• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 33, 2013 (Aug 12 - Aug 18)

The major reason for this year's weak sales is that the successors of PSP and Wii are underperforming big time. 3DS and PS3 can't keep the market up alone and if PS4 has the same fate next year will be even worse. Monster Hunter and Pokemon will only manage to close the gap with 2012, sales keep falling more behind week after week.
Given a combination of this and what went down at Level 5 Vision, TGS this year might be very interesting (or depressing depending on who you are)...

If it's about that position on the national charts it should sell between 10K and 15K, which is terrible, but it might be lucky and get ~40K LTD in the end.

In all likelihood, it will debut lower than LEGO City Undercover (18K), and will probably follow a lower trend.

LEGO City Undercover is currently at 36K after 4 weeks, and is trending at ~5K a week.

So assuming TW101 manages a ~12K debut, and hits ~4K a week soon afterwards, I could definitely see a ~40K lifetime possibility in the cards.

FZZ

Banned
Prediction League September, 2013

[3DS] Monster Hunter 4 (16 days) - 2,444,444
[PS3] JoJo's All Star Battle (32 days) - 550,987
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIV ARR (34 days) - 89,123
[PS3+360] Lost Planet 3 (32 days) - 80,000
[PS3+PSV] Sen no Kiseki (4 days) - 89,456
[WIU] Zelda Wind Waker HD (4 days) - 75,000
[3DS] Little Battlers eXperience Wars (4 days) - 48,000
[3DS] Hardware (35 days) - 666,666

One thing with the whole mobile discussion from last page, why not also put those games out on psn/eshop?

both handhelds have touch controls and in the very near future both home consoles will also have touch controllers.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
One thing with the whole mobile discussion from last page, why not also put those games out on psn/eshop?

both handhelds have touch controls and in the very near future both home consoles will also have touch controllers.

Well for the 3DS:
1.) It's not an OpenGL ES 2.0 compliant device and only has 96 MB of RAM for developers, so this isn't the world's easiest port for a lot of games.
2.) A lot of these games are free 2 play titles with lots of microtransactions and frequent patching/live events, so I'm not sure how easy that is on 3DS.

For Vita, well, at this point smartphone ports are actually a fair portion of its support, but there honestly just aren't that many people to sell to relative to the install base of iOS/Android, especially when you consider f2p conversion rates.

So, my questions:
1.) Level 5 billed all these games as being made by "Wonderful Staff". Now, while I assume some of them are working on multiple projects (like Hino himself), I have to imagine some of the directors are only on their project. Do you think this represents a strategy shift for Level 5 to have more prominent mobile games overall, perhaps at the cost of some of their handheld output? Jiro Ishii (Time Travelers) especially sticks out given he doesn't have another game announced.
2.) Do you think more mid-size publishers/developer will follow suit? Obviously we've seen big publishers attempting this, and some 1-2 team studios, but Level 5 is kind of interesting size wise.
3.) If these are not just card battle RPGs (which seems to be the implication?), and they have success, do you think they will inspire more traditional-ish Japanese games to show up on mobile?

I don't make predictions with my few posts in these threads; i at most will sing the praises or gloat/lament bombas and mostly stick to reading as I'm a learner in this field, but since this is opinion:

1) Don't know too much about L5, but I do know they have experience with bite-sized (asset, money, and time investiture-wise) with the Guild games, so "what" definately isn't

2) I had that thought too: Nintendo and/or Sony's handhelds get abandoned or at least cross-ported to mobiles. One thing that Nintendo and to a lesser extent the PSP/Vita had was a strong "these games you want are here and nowhere else" attraction baked-in with exclusives. This would be a terrible blow for either, and with those meteoric rises in mmmmmmmmmobiles (all that anectodal evidence from the last year wasn't BS!) I'm willing to guess "yes". This depends on...

3) The price ceiling (or at least Gougy McBilkington freemium crap) will have to be consistantly shattered and those that do rewarded with sales first. Leaping to these without a solid ground that can support the extra "weight" would be just as dangerous as staying to a flighty executive eyeing those growth reports.

Glass Rebel

Yeah there aren't many as whole, especially that have had any notable kind of promotion.

