• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 34, 2016 (Aug 22 - Aug 28)

casiopao

I loved Battle Network, but that series along with MMZ killed the franchise as a whole.

Even then they've been losing big name talent to companies like Idea Factory IIRC and D5 bombed hard.

MMZ killing the franchise??? U are not HUMAN.T_T

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I guess it would depend on if they felt they could find more success with the resources they gain in the deal than Capcom currently is.

The basic result of a Capcom merger would involve paying $1.5 billion for a company of 2839 employees, which would raise Nintendo's burn rate by at over 50% (they only have 5120 employees), and then they'd have to hope that they could get enough money out of Capcom's IPs and staff to actually increase their profitability and margin.

I don't know, this seems like a way to basically ruin Nintendo's profitability for no gain. If Nintendo needs warm bodies, they can just go hire staff from Capcom to work for them. Are people expecting an NX Resident Evil and Street Fighter to cause that platform to soar? They're both fading brands with increasingly tough competition, and it's not like people on competing platforms are dying for content to play, which is why Capcom's games are heavily declining in the first place.

Edit:

It looks like Capcom's operating income for list fiscal year was $116 million at a margin rate of 16.6%. EA managed 26.3% margins and they're a gigantic bloated corporation that didn't release much at all last fiscal year.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The basic result of a Capcom merger would involve paying $1.5 billion for a company of 2839 employees, which would raise Nintendo's burn rate by at over 50% (they only have 5120 employees), and then they'd have to hope that they could get enough money out of Capcom's IPs and staff to actually increase their profitability and margin.

I don't know, this seems like a way to basically ruin Nintendo's profitability for little gain.

Nintendo could probably revitalize Megaman into a b tier hit. They could do well enough with Street Fighter. Resident Evil would take a massive decline as their core audience would be gone. Monster Hunter...would do the same as usual. So in the end they'd get another 500k-1m game in Megaman. A slightly better seller in SF, which will never get back to SF IV numbers. Complete unknowns in stuff like DMC. A dusty back catalog. Maybe a pretty big hit in a Capcom versus Nintendo 2D tag fighter. And Monster Hunter basically unchanged from how it is. Not a good investment in my book.

casiopao

I don't know, this seems like a way to basically ruin Nintendo's profitability for no gain. If Nintendo needs warm bodies, they can just go hire staff from Capcom to work for them. Are people expecting an NX Resident Evil and Street Fighter to cause that platform to soar? They're both fading brands with increasingly tough competition, and it's not like people on competing platforms are dying for content to play, which is why Capcom's games are heavily declining in the first place.

Rather than buying the company there. Can't Nintendo just did the same thing with Koei Tecmo and Fatal Frame?

Co-owning one IP sounds a much better argument to be made. The risk won't be so expensive for the Nintendo and the IP owner will be able to receive profit without the need of investing to the game in a huge amount.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Does Nintendo own the rights of Fatal Frame now? Coz Fatal Frame 1-3 are on PSN (PS2 classics on PS3).

horuhe

EDIT: Actually talking about mobile company, what is the biggest mobile game company nowadays which is not part of the big traditional gaming company like S-E, Bamco, Nintendo? I would say, Nintendo should focus on getting some of the developer there first.

Nirolak should answer this question much better than me but from my perspective, I would say Gung Ho, LINE or Mixi.

Pretty much unless Nintendo just wants a large amount of staff to start developing more of their games onto their platforms and mobile. The only major 3rd party developer that I could see actually working out well for Nintendo to buy out would be Bandai Namco. Their company cultures are very similar and they would offer a lot of advantages and avenues into areas Nintendo is trying to expand on (Merchandising, animation, and mobile) in addition to their catalog, ips, and arcade division. However, as you stated earlier it's too expensive and risky.

Sandfox

MMZ killing the franchise??? U are not HUMAN.T_T

I'm not calling the game bad, but Capcom released a million Megaman games during that timeframe and their solution when the decline started was to keep doing with with ZX, Star Force, and the PSP ports.

Edit:

It looks like Capcom's operating income for list fiscal year was $116 million at a margin rate of 16.6%. EA managed 26.3% margins and they're a gigantic bloated corporation that didn't release much at all last fiscal year.
Yeah, I don't see it happening at all.

Nirolak should answer this question much better than me but from my perspective, I would say Gung Ho, LINE or Mixi.

