• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 33, 2012 (Aug 13 - Aug 19)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Battlefield crowd used to but neither of those other two games care for it, nor does CoD.

and i know this is a japanese sales thread, but american companies who might normally bring over 3ds games opt to bring psp stuff because it's more guaranteed not to outright bomb. i think that's pretty much over this year though.

I'm shocked the west got as many PSP titles in 2012 as it did.

Battlefield crowd used to but neither of those other two games care for it, nor does CoD.

If a game is selling 10+ million copies i can pretty much guarantee the vast majority of them don't really care that much about graphics. That's not to say they don't like pretty games but they won't be able the spot the differences like people on here would.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
For Resident Evil on consoles, I feel it kind of fits with schuelma's "Going all in on the West." criteria, with Revelations being the big attempt at Japan.

Yeah, RE seems to be headed towards or is already a full on Western accommodation. That is a franchise I could see Wii U being left out on- at least the main title.

flawfuls

Not that it's really impacting them sales wise, but even still the PSP is taking some projects (especially anime tie-ins and certain niche series) away from the 3DS.

I think the PS3 is the more likely second choice the otaku centric anime games especially with the hybrid disc thing that has been happening lately.

Yup.

The thing, though, is that the GTA, Skyrim, Battlefield crowd cares about graphics.
So, even if Nintendo tried, it'd very difficult to appeal to them without the hardware.

Open world games are never about the graphics it's nice if they look as good as possible but what is possible isn't going to be competing with the best looking games on a system.

AniHawk

Yeah, RE seems to be headed towards or is already a full on Western accommodation. That is a franchise I could see Wii U being left out on- at least the main title.

maybe it'll get the detective spinoff game where you have to investigate the crime scene and find out who the real zombie really is.

Dalthien

and i know this is a japanese sales thread, but american companies who might normally bring over 3ds games opt to bring psp stuff because it's more guaranteed not to outright bomb. i think that's pretty much over this year though.

Uhmmm...

Looking over the NPD charts for PSP, and nothing has even reached 5k in its opening month in 2012. Maybe you're referring to PSN titles?

Erethian

Most of the low balling is because there has only been one standout sales title since launch and that's just not enough data to get a good estimate on.

There's plenty of data on Vita failures though.

Also some people might be going off Comgnet where interest in the title has been well below the PSP entries, and around the same level as the 3DS game.

Shion

If a game is selling 10+ million copies i can pretty much guarantee the vast majority of them don't really care that much about graphics. That's not to say they don't like pretty games but they won't be able the spot the differences like people on here would.
Depends on how big the graphical gap is. A gap similar to that between PS2 and XBOX would probably be unnoticeable by the majority (or they wouldn't even care). But if Wii U is a whole gen behind in terms of graphics, then the deference is going to be visible by everyone.

AniHawk

Uhmmm...

Looking over the NPD charts for PSP, and nothing has even reached 5k in its opening month in 2012. Maybe you're referring to PSN titles?

i'm talking about the smaller companies, but especially with regards to psp titles only available on psn, since those can be played on the vita.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What I *suspect* might happen/might be happening right now is Wii U/PS3 development is pumping up, with an eye towards eventually dropping the PS3 when the PS4 comes out.

For the next 2 years I think most HD projects will at the very least have Wii U/PS3 versions.

Yeah, I mean, I feel that any game where A.) it's a Japanese targeted console title, B.) the developer has shown the ability to do a simultaneous multiplatform release, and C.) the developer has shown no signs of wanting to push the boundaries of what's possible on PS4, then even with a small amount of monetary incentive Nintendo should have no trouble getting a Wii U version of a PS3 game that matches these criteria, unless the developer has it engrained to their core that the audience for their game doesn't exist on Nintendo platforms.

Also some people might be going off Comgnet where interest in the title has been well below the PSP entries, and around the same level as the 3DS game.

It will be sad if this bombs since it seems like a really high effort game from Sega, and I would like to see them rewarded for trying to help reinforce their new quality first mantra.

flawfuls

It will be sad if this bombs since it seems like a really high effort game from Sega, and I would like to see them rewarded for trying to help reinforce their new quality first mantra.

