on, and pretty explicitly stated their target platforms years ago when talking about their engine development and continued to imply where it was headed with releases like Catherine. It's also not like this is a game that's expected to sell millions of copies and will be handicapped by the PS3 install base in Japan.

With Dragon Quest, it feels unlikely it wouldn't have a 3DS version, but they have been porting the series around a lot recently and talked about the need to go multiplatform, so I can at least feasibly see why someone would go "Oh hey this might have a console version even if it's not the only version."

L~A

The Persona 5 one. Atlus has been making very straightforward choices for what platforms they release games on, and pretty explicitly stated their target platforms years ago when talking about their engine development and continued to imply where it was headed with releases like Catherine. It's also not like this is a game that's expected to sell millions of copies and will be handicapped by the PS3 install base in Japan.

With Dragon Quest, it feels unlikely it wouldn't have a 3DS version, but they have been porting the series around a lot recently and talked about the need to go multiplatform, so I can at least feasibly see why someone would go "Oh hey this might have a console version even if it's not the only version."

Yup. I can totally see a handheld release, followed by a console version a few months later down the road. Don't expect both Day 1, though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yup. I can totally see a handheld release, followed by a console version a few months later down the road. Don't expect both Day 1, though.

Similarly, if someone came in here and went "I bet Atlus will port Persona 5 around a lot, even if it's post release." that would seem totally plausible given that's pretty much what Atlus does to fill gaps in their schedule.

Admittedly they're part of Sega now and thus there aren't the same kind of gaps, but I don't really see that changing since their re-releases sell well and help grow the audience for the next game, since they're not a company that's hitting saturation level with the first release. Sega is also known for re-releasing games anyway, so that fits in.

However, the choice for base platform still seemed to be heavily signaled ahead of time.

Persona 5 being on 3DS talk was amusing considering the series' history, Catherine and PS3 doing fine. I'm going to chalk that one to wishful thinking.

The DQ appears to be in the same situation but is bit more interesting due to Hori saying those words: wanting to play it on the big screen. DQ11 appearing on consoles was previously out of the question and now its debatable. Personally, I want to know why SE had the sudden change of heart or if they planned this from the beginning the reason for a supposed console SKU.

L~A

Similarly, if someone came in here and went "I bet Atlus will port Persona 5 around a lot, even if it's post release." that would seem totally plausible given that's pretty much what Atlus does to fill gaps in their schedule.

Admittedly they're part of Sega now and thus there aren't the same kind of gaps, but I don't really see that changing since their re-releases sell well and help grow the audience for the next game, since they're not a company that's hitting saturation level with the first release. Sega is also known for re-releasing games anyway, so that fits in.

However, the choice for base platform still seemed to be heavily signaled ahead of time.

Ah no no, I was talking about DQ11, not Persona 5 (though I DO expect a handheld port of Persona 5 in a couple of years... I doubt Atlus can resist porting it and get some double-dips).

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Wouldn't it still be more ideal for SE to put out DQ11 on Wii U that has 2.5x bigger user base than PS4? I think that Wii U will be around 2.1 million at the end of the year if it manages to do 200k in December alone

Huh? Are people expecting the Wii U's YTD at the end of the year to be worse than last year? o_O? The Wii U sold 500K last year between this week and the end of the year. Assuming it sold the exact same as last year, we're easily looking at 2.3-2.4m for the Wii U.

Keep in mind that last year after Obon, the sales of the Wii U (and honestly everything but the 3DS) were absolutely terrible for a while. Vita and Wii U were duking it out at 5-6K with the PS3 at like 8-9K. I hope that at least we don't see that again (as in for the non-3DS consoles).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Ah no no, I was talking about DQ11, not Persona 5 (though I DO expect a handheld port of Persona 5 in a couple of years... I doubt Atlus can resist porting it and get some double-dips).

Oh no, I knew that, I was just following up on the Persona side of the equation.

It looks like they are aiming for a 2016 release (series' 30th anniversary), and by that time 3DS will be dead and buried. PS4 and 4DS would be their only options.

