• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 35, 2011 (Aug 29 - Sep 04)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Father_Brain said:
hahaha, no, I have no connections in the Japanese gaming industry whatsoever. Don't read anything into that.

Ok, back off you moron.
Chris, you have to talk, or you'll never know about Lost Planet Tro...nothing.
Nothing nothing.

EDIT: What a bunch of jokers we are XD
But maybe, there's something true :D

Truth101

Banned
Mpl90 said:
What
WHAT
PLEASE TALK
XD

@Truth: don't expect the main Pokemon.Probably it will be a new Mystery Dungeon out this year in Japan.
Main Pokemon are announced about 6-7 months before the release.

I'm not expecting anything.

Mpl90

However, waiting for Chris to spill some bean ( XD )... Xillia seems to be something that could do Abyss numbers.

[PS2] Tales of the Abyss (Namco) - 368.316 / 556.465 / 66,19% 15/12/05

If it does more, it would be even more impressive.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
It took them almost an entire generation, but Namco finally found their home for the Tales franchise.

Acosta

Chris1964 said:
If 3rd HD is what it's expected to be with PSP budget version coming out before the end of the year I think you are the one who overestimates it.

Famitsu Sales: Week 35, 2011 (Aug 22 - Aug 28)

01./00. [PS3] Monster Hunter Freedom 3 HD Ver. <ACT> (Capcom) {2011.08.25} (¥4.800) - 282.960 / NEW

I said it may surprise us.

If you call that an "overstimation", I disagree. Just saying that the difference on sales between 3rd HD and Tri G may not be as huge as some imagine. (I'm with DCharlie about not seeing the million for Tri G.)

Mpl90

schuelma said:
It took them almost an entire generation, but Namco finally found their BRAIN.

Fixed.
Seriously, the last moves of the company left me shocked for how they were...reasonable, smart.

Mpl90

Chris1964 said:
I can say the source is unquestionable and is not 2ch
bwahaha

If you can, give us at least a hint.
Detective GAF demand it!
...If you're not joking XD

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Acosta said:
(I'm with DCharlie about not seeing the million for Tri G.)

Obviously it is all speculative, but most of the handicaps present for Tri are gone for Tri G. I would be very very surprised if it did less than a million.

Mpl90

schuelma said:
Obviously it is all speculative, but most of the handicaps present for Tri are gone for Tri G. I would be very very surprised if it did less than a million.

Tri G will be very interesting.
It will have also a 3DS selling probably lots of units, so it will be even helped.
And, above all... local multiplayer.
What made MH the phenomenon it is now.

saichi

Acosta said:
Just saying that the difference on sales between 3rd HD and Tri G may not be as huge as some imagine. (I'm with DCharlie about not seeing the million for Tri G.)

By the time Tri-G is released, the user base for 3DS in Japan would probably be at 2.5-3 million (est.) comparing to 7 millions PS3s now. I would be surprised if

1. Tri-G does not double the sale number for 3rd HD.
2. Tri-G does not leg out to 1 million.

LOCK

I would be disappointed if MH sells less than 2 million. Is there any reasons why it won't sell at the heights of the PSP portables?

donny2112

schuelma said:

I'd be surprised if it did less than 2 million including the eventual budget re-release, and that's mainly because it'd take time for the userbase to be big enough to have a > 2m game, and Capcom is quick with their budget re-releases. If there's no budget re-release, than something like MHP2's 1.7m doesn't seem unreasonable. Less than 1m for a real MH game on a portable nowadays seems outlandish to me. *shrugs*

LOCK said:
I would be disappointed if MH sells less than 2 million. Is there any reasons why it won't sell at the heights of the PSP portables?

hardware base
PSP/PSVita version (Monster Hunter 3 portable)

LOCK said:
There aren't even 2 million 3DSs out there right now man. Even best-case scenario with this game being a long-slow burn this goal is impossible.

LOCK said:

There might not even be 2 million 3DS when it comes out. I suppose it might get there eventually, but will be more like 500k to start with.

Chris1964 said:
Big announcements for 3DS this year won't end at September event.

