• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 34, 2014 (Aug 18 - Aug 24)

Atram

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Sep 1 to Sep 28):

[XBO] Hardware (25 days) - 75.000
[XBO] Dead Rising 3 (25 days) - 50.000
[3DS] Dragon Quest X (25 days) - 120.000
[PS4+PS3] Destiny (18 days) - 200.000
[3DS] Super Smash Bros. for 3DS (16 days) - 1.000.000
[WIU] Bayonetta 2 (9 days) - 80.000
[PSV+PS3] Sen no Kiseki II (4 days) - 160.000
[PSV] Danganronpa Another Episode (4 days) - 50.000
[WIU] Fatal Frame V (2 days) - 30.000

L~A

Tsutaya's weekly report

- Toukiden is on top this week as it was expected. There's the impression it had a slow start, though. But Vita Hardware is in a good shape now, so legs are expected.
- Persona 4: Arena is second. These days fighting games are not selling well, so the fact that Persona is selling well is special.
- Super Robot Taisen OG Saga and specially Medarot 8 have been stock limited.

Next week:

- Dragon Quest X for 3DS is expected to top the charts. Pre-orders are favorable.
- The reputation for TitanFall was high and it's included as a download version with One, so it could promote a dash start.
- Pre-orders for Dead Rising 3 and Forza 5 are good.

http://mantan-web.jp/2014/09/02/20140902dog00m200053000c.html?mode=pc

Medarot was stock limited? Hmm... no idea if it's good news or bad news. Maybe both. Surprised about Dragon Quest X, hopefully it gets a nice start.

Speaking of DQX, the PC version is now "region free" but what about the Wii/WiiU and soon to be 3DS one? I know the hardware itself is region locked, but if I were import the new 3DS with a copy of DQX, can I play it?

According to Aena who tweeted about it, looks like Squeenix was hit by DDOS recently, and their solution was to put the IP lock back in place. So even though I believe it's a temporary measure, I doubt it'd be safe to import the game no matter the version.

Anyway, interesting week today, especially with the truckload of new games. And I know it's a bit early, but I'm curious to see how the 3DS will hold in the upcoming weeks. There's always a really bad drop just before a model is released, but this time around, there's that small game called Smash Bros. 3DS inbetween. Curious to see what impact it'll have on sale, one month before the new models.

Medarot was stock limited? Hmm... no idea if it's good news or bad news. Maybe both. Surprised about Dragon Quest X, hopefully it gets a nice start.

I think it depends on how big the first shipment was. Retailers were of course less willing to stock the game since the first two were oversupplied (Dual in particular); but if, for example, they sold out 30-35k units, it means a second shipment is likely, to hit at least 50k. In such a case, Medarot would lower its status to a niche series, but that can be profitable. Probably, though, numbers will be way lower.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
You know, I think n3DS will get lots of mobile ports too, just like Vita.
I feel the main issues will be:

1.) It's still not an OpenGL ES 2.0 compliant device to my understanding, making ports harder.

2.) It doesn't have native support from things like Unity, which is what drives a lot of the Vita and Wii U ports we see.

SmokyDave

You know, I think n3DS will get lots of mobile ports too, just like Vita.
Can't see it myself. Ignoring my doubts over the horsepower of the n3DS, there's the resistive 240p screen to account for. Vita is capacative qHD, much closer to smartphone tech.

Man, I wish the Vita got 'lots' of mobile ports. I can think of about 30 games I'd kill for off the top of my head.

1.) It's still not an OpenGL ES 2.0 compliant device to my understanding, making ports harder.

2.) It doesn't have native support from things like Unity, which is what drives a lot of the Vita and Wii U ports we see.
These are better than the reasons I gave. Pretend I posted this.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Can't see it myself. Ignoring my doubts over the horsepower of the n3DS, there's the resistive 240p screen to account for. Vita is capacative qHD, much closer to smartphone tech.

