• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 33, 2013 (Aug 12 - Aug 18)

This is seriously the 7th entry in a series that used to sell almost 1 million copies.

ymLfVEA.jpg

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvDXoqqHDGE

Apparently the game is titled Layton 7 because there are 7 main characters in it, so it doesn't really belong to the Professor Layton series.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The 7 in the title refers to the amount of characters, which are seven...most probably. Otherwise, it'd be "Professor Layton and the ________", like the others, which weren't...this.

Apparently the game is titled Layton 7 because there are 7 main characters in it, so it doesn't really belong to the Professor Layton series.

I don't think they picked this name with zero intent to have evocation of a 7th title. :p

That said I wouldn't be overly surprised to see something a bit more traditional in the future.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Courtesy of Bruno MB in the other thread, I think this does a nice job showing the console/handheld divide between East and West, even for a traditional JRPG.

Code:
[B]Japan [/B]

[NDS] Ni no Kuni: Shikkoku no Madoushi (Level 5) {2010.12.09} - 554,378 
[PS3] Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (Level 5) {2011.11.17} - 150,715 
[PS3] Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (All-in-One Edition) (Level 5) {2012.07.19} - 17,328

Total sales as of December 30, 2012 - 722,421 (current shipped number is probably around 750,000)

Source: Media Create

[B]Rest of the world[/B]

- About 650,000 (PS3 version)

[B]Worldwide[/B]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The DS game wasn't released in the west though.

Right, I just meant more the console sales in Japan versus the console sales in the West, especially considering how well the handheld game did in Japan.

I feel we're still dealing with low enough levels that "Number of Active PS3s" wasn't really a gating factor to its Japanese performance.

The handheld game releasing in the West would have been rather interesting though so see that comparison too.

Right, I just meant more the console sales in Japan versus the console sales in the West, especially considering how well the handheld game did in Japan.

I feel we're still dealing with low enough levels that "Number of Active PS3s" wasn't really a gating factor to its Japanese performance.

The handheld game releasing in the West would have been rather interesting though so see that comparison too.

Ah, I get you now. The PS3 game was a huge flop in Japan no doubt, though I wonder if the DS version being already released affected its performance, and whether it was an advantage in the West with the DS version being absent there.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Ah, I get you now. The PS3 game was a huge flop in Japan no doubt, though I wonder if the DS version being already released affected its performance, and whether it was an advantage in the West with the DS version being absent there.

Yeah, that would be my main question as well, along with what degree the handheld game would do that comparatively in the West.

jcm

Handhelds are just are more convenient. It was an inevitability that consoles would falter once handheld gaming left the proverbial ghetto. Now console makers certainly helped accelerate that decline, but it was going to happen. And now we will see a contraction of the entire traditional market.

If it's an inevitability, why has it only happened in one territory?

Layton 7 has to be one of the more disgusting things i've seen and breath of fire was so recent

If it's an inevitability, why has it only happened in one territory?

I meant an inevitability in japan with the local transportation system playing such a huge role in everyday life and with how the population is distributed. Handhelds just make so much more sense. And even in the west we are seeing how huge ios/android is becoming that fits people's lifestyles much better.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Huh? What accelerated their decline hasn't gotten better. It's gotten much worse in japan. Unless you think this mobile game thing is a fad that will go away and not get much bigger. Also i will be very interested in 2014 JPN 3rd party 3DS release list.

What I meant is that, since home consoles are declining, and the market is much more handhelds and mobile oriented, the only way to see a home console being at the top again would be an hybrid console, like a handheld console that, thanks to a separated device, can play games on TV and be used as a controller. It was a sort of joke :p

About 3rd party 3DS release list in 2014: well, the console sell lots of third party software, of various genres, both core and casual, and hardware sales will be still very high, so I don't see any problem for 3rd party Japanese content on 3DS in 2014.

duckroll

Remember when Nirolak posted some time back that there was a "big announcement" for God Eater coming in Dengeki Maou this month? And he was expecting an anime adaptation? Lol.

SURPRISE! The BIG ANNOUNCEMENT for the God Eater manga running in Dengeki Maou, a manga magazine, is that they are going to continue the manga in a new manga series based on God Eater 2!

Okay, carry on. :)

Scum

What I meant is that, since home consoles are declining, and the market is much more handhelds and mobile oriented, the only way to see a home console being at the top again would be an hybrid console, like a handheld console that, thanks to a separated device, can play games on TV and be used as a controller. It was a sort of joke :p
I await the inevitable Miiverse/eShop/Android box under the TV and New Gamepad/Gameboy™ on the go.