The DQIX situation brought 4.4mln units (considering the budget version), on a console during its 5th in the market.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Honestly I don't think Square Enix is that confusing of a company. They're not an esoteric actor like Nintendo.

They're basically going to pick the set of platforms where they go "This will make the most money while still running the game successfully and acceptably."

Sure, there are a number of factors into that, like "Do we need to make sure everyone has the same platform for local co-op? Is that only relevant on handhelds? Can that work between generations? Is there enough of an install base? Are we making a game that's an MMO and thus needs special considerations?", but I think you can start with the base proposition of profit maximization and actually get pretty far.

Well, they moved a non-trivial number of Xbox 360s, but they're unlikely to change the overall picture for the platform.

It's not something that will sell 1.5 million units and create an umbrella everyone rushes to get under.

ah bummer, so next month we might get a glimpse at what Sony has planned for PS4 in Japan I was just thinking what might help push this hardware.

In your opinion what is the best IP right now to move this hardware in Japan?

FluxWaveZ

I mean, Persona on PS4 wouldn't be a small deal. Don't know how much it'd push hardware if, say, Persona 5 was announced for PS4 with it already being a PS3 game, though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
ah bummer, so next month we might get a glimpse at what Sony has planned for PS4 in Japan I was just thinking what might help push this hardware.

In your opinion what is the best IP right now to move this hardware in Japan?

For Sony, at this point it's probably still Final Fantasy despite the amount of decay.

Things like Tales, Resident Evil, Yakuza, Metal Gear, and Kingdom Hearts will help, but I don't think any will inspire a level of confidence in other developers to follow through on their own volition.

What they really want though is just as much software as they can possible get. Thanks to the West, they will have a few guaranteed big hitters. Beyond that, Sony needs to do what they did for the Vita and just mass bribe as many developers as they can to put content on the PS4 so people aren't just buying it for one game. Filling in the bottom to lower-mid tier here is something that might work better than Vita since they actually have a few big hitters due to externalities.

That said, this will be a long uphill battle.

I mean, Persona on PS4 wouldn't be a small deal. Don't know how much it'd push hardware if, say, Persona 5 was announced for PS4 with it already being a PS3 game, though.

To me this is actually more relevant as a boon to its success in the West than helping PS4 in Japan, since the PS3 versions seem to be good enough for a lot of Japanese players, but that doesn't seem to hold nearly as well in the West.

If you compare it to cross-gen games from the western transition, people bought onto next gen editions because there was a tangible difference between the two, publishers gave incentives for upgrading, and everybody knew there was going to be widespread support for the systems going forward. You can't really say that for Japan.

For Sony, at this point it's probably still Final Fantasy despite the amount of decay.

Things like Tales, Resident Evil, Yakuza, Metal Gear, and Kingdom Hearts will help, but I don't think any will inspire a level of confidence in other developers to follow through on their own volition.

What they really want though is just as much software as they can possible get. Thanks to the West, they will have a few guaranteed big hitters. Beyond that, Sony needs to do what they did for the Vita and just mass bribe as many developers as they can to put content on the PS4 so people aren't just buying it for one game. Filling in the bottom to lower-mid tier here is something that might work better than Vita since they actually have a few big hitters due to externalities.

That said, this will be a long uphill battle.

If Japan still loves Final Fantasy, it might not be so bleak when you put all those other games in the same library to choose from. 5k per week needs to end sooner though so a little price cut around Xbox One's Japanese launch would be nice.

Having to count on a Final Fantasy is hard tho, not sure I would trust S-E to deliver on time without questionable quality. I am looking forward to what they show at TGS.

I think Persona 5 being on PS4 will help Persona 5 more than the PS4. I mean sales in the West would be better but I doubt it would give a notable bump to hardware sales in JP unless there was a bundle.

Oregano

Honestly I don't think Square Enix is that confusing of a company. They're not an esoteric actor like Nintendo.

They're basically going to pick the set of platforms where they go "This will make the most money while still running the game successfully and acceptably."

Sure, there are a number of factors into that, like "Do we need to make sure everyone has the same platform for local co-op? Is that only relevant on handhelds? Can that work between generations? Is there enough of an install base? Are we making a game that's an MMO and thus needs special considerations?", but I think you can start with the base proposition of profit maximization and actually get pretty far.