Funny you mention LINE.

oguXKm0.jpg

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Nintendo could probably revitalize Megaman into a b tier hit. They could do well enough with Street Fighter. Resident Evil would take a massive decline as their core audience would be gone. Monster Hunter...would do the same as usual. So in the end they'd get another 500k-1m game in Megaman. A slightly better seller in SF, which will never get back to SF IV numbers. Complete unknowns in stuff like DMC. A dusty back catalog. Maybe a pretty big hit in a Capcom versus Nintendo 2D tag fighter. And Monster Hunter basically unchanged from how it is. Not a good investment in my book.

Rather than buying the company there. Can't Nintendo just did the same thing with Koei Tecmo and Fatal Frame?

Co-owning one IP sounds a much better argument to be made. The risk won't be so expensive for the Nintendo and the IP owner will be able to receive profit without the need of investing to the game in a huge amount.

This is a good portrait of why we don't really see any M&A with the big publishers.

Keep in mind that EA didn't end up buying Take-Two because they didn't want to pay more than $2 billion, and in that deal they would have gotten Grand Theft Auto and the entire line-ups of Rockstar and 2K. Capcom costs 75% as much and offers maybe 5-10% of the value Take-Two does even if we leave it as a multiplatform company.

Those companies are ultimately too big. LINE is valued at nearly $10 billion for example.

They'd be best off buying a few 20-40 person mobile companies who they feel have a good potential to make hits or have one modest hit with signs that they could repeat the success.

EA buying Firemint is a good example of this. That was a less than $25 million deal that resulted in them getting Real Racing and a studio that now handles two hits in the form of Real Racing 3 and The Sims FreePlay, which have likely made in the range of $100-$200+ million for the publisher over the years.

If they did want to go really big though, I'd buy COLOPL. Tons of repeated success across many genres on mobile, $2 billion stock price that even if the had to pay a $3 billion fee for would be totally worth it, very good financials, and not so obscenely expensive that it would eat their entire cash pile.

Ōkami

I don't get why Nintendo would be interested on getting Mega Man or how they could make it a C or B tier franchise when they can't even do it when their own games.

134 Mega Man games have sold 31m units worldwide, only 4 games sold over 1m units.
Capcom gives up on the series.

Some 12 Metroid games have sold over 15m worldwide, 8 games sold over 1m units.
Nintendo gives up on the series.

casiopao

Does Nintendo own the rights of Fatal Frame now? Coz Fatal Frame 1-3 are on PSN (PS2 classics on PS3).

They own FF4,FF2 Remake, FF5 and Spirit Camera right if i am not mistaken.

Gung Ho and Mixi is example of company Ninty should avoid at all cost. They only had one hit and then they disappear.

I only know, Cygames,COLOPL, and Gumi which is doing well that i think Ninty should try to buy them.

but if you buy capcom you gain access to the mobile hit of the generation two and a half years in the making

I know u are talking about BoF 6 without any need of opening that link lol.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Gung Ho and Mixi is example of company Ninty should avoid at all cost. They only had one hit and then they disappear.

I only know, Cygames,COLOPL, and Gumi which is doing well that i think Ninty should try to buy them.

Sorry, I posted too slowly to this question, but you're totally right about Gung-Ho and Mixi. The issue with CyGames is that it's part of CyberAgent (which is gigantic) and Gumi is more of a localization company than an original publisher. COLOPL is great for the reasons detailed above though.

sazzy

I haven't ventured into Media Create threads for several years now...

Is this what the Japanese sales are like now? Its really sad :(

Sandfox

Ōkami;215999544 said:
I don't get why Nintendo would be interested on getting Mega Man or how they could make it a C or B tier franchise when they can't even do it when their own games.

134 Mega Man games have sold 31m units worldwide, only 4 games sold over 1m units.

We just got a new Metroid game though lol.

casiopao

Sorry, I posted too slowly to this question, but you're totally right about Gung-Ho and Mixi. The issue with CyGames is that it's part of CyberAgent (which is gigantic) and Gumi is more of a localization company than an original publisher. COLOPL is great for the reasons detailed above though.

Oh. I learn a new things today. Cyber Agents huh. Never heard about them till now lol.

But yeah, i would said Nintendo should pay more attention to COLOPL and if possible get them. They are proven Beast in the mobile market. Hits after hits every season.

But, didn't Gumi just come out with game like Phantom of Kill?Or the last one before Brave Frontier? I thought Gumi is also developer here?

Yep, a wasteland.

Lol, if this is a wasteland, i would not want to enter PAL and NPD thread nowadays lol. At least in Japanese industry here, it is really interesting that the future is unpredictable. Can NX come back and revive the industry? Should Nintendo move more into mobile market? What is Sony going to do after Vita's death? It had so many scenario that is limitless lol.

