• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 32, 2014 (Aug 04 - Aug 10)

With Obon and Hyrule Warriors maybe is not so crazy, but I don't bet that will be this high.

Looks like it did a 3k bump last obon with no new releases at all and pikmin 3 only doing about half as well as MK is now, so with hyrule warriors launching I could easily see it happening, Mario kart should get a chunky bump too

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Have folks posted this info in this thread before?

The Obon Season [a three day Japanese festival made to honor ancestral spirits] saw strong sales over last year. Especially for the released Wii U software title Hyrule Warriors, with hardware sales going very well. The Wii U software division recorded sales nearly four times that of the previous year.

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/235496-...-at-retail-gives-boost-to-wii-u-sales-as-well

The gonintendo link sources from dualshockers which sources from man tan web which sources from Tsutaya. Thoughts? Also can any person who can read Japanese verify this?

hiska-kun

The Obon Season [a three day Japanese festival made to honor ancestral spirits] saw strong sales over last year. Especially for the released Wii U software title Hyrule Warriors, with hardware sales going very well. The Wii U software division recorded sales nearly four times that of the previous year.

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/235496-...-at-retail-gives-boost-to-wii-u-sales-as-well

The gonintendo link sources from dualshockers which sources from man tan web which sources from Tsutaya. Thoughts? Also can any person who can read Japanese verify this?

This is Tsutaya's report.
All is written here is true... On Tsutaya's stores. :)

I know Mighty Gunvolt was said to have leaked from Famitsu, but nothing else has popped up at all which makes me wonder if it was even from the issue at all, especially since Famitsu and other sites are already covering it.

Is the issue going to leak proper? Kinda getting late for it.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I know Mighty Gunvolt was said to have leaked from Famitsu, but nothing else has popped up at all which makes me wonder if it was even from the issue at all, especially since Famitsu and other sites are already covering it.

Is the issue going to leak proper? Kinda getting late for it.

There was just an announcement for Mighty Gunvolt. It comes free for a limited time alongside Azure Striker Gunvolt.

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/235509-azure-striker-gunvolt-launch-trailer-with-inafune

Watch the end of the video.

Gonna be a close run thing, I'd imagine. My gut says the Wii U will squeak it out in front by a thousand or two, but I'm working on the assumption that the Vita stayed flat last week.

in Japan Vita seems to sell on FUMES alone, it does not need any releases.

I think most people are just counting on the Nintendo holiday boost and not just because of the warriors game

WiiU would need 22k to beat Vita is my guess

SmokyDave

in Japan Vita seems to sell on FUMES alone, it does not need any releases.

I think most people are just counting on the Nintendo holiday boost and not just because of the warriors game

WiiU would need 22k to beat Vita is my guess
I'm the other way around, I'm banking on Hyrule Warriors providing a bump. I think I'm confusing my love for musou with the Japanese market though.

Funnily enough, 22k is exactly the number I had in mind. 20,xxx for Vita.

NateDrake

No chance for Wii U to be over Vita, because it would have to triple its usual sales.
From last week:
PSV # | 18.428
WIU | 13.598

It doesn't need to increase x3 to outsell Vita for the week. Wii U has a decent shot of outselling PS Vita if even by only 1k-2k units if the holiday + Hyrule Warriors give it a bump.

neohwa

From last week:
PSV # | 18.428
WIU | 13.598

It doesn't need to increase x3 to outsell Vita for the week. Wii U has a decent shot of outselling PS Vita if even by only 1k-2k units if the holiday + Hyrule Warriors give it a bump.

Last week that wasn't the usual Wii U sales though. It already got a bump last 2 weeks so it's unreasonable to expect a bump on top of a bump.

17k Wii U.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Last week that wasn't the usual Wii U sales though. It already got a bump last 2 weeks so it's unreasonable to expect a bump on top of a bump.

17k Wii U.

Um what exactly was there to give the Wii U a bump though the past 2 weeks? A DQX "Game of the Year" kind of release that sold 4K? Mario Kart sales that have been going since the beginning of June? Considering we don't quite understand why those bumps have occurred at all, it's kind of hard to say those were usual or unusual bumps. Even 17K Wii U sales is in the Vita range, so I'm not sure why we're arguing over like 5K of sales in what's honestly a range.

