• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 35, 2011 (Aug 29 - Sep 04)

Paracelsus

Father_Brain said:
After PSP's turnaround, you'd be pretty foolish to claim to know how Vita will be faring in 2014, let alone 2016. But anyone who doesn't think that the software lineup alone raises serious doubts about the platform's current commercial viability has some blinders on.

The turnaround you mention happened thanks to a game Sony lost.

cvxfreak

Jonnyram said:
So why make such an unfulfillable statement in the first place?
How can we measure its success in December, as per your original statement?

We can measure their success using actual numbers.

If Sony makes, say, 500K Vitas for launch in December and then sells them all within those 2 weeks, then that would be amazing. If they made 200,000 or 300,000 and sold them all... eh.

I can't imagine that 500K selling through in 2 weeks with that launch lineup and no UMD backwards compatibility, AND with the 3DS's December lineup being packed with franchise hits, AND with the original PSP still doing well.

duckroll said:
I don't think he equated anything. He said that it would likely sell out whatever they decide to ship in December. Since it is unlikely that they have a ton to ship in December to begin with, I'm inclined to agree, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is doing well in general.

Well... he didn't seem to have a problem with my assessment. :p

Basically, I'm thinking back to the PS3 launch. Of course that thing sold out, but it only sold like 70K that week. "Sell outs" are meaningless without further context.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Paracelsus said:

Who knows - this gen will maybe have a new suprise hit....but most type of games are also possible on 3DS, so it wont be as easy to get games simply just because it doesnt make sense to put them on 3DS.

NeonZ

Paracelsus said:

It was also a game that only became relevant last gen. They might stumble upon third party gold again that can't be done on the 3DS due to Vita's raw power superiority... or not. so, there's still a chance things could go in Sony's way again, maybe even better than last gen if they have less problems with piracy.

Of course, there's also a high chance, especially considering the current line up, that they could get something less successful than the original PSP...

duckroll

cw_sasuke said:
Who knows - this gen will maybe have a new suprise hit....but most type of games are also possible on 3DS, so it wont be as easy to get games simply just because it doesnt make sense to put them on 3DS.

Yeah. No one can say what could happen in the future in terms of surprise hits. Level 5 did very well on DS with their new IPs, and Capcom turned the MH franchise into the biggest third party franchise in Japan. Sega also managed to piggy back on that and make Phantasy Star a household title again.

In 2-3 years, the landscape might be totally different. But for now, things are just looking bad for Sony this holiday season and for most of 2012.

I don't know the launchlineup looks for a launchlineup great. I don't remember any japan launches with the same quality.

too much drama

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
PdotMichael said:
I don't know the launchlineup looks for a launchlineup great. I don't remember any japan launches with the same quality.

too much drama
I don't think people think the launch line-up actually looks that bad, but rather the lack of titles in the horizon to help sell people at launch.

A lot of people buy a system because they really want Major Title X, but will buy it at launch since they're pretty interested in Launch Title Y.

If Major Title X isn't there though, Launch Title Y might not be compelling enough to get them to buy the system.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Paracelsus said:
It's true, but at the time nobody suspected MH would do so well; think of GTA at the beginning of this generation; that was THE game, but then COD was a surprise hit; the same with MH; there may or may not be a game that saves the VITA; but at the time, it doesn't have any appealing games that will ensure it selling well, and seeing yesterday's horrible conference, where they practically begged 3rd parties to be there and show disappointing shit, the support for the handheld as a whole looks really bad.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Jonnyram said:
Seriously. People are making decisions based on one of the most pathetic press conferences ever seen.
I'm making decisions based on their 100 game list that includes titles like "No Title from Low Key Company X": http://scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/110914a_e.pdf

I feel that if they had absolutely anything they were allowed to share that was notable, they would.

If I did miss some hints at a major title in the future though, please point me to them. I would be very glad to see them.

KingDizzi

Banned
Paracelsus said:

Eh there will always be a "next big thing". For the PSP it was an existing franchise that exploded, for Vita it could be a franchise that already exists or a new IP. The games announced for Vita thus far at least in terms of sales are lulz worthy and can see the Vita really struggling in Japan for the first 6 months. After that who knows, it's just seriously lacking any strong software and if this is the best Sony can come up with......well one would assume Sony also know they will struggle pretty badly. :/

Jonnyram said:
Seriously. People are making decisions based on one of the most pathetic press conferences ever seen.

I need to read the Gaf thread, went to sleep knowing it would be shit but am sure the thread was a laugh.

Road

Genesis, Saturn, N64, Gamecube, Virtual Boy, WonderSwan, Neo Geo Pocket, Dreamcast, Xbox and Xbox 360 are still waiting for the next thing to turn their fate around.

You people acting like MH happens everyday.

Road said:
Tales of Xillia - 527k

PS3 - 65k

There go my predictions for the week...

Fucking awesome figures though. Scamco have finally put Tales on PS3 first and the results are devastatingly good.

saichi

Road said:
Genesis, Saturn, N64, Gamecube, Virtual Boy, WonderSwan, Neo Geo Pocket, Dreamcast, Xbox and Xbox 360 are still waiting for the next thing to turn their fate around.

You people acting like MH happens everyday.

agree but leave N64 alone!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
PS3 64,786
3DS 49,076
PSP 25,391
Wii 10,743
DSi LL 2,882
DSi 1,957
PS2 1,386
Xbox 360 1,219
DS Lite 51
PSP go 13

XILLIA AT 526K, BEST DEBUT FOR A TALES OF EVER

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Road said:
Tales of Xillia - 527k

PS3 - 65k

Holy crap. Wow. Just wow. What a number. Best software performance on PS3 bar none I would say, and probably the best 3rd party console result this gen, period.

