• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 35, 2011 (Aug 29 - Sep 04)

Acosta

jeremy1456 said:
All reasonable people have.

Others have short term memories and treat exceptions as rules.

You seem to think it´s permanent and irreversible.

It´s not. In fact, I would bet that the next two years we are going to see more jRPGs for PS3 than for handhelds.

Erethian

Acosta said:

It´s not. In fact, I would bet that the next two years we are going to see more jRPGs for PS3 than for handhelds.

The transition to handhelds started happening before the PS3 was even released, so I don't see where you get that idea from.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Acosta said:

There is no way that is true. None.

schuelma said:
There is no way that is true. None.
I don't know about "more than handhelds" (er), but I can definitely see the light at the end of the tunnel now where before I thought there were only spikes, death, and endless replaying of Orphan..

Acosta said:

That not going to happen , PS3 might get more JRPG but 3DS and Vita will get more.

guek

Banned
Acosta said:

hmm...I dunno. Maybe.

I don't really see it happening though. Correct me if I'm wrong but JRPGs haven't performed all too well this gen on consoles and particularly poorly outside of Japan. At present, devs would rather go multiplat than develop exclusively for the PS3, but JRPGs have somewhat fallen out of favor outside of japan and the 360 is dead there. Who would be the target audience?

extralite

Acosta said:
More? No. Most of the high budget ones that will also end up selling well? I think so.

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
I'll go pull out the sales charts if you want, but excluding the monster hunter clones(which are a product of their environment, they wouldn't have sold on ps2 either) most similar rpgs have sold on-par or far better on ps3 compared to psp.

...by costing way less.
Valkyria Chronicles sold a little more on PS3 than on PSP (considering both episodes) but it's unlikely SEGA earnt more from the first, since development costs were surely higher.
A game like The Last Ranker would have not been produced on PS3 because of higher costs, but it was greenlighted on PSP and it saw fine numbers. This is true also for DS series, such as Etrian Odyssey (will you see a game like this sold 150.000 on PS3?), Rune Factory (it has always sold better on DS even with a third chapter).
The environment on PS3 during the first years on the market didn't allow publisher to be rapid to develop games, something that was possible on handheld; once some of them got know-how and the like, they were able to pull even annual releases (let's think about Atelier series) and they sure took advantage of this, but I do think this is true for certain series, for established IPs when DS and PSP allowed more quantity and the possibility to diversify projects (while Square Enix on home consoles has been terrific, on handheld consoles it was quite fine; Namco could bring Digimon games on DS and sold well, and Kadokawa did the same with Metal Max 3 for example).

The final fantasy's on psp were better received yet only half the sales of FFXIII. None of the psp tales of even came close, Valkyrie was about 90k~ less then ps3 version, beyond that you get into 100k~ territory on the psp which looking at gust titles, rings of fate, even neir seems to be about the good point for medium ps3 titles.

Dragon Quest series sold more on DS than on PS2 and GBA (just DQV sold better than DS remakes), so why should have it had more possibilities on PS3? Then you compare a mainline Final Fantasy with prequel (Crisis Core) and spin-off with a different genre (Dissidia) but think that Final Fantasy III sold 1 million copies on DS, and think how less costed than XIII...

White knight chronicles did about 10 times better on ps3 then psp, Catherine has sold better then any atlus game on psp etc etc.

Catherine is not a jRPG (AKB48 on PSP sold two times Catherine.. Oh, well!); Little Battles Xperience is selling on par with the first WKC (the secondo ne sold way less on PS3) while Inazuma Eleven is a million seller with the latest two entries.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
mutsu said:
Crazy December is getting more crazy...

Mario Kart 7
New Love Plus
Monster Hunter 3G
Inazuma Eleven GO

Not to mention Super Mario 3D Land in November...

That is a killer holiday line up. It is going to do a major blow to PS Vita's launch.
I don't know if this be announced at Sep 13 but Luigi's Mansion 2 and Animal Crossing 3DS are Q1 2012.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
cQ6at.png

Chris1964 said:
I don't know if this be announced at Sep 13 but Luigi's Mansion 2 and Animal Crossing 3DS are Q1 2012.

Luigi's Mansion 2 will be perfect at the end of January, while I'd keep Animal Crossing for mid-March, so it could exploit the Golden Week.

Edit: basing on the graph, 3DS should start to sell higher than DS in November, when Mario Land is due to launch.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
electroplankton said:
Luigi's Mansion 2 will be perfect at the end of January, while I'd keep Animal Crossing for mid-March, so it could exploit the Golden Week.

Edit: basing on the graph, 3DS should start to sell higher than DS in November, when Mario Land is due to launch.