Well at they do have a second chance with the PS3 version.

I know this is a Japanese sales thread (so this is slightly tangent) but the discussion the past few pages got me thinking. Why exactly are there big AAA Western third party games like Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed on Vita and not 3DS? This isn't some sort of off-hand port-begging, I just can't understand why Western pubs would put something this expensive on Vita exclusively when PSP had no presence here and there was no real reason to expect Vita to either. And it's not like Madden where it is simply on everything, these games don't exist on 3DS so Activision and Ubitsoft consciously made the decision to put these games on Vita over 3DS.

Japanese publishers, sure, they could have reasonably counted on Monster Hunter propping up the Vita over there at the time all these decisions were made.

Santiako

I know this is a Japanese sales thread (so this is slightly tangent) but the discussion the past few pages got me thinking. Why exactly are there big AAA Western third party games like Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed on Vita and not 3DS? This isn't some sort of off-hand port-begging, I just can't understand why Western pubs would put something this expensive on Vita exclusively when PSP had no presence here and there was no real reason to expect Vita to either. And it's not like Madden where it is simply on everything, these games don't exist on 3DS so Activision and Ubitsoft consciously made the decision to put these games on Vita over 3DS.

Japanese publishers, sure, they could have reasonably counted on Monster Hunter propping up the Vita over there at the time all these decisions were made.

They were probably greenlit before the vita launched, and no one though it would bomb this hard.

I'm guessing it's maybe cheaper to reuse engine/assets for Vita than make new stuff for 3DS?

AniHawk

They were probably greenlit before the vita launched, and no one though it would bomb this hard.

that, and i assume sony wanted their future in the west, where the ds, 360, and wii sold exceptionally well. i think they made the effort to get those titles, while assuming japanese support would come more naturally.

and then stuff happened.

Takao

Banned

Madden is on everything but 3DS.

Sony likely promised to bundle every big third party game (which they are) or help fund them.

Yeah, I've been anticipating some strong Japanese support for the Wii U, personally. for the reasons mentioned earlier, of course. With the 3DS dominating the market and the Wii U clearly capable of handling the current console efforts, Japanese developers can easily transition to the platform without having to sink years and millions into R&D. For smaller devs this should be a huge boon. We've already seen it a bit with Monster Hunter and 3DS.

Nintendo could realize that getting the Japanese market on lock down will provide them with the third-party support they need late in the game. Fighting tooth and nail for western support is futile -- they don't want to get into an arms race. No platform Nintendo ever puts out will be the lead platform for a company like Epic or something. So why bother? Consolidate and provide solid footing for the third-parties you know you can work with.

BowieZ

Banned
If Nintendo developed a hardcore (violent and graphically impressive) first-party title, what do you think it would ideally constitute, gameplay-wise?

And are they even capable of this, technically and artistically?

/slightly off-topic but continuing the secondary discussion in here

terrisus

I still think that if Nintendo wants to appeal to the GTA, Skyrim, and Battlefield crowd then they need to do it through first/ second party efforts instead of only trying to convice third parties to release those type of games on their console.

How much of a market is there in Japan for those kinds of games though?
The west is a different matter of course, but, considering that's how this conversation started (and what the thread is about in general, of course), filling a gap for the Japanese market, and Japanese publishers being on-board, not sure how much the "GTA, Skyrim, and Battlefield crowd" matters for that. Certainly hasn't helped the XBox much in Japan in any event.

Western third parties love multiplatform, the only thing stopping the Wii from getting them last gen was its power. Sure they might seem to be a little shy right now, but thats only because the system isn't even out yet. If Activision is willing to port COD to it, I don't doubt that Wii-U will get 90% of multiplatform titles with 720/PS4.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Western third parties love multiplatform, the only thing stopping the Wii from getting them last gen was its power. Sure they might seem to be a little shy right now, but thats only because the system isn't even out yet.If Activision is willing to port COD to it, I don't doubt that Wii-U will get 90% of multiplatform titles with 720/PS4
Pretty much how I'm seeing it.