Lol, if this is a wasteland, i would not want to enter PAL and NPD thread nowadays lol. At least in Japanese industry here, it is really interesting that the future is unpredictable. Can NX come back and revive the industry? Should Nintendo move more into mobile market? What is Sony going to do after Vita's death? It had so many scenario that is limitless lol.

At least we get official numbers here. :(

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The most recent NPD thread was actually quite interesting in many ways due to the format change of the data. Also one of the smallest NPD threads in some time!

Well, I was speaking in terms of sales (so was the person I quoted). It is night and day compared to previous gens.

Generally speaking, however, yeah, it is still a somewhat interesting market to discuss or what not. I'm excited for TGS too lol.

Edit - NPD is ded to me now. That format change is just ugh. Never mind the other stuff.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Oh. I learn a new things today. Cyber Agents huh. Never heard about them till now lol.

But yeah, i would said Nintendo should pay more attention to COLOPL and if possible get them. They are proven Beast in the mobile market. Hits after hits every season.

But, didn't Gumi just come out with game like Phantom of Kill?Or the last one before Brave Frontier? I thought Gumi is also developer here?

Alim actually made Brave Frontier. Gumi just released it everywhere else.

Alim went on to make Final Fantasy: Brave Exvius for Square Enix afterwards.

Phantom of the Kill is actually a game they made in a joint venture with Fuji Startup Ventures since they needed to start making more titles internally due to things like the above.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Edit - NPD is ded to me now. That format change is just ugh. Never mind the other stuff.

Dude.

The new NPD format literally changed nothing.

If we talk about official NPD release, we get nothing since 2012. The only way to get sales data is thanks leakers, and what we get thanks Aqua right now is even more than what we got before.

casiopao

Alim actually made Brave Frontier. Gumi just released it everywhere else.

Alim went on to make Final Fantasy: Brave Exvius for Square Enix afterwards.

Phantom of the Kill is actually a game they made in a joint venture with Fuji Startup Ventures since they needed to start making more titles internally due to things like the above.

Hmm. Then that Alim actually did much better than i thought?O_O Two works and two hits. Both also hit international market nicely. This one looks like a good potential accusation?

Ahhh. So Gumi in the end is more like publishers who publish other mobile developers game. Sneaky bastards lol^.^_

Dude.

The new NPD format literally changed nothing.

If we talk about official NPD release, we get nothing since 2012. The only way to get sales data is thanks leakers, and what we get thanks Aqua right now is even more than what we got before.
Eh, I could go into what I don't like now but lets leave that for another day in another thread.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Hmm. Then that Alim actually did much better than i thought?O_O Two works and two hits. Both also hit international market nicely. This one looks like a good potential accusation?

Ahhh. So Gumi in the end is more like publishers who publish other mobile developers game. Sneaky bastards lol^.^_

I'm not sure Alim is up for sale, but yes, this is more the type of acquisition I'd be aiming for.

They're successful, and I believe pretty lightweight, but not so successful that the idea of purchasing them would be astronomically expensive.

Though, something to keep in mind with any purchase like this is that once they enter negotiations for acquisition, they're going to do so for a wide variety of companies who may be very interested.

casiopao

OMG.O_O WKWKWKWK. Help!!!!.^_^

I'm not sure Alim is up for sale, but yes, this is more the type of acquisition I'd be aiming for.

They're successful, and I believe pretty lightweight, but not so successful that the idea of purchasing them would be astronomically expensive.

It seems i had been lead astray by QOO company listing lol as now, i find many of the devs seems to be hidden behind the publishers lol.

Is there other than Alim here which is the main actor behind the more successful of many mobile games? Like Hortensia Saga is made by F4Samurai but it is published by Sega. I would want to check some of them here lol.(Please don't list F/GO lol as the devs is the biggest incompetent company lol. Best friend of Nasu?O_O)

Ōkami;215999544 said:

wow that's a lot of Mega Man games...that's also a terrible average (not even 250k?)

I think Mega Man was rather of its time. It was great fun, but I don't think there's the demand for that kind of game any more. By "that kind of game" I mean difficult 2D run and gun / platform games. Mega Man is still a good character to be put into, say Smash Bros, but classic Mega Man style gaming is, IMO, history.

Mory Dunz

Ōkami;215999544 said:

one hun...One Hundred and Thrirty-Four!?

out of curiosity would you happen to know how many mario games there are?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It seems i had been lead astray by QOO company listing lol as now, i find many of the devs seems to be hidden behind the publishers lol.

