• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 32, 2015 (Aug 03 - Aug 09)

sphinx

the piano man
but if NX is exclusivly a home console, why in the world would Atlus move the EO series to it?

The series isn't that strong to make the leap to unproven hardware with little or no userbase successfully, it basically needs the 3DS userbase, and it needs two screens so it's not happening on anything playstation.

Vena

but if NX is exclusivly a home console, why in the world would Atlus move the EO series to it?

The series isn't that strong to make the leap to unproven hardware with little or no userbase successfully, it basically needs the 3DS userbase, and it needs two screens so it's not happening on anything playstation.

Why would it ever be a home console exclusively?

L~A

YSO predictions

week 34, 2015 (Aug 17 - Aug 23)

[3DS] Super Robot Wars BX < 110k
[3DS] Animal Crossing < 110k
[3DS] Yokai-Watch Busters < 60k

That's pretty low for Super Robot Wars BX, no?

Then again, I believe UX didn't do too hot in the first place.

sörine

Banned
Persona 5 got a PS4 version because of the West. Etrian Odyssey certainly doesn't have so much appeal outside Japan to warrant a next handheld version (provided it does come out in 2016). And that's provided the next hanheld is popular outside Japan to begin with.
I'd argue even if it's only for the west (which I don't think's true) P5 PS4 already presents a change in thinking for Atlus. It was similar for the 3DS ports of Devil Survivor 1-2, Atlus is a bit more open to spreading games around than they were during PS2/DS/PSP. EOV not having it's platform known yet is suspicious to say the least, that's never happened before for the series.

You sort of just answered your own question there.

Niche games tend to need big bases less. That's why Vita can still get a good amount of Japanese support with a smaller userbase. I don't think EO "needs" 3DS in the way something like Yokai Watch or Monster Hunter do.

I'd also argue EO doesn't need two screens, it could get by on just one large screen. It does need a touchscreen though and one with stylus precision. Vita wouldn't cut it without serious reworking.

casiopao

YSO predictions

week 34, 2015 (Aug 17 - Aug 23)

[3DS] Super Robot Wars BX < 110k
[3DS] Animal Crossing < 110k
[3DS] Yokai-Watch Busters < 60k

How does the last SRW on 3DS does? As 110k seems to me comparable to their latest one here. Or it is my memory which is making mistake here?

AC and YW still holding all that good position.^_^

Vena

How does the last SRW on 3DS does? As 110k seems to me comparable to their latest one here. Or it is my memory which is making mistake here?

AC and YW still holding all that good position.^_^

That's pretty low for Super Robot Wars BX, no?

Then again, I believe UX didn't do too hot in the first place.

03./00. [3DS] Super Robot Wars UX # <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.03.14} (¥7.140) - 115.384 / NEW

Fisico

Media Create
03./00. [3DS] Super Robot Wars UX # <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.03.14} (¥7.140) - 115.384 / NEW

Famitsu
03./00. [3DS] Super Robot Wars UX # <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.03.14} (¥7.140) - 120.751 / NEW

Additionnaly

NDS Super Robot Wars W 172,190 278,027 Banpresto 2007-03-01
NDS Super Robot Wars K 131,638 213,454 Bandai Namco 2009-03-20
NDS Super Robot Wars L 123,933 181,459 Bandai Namco 2010-11-25

So yeah you can see the trend, SRT games don't see growth usually.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

If the NX is exclusively a home console, Nintendo might as well exit the hardware business.

There's going to be no meaningful support for a three year late console and the 3DS is still sub-PSP garbage tier in the West outside of the two months the New 3DS launched in.

SEGA soft launching Cranky Food Friends in the west, a reskin of Puyo Puyo Quest
cranky_food_friends.png

Is the Puyo brand so dead outside of Japan that they'd rather put in the resources to reskin Puyo Quest instead of just straight up transl-

oh right.

Vena

Seems like a lot of new multi platform announcements are dropping ps3 versions

What do you define as a lot? And what do you think is the actual "lead" platform for these games?