Foshy

Prediction League September 2012

[3DS] Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (5 wk) - 88,888
[3DS] Senran Kagura Burst (5 wk) - 77,777
[PSV] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f (5 wk) - 159,999
[PSP] Gundam AGE: CD / UA (5 wk) - 59,999
[PS3+360] Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (3 wk) - 109,999
[3DS] Samurai Warriors Chronicle 2nd (3 wk) - 44,444
[3DS] Medabots 7: Metabee / Rokusho (3 wk) - 88,888
[PSP] Final Fantasy III (2 wk) - 55,555
[PSP] SD Gundam G Generation Overworld (1 wk) - 66,666
[PS3+360] Dead or Alive 5 (1 wk) - 69,699
[PSV] Ys: Foliage Ocean in Celceta (1 wk) - 24,999

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Predictions

[3DS] Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (5 wk) - 98.765
[3DS] Senran Kagura Burst (5 wk) - 65.432
[PSV] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f (5 wk) - 210.987
[PSP] Gundam AGE: CD / UA (5 wk) - 56.789
[PS3+360] Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (3 wk) - 67.890
[3DS] Samurai Warriors Chronicle 2nd (3 wk) - 54.321
[3DS] Medabots 7: Metabee / Rokusho (3 wk) - 123.456
[PSP] Final Fantasy III (2 wk) - 67.890
[PSP] SD Gundam G Generation Overworld (1 wk) - 145.678
[PS3+360] Dead or Alive 5 (1 wk) - 34.567
[PSV] Ys: Foliage Ocean in Celceta (1 wk) - 32.109

I'm shocked the west got as many PSP titles in 2012 as it did.

Well as long as the userbase is big enough to cover translation cost and gain some extra spare cash why not ;) Especially when you can do digital only cutting cost and risk to minimum.

Predictions

[3DS] Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (5 wk) - 80,000
[3DS] Senran Kagura Burst (5 wk) - 100,000
[PSV] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f (5 wk) - 220,000
[PSP] Gundam AGE: CD / UA (5 wk) - 50,000
[PS3+360] Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (3 wk) - 100,000
[3DS] Samurai Warriors Chronicle 2nd (3 wk) - 40,000
[3DS] Medabots 7: Metabee / Rokusho (3 wk) - 100,000
[PSP] Final Fantasy III (2 wk) - 50,000
[PSP] SD Gundam G Generation Overworld (1 wk) - 100,000
[PS3+360] Dead or Alive 5 (1 wk) - 80,000
[PSV] Ys: Foliage Ocean in Celceta (1 wk) - 60,000

Shikoro

Predictions

[3DS] Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (5 wk) - 98.765
[3DS] Senran Kagura Burst (5 wk) - 65.432
[PSV] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f (5 wk) - 210.987
[PSP] Gundam AGE: CD / UA (5 wk) - 56.789
[PS3+360] Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (3 wk) - 67.890
[3DS] Samurai Warriors Chronicle 2nd (3 wk) - 54.321
[3DS] Medabots 7: Metabee / Rokusho (3 wk) - 123.456
[PSP] Final Fantasy III (2 wk) - 67.890
[PSP] SD Gundam G Generation Overworld (1 wk) - 145.678
[PS3+360] Dead or Alive 5 (1 wk) - 34.567
[PSV] Ys: Foliage Ocean in Celceta (1 wk) - 32.109
Wow, you really think it's going to do so well? I mean, it would be nice, but I doubt it. I hope I'm wrong, though. :D

Yeshua

[3DS] Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (5 wk) - 100,000
[3DS] Senran Kagura Burst (5 wk) - 100,000
[PSV] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f (5 wk) - 170,000
[PSP] Gundam AGE: CD / UA (5 wk) - 25,000
[PS3+360] Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (3 wk) - 120,000
[3DS] Samurai Warriors Chronicle 2nd (3 wk) - 150,000
[3DS] Medabots 7: Metabee / Rokusho (3 wk) - 100,000
[PSP] Final Fantasy III (2 wk) - 30,000
[PSP] SD Gundam G Generation Overworld (1 wk) - 130,000
[PS3+360] Dead or Alive 5 (1 wk) - 50,000
[PSV] Ys: Foliage Ocean in Celceta (1 wk) - 40,000