Man, I wish the Vita got 'lots' of mobile ports. I can think of about 30 games I'd kill for off the top of my head.
More importantly, the Vita is actually smartphone hardware in the same sense (perhaps even more) that the PS4 is PC hardware.

The year it came out it was just a doubling of the GPU and CPU cores found in that year's current iPhone with some VRAM and minor GPU modifications.

phanphare

Banned

do we know that the n3DS won't support Unity? I'd think that would be very high on Nintendo's list of priorities.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
do we know that the n3DS won't support Unity? I'd think that would be very high on Nintendo's list of priorities.
Well they haven't announced it yet unless I missed something.

Modern Unity uses programmable shaders which I imagine is the main roadblock unless the sheer processing requirements are really their main roadblock, but that would surprise me a bit given the scalability.

It's certainly not impossible for it to support it, but I would think it would be a lot of work for a relatively small audience.

PREDICTION LEAGUE SEPTEMBER 2014

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Sep 1 to Sep 28):

[XBO] Hardware (25 days) - 50,000
[XBO] Dead Rising 3 (25 days) - 18,000
[3DS] Dragon Quest X (25 days) - 130,000
[PS4+PS3] Destiny (18 days) - 200,000
[3DS] Super Smash Bros. for 3DS (16 days) - 1,600,000
[WIU] Bayonetta 2 (9 days) - 90,000
[PSV+PS3] Sen no Kiseki II (4 days) - 140,000
[PSV] Danganronpa Another Episode (4 days) - 80,000
[WIU] Fatal Frame V (2 days) - 25,000

Ty4on

More importantly, the Vita is actually smartphone hardware in the same sense (perhaps even more) that the PS4 is PC hardware.

The year it came out it was just a doubling of the GPU and CPU cores found in that year's current iPhone with some VRAM and minor GPU modifications.

And a 512bit bus for VRAM!!!

The iPad back then had a 128bit bus for main memory and no VRAM.

Source (ctrl+f Vita)

L~A

MC:

3DS LL 30,111
Vita 19,578
Wii U 8,584
PS3 7,895
3DS 7,404
PS4 6,502
Vita TV 1,156
PSP 187
Xbox 360 86

No bump for Vita?...

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
This week Famitsu and Media Create don't agree on lots of hardware sales :lol

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
According to Media Create, the original 3DS sold better than PS4 this week. Holy wow.

No bump for Vita?...

Love Live was the only thing I'd have thought would've given Vita a bump. Toukiden fans already had a chance to get the LE console. Neptunia fans are swimming in Neptunia games on the console, so would've already bought one by now.

A further proof that PSV sw is selling to current owner of the hw. This week more than 200k units of sw have been moved, but hw is just flatlined.

extralite

According to Aena who tweeted about it, looks like Squeenix was hit by DDOS recently, and their solution was to put the IP lock back in place.
That is just a wild guess by Aeana. It actually doesn't look like that at all. What was reported by Square Enix is this:

On August 3rd they started the Summer Battle Grand Prix, a colosseum event. The colosseum is a kind of 4 vs 4 death match mode. Ranking for this event caused higher server strain than SE had expected, resulting in many users not being able to login or having to endure long load times when changing areas (this has happened frequently in the past with any update that attracted lots of users, even when the IP lock still existed). They prepared a counter measure but by the time they had come up with it, the situation had already resolved itself. They still put the measure in place with the 2.2.8 update, which was a full 24 days after the incident.

We can only guess that the return of the IP lock is connected with this because although not explicitly mentioned it did also return with this update.

I think if there had been a DDoS attack, SE would have referred to it as such. Instead they gave a completely different explanation.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
really?

I remember this series to be a great seller but never seen a portable version before this will be interesting

At this point anything less than 750k would be surprising. Its a big IP on a system more popular than every other NIntendo home console. Not too mention that the 3DS version is a more than solid effort.

Top Bottom