• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 33, 2012 (Aug 13 - Aug 19)

beginning to be impressed by the legs that 3DS software seem to be developing in Japan, particularly for 3rd parties
previously thought that the 3DS 8m vs Vita 1m race was a joke, but now not so sure ... Miku should put that one to bed next week though

Who?

Road

I've done the space trick from the beginning. Usually I have problem when a tracker decides to use the english name and I have the Japanese and the opposite, but 90% there is complete match.

Yeah, the English x Katakana thing is annoying -- only English, only katakana or both.

I noticed Famitsu generally doesn't like to leave it only in English, but there really isn't any set rules we can work with. Even using their own site lists end up in a mismatch occasionally.

liger05

The current environment is perfect for the Wii U in Japan. The home console market seems to be ripe for a new console.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
The current environment is perfect for the Wii U in Japan. The home console market seems to be ripe for a new console.

I agree there is a real opportunity for Nintendo. Of course, it would help if they actually like announced stuff for Japan so we could judge the type of launch lineup it will have.

There's Miku next week which will pull up hardware. However, the fall lineup isn't exactly great for the Japanese market. Maybe they'll show off some stuff at TGS.

Looking at the above sales, that could be the only non-Nintendo-platform game in the top 20 next week!
Miku should do a big boost though right? (relatively anyway) The bundle looks pretty incredible and famitsu gave it a good score (and people say Sony don't invest in the Vita ;)).

But yeah the Fall lineup...theres nothing but two western games who I kind of doubt will get a Japanese release (although am guessing Sony is also distributing COD so it might appear).

Certainly Miku won't hold things up till New Year though so theres a real problem for Vita having its second holiday...with less to sell it than its first (launch during Holiday). Sony really need to show an RPG at TGS; its like they haven't even bothered with the Japanese market, maybe they took it for granted.

When is the last time the top two increased sales over their previous week's sales?

New Year with 3D Land and Mario Kart :) Nintendo knows best.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Nintendomination again.

Hopefully they'll be able to establish the same environment they have for the 3DS on the Wii U. But I'm kiiiiind of fearful of it.

With Wii they really had to start from the beginning concerning Third Party relations. Games like SW 3, Tale sof Graces or MH Tri came way to late.

Right now they have the chance to announce some bigger titles before the launch of the system - WiiU will probably the main DQX system for the upcoming years, Monster Hunter 4U(Online) could get announced, Samurai Warriors 4 could be announced especially considering the tight relation ships Nintendo and Tecmo-Koei are having right now, Level 5 support should be their as well... i wonder if they could get "real" Konami support, meaing Project Ogre/MGS 5 will also be released on WiiU - i doubt it, but you never know.

Its also been years since a new mainline FF hit a Nintendo console. Lets see if WiiU can change that.

Wii got burned by uprising PSP support from 07/08, but with the way Vita is selling right now i doubt it`ll be in the same spot for third parties wen considering bigger projects, which also cater to western markets.

BowieZ

Banned
previously thought that the 3DS 8m vs Vita 1m race was a joke, but now not so sure ... Miku should put that one to bed next week though
I wouldn't bet my life on it, though. Could go either way. Surprisingly strong 3DS sales coupled with at-expectation PSV sales could make for a close finish!

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

I think you are right, also because PS3 wasn't able to replace the Wii once it faded as 360 was able to do in US, especially (imho) because of the portable market.
And if you look, software-wise Wii is still able (not only now with DQX) to make a lot of sw chart.
But Wii U will need the right software, imho, and up to now only New Mario seems to be tough enough (maybe also Land..?)
we'll see if they'll announce some sort of Jap support or not before launch.

EDIT: Oh, and they must place it at the right price

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Wii U vs PS4 would likely be another Wii vs PS3 in Japan. But this time Wii U has a one year headstart. I foresee another 3DS vs Vita scenario.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
It would be good if Nintendo announced Wii U details for anyway, not just Japan.

schuelma

It would be good if Nintendo announced Wii U details for anyway, not just Japan.

True, but at least in other territories 3rd parties have actually announced their lineup.

disco

I now feel convinced that the 3DS, like the DS, PS2 and PS1 before it is a healthy environment for third parties. Sales aren't as insane as when the DS took off but still much better than most people expected. Really good week.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Wii U vs PS4 would likely be another Wii vs PS3 in Japan. But this time Wii U has a one year headstart. I foresee another 3DS vs Vita scenario.

well...i highly doubt it, at least for the moment.
3ds had huge japanese software announced alrady at E3 2010.
everything can change, but it's obviously easier to get third party support on 3ds compared to the wii u, in Japan, imho.

schuelma

The event on Sept 13th is at New York, so it's pretty clear it won't be Japan-only news.