Remember when Nirolak posted some time back that there was a "big announcement" for God Eater coming in Dengeki Maou this month? And he was expecting an anime adaptation? Lol.

SURPRISE! The BIG ANNOUNCEMENT for the God Eater manga running in Dengeki Maou, a manga magazine, is that they are going to continue the manga in a new manga series based on God Eater 2!

Okay, carry on. :)
Yourself and Nirolak are enjoying all this, aren't you? :p

Courtesy of Bruno MB in the other thread, I think this does a nice job showing the console/handheld divide between East and West, even for a traditional JRPG.

Code:
[B]Japan [/B]

[NDS] Ni no Kuni: Shikkoku no Madoushi (Level 5) {2010.12.09} - 554,378 
[PS3] Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (Level 5) {2011.11.17} - 150,715 
[PS3] Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (All-in-One Edition) (Level 5) {2012.07.19} - 17,328

Total sales as of December 30, 2012 - 722,421 (current shipped number is probably around 750,000)

Source: Media Create

[B]Rest of the world[/B]

- About 650,000 (PS3 version)

[B]Worldwide[/B]

The DS version was basically the same story/gameplay wise except it was cut shorter. There wasn't much difference TBH. I think the sales of the DS version butchered the PS3 version in Japan. They shouldn't have released it on DS.

Yakuza: Ishin hardware annoucement
Our speculation will end before the Tokyo Game Show, which runs from September 19 to 22, as Nagoshi said on a live stream today the platform would be announced prior to the Chiba event. Perhaps, then, we’ll see it at Sony Japan’s September 9 press conference?

Source: Gematsu

Kandinsky

Well, next-gen there will be a traditional handheld from Nintendo with their games and whatever 3rd party games they are moneyhatting.

The question is which will disappear first in Japan: dedicated home consoles or dedicated handhelds.

Man I can't wait for the PS4 to start breaking records worldwide (it will), so we can stop with the tired "console/hh gaming is dying" talk :p

Mpl90

Man I can't wait for the PS4 to start breaking records worldwide (it will), so we can stop with the tired "console/hh gaming is dying" talk :p

But I wanted PS4 to sell well enough this Holiday, now it won't. Thanks, Kandisky ;_;

duckroll

I guess Sony's 9/9 conference is going to be a huge moment for Japan's console industry. Either it will build confidence in the JP launch and get people excited about the next generation, or it will be underwhelming and continue to further doom the future of the console market in Japan.

Handhelds are just are more convenient. It was an inevitability that consoles would falter once handheld gaming left the proverbial ghetto. Now console makers certainly helped accelerate that decline, but it was going to happen. And now we will see a contraction of the entire traditional market.

"The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated"

Mark Twain

I still think that current market performance is in huge part a matter of pathetic console generation not total shift of market orientation.

PS3- super expensive, still above 20k Yens so far in it's lifetime, week library in early years.
Wii - premature dead, lack of 3rd party support
X360 - Microsoft policy of buying exclusives murdered jRPG genre for little gains for years.
Wii U - beatifull combo of overpriced hardware and the biggest software drough in history.

With one dominating, affordable , easy to work with console for next generation we will see if home consoles really are dying software wise.

Code:
[B][U]Tsutaya Software Sales Rankings: Week 34, 2013 (Aug 19 - Aug 25)	Comgnet Software Sales Rankings: Week 34, 2013 (Aug 19 - Aug 25)[/U][/B]