Square Enix has been going on about how they want to bring more traditional handheld/console games to mobile, and we did see them do that with Deus Ex, but if they're going to follow through in Japan will be an interesting question.

This is a fairly new strategy though so at earliest I imagine we will see it at this TGS, but quite possible the next instead.

I don't know how mobile games are perceived in Japan but if it's like in the West the first challenge to overcome will be that $0.99 price barrier. Take-Two was apparently successful with XCOM at $20 but that's one data point and another port to boot. And then you're also looking at the issue of data size, market visibility etc. It doesn't help that everybody is looking at the money Puzzle & Dragons is making either. Due to the nature of their respective markets I think that there won't be a direct shift of games from handhelds to mobile devices but rather an allocation of resources at the expense of handheld games. At least not at first.

If the numbers for Zero no Kiseki (PSP) and Ao no Kiseki (PSP) are any indication, I'd expect Sen no Kiseki's opening to be above 100,000 total.

Especially since it's been two years since the last canon game. We'll see! *fingers crossed*

mao2

803460476.jpg

Kamiya bought 2 copies.
https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/371895952002400256

XDDX

Daigasso 3DS website just opened. Looks like it's being developed by Intelligent Systems and still stated for a 2013 release. There so many games for 3DS coming up in Japan.

The bombastic 101

Can someone update the board

(sighs)

Remember the PS3 board? And how nothing on that list "saved" the PS3? And yet the PS3 didn't fail away into obscurity?

It's because there is no one action to "save" a platform; in aggregate they combine to make a platform more palatable and it sells to that critical mass.

So Pikmin 3 doesn't "save the Wii U" and only adds 1K a week to Wii U's baseline. 9K/week or 10K/week, that's still crap. But raise the floor another 100 units/week with TW101. And another 3K with Mario 3D World. And 1K for Donkey Kong. And a K for Wii Fit. Add another 5K for Mario Kart. Now it's selling 20K/week (or double where it started) which is still not great but it's something, and no one game actually created that turnaround.

(sighs)

Remember the PS3 board? And how nothing on that list "saved" the PS3? And yet the PS3 didn't fail away into obscurity?

It's because there is no one action to "save" a platform; in aggregate they combine to make a platform more palatable and it sells to that critical mass.

So Pikmin 3 doesn't "save the Wii U" and only adds 1K a week to Wii U's baseline. 9K/week or 10K/week, that's still crap. But raise the floor another 100 units/week with TW101. And another 3K with Mario 3D World. And 1K for Donkey Kong. And a K for Wii Fit. Add another 5K for Mario Kart. Now it's selling 20K/week (or double where it started) which is still not great but it's something, and no one game actually created that turnaround.

20K per week was baseline for ps3 slim - that's not going to happen

Kikujiro

(sighs)

People had fun with the PS3 chalkboard, let people have fun with the WiiU one too.

Afrit

Well for the 3DS:
1.) It's not an OpenGL ES 2.0 compliant device and only has 96 MB of RAM for developers, so this isn't the world's easiest port for a lot of games.
2.) A lot of these games are free 2 play titles with lots of microtransactions and frequent patching/live events, so I'm not sure how easy that is on 3DS.

For Vita, well, at this point smartphone ports are actually a fair portion of its support, but there honestly just aren't that many people to sell to relative to the install base of iOS/Android, especially when you consider f2p conversion rates.

Your post makes more sense now after WonderFlick announcment (iOS/Android/PS3/PS4/Vita//Wii U/XboxOne).
It seems better to develop stand alone games for 3DS rather than ports.

Edit: I missed that Layton 7 Coming for iOS/Android/3DS.
point refuted..

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

It's not so simplistic and of course there are cases a single game created a turnaround

Glass Rebel

Your post makes more sense now after WonderFlick announcment (iOS/Android/PS3/PS4/Vita//Wii U/XboxOne).

point refuted..

Wonderflick is probably not coming to 3DS because of the networking/F2P features

Road

I think we are seeing that there will likely be no more traditional handhelds and they will ve very mobile based. The exclusive handheld market is quickly falling apart.