Also I do think MGSV is the start of the death of the PS3 software sales on major titles anyway, since this should be the first and then growing number of PS4>PS3 numbers as the latter's user-base dies off either through atrophy or upgrades. They won't need to chase the PS3 audience forever since the active ones will upgrade inevitably, but they are still adding on Vita to actually have some semblance of a healthy platform to target.

Maniel

Banned
What do you define as a lot? And what do you think is the actual "lead" platform for these games?

Also I do think MGSV is the start of the death of the PS3 software sales on major titles anyway, since this should be the first and then growing number of PS4>PS3 numbers as the latter's user-base dies off either through atrophy or upgrades. They won't need to chase the PS3 audience forever since the active ones will upgrade inevitably, but they are still adding on Vita to actually have some semblance of a healthy platform to target.
Well we had 2 announcements just today. Obviously those games are built to work on vita, but would u call it the "lead" when the ps4 will run it at 1080p/60fps. Not really related to sales tho.

udivision

SEGA soft launching Cranky Food Friends in the west, a reskin of Puyo Puyo Quest
http://s14.postimg.org/iouny9ee9/cranky_food_friends.png[img]

Is the Puyo brand so dead outside of Japan that they'd rather put in the resources to reskin Puyo Quest instead of just straight up transl-

oh right.[/QUOTE]

Better than Crying Breakfast Friends.

I don't get that show.

Vena

Well we had 2 announcements just today. Obviously those games are built to work on vita, but would u call it the "lead" when the ps4 will run it at 1080p/60fps. Not really related to sales tho.

Right but the "big" releases for a long while yet will, and already have been, announced as PS3 titles as well as PS4 titles (and some as well as Vita titles to attempt to maintain healthy sales against decay, like DQH2). Which is why I said what I said, the sales breakdowns (probably starting with MGSV) will shift over time towards the PS4, so releases coming half to a year from now, really have no business coming out on the PS3 (unless the situation somehow gets dire). The PS3 audience is fading, either upgrading outright or moving on from gaming or Sony's hardware or consoles or whatever, and chasing them is a losing prospective in the long run.

This is, also, why the PS4's failure started a proactive and panicked response from certain third parties. If it flounders any worse than it already has, then as the PS3's base fades, the scene gets worse for the console space and either you have to pray that the west somehow bails you out or you have to move to something else, whether that be mobile or handhelds. (And you'll notice the presence of a lot of Vita, play for both: handhelds for home and potential hope from the west. However, if the west shows to be unreceptive to the games and they don't perform well at home either (on PS4, that is) don't be surprised if they fade away as well with time and just settle on Vita.)

Maniel

Banned
Right but the "big" releases for a long while yet will, and already have been, announced as PS3 titles as well as PS4 titles (and some as well as Vita titles to attempt to maintain healthy sales against decay, like DQH2). Which is why I said what I said, the sales breakdowns (probably starting with MGSV) will shift over time towards the PS4, so releases coming half to a year from now, really have no business coming out on the PS3 (unless the situation somehow gets dire). The PS3 audience is fading, either upgrading outright or moving on from gaming or Sony's hardware or consoles or whatever, and chasing them is a losing prospective in the long run.

This is, also, why the PS4's failure started a proactive and panicked response from certain third parties. If it flounders any worse than it already has, then as the PS3's base fades, the scene gets worse for the console space and either you have to pray that the west somehow bails you out or you have to move to something else, whether that be mobile or handhelds. (And you'll notice the presence of a lot of Vita, play for both: handhelds for home and potential hope from the west. However, if the west shows to be unreceptive to the games and they don't perform well at home either (on PS4, that is) don't be surprised if they fade away as well with time and just settle on Vita.)
I agree with you. I guess our difference was just in expectation. I honestly expected all new announcements, that rely on Japan for sales, to include PS3 versions well into 2016.