To clarify, you mean announcements of software that will be made this year, not announcements of software that will ship this year?

test_account

XP-39C²
Mpl90 said:
Some weeks ago, I did the tie ratio comparison, and 3DS was already at 1.4
However, some of the datas seem to not be updated with last week ones (such as Layton) or even behind (Class of Heroes, I think )... others are not updated at all.
However, it's still really helpful.
SSFIV 3D Edition did really a lot, considering the sales on PS3 of the not 3D Edition.
Since the big increase of hardware sales, i dont think that the tie ratio have gone much up the last weeks. But is around 1.4 tie ration good or bad at this point compared to other systems? :) If anyone have sales data for that stuff though.

Syphon Filter said:
I think it's safe to say ps3 will finally outsell wii for the ytd right?
I would say so. I'm not sure if the holiday effect will have that big of an impact on Wii this year because of the 3DS and the Vita. I think that more people will buy these two systems instead (unless there is some Wii pricedrop coming soon).

LOCK

Graphics Horse said:
There might not even be 2 million 3DS when it comes out. I suppose it might get there eventually, but will be more like 500k to start with.
Monster Hunter Portable 2nd sold 705k and tripled the PSP sales from 34k to 100k its first week. If not for the first game bringing in new gamers to the PSP I'm sure that MHP2 would have sold more hardware. Now for the 3DS, not only will the launch of MH3G be in a holiday period, but the series has grown steadily over each iteration.

I'm sure its safe to say that MH3G will be a system seller. So it won't matter if the install base is at 3 million or so when it launches.

BKK

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
It's 3(former psp) games in one set.

Yeti games is a company with such a small base of extreme fans that it makes more sense for them to cut fixed costs and just sell 3 games in one set(which will get about the same amount of sales as 3 sold seperatly).

3 separate releases means having to do all the cero rating/ certification process/ manufacting boxes costs etc 3 different times

Thanks for the explanation. From the site it looks like they're all on one disc, with an OST CD or something included, is that correct? At ¥20.790 for the LE "small base of extreme fans" seems like a very apt description. The production run on this must be extremely low, and it may even end up being the final JP PS2 release (Gamefaqs list it as Nov. 10). This will probably end up being a right bitch to get for PS2 collectors in the future.

It really doesn't matter how much MH sells initially or over time, just the fact that the franchise is now on a Nintendo handheld is a huge win for Nintendo. They're getting all the bases covered and that can only mean good things. Its funny because I had actually thought Capcom would go cheap and give the 3DS the re-release.

schuelma said:
It took them almost an entire generation, but Namco finally found their home for the Tales franchise.
It was obvious the moment Tales of Vesperia sold so much, despite it coming to the PS3 so late.

Jonnyram

BishopLamont said:
It really doesn't matter how much MH sells initially or over time, just the fact that the franchise is now on a Nintendo handheld is a huge win for Nintendo. They're getting all the bases covered and that can only mean good things. Its funny because I had actually thought Capcom would go cheap and give the 3DS the re-release.
According to the first half of your post, it wouldn't matter if Capcom gave the 3DS a re-release anyway. Just having MH is a huge win for Nintendo :p

Jonnyram said:
According to the first half of your post, it wouldn't matter if Capcom gave the 3DS a re-release anyway. Just having MH is a huge win for Nintendo :p
It is either way, its not like the 3DS got MHF. :)

MonHun will probably be one of the best system seller on 3DS; who bought a console knew more or less Nintendo IP would arrive, but MonHun has been totally unexpected (well, at least outside online communities) and will be able to move a lot of hardware, in particular under Christmas (and with a bundle it could explode).

airmangataosenai said:
There aren't even 2 million 3DSs out there right now man. Even best-case scenario with this game being a long-slow burn this goal is impossible.
When Nintendogs launched, original DS was at 2.2 million. Nintendogs is now at 2 million.

For greater disparity, a launch title like Wii Sports had 0 userbase to start with, and is now at 3.7 million.

