• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 32, 2015 (Aug 03 - Aug 09)

Very happy about Splatoon sales continuing. What the heck happened to my beloved Yoshi's Woolly World though? I thought the Japanese would lap it up.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Toward an earlier discussion, here's what Unreal Engine 4 looks like on Qualcomm's newest mobile GPU:

unreal-engine-demo_2-feature.jpg

unreal-engine-demo_1-feature.jpg

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1094907

And here's what it looked like on PC:

They replaced a lot of the mirrors, so it's obviously not handling reflections nearly as well, but it's a pretty convincing recreation.

CrisKre

More and more folks are realizing that if you buy Splatoon, you won't need any other games for the remainder of the generation. I salute these fiscally responsible gamers.

I very much agree with this post. I still play it daily since release and am as addicted as the first day. Its the best new IP of the last decade IMO and one of the better designed games ever. Its a joy seeing it get bigger and bigger.

phanphare

Banned
I very much agree with this post. I still play it daily since release and am as addicted as the first day. Its the best new IP of the last decade IMO and one of the better designed games ever. Its a joy seeing it get bigger and bigger.

agreed, it hasn't left my console since it released

Nintendo should have a new Splatoon single-player campaign DLC next in line for the holidays. Bring in online coop missions as well please!

GOTY 2015.

Great post, but you forgot a point that's as important (if not more) than 1 to 4 combined...

- strong and appropriate marketing campaign both on "traditional media" (TV) and the internet.

Compared to the self-fulfilling prophecy that TW101 and Code Name S.T.E.A.M. were, Nintendo was more than ready to promote Splaton agressively, and it clearly showed in sales.

No amount of hype and advertising can sustain the sales of a game if it ain't good. Splatoon is just so good that word of mouth is making people buy a Wii U to play the game.

phanphare

Banned
I guess I could make a joke about nothing worthwhile since splatoon has come out:) the curse of the wiiu!!!

well you could but that would ignore the games that are already out that I could have potentially swapped in for Splatoon. actually I almost put Smash Bros. in once to play with my cousin but he had to cancel so Splatoon stayed put haha.

Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer and Splatoon doing some nice numbers.
Splatoon showing those sales tentacles
Also nice to see Rhythm Heaven continue to sell

LOCK

Splatoon should be interesting next week, how much will it increase?

I also wonder how Super Mario Maker will perform. Is it showing yet on the preorder charts?

The squid train hasn't brakes.

What's also interesting is that Splatoon, a new IP, now has a 20% attach rate to its console. 20%. And that's just from the numbers we see. Insane. And it might still go up.

(For those not keeping track, even console ultra-juggernauts like Pokemon and Monster Hunter typically have a 25% attach rate or so. Mario is the only man I know who can manage 30% or higher, and he often gets to cheat via pack-ins.)

Hopefully Nintendo gets the hint and keeps the content train coming for Splatoon. I dunno if we'll see another single-player campaign before a paid expansion or sequel (or however they decide to further monetize their new darling), but it'd sure be cool, and might be a good way to tie in the playable Octolings that now seem all but certain to be coming.

How does Splatoon keep going up?

This was the bounce for the 2.0 update coming out.

I think they released some new ads too.

It might be disingenuous to discount the power of pure word-of-mouth at this point, too; Splatoon seems to be becoming a bona-fide Pokemon-or-Monster-Hunter style budding phenom at this point. People keep talking about it, on both sides of the ocean, and the talk alone keeps drawing people in. That's an even more powerful sales inducer than any advertising campaign.

The squid train hasn't brakes.

What's also interesting is that Splatoon, a new IP, now has a 20% attach rate to its console. 20%. And that's just from the numbers we see. Insane. And it might still go up.

(For those not keeping track, even console ultra-juggernauts like Pokemon and Monster Hunter typically have a 25% attach rate or so. Mario is the only man I know who can manage 30% or higher, and he often gets to cheat via pack-ins.)

DoA3 had around 50% on Xbox

Smash Bros attach rate on GC (Famitsu numbers) :
798,910 units sold on 929,832 systems available on 2001 week 52
920,870 units sold on 1,064,457 systems available on 2002 week 01
951,114 units sold on 1,103,395 systems available on 2002 week 02

you can do the math :)
basically during those weeks the attach rate was almost 1:1 (no bundles a la wii u :p )

StevieP

Banned
Toward an earlier discussion, here's what Unreal Engine 4 looks like on Qualcomm's newest mobile GPU:

They replaced a lot of the mirrors, so it's obviously not handling reflections nearly as well, but it's a pretty convincing recreation.

Aside from the obvious texture downgrades, the lighting differences are also pretty stark.

Vena

Hopefully Nintendo gets the hint and keeps the content train coming for Splatoon. I dunno if we'll see another single-player campaign before a paid expansion or sequel (or however they decide to further monetize their new darling), but it'd sure be cool, and might be a good way to tie in the playable Octolings that now seem all but certain to be coming.

They're certainly keeping the publicity running, with the recent tournie announcement which is going to have an official... announcement... later this month.

Eolz

So... Iwata might have been right, at least for Japan, about that game able to make people interested in the WiiU more than the usual ones?
Just too late to change the situation, obviously, but still...

Takao

Banned
sörine;175140885 said:
Taiko's future will be NX no doubt but I wonder what they'll do between then and now. They tend to do handheld releases in summer and console in winter, will they do PS4 this year ir go back to Wii U? Will we see another 3DS outing after this semi-dissapointing Vita debut or will they try Vita again?