That's incredible for TOX. Tales is finally back to being a strong and powerful RPG brand in Japan again!

Of course it helps that this is the first mainline game released this generation that hasn't been held back in some way (TOG - killed by its release date, TOV - Killed by small 360 userbase, TOV PS3 - Held back by being a late port, TOGF - Held back by being a late port)

schuelma said:
Holy crap. Wow. Just wow. What a number. Best software performance on PS3 bar none I would say, and probably the best 3rd party console result this gen, period.

4th best so far actually.

1st = FF13
2nd = MH3 Tri
3rd = RE5
4th = TOX (though it'll probably pass RE5's PS3 sales at least)

Jonnyram

Nirolak said:
I'm making decisions based on their 100 game list that includes titles like "No Title from Low Key Company X": http://scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/110914a_e.pdf

I feel that if they had absolutely anything they were allowed to share that was notable, they would.

If I did miss some hints at a major title in the future though, please point me to them. I would be very glad to see them.
I just think people are wiser than that now.
Remember Monster Hunter 3 and Gradius 6 on the PS3 lists?
And MH3G/MH4 sure as hell weren't on the Nintendo lists either, and look at the excitement over them (well, on teh intarwebs anyway).
Three months away from launch for Vita. Plenty of time for new games to be announced. It's certainly not looking like the wasteland 3DS had during its first six months, right?

Road

DMPrince said:
Ultros! was close. almost reached 600k there.
There were people closer, I think, but yes, I smirked at his prediction when I saw it.

I'm the one who looks like a fool now.

gembel

ok now we know which platform the next main tales game will be, please localize this to Europe or US!! scamco you have made so much money already, just localize it already... you can afford it!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
My prediction for Tales was 650k. :(

Oh well, maybe this game will reach a million in the long run.

schuelma

Nuclear Muffin said:
4th best so far actually.

1st = FF13
2nd = MH3 Tri
3rd = RE5
4th = TOX (though it'll probably pass RE5's PS3 sales at least)

I was not talking pure numbers- my point was in reference to expectations, franchise history, etc. In that context, this is just a stunning number and more impressive than the games you listed.

marc^o^ said:
Priced cut 3DS not a flop: confirmed.

Yep, looks like the 3DS has stabilised at around 50k. It's in a very healthy position now! (And with it's upcoming lineup, it's gonna steamroll the competition come Christmas time for sure)

schuelma said:
I was not talking pure numbers- my point was in reference to expectations, franchise history, etc. In that context, this is just a stunning number and more impressive than the games you listed.

Oh ok I see where you're coming from. It's the biggest 3rd party console success story in Japan for sure!

Paracelsus

gembel said:
ok now we know which platform the next main tales game will be, please localize this to Europe or US!! scamco you have made so much money already, just localize it already... you can afford it!

You totally overestimate Namco, next Tales is going to Wii U.

Jonnyram

schuelma said:
Best software performance on PS3 bar none I would say, and probably the best 3rd party console result this gen, period.
FFXIII was way better, and MGS4 wasn't much lower than this (good considering the userbase at the time).

Dragon

Banned
Jonnyram said:
FFXIII was way better, and MGS4 wasn't much lower than this (good considering the userbase at the time).

And you'd put the Tales franchise on equal footing with those franchises? I think his point that it was the most surprising sales number this gen on the PS3. In a good way.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Jonnyram said:
I just think people are wiser than that now.
Remember Monster Hunter 3 and Gradius 6 on the PS3 lists?
And MH3G/MH4 sure as hell weren't on the Nintendo lists either, and look at the excitement over them (well, on teh intarwebs anyway).
Three months away from launch for Vita. Plenty of time for new games to be announced. It's certainly not looking like the wasteland 3DS had during its first six months, right?
I think the 3DS' announcement line-up was a lot stronger though in terms of the horizon.

Mario Kart, Kingdom Hearts 3D, Resident Evil: Revelations, and Animal Crossing were all titles that were potentially large sellers announced the day the system was.

In terms of major titles, I would say that the Vita actually has a much better line-up in the West. Uncharted is there on day one, Irrational is making a Vita exclusive BioShock game, and both Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed are very large brands, even if we don't know anything about those games.

In the conference yesterday, Sony couldn't even give us a potentially major game as a series logo. This is what is inspiring the lack of confidence in their future line-up.

schuelma

TheBranca18 said:
And you'd put the Tales franchise on equal footing with those franchises? I think his point that it was the most surprising sales number this gen on the PS3. In a good way.

Right that's my point.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Jonnyram said:

If you look at the overall picture, it's the best selling Tales game in the first week ever (even beating Destiny), which is quite a feat this generation due to the lack of JRPGs on consoles.

C_H_T

Nuclear Muffin said:
Yeah, RE Revival seems to have done pretty well.

Are they buying it for RE4 or RE:CV?

BTW, it's the fifth time they release RE4.

RE4 GCN
RE4 PS2
RE4 PC
RE4 Wii
RE4 PS360

C_H_T said:
Are they buying it for RE4 or RE:CV?

BTW, it's the fifth time they release RE4.

RE4 GCN
RE4 PS2
RE4 PC
RE4 Wii
RE4 PS360

That's not counting best price releases either!

How many times has CV been re-released now in Japan anyway?

As for the matter of CV vs RE4, gut instinct tells me that the latter game is the bigger deal here.

Top Bottom