Is there other than Alim here which is the main actor behind the more successful of many mobile games? Like Hortensia Saga is made by F4Samurai but it is published by Sega. I would want to check some of them here lol.(Please don't list F/GO lol as the devs is the biggest incompetent company lol. Best friend of Nasu?O_O)

It's not uncommon to hire developers to make mobile games, since most publishers lack the skills internally.

CyGames actually made both the new Idolmaster mobile game and Dragon Quest Monsters: Super Light for example.

The issue is that most of these games are Japan only and Japanese publishers aren't known for promoting the developers of their games, so it's hard to dig out exactly who is making each title.

Edit:

As another example, there's a new Bandai Namco Sword Art Online mobile game that's been storming up the charts in Japan, and once I got to the official site, I finally found out it's by Wright Flyer Studios, a division of GREE.

I figured it was probably not Bandai Namco since I'm not sure they actually even have all that much internal mobile staff.

Mory Dunz

Depends on where you draw line. In Game Boy tennis, for example, he is the umpire - does that count? Game and Watches?

Wikipedia has a list of Mario games.

I was thinking "has Mario in the title"

so stuff like "Hotel Mario, Mario Kart, mario is missing, and even mario typing" would count.

But stuff like Smash would not count. That's what I would go with.

I was thinking "has Mario in the title"

so stuff like "Hotel Mario, Mario Kart, mario is missing, and even mario typing" would count.

But stuff like Smash would not count. That's what I would go with.

The mario wiki has a count of 237 including all the ports of Mario Bros. and maybe 2 dozen cancelled games. Excluding those brings it down to around 160

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Didn't Nintendo already buy a mobile company? The DeNa agreements saw a good stake of the company acquired by Nintendo (and they also own a small part of Niantic so...)

I think they already invested in that field

casiopao

It's not uncommon to hire developers to make mobile games, since most publishers lack the skills internally.

CyGames actually made both the new Idolmaster mobile game and Dragon Quest Monsters: Super Light for example.

The issue is that most of these games are Japan only and Japanese publishers aren't known for promoting the developers of their games, so it's hard to dig out exactly who is making each title.

Edit:

As another example, there's a new Bandai Namco Sword Art Online mobile game that's been storming up the charts in Japan, and once I got to the official site, I finally found out it's by Wright Flyer Studios, a division of GREE.

I figured it was probably not Bandai Namco since I'm not sure they actually even have all that much internal mobile staff.

Wright Flyer Studios? The one who make Soul Arms? And it is also part of Gree? Man, i am confused lol. Why does they need to publish their own game under their own name when they had GREE as their publishing giants here?

I guess, rather than buying those company, Ninty can just ask those who had been successful to develop their IP for mobile?O_O

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Wright Flyer Studios? The one who make Soul Arms? And it is also part of Gree? Man, i am confused lol. Why does they need to publish their own game under their own name when they had GREE as their publishing giants here?

I guess, rather than buying those company, Ninty can just ask those who had been successful to develop their IP for mobile?O_O
I think part of the idea of having Wright Flyer as a separate label from GREE (even though they're a wholly owned studio) is that GREE has a very bad reputation from the feature phone days.

casiopao

I think part of the idea of having Wright Flyer as a separate label from GREE (even though they're a wholly owned studio) is that GREE has a very bad reputation from the feature phone days.

Aha. I can see that. But if that is the case, don't that mean Wright Flyer is more or less GREE? Just rebranding? As the devs should still be of the same group.

DeNa, Gree and Mobage is the three big pillar of mobile game before right? it is quite shocking that all three falter vs the other new big three COLOPL, Mixi and Gungho right now lol.

Mobile market is really running like crazy.

Oregano

The only plausible acquisition I see is of DeNA if Nintendo realises they don't want to share the revenue from their mobile games but feels DeNA actually provides something they can't. The fact that they partnered with DeNA in the first place implies the latter is true.

duckroll

It's really weird reading the past page and seeing how people have no idea about what they talk about. :/

I don't even feel like correcting stuff because it's painful watching someone who has no idea about a market continue to talk more and more about it, throwing buzzwords and brand names around without knowing what any of them mean. What a waste of time.

casiopao

It's really weird reading the past page and seeing how people have no idea about what they talk about. :/

I don't even feel like correcting stuff because it's painful watching someone who has no idea about a market continue to talk more and more about it, throwing buzzwords and brand names around without knowing what any of them mean. What a waste of time.

Don't abandon us Duckroll Senpai lol.^^

Top Bottom