I think you're right. I get the feeling we'll see the first (and maybe last) PS4 Taiko this holiday. I also feel like they're done with Wii U and probably Vita after this.

From the Taiko community thread:

Apologies for the double post, but details about the next Taiko Team livestream have been announced, and they include discussion of a brand new Taiko game (as in not the im@s one). Safe money is on the third Wii U game, but who really knows, given what an unusual year this has already been for the series. Maybe it's a PS4 game! Maybe it's a 3DS game! Maybe it's yet another Vita game since you're already putting 3 out this year what harm could another do

3/4 Taiko games (depending on how you qualify the im@s ones) in one year is pretty crazy. Reminds me of the PS2 days. Feels like I'm being spoiled, lol. This year rules, never any lack of cool new rhythm games to play!

edit: spoiler alert it's a wii u game, lol. the wii u3 subdomain was just reserved, much like it is for all games immediately preceding their announcement

The Idolmaster game he's referring to is a Vita Taiko reskin.

For genre expansion, a Nintendo-ized MOBA strikes me as an incredibly appropriate fit. There's a lot of expanded-view entries in the MOBA genre right now (Awesomenauts, Monday Night Combat 1, Battleborn, Gigantic) and I feel there's a ton of room to make something that isn't an RTS camera game to get the genre working on consoles.

That would be amazingly interesting if they did this and pulled it off to Splatoon levels.

Am I the only one who wants Nintendo to cool it for a bit in terms of a Splatoon sequel? The last thing I'd want is for it to become another checkbox franchise.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
From the Taiko community thread:

The Idolmaster game he's referring to is a Vita Taiko reskin.

sörine;175140885 said:
Taiko's future will be NX no doubt but I wonder what they'll do between then and now. They tend to do handheld releases in summer and console in winter, will they do PS4 this year ir go back to Wii U? Will we see another 3DS outing after this semi-dissapointing Vita debut or will they try Vita again?

I think you're right. I get the feeling we'll see the first (and maybe last) PS4 Taiko this holiday. I also feel like they're done with Wii U and probably Vita after this.

Looks like Taiko Wii U 3 is probably a thing. Hero of Legend just posted a topic about it since there's a website reserved for it.

I've been hopeful since like 2012 that Nintendo would go with Qualcomm/Snapdragon for their next handheld.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Aside from the obvious texture downgrades, the lighting differences are also pretty stark.
Right, though given the bloomsplosion I can't tell if that's just Qualcomm making poor lighting artistic choices thinking it shows off hardware features.

That said, the old debate I was referring to was less "Are modern mobile parts comparable to PS4?" and more "I feel it makes more sense to downgrade DQXI PS4 than to up port DQXI 3DS unless the NX is on notably old hardware, especially given the standard DQVII sets for doing that."

javac

I kinda want to get Splatoon now.

I mean, the game is incredible (avoided the pun) so you really should. I don't play shooters but there really isn't an equal to Splatoon. It's a really addicting game, and I'm somebody who never plays online games and I don't say that lightly. My online resume consists of Mario Kart and that's pretty much it but man this game is great. In and out of matches quickly, great customization options and a variety of weapons to suit different individuals all wrapped up in a slick presentation. Glad its doing well.

Regarding Splatoon's strength, let's not forget that after the E3 announcement of the game, a deluge of fanarts and fan materials were made merely hours after the unveiling.

Even before the marketing for the game and the details about the gameplay mechanics, I feel that the strong character designs of the Inklings -- in particular the girl Inkling -- have contributed to its popularity before and after the game's release. They're cool, they're hip, they're edgy and they're cute, and they're just fresh. I doubt the game would be as popular if they opted for a more derivative character design (i.e. "cool" and "hip" regular kids), even if the marketing and the gameplay are kept the same.

Vena

so Splatoon might actually keep WiiU at a respectable level until SMM is released in September... amazing

And when their powers combine...

Regarding Splatoon's strength, let's not forget that after the E3 announcement of the game, a deluge of fanarts and fan materials were made merely hours after the unveiling.

Even before the marketing for the game and the details about the gameplay mechanics, I feel that the strong character designs of the Inklings -- in particular the girl Inkling -- have contributed to its popularity before and after the game's release. They're cool, they're hip, they're edgy and they're cute, and they're just fresh. I doubt the game would be as popular if they opted for a more derivative character design (i.e. "cool" and "hip" regular kids), even if the marketing and the gameplay are kept the same.

Nintendo did a bunch of art contests too prior to release which really helped, and such events tend to help also bring artists to the forefront which leads to more fanart, etc. They really embraced the fledgling fandom and ran with it, especially with the "Squid Researchers" who seemed to have been given pretty much free reign to do whatever they wanted.

Its a real perfect storm, and you know Nintendo wasn't even expecting it since they said as much. The girl was a knockout hit, the gameplay is polished to a mirror shine even if the features aren't ALL there, and the way the fans exploded around art and around the Squid Research theme (and it just keeps going, now, with Splatfests and just the ongoing "attitude" of Splatoon's characters), just gave the game a different sort of life.

Interesting, but we all know that Nintendo isn't likely to use a bleeding-edge SoC in either the NX console or the NX handheld.

If that's what you're alluding to, anyway.

Top Bottom