The fact that they went to a ton of effort to get DQX on the 3DS and haven't even hinted at a PS3 version, which would be a lot easier, makes me think the are still associating the brand with Nintendo somewhat though.

It makes me think there is a good chance DQXI is a 3DS/Wii U release.

Nyoro SF

I think Persona 5 being on PS4 will help Persona 5 more than the PS4. I mean sales in the West would be better but I doubt it would give a notable bump to hardware sales in JP unless there was a bundle.

I would be shocked beyond compare if Persona 5 does not show up on the PS4 at some point, either as just a port, cross release or a "remaster".

heidern

The fact that they went to a ton of effort to get DQX on the 3DS and haven't even hinted at a PS3 version, which would be a lot easier, makes me think the are still associating the brand with Nintendo somewhat though.

Well they've both got two screens and a touch screen so this does make sense with the comments about wanting to play it on a big screen.

L~A

No they didn't put tons of effort into DQX for 3DS... it runs off the cloud, which is something they made for the Android release first (with DoCoMo). Wouldn't be surprised if there has been no 3DS version without the cloud.

And DQX11 on Wii U? Not likely in hell. Only if Nintendo foots the bill.

Oregano

No they didn't put tons of effort into DQX for 3DS... it runs off the cloud, which is something they made for the Android release first (with DoCoMo). Wouldn't be surprised if there has been no 3DS version without the cloud.

And DQX11 on Wii U? Not likely in hell. Only if Nintendo foots the bill.

That strikes me as a bigger effort than a PS3 port. Even if it is running on the cloud technology they have still had to tailor it to the 3DS in some form.

I'd say Wii U would probably be incentivised by Nintendo to some extent but it is also a natural companion to a 3DS release. Anything designed for 3DS can be perfectly replicated on Wii U.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Was it actually harder though? They already built the entire cloud architecture and PC port when setting up streaming for iOS/Android.

This is just that streaming setup pointing to a 3DS instead to my understanding.

Oregano

Was it actually harder though? They already built the entire cloud architecture and PC port when setting up streaming for iOS/Android.

This is just that streaming setup pointing to a 3DS instead to my understanding.

Maybe I have it wrong but the fact that the 3DS doesn't have any other cloud capability I would imagine there would quite a bit of logistical work involved.

I'd also make the (possibly foolish) assumption that if it was simple to set up the cloud version on devices that they would be aiming at more platforms, and with less gaps.

EDIT: Regardless, they still priotised PC, Wii U, Mobile AND 3DS releases over a Playstation release and I think that is notable.

Takao

Banned
With the launch of the PS Vita version of Monster Hunter Frontier G, the game has surpassed 4.5 million hunters across all platforms. http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20140819_662672.html

I wonder how many hunters are actively playing ...

Shin Hayari Gami (PS3/PSV) tops 30k. Highest sales for the series

Launch week sales:

Congratulations NIS, I suppose.

Nice to see them have success with something non-Disgaea that won't put me on a government watch list.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Maybe I have it wrong but the fact that the 3DS doesn't have any other cloud capability I would imagine there would quite a bit of logistical work involved.

I'd also make the (possibly foolish) assumption that if it was simple to set up the cloud version on devices that they would be aiming at more platforms, and with less gaps.

EDIT: Regardless, they still priotised PC, Wii U, Mobile AND 3DS releases over a Playstation release and I think that is notable.

I think for the cloud part, my main question would be the resolution it streams at. If it's streaming at some really small resolution on iOS/Android and counting on screen size to make it look less bad that could be part of it.

That said, the PlayStation point is fair. There is presumably an audience on PS3 or PS4 they could target with the game and haven't.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Streaming to 3DS probably takes even less effort or at least bandwith because of that low video feed resolution that is needed.

Its also quite difficult to predict their next move without knowing what kind of game the DQ is supposed to be - for all we know it could be an Action-RPG/MH clone and them trying to realize what they first had planned for DQIX (it wont be).