Kyoufu

I remember people said that Tri wouldn't sell many on the Wii... but I knew MH fans would gobble it up, and they did. Million seller right there. Same thing will happen for MH3G, and it'll be one hell of a system seller.

MHP3rd however isn't going to do so hot on Vita. Will have to wait til MHP3rdG or even MHP4th to see any significant sales on the system.

That is of course if 3DS hasn't stolen the player base by then.

Jonnyram

Weekly software sales by platform (still Media Create)
PSP&#12288; 208,000
PS3&#12288; 113,000
Wii &#12288;&#12288; 81,000
3DS&#12288;&#12288;64,000
DS &#12288;&#12288; 54,000
360&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;8,000

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
LOCK said:
Monster Hunter Portable 2nd sold 705k and tripled the PSP sales from 34k to 100k its first week. If not for the first game bringing in new gamers to the PSP I'm sure that MHP2 would have sold more hardware. Now for the 3DS, not only will the launch of MH3G be in a holiday period, but the series has grown steadily over each iteration.

I'm sure its safe to say that MH3G will be a system seller. So it won't matter if the install base is at 3 million or so when it launches.
I'm not really sure why you think 2nd would have driven more hardware if there had been no MHP before it. Wouldn't that make 2nd the first PSP MonHun and therefor the starting point for the series' growth, bringing it closer to the performance of MHP in that case, rather than improving it for some reason?

And I don't see why people expect Tri G to do similar to the later PSP games, to be considered a success. Pre-emptive bomba talk for a game that is bound to do good, but not that good? I'd only expect performance surpassing the first PSP game. Maybe 3DS will have just about enough install base to make it a multimillion seller in theory by then, but that doesn't mean it will be the MonHun audience that already own a 3DS. This game will be their first real incentive to adopt the platform. I'd expect the same from a new Vita game also really (if it ends up being 3rd G and not just another port of 3rd that the majority of fans already own).

Alextended said:
I'm not really sure why you think 2nd would have driven more hardware if there had been no MHP before it. Wouldn't that make 2nd the first PSP MonHun and therefor the starting point for the series' growth, bringing it closer to the performance of MHP in that case, rather than improving it for some reason?

And I don't see why people expect Tri G to do similar to the later PSP games, to be considered a success. Pre-emptive bomba talk for a game that is bound to do good, but not that good? I'd only expect performance surpassing the first PSP game. Maybe 3DS will have just about enough install base to make it a multimillion seller in theory by then, but that doesn't mean it will be the MonHun audience that already own a 3DS. This game will be their first real incentive to adopt the platform. I'd expect the same from a new Vita game also really (if it ends up being 3rd G and not just another port of 3rd that the majority of fans already own).

It can't do as much as the later PSP games. The 3DS userbase is simply too small.

But that rumour specifically states that it is a straight port of MHP3HD, not a G version (and the rumour list has been 100% right so far)

French

Banned
Alextended said:
I'd expect performance closer to the first PSP game.

No way, the first MH on PSP only did ~120k first week.

MHP 2 ~700k.
MHP 2G ~880k.

I think it will do >500k FW ( with good legs thanks to the holidays ). Whereas 3rd HD Vita will "bomb".

Road

Dengeki Sales, Aug 29 - Set 04, 2011 (week 36)