Also to be honest, I think we have only really seen a full on panic response from Square Enix. Even from them, is their increase in ps4 announcements really panicking, or acknowledgement that their games sell better in the west?

Edit: On second thought, they are releasing Dragon Quest XI on ps4, so maybe I'm wrong.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
That'd be very unlike Atlus, which has always been pretty conservative when it comes to platform choices. Besides, I don't think there's any evidence their plans changed at one point.

Guess we'll see in the upcoming weeks.

Well,yes, indeed. If the game is unveiled again in the next few weeks (TGS is the perfect event), it'll be 3DS only (assuming the usual announcement-to-release period for several titles in Japan).

...unless they somehow obtain to unveil the game, show a cinematic trailer (for an EO game...) without unveiling the platform somehow, but I doubt it.

Mpl90

One week later, but whatever.

I feel it's ultimately about the mindset though. Mario Kart is an incredibly different game from the platforming Mario series, and Smash actually finds a lot of strength within the IPs it uses. Obviously both Splatoon and Pikmin have a lot of identity tied to the new character concepts they came up with.

The key thing is to do whatever makes the most sense for the game, regardless of the IP you're using. If that means using a new IP, then that's the right choice, but to me the distinction ultimately comes down to what the developers find themselves willing to do as opposed to what category the IP fits into. To use some other companies, Hearthstone (and WoW before it) and Tribes are very different than their parent IPs.

I don't personally care either way, but it's just a distinction I like to raise between making a new IP (which might not have good and/or new ideas at all) and making a fundamentally sound product with new ideas.

For genre expansion, a Nintendo-ized MOBA strikes me as an incredibly appropriate fit. There's a lot of expanded-view entries in the MOBA genre right now (Awesomenauts, Monday Night Combat 1, Battleborn, Gigantic) and I feel there's a ton of room to make something that isn't an RTS camera game to get the genre working on consoles.

Mmmhhh...yeah, you're not wrong, actually. We've had very successful brand expansions in the past that could've been new IPs but, in the end, they didn't and it worked out great, and now we're seeing a brand new IP, with no attachment to other IPs doing great. I could connect what I said and your post by saying that developing the game as a new IP (and not as a Mario shooter as it was first thought) made the most sense, allowing developers to bring on new, fresh (I had to say it) ideas for the genre, as well as an iconic style, both drawing positive attention since the announcement.

If I must talk with personal preferencies in mind, though, I hope Nintendo will release more examples of the latter thinking-process (sound major new IPs that make sense) in the future (not because I don't want Mario/Zelda/DK/etc., but because I just want more project with the Splatoon-like thinking behind...aside from Splatoon 2/Callie & Marie: Project Kid/Squid f/a full flegged Splatoon platform game/whatever they want to release in the SGU - Splatoon Gaming Universe - :p ).

Also, about Nintendo doing a MOBA...call me crazy, but I believe The Wonderful 101 concept could've been adapted as a Nintendo's MOBA, but this is probably just me, I repeat.

P.S. Since Picross 2 3D was announced...and with a great price attached (3,000 Yen without taxes --> should be 3,240 when taxes are applied), do we know what was Picross 3D (the DS game) priced back when it launched in 2009?

hiska-kun

The Blog posted:

4.2+1.8&#65309;6.0&#12288;2.1+0.6+0.7&#65309;3.4

3.0+1.7 &#65309;4.7&#12288;1.7+0.3+1.9&#65309;3.9

____

If we use last year's hardware numbers:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=878741

3DS 42k (just XL model) + WiiU 18k = 60k

PSV 21k + PS3 6k + PS4 7k = 34k

That means this year Obon:

3DS 30k (probably just the New XL model) + WiiU 17k = 47k

PSV 17k (TV probably not included) + PS3 3k + PS4 19k = 39k

The Blog posted:

4.2+1.8&#65309;6.0&#12288;2.1+0.6+0.7&#65309;3.4

3.0+1.7 &#65309;4.7&#12288;1.7+0.3+1.9&#65309;3.9

____

If we use last year's hardware numbers:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=878741

3DS 42k (just XL model) + WiiU 18k = 60k

PSV 21k + PS3 6k + PS4 7k = 34k

That means this year Obon:

3DS 30k (probably just the New XL model) + WiiU 17k = 47k

PSV 17k (TV probably not included) + PS3 3k + PS4 19k = 39k

Interesting, thanks!