If we take the premise of a tradition oldschool rpg with turnbased battle system as a fact, then putting it NOT on 3DS would mean they are willing to abandon +3 million sales, which would be madness.

But they are taking their time with this one and it is their Anniversary title so i can see why Horii, just from a creator stand point also wants to deliver a title for their classic home console DQ fanbase.

And while it might sell less on consoles (PS3/WiiU/PS4) - the costs for disc are cheaper and they would be able to charge up too 8.000 Yen again per copy, so thats attractive as well from a commercial point.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Streaming to 3DS probably takes even less effort or at least bandwith because of that low video feed resolution that is needed.

Its also quite difficult to predict their next move without knowing what kind of game the DQ is supposed to be - for all we know it could be an Action-RPG/MH clone and them trying to realize what they first had planned for DQIX (it wont be).

If we take the premise of a tradition oldschool rpg with turnbased battle system as a fact, then putting it NOT on 3DS would mean they are willing to abandon +3 million sales, which would be madness.

But they are taking their time with this one and it is their Anniversary title so i can see why Horii, just from a creator stand point also wants to deliver a title for their classic home console DQ fanbase.

And while it might sell less on consoles (PS3/WiiU/PS4) - the costs for disc are cheaper and they would be able to charge up too 8.000 Yen again per copy, so thats attractive as well from a commercial point.
Right, conceptualizing what the game exactly is would be one of the main blocks I have here in determining most obvious platform set.

If we assume it's basically like the final version of Dragon Quest IX (a regular turn based campaign game with a co-op option) then not putting it on the 3DS seems like insanity.

While I'm not so completely sure how toxic the fanbase became due to the Vita releases. They were also lucky in that back then, when SK released, there was also the 3DS price cut. Versus also got similar treatment with the Vita price cut, but with even way more promotional events. Currently, Kagura 2 has next to no marketing aside from the Nico livestreams. Also more than likely, folks could be waiting for Estival Versus instead now. Looking at things now though, it's as if Marvelous sent it out to die with nearly no support. Sales of Estival Versus will indicate if the SK brand even has any staying power left.

There was much gnashing of teeth among the Nintendo fanbase about SV because MAQL dropped the support for SKB then, while fans were waiting for a patch to correct some minor bugs.

SK2 should have been multiplatform from the get-go. The franchise is only three years old and it's already a complete mess.

Basically.
But I think switching the franchise to only one platform (Sony) may be good, all things considered. The series need focus, and to stop spreading itself with alternative universes, retelling, etc. They need to recenter the series around what made the first game (Hanzo story) 'work', the balance between lighter and darker elements - instead of false drama followed by "we were just fighting for laughs". Switch to a new set of main characters may help, too, and there already is all the characters from SV and NW for that.

School Idol Live and School Girl Strikers are doing well on mobile so there's potential there.

They already did that (New Wave).

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
new releases {2014.08.21}

[3DS] Tetsudou Nippon! Rosen Tabi: Shikatou Rinkai Tetsudou Hen <SLG> (Sonic Powered) (¥6.264)

[PSV] Chaos;Head Dual # <ADV> (5pb.) (¥6.264)
[PSV] Chaos;Head Dual [Limited Edition] <ADV> (5pb.) (¥8.424)
[PSV] Bullet Girls <ACT> (D3 Publisher) (¥6.799)

[PS4] The Last of Us Remastered <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥6.372)
[PS4] Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition <RPG> (Square Enix) (¥8.424)

[PS3] Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition <RPG> (Square Enix) (¥5.184)

[360] World of Tanks: Xbox 360 Edition <ACT> (Microsoft Game Studios) (¥2.052)

Oregano

I think for the cloud part, my main question would be the resolution it streams at. If it's streaming at some really small resolution on iOS/Android and counting on screen size to make it look less bad that could be part of it.

That said, the PlayStation point is fair. There is presumably an audience on PS3 or PS4 they could target with the game and haven't.

I was thinking along the lines of there being a lack of development infrastructure for cloud based applications on the 3DS, although I may be assuming it's more complicated than the reality. The Wifi only nature of the 3DS is also a logistical issue that they must have considered when deciding what platforms to expand to.

Top Bottom