Kenka

Predictions

[3DS] Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (5 wk) - 127.000
[3DS] Senran Kagura Burst (5 wk) - 67.000
[PSV] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f (5 wk) - 147.000
[PSP] Gundam AGE: CD / UA (5 wk) - 67.000
[PS3+360] Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (3 wk) - 87.000
[3DS] Samurai Warriors Chronicle 2nd (3 wk) - 107.000
[3DS] Medabots 7: Metabee / Rokusho (3 wk) - 97.000
[PSP] Final Fantasy III (2 wk) - 117.000
[PSP] SD Gundam G Generation Overworld (1 wk) - 77.000
[PS3+360] Dead or Alive 5 (1 wk) - 47.000
[PSV] Ys: Foliage Ocean in Celceta (1 wk) - 27.000

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I fail to understand how people can be so optimistic regarding Wii U, especially in terms of future third party support.

I think that there could be reasons to foresee a decent (decent, not outstanding) support to the Wii U from Jap devs (someone already mentioned the most important ones) but at the same time, I personally am really doubtful, especially due to the absolute lack of any announcments (exept DQX, Tank and Tekken). I know, and schuelma know very well, that we should expect Jap sw to be announced during next NDirect or Jap pre-TGS conf, but I'll keep my expectation very low until we see something real.
SO, up to now I think that the only judgment we can do about third party jap support is awful, but we should also leave open the chance of a real unveil soon.

XDDX

Predictions:

[3DS] Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (5 wk) -125,000
[3DS] Senran Kagura Burst (5 wk) - 95,000
[PSV] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f (5 wk) - 170,000
[PSP] Gundam AGE: CD / UA (5 wk) - 65,000
[PS3+360] Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (3 wk) - 120,000
[3DS] Samurai Warriors Chronicle 2nd (3 wk) -75,000
[3DS] Medabots 7: Metabee / Rokusho (3 wk) - 75,000
[PSP] Final Fantasy III (2 wk) - 40,000
[PSP] SD Gundam G Generation Overworld (1 wk) - 120,000
[PS3+360] Dead or Alive 5 (1 wk) - 45,000
[PSV] Ys: Foliage Ocean in Celceta (1 wk) - 25,000

Gradivus

Which is the last number we know for Fire Emblem? I'd like to see whether there's a chance to reach the 500k mark.

418.750 (Jun 11 - Jun 17) Famitsu (Week 25) 4.274
417.760 (Jun 18 - Jun 24) M-Create (Week 25) 3.972

It needs to make it about 3,000 every week since after Week 25 to hit the 500,000.

With the surge of the 3DS now selling around 100,000 a week now and holidays sales, it might be able to do it on the charts. If not, with the extra 30,000 from the bundles that weren't added to the charts along with FE still appearing on the charts, it will most likely make it to that mark easily.

Alrus

Isn't that INSANE for a Suda game? Holy fucking shit. Congrats to them.

Well outside of the first No More Heroes which, iirc, shipped around 500k, yeah it's pretty insane. His games usually sell terribly (in part because they get zero marketing effort from the publishers).

MrT-Tar

around 500k for 1, 350k for 2. I was expecting less from 2, actually

So the original did very well then? It can't have had that high development costs, so I guess Grasshopper must be pretty happy with the series' sales. I pretty sure I remember seeing it in one of those '3rd party/'hardcore' games don't sell on the Wii' threads and articles sites get every now and then, but tbh I can't see why given those sales.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Fantasic result for Lollipop Chainsaw. And this bodes well for future Kadodawa-Warner Bros. partnerships.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
418.750 (Jun 11 - Jun 17) Famitsu (Week 25) 4.274
417.760 (Jun 18 - Jun 24) M-Create (Week 25) 3.972

It needs to make it about 3,000 every week since after Week 25 to hit the 500,000.

With the surge of the 3DS now selling around 100,000 a week now and holidays sales, it might be able to do it on the charts. If not, with the extra 30,000 from the bundles that weren't added to the charts along with FE still appearing on the charts, it will most likely make it to that mark easily.

The 30k number of bundles was never confirmed and the LTD is closer to 440k right now.

Top Bottom