01. (__) [PSP] Grand Knights History (Marvelous Entertainment) - 66,435 / 66,435 [ST: ~90% => 74,000]
02. (01) [PS3] Monster Hunter Freedom 3 HD Ver. (Capcom) - 57,256 / 373,499 (-82%)
03. (05) [WII] Rhythm Heaven (Nintendo) - 25,044 / 433,959 (-13%)
04. (04) [PS3] Samurai Warriors 3: Empires (Koei Tecmo) - 20,167 / 87,211 (-70%)
05. (07) [NDS] Kirby Mass Attack (Nintendo) - 17,489 / 203,623 (-20%)
06. (__) [3DS] Devil Survivor - Overclocked (Atlus) - 17,375 / 17,375 [ST: ~40% => 43,000]
07. (03) [PSP] Mobile Suit Gundam: New Gihren's Ambition (Bandai Namco) - 15,672 / 92,925 (-80%)
08. (__) [PSP] Corpse Party: Book of Shadows (5pb. ) - 15,570 / 15,570
09. (09) [3DS] Pokemon Rumble Blast (Pokemon Co.) - 14,972 / 154,033 (-8%)
10. (02) [PSP] Black Rock Shooter: The Game (Imageepoch) - 13,313 / 113,511 (-87%)
11. (06) [PSP] Dynasty Warriors 7: Special (Koei Tecmo) - 12,905 / 39,773 (-52%)
12. (11) [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - 12,500 / 2,555,335 (-9%)
13. (14) [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (Nintendo) - 12,324 / 361,439 (+0%)
14. (08) [PSP] Monster Hunter Diary: Poka Poka Airu Village G (Capcom) - 11,485 / 171,853 (-45%)
15. (__) [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops - Dubbed Edition [Reprint] (Square Enix) - 8,213 / 8,213
16. (15) [PSP] Toriko: Gourmet Survival! (Bandai Namco) - 7,411 / 130,068 (-22%)
17. (17) [WII] Inazuma Eleven Strikers (Level 5) - 7,083 / 183,238 (-10%)
18. (__) [360] Monster Hunter Frontier Online - Anniversary 2011 Premium Package (Capcom) - 6,614 / 6,614
19. (18) [PSP] Taiko Drum Master Portable DX (Bandai Namco) - 6,135 / 202,115 (-17%)
20. (13) [NDS] Suite PreCure: Melody Collection (Bandai Namco) - 6,047 / 18,506 (-51%)

*ST: Sell-through => estimated copies shipped.

Other software (first week / LTD):

2009-01-15 [NDS] Devil Survivor (Atlus) - 60,000 / 120,000

http://megalodon.jp/2011-0909-2028-15/news.dengeki.com/soft/ranking/ranking.html
http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/403/403455/

Week 35: 08-22~08-28

Cipherr

LOCK said:

The 3DS, as mentioned could possibly have a userbase of less than 2 million when it hits. How in the world.... No, its not going to obtain a near 1:1 attach rate, not even remotely close, thats absurd.

LOCK said:

MHP2 was the second game, this one will be the 3DS's first, on a smaller userbase, and its NOT MHP4, its a G entry, its NOT MHP4th.... Im sure it will sell, but not super crazy gangbusters, its simply not possible.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Cipherr said:
its a G entry, its NOT MHP4th...
That doesn't matter, 2nd G kept the series' growth in sales iirc. G versions seem to be must have, much like Super versions of Street Fighter, thanks to enough added content and that Capcom also handle them like sequels, releasing them quite a while after the last game and quite a while before the next, about a year in fact. Also, not every fan got Tri as it was the first game on a new platform, like Tri G, and of course the fact it wasn't portable, so it's all new for many outside the content Portable 3rd shared.

Agreed with the rest.

Cipherr said:
The 3DS, as mentioned could possibly have a userbase of less than 2 million when it hits. How in the world.... No, its not going to obtain a near 1:1 attach rate, not even remotely close, thats absurd.

Something tells me that within a few months of MH launching on 3DS that it's install base is going to be far far greater than 2 million.

Not saying i expect MH to sell 2 million copies though.

donny2112 said:
I'd be surprised if it did less than 2 million including the eventual budget re-release, and that's mainly because it'd take time for the userbase to be big enough to have a > 2m game, and Capcom is quick with their budget re-releases. If there's no budget re-release, than something like MHP2's 1.7m doesn't seem unreasonable. Less than 1m for a real MH game on a portable nowadays seems outlandish to me. *shrugs*
I think this is pretty much on the money. 3G is probably going to have incredible legs and be a fixture in the top 30 for much of 2012.

Between this and Mario Kart 7, I think there's going to be some dramatic userbase building come December.

Cipherr said:

3DS is at 1.7mln now. In november we'll see Super Mario and Dragon Quest, for december it should reach at least 2.5mln.

Top Bottom