I am reasonably confident the US event will strictly be launch details. Japan should have 3rd party stuff announced.

donny2112

05./07. [3DS] Tohoku University Aging Medicine Research Institute - Headed By Professor Ryuta Kawashima - Train your Brain Effectively in 5 minutes a day with Oni Training <HOB> (Nintendo) {2012.07.28} (¥3.800) - 20.372 / 115.695 (-12%)

Wow. Onitore dropped during Obon week. Guess the Brain Training ship really has sailed in Japan. :(

I am reasonably confident the US event will strictly be launch details. Japan should have 3rd party stuff announced.

You forgot about Activision. When else will Black Ops II be shown off?

I think there probably are a few unannounced games that will be shown, mostly multiplatform titles. Though I'm not expecting much.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I don't think anyone can be surprised, Sony included. There's no reason for any PSP owner to upgrade to the Vita at this time. Why not? What games am I missing?
I think the PSP has little to do with the demise of the Vita whatsoever.

zroid

Banned
Trust in the power of Miku!

I'm impressed with how the 3DS OG seems to be holding perfectly. It's like the LL has tapped an entirely new market. This probably won't last for long, though.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Impressive.
What did SF IV on 360/PS3?
And Super on 360/PS3/3DS?

Street fighter PS3: 157,704
Street fighter 360: 52,937

Super Street Fighter PS3: 153,924
Super Street Fighter 360: 42,928

Super Street Fighter 3ds: 137,883

Super Street Fighter Arcade Edition PS3: 82,179
Super Street Fighter Arcade Edition 360: 9,229

Street Fighter X Tekken PS3: 72,079
Street Fighter X Tekken 360: 8,115

I'm interested to see what sort of impact the wii U has on the PS3. The PS3 is starting to fall behind last years numbers when its competition is basically non existent in the home console market. I've seen a lot of talk about how the PS3 will continue selling well right into next gen but i'm curious how that will actually unfold.

PSV is seeming more positive outlook wise. Not because its selling well, but that since Persona 4 came out, its not been in those dreadful 6k numbers again. Maybe it can struggle along at that price if the games do come?

It got down to 9K last week and still hadn't really stabilised, i don't think things have changed much. Also i don't think there is really any difference between selling 6K and 9K a week.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'm interested to see what sort of impact the wii U has on the PS3. The PS3 is starting to fall behind last years numbers when its competition is basically non existent in the home console market. I've seen a lot of talk about how the PS3 will continue selling well right into next gen but i'm curious how that will actually unfold.

It got down to 9K last week and still hadn't really stabilised, i don't think things have changed much. Also i don't think there is really any difference between selling 6K and 9K a week.

We'll see, but with the rumored new model/cut price and the very solid lineup for next fall in Japan, I'm really confident it will sell very well next Xmas against the Wii U in Japan.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Interesting to see how the original 3DS holds up against 3DS LL. Was this the case with DS/DS LL as well? Don't really remember those numbers.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I know that they are different trackers, but have you seen this?!

Famitsu:
NDS # | 410

Media Create:
NDS # | 2.256

WOW!

donny2112

Does Pokemon usually have this sort of legs?

No. Usually it's better than this.

I thought it was another game that sold massive then fell away.

No. Before Black/White, the highest first week/LTD % was < 40%. Black/White was more frontloaded at ~48%, and Black 2/White 2 seems to be tracking pretty close to Black/White compared to their respective first week sales.

I've seen a lot of talk about how the PS3 will continue selling well right into next gen

Don't see why it would, especially in Japan.

yon61

We'll see, but with the rumored new model/cut price and the very solid lineup for next fall in Japan, I'm really confident it will sell very well next Xmas against the Wii U in Japan.

The Vita's situation is too bad to even be thinking that far ahead. What happens this Christmas will determine its 2013. If sales don't improve enough this year then you can forget about next fall.

The Vita's situation is too bad to even be thinking that far ahead. What happens this Christmas will determine its 2013. If sales don't improve enough this year then you can forget about next fall.

I think that was in reply to my comment about the PS3 not the vita.

Don't see why it would, especially in Japan.

Well i'm inclined to agree but i think most of it tends to stem from the PS2 having such a long tail.

Top Bottom