17k Wii U.

But then Wii U would have not needed to triple its sales; Wii U usual sales have not been around 5k (5.6 * 3 = 17) since May.

neohwa

Um what exactly was there to give the Wii U a bump though the past 2 weeks? A DQX "Game of the Year" kind of release that sold 4K? Mario Kart sales that have been going since the beginning of June? Considering we don't quite understand why those bumps have occurred at all, it's kind of hard to say those were usual or unusual bumps. Even 17K Wii U sales is in the Vita range, so I'm not sure why we're arguing over like 5K of sales in what's honestly a range.

Summer holiday for kids started for the last 2 weeks and Mario Kart U word of mouth already gave it a big bump that will not last long.

5k is more than 50% increase of Wii U usual sales. That would be a huge range if you call that a range.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
That'd be truely awful for Nintendo

In a market where MK8 didn't move many more Wii U's in the first week it's not that awful. It might be more than that if HW managed to attract more Dinasty Warriors fans into buying a Wii U.

Nah, Hyrule Warriors sales will be around 75-80K *believe*

I surely hope so, but I keep my expectations low. Wii U software sales in the first week in Japan weren't spectacular, except for some big sellers.

RalchAC

I predict WiiU > Vita. Anything less will be disappointing.

WiiU hardware sales have been disapointing for a long time. Mario Kart week hardware sales were lower than what most people suggested.

I'm not saying it couldn't happen. Because it could and the WiiU audience buys more consoles on Obon than the Vita's.

I hope this game is a success though. HW looks quite cool and we may see Musou games making a return to WiiU if the game is a success.

dolemite

Last years' WiiU total (per Dengeki) was about 37k without any new/major release for that week. So 4x37 = 148k. Accounting for the normal software growth of ~15% for the Obon week (again, Dengeki numbers), I get 38k x 1.15 = 43.7k.

The difference is due to the HW release: 148k - 43.7k ~ 100k

That would be well above the most generous expectation.

L~A

Nah, Hyrule Warriors sales will be around 75-80K *believe*

Heh, my money is still on 50k max. Yeah I'm a huge pessimist on that one, but got burnt too many times on launch predictions for Wii U games.

Hopefully Obon + holidays makes up for a good week for the Wii U.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Last years' WiiU total (per Dengeki) was about 37k without any new/major release for that week. So 4x37 = 148k. Accounting for the normal software growth of ~15% for the Obon week (again, Dengeki numbers), I get 38k x 1.15 = 43.7k.

The difference is due to the HW release: 148k - 43.7k ~ 100k

That would be well above the most generous expectation.

You have to consider also the MK8 impact, it has much better legs than Pikmin 3.

I don't know what Koei Tecmo's and Nintendo's expectations are, but IMO even that would be horrible. Gundam Musou debuted at 170K on PS3.

PS3 install base is 5 times bigger and Musou fans are on Playstation.

I don't know what Koei Tecmo's and Nintendo's expectations are, but IMO even that would be horrible. Gundam Musou debuted at 170K on PS3.

What was the old quote about the expectations for gundam musou, something like "one million for gundam, one million for musou" lol

mao2

PS3 install base is 5 times bigger and Musou fans are on Playstation.
According to geimin.net, PS3's LTD at the end of 2007 (the year Gundam Musou was released) was 1,641,671, and it's close to WiiU's current LTD at 1,871,750. While the latter may be true, PS3 was also way more expensive than WiiU, so I think it's a fair comparison.

What was the old quote about the expectations for gundam musou, something like "one million for gundam, one million for musou" lol
I don't remember that quote. Gundam Musou's sales must have been a huge disappointment for them at that time then LOL.

I remember a news report that someone high up in Tecmo Koei expect this to sell more than 1 million worldwide

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=820816
Thanks. Hmm... I have a friend who's a huge fan of Zelda, but he's not interested in Hyrule Warriors at all because ultimately, it's a Warriors game. Hopefully there aren't that many Zelda fans out there who think like him, otherwise Koei Tecmo may have trouble hitting their target.

I was one of those 170k! Go me!
LOL, good job Dave. :D

Top Bottom