[B]01./NEW [PS3] Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masou Kishin III		01. [PS3] Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masou Kishin III – 86pt
02./NEW [PSV] Conception II: Shichisei no Michibiki to Mazuru no Akumu	02. [PSV] Conception II: Shichisei no Michibiki to Mazuru no Akumu – 51pt[/b]
03./01. [3DS] Disney Magic Castle: My Happy Life			03. [3DS] Mario & Luigi: Dream Team – 39pt
[B]04./NEW [PSV] Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masou Kishin III		04. [PSV] Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Masou Kishin III – 33pt[/b]
05./02. [3DS] Mario & Luigi: Dream Team					05. [3DS] Disney Magic Castle: My Happy Life – 31pt
06./03. [3DS] Youkai Watch						06. [3DS] Friend Collection: New Life – 24pt
07./06. [3DS] Friend Collection: New Life				07. [PS3] Dragon's Crown – 21pt
[B]08./NEW [PS3] Dungeons & Dragons Collection: Mystara Eiyuu Senki[/B]	08. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf – 20pt
09./04. [3DS] Ace Attorney 5						[b]09. [PS3] Dungeons & Dragons Collection: Mystara Eiyuu Senki – 19pt[/b]
10./12. [PS3] Earth Defense Force 2025					10. [PSP] God Eater: Burst (PSP the Best Reprint) – 18pt
[B]11./NEW [3DS] Conception II: Shichisei no Michibiki to Mazuru no Akumu[/B]	11. [PS3] The Last of Us – 16pt
12./05. [PS3] Dragon's Crown						12. [PS3] Earth Defense Force 2025 – 15pt
13./10. [3DS] Fantasy Life: Link!					13. [3DS] Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon – 15pt
14./09. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf 				14. [3DS] Hoppechan: Tsukutte! Asonde! Punipuni Town!! – 14pt
15./08. [WIU] Pikmin 3							[b]15. [3DS] Conception II: Shichisei no Michibiki to Mazuru no Akumu – 14pt[/b]
[B]16./NEW [WIU] The Wonderful 101[/B]						16. [3DS] One Piece: Romance Dawn - Bouken no Yoake – 14pt
17./07. [3DS] One Piece: Romance Dawn - Bouken no Yoake			17. [3DS] Ace Attorney 5 – 13pt
18./18. [PSP] Dangan-Ronpa (PSP the Best)				18. [PS3] The Witch and the Hundred Knights – 11pt
19./13. [PSP] Toukiden							19. [3DS] Youkai Watch – 11pt
20./21. [PS3] The Last of Us						20. [WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii: Super Deluxe Edition – 10pt
[B]* New releases are in bold						* 1 pt = 1 sale		
3DS - 9									3DS - 10
PS3 - 5									PS3 - 6
PSV - 2									PSV - 2
WIU - 2									PSP - 1
PSP - 2									WII - 1
[/b]

[B][U]New releases not present in either Top 20:[/U]

[3DS] Nanami to Issho ni Gakubo! English Joutatsu no Kotsu

[PSP] Romeo Vs. Juliet
[PSP] Romeo Vs. Juliet (Deluxe Edition)

[PS3] Disorder 6
[PS3] Disorder 6 (Limited Edition)
[PS3] Medal of Honor: Warfighter (EA Best Hits)

[360] Disorder 6
[360] Disorder 6 (Limited Edition)
[360] Medal of Honor: Warfighter (EA Best Hits)
[/B]

2013 Tsutaya + Comgnet Weekly Sales Archive

Comgnet is finally up, and---no surprise to anyone---TW101 is nowhere to be found.

With #16 on Tsutaya and >#20 on Comgnet, it's safe to say that it won't be matching LEGO City Undercover (#13 on Tsutaya, #07 on Comgnet) anytime soon.

Nibel

Comgnet is finally up, and no surprise to anyone, TW101 is nowhere to be found.

With #16 on Tsutaya and >#20 on Comgnet, it's safe to say that it won't be matching LEGO City Undercover (#13 on Tsutaya, #07 on Comgnet) anytime soon.

ii0YAm3RVksT7.gif

#FuckEarth

DaBoss

And then 5 years into the life cycle when all of the consoles it can't surpass the combined sales of the PS3/360 we'll be in full blast of console gaming is dying. Handheld gaming is already dying.

*goes back to crying in the corner*

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Comgnet is finally up, and---no surprise to anyone---TW101 is nowhere to be found.

Told ya

Bruno MB

It seems the worst case scenario for The Wonderful 101 will happen. It will be very pathetic if it opens below 10.000 units.

In Comgnet, JoJo's All Star Battle got lots of pre-orders (91, total 502) in the last four days.

Asd202

I guess Sony's 9/9 conference is going to be a huge moment for Japan's console industry. Either it will build confidence in the JP launch and get people excited about the next generation, or it will be underwhelming and continue to further doom the future of the console market in Japan.

Yeah that event is actually very important for people like me it will either make or break next gen, for some time at least.

Road

So a certain blog says, ouch.

edit: that's the weekend sell-through too, not just first day

Yep.

As Chris1964 said, neither MC nor Famitsu have reports that would include first-day sales for a Saturday release.

However, both have a preview of sales Monday, which is what the blog is probably looking at.

Mpl90

It's the blog we usually use for first day reports.

Now I saw it. There's also an update about Conception II 3DS: more than 30% of sell-through in its first week (since its shipment was 30k, this means around 10k).

Top Bottom