RalchAC

Maybe it's a bad question but, was Japan going to handheld japaneses' fault or markets fault? It may be a weird question, but if you think about it early in the generation there was:

A) A home-console with weird motion controls (the Wii) that was succesful. But most small to mid developers won't be afraid of investigating how to use them properly.

B) A home-console (X360) from America whose predecessor sold 500k. Moreover, they started the gen moneyhating / coofunding / funding some JRPGs projects. Most of them ended in Sony's console, but one year late (like Star Ocean, Eternal Sonata, Tales of Vesperia...). It has to be very confusing.

C) A home-console (PS3) whose price was a rip off. Moreover, some of their succesful franchises and some mid to high profile JRPGs where in Microsoft's console. And some where exclusively in the Xbox for 1 to 2 years.

If I was a Japanese I would probably feel confused and asking: why is the Xbox receiving so many titles I want? Why the only "cool" JRPG for Sony is Folklore?

And after that, I see the handheld market. There is the NDS with lots of awesome games, both casual and hardcore. There I can play SMT, M64, Pokemon, Zelda, Fire Emblem, Tales of, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest... and there are a couple of cool casual games like Brain Training, Nintendogs, Cats and a lot more.

And there is the PSP which was like a PS1.5 and where you can play Monster Hunter, more SMT games, lots of JRPGs, SRPGs, visual novels, lots of games based in succesful shows...

Looking back at 2006 I feel I would end playing portable too if I was japanese. I don't know when most of the games numbered where released, but I think you understand the point even if some games where published later.

Handhelds are just are more convenient. It was an inevitability that consoles would falter once handheld gaming left the proverbial ghetto. Now console makers certainly helped accelerate that decline, but it was going to happen. And now we will see a contraction of the entire traditional market.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

point refuted..

I feel this is actually an interesting distinction.

The first game has full 3D RPG battles, whereas the second is just a... I can't really even tell, but it doesn't look especially complicated.

The first game is also a new IP, and doesn't have its audience on a particular platform, whereas in theory the Layton audience overwhelmingly owns a 3DS and/or smartphone, yet it's unlikely to appeal to people that don't own those platforms.

Road

I think we are seeing that there will likely be no more traditional handhelds and they will ve very mobile based. The exclusive handheld market is quickly falling apart.

Well, next-gen there will be a traditional handheld from Nintendo with their games and whatever 3rd party games they are moneyhatting.

The question is which will disappear first in Japan: dedicated home consoles or dedicated handhelds.

Scum

So, 15k - 18k for W101, huh. Oh well. Time for £239.99 bundle equivalent in ¥.

Well, next-gen there will be a traditional handheld from Nintendo with their games and whatever 3rd party games they are moneyhatting.

The question is which will disappear first in Japan: dedicated home consoles or dedicated handhelds.

I'll go with consoles, with handhelds not too far behind.

Well I feel an Android device with integrated buttons is the obvious next choice for Sony, and they don't seem too opposed to the idea, but I don't know if they have the strength to carry it to success.

Right which is why i feel the next nintendo device will either run some android variant or the OS and platform will be developed with the mobile market in mind.

Also back up a sec isn't sales going to drop next week so w101 is looking at a 6-8k opening at that position?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

I don't know, I'm still seeing many big and mid-level and some niche releases for 3DS, as well as some mid-level and many nice stuff titles on Vita. What disappeared from shelves are many of the very, very little titles we would have seen on DS and PSP. Some of them are on eShop/PSN, the majority is on iOS. Still, I wouldn't use a title like Layton 7, which is coming on 3DS too and is...not a Layton title, at all, for this arguement.

However, I can perfectly see the next Nintendo handheld being traditional, still two screens, but NOT separated anymore, and both touch. In this way, portings from mobile would be way, way easier to do, with no need to create a separate version of the title.

...And the more the time passes, the more it's possible home consoles will come back to the spotlight when Nintendo will release the hybrid XD

...And the more the time passes, the more it's possible home consoles will come back to the spotlight when Nintendo will release the hybrid XD

Huh? What accelerated their decline hasn't gotten better. It's gotten much worse in japan. Unless you think this mobile game thing is a fad that will go away and not get much bigger. Also i will be very interested in 2014 JPN 3rd party 3DS release list.

Top Bottom