L~A

3DS had zero rise and nothing amazing for the other 3 systems. I hope sw W-O-W comparisons are more interesting.

Yup, looks like Software is where the real deal will be at (at least for 3DS games and Splatoon).

Anyway, more details about the Splatoon Koshien 2016!

Basically two parts:

1) tournaments across Japan, 7 major cities (1 day for each)
2) big tournament at Game Party Japan 2016 (that NicoNico game show)

I posted some more details on my website, for those interested.

In other words, it's a pretty big thing. Not quite like major eSport tournaments, but still big enough.

Also: stage for the local tournaments:

Nintendo is really pushing Splatoon hard, which is the best thing they've done this gen (by far). I can't wait to see how Splatoon will grow next-gen.

L~A

Media Create:

New3DS LL 30,105
PS4 18,503
Vita 17,400
Wii U 16,567
New3DS 8,326
PS3 3,448
3DS 2,752
3DS LL 1,065
Vita TV 672
Xbox One 195

Happy Home Designer: 140k.
Youkai: 100k
Splatoon: 40k

Media Create:

New3DS LL 30,105
PS4 18,503
Vita 17,400
Wii U 16,567
New3DS 8,326
PS3 3,448
3DS 2,752
3DS LL 1,065
Vita TV 672
Xbox One 195

Happy Home Designer: 140k.
Youkai: 100k
Splatoon: 40k

Looks like Comgnet was not representative this week then.

Famitsu

Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer (Nintendo) 3DS – 172,898
Yo-Kai Watch Busters: Akaneko-dan / Shiroinu-tai (Level 5) 3DS – 60,832
Splatoon (Nintendo) Wii U – 42,828
Rhythm Heaven: The Best+ (Nintendo) 3DS – 28,638
Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo) Wii U – 11,268
Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition (Sony) Vita – 11,067
Fire Emblem Fates: White Kingdom / Black Kingdom (Nintendo) 3DS – 8,378
Sengoku Basara 4: Sumeragi (Capcom) PS3 – 7,152
Pocket Monster Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire (Pokémon) 3DS – 6,630
Cho Tosochu: Atsumare! Saikyo no Tososha-tachi (Bandai Namco) 3DS – 6,362

And here are the hardware rankings:

New Nintendo 3DS XL – 34,972
Wii U – 19,259
PS4 ­– 17,420
PS Vita – 15,825
New Nintendo 3DS – 6,790
PS3 – 3,040
Nintendo 3DS – 2,244
Nintendo 3DS XL – 1,039
PS Vita TV – 498
Xbox One – 208

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/anim...sells-over-170-000-copies-in-week-one/0154532

Mpl90

The fuck happened for Yokai Watch between Famitsu and MC. And hardware shows several differencies as well.

Vena

Yup, looks like Software is where the real deal will be at (at least for 3DS games and Splatoon).

Anyway, more details about the Splatoon Koshien 2016!

Basically two parts:

1) tournaments across Japan, 7 major cities (1 day for each)
2) big tournament at Game Party Japan 2016 (that NicoNico game show)

I posted some more details on my website, for those interested.

In other words, it's a pretty big thing. Not quite like major eSport tournaments, but still big enough.

Also: stage for the local tournaments:

Nintendo is really pushing Splatoon hard, which is the best thing they've done this gen (by far). I can't wait to see how Splatoon will grow next-gen.

I'd think something like this would be new thread worthy, since its actually rather unique information on Splatoon and, in the past, we've had "esport" threads about it.

Edit: Nevermind, seems to be a new thread already actually that I missed.

Top Bottom