Considering GW is at the end of April... a mid March release, then new ads around GW period... it can work

Acosta

Erethian said:
The transition to handhelds started happening before the PS3 was even released, so I don't see where you get that idea from.

I'm talking about JRPGs. The transition of Japan to handhelds is solid, but there is a demand for home console JRPGs that the main actors in that sector will try to supply now there is an actual market they can address to.

Furthermore, the last years of a console are always richer in JRPGs, so while 3DS and Vita build their public, companies will look at the established market.

Mpl90 said:
Considering GW is at the end of April... a mid March release, then new ads around GW period... it can work
I'm more concerned about this AC. It better be good and not just a straight up rehash of the other games. I played the Wii one for an hour and got bored. Ugh.

wrowa

Pancakes R Us said:
I'm more concerned about this AC. It better be good and not just a straight up rehash of the other games. I played the Wii one for an hour and got bored. Ugh.
It's revolutionary. Now it's possible to swim!

Acosta said:
I'm talking about JRPGs. The transition of Japan to handhelds is solid, but there is a demand for home console JRPGs that the main actors in that sector will try to supply now there is an actual market they can address to.

Furthermore, the last years of a console are always richer in JRPGs, so while 3DS and Vita build their public, companies will look at the established market.

Sometimes people forget that there was a period where PS3 were selling sub-10k units on a weekly basis, and it couldn't reach average levels neither under Christmas (2007-first half of 2008), and where ports from 360 such Eternal Sonata and Enchanted Arms sold less or just a bit more on PS3, while DS and PSP saw results as Final Fantasy III, Crisis Core and Radiant Mythology.

gogogow

electroplankton said:
Sometimes people forget that there was a period where PS3 were selling sub-10k units on a weekly basis, and it couldn't reach average levels neither under Christmas (2007-first half of 2008), and where ports from 360 such Eternal Sonata and Enchanted Arms sold less or just a bit more on PS3, while DS and PSP saw results as Final Fantasy III, Crisis Core and Radiant Mythology.
Yep, there was a period. You are talking about 3-4 years ago. If there's one thing that we learned this generation is that past performance is no guarantee of future results . Look at the Wii, PS3 and PSP's performance. They all did a 180.

Eternal Sonata and Enchanted Arms? Really? What about Vesperia and Graces F. Good games that people actually care about.

Durante

electroplankton said:
And even during that period Gust's Atelier Rorona sold 130k on PS3 while the (much cheaper) Atelier Lise on DS only managed 40k.

I think JRPG companies messed up, and they did so mostly because for some reason they thought that to release a JRPG on PS3 they would need an enormous budget. (FWIW, also look at tales of Xilia. It mostly looks like a high-res PS2 game, yet the buying public in Japan apparently doesn't care)

electroplankton said:
Valkyria Chronicles sold a little more on PS3 than on PSP (considering both episodes) but it's unlikely SEGA earnt more from the first, since development costs were surely higher.
You're conveniently ignoring the fact that VC1 sold rather well in the West, while VC2 was so much of a non-event that they aren't even bringing 3 over. It was a stupid decision.

gogogow said:
Yep, there was a period. You are talking about 3-4 years ago. If there's one thing that we learned this generation is that past performance is no guarantee of future results . Look at the Wii, PS3 and PSP's performance. They all did a 180.

Eternal Sonata and Enchanted Arms? Really? What about Vesperia and Graces F. Good games that people actually care about.

True, but also true that software houses cannot shift strategies as their managers drink water; if a console doesnt' sell well for 2-3 years, and games don't sell particularly well, how is it possible to expect a sudden rise with incredible results? Those results anyway are still limited to series that are clearly appreciated by Sony fanbase, such as Tales and Atelier. Let's how Ni no Kuni will perform on PS3, meanwhile Final Fantasy XIII decreased compared to XII while Dragon Quest XI sold more than half million copies than VIII, and DS and PSP saw many new profitable and now established new IPs.

And even during that period Gust's Atelier Rorona sold 130k on PS3 while the (much cheaper) Atelier Lise on DS only managed 40k.

I think JRPG companies messed up, and they did so mostly because for some reason they thought that to release a JRPG on PS3 they would need an enormous budget. (FWIW, also look at tales of Xilia. It mostly looks like a high-res PS2 game, yet the buying public in Japan apparently doesn't care)

Atelier Lise is a very low profile entry in the series while Rorona is not, but I do thing that Gust has been happy with Lise as it was with Rorona, given totally different development costs.
Tales, Gust, and then? Have you forgotten Etrian Odyssey, God Eater, Phantasy Star Zero and Portable, Inazuma Eleven, Ni no Kuni, Soma Bringer, etc. etc.?

You're conveniently ignoring the fact that VC1 sold rather well in the West, while VC2 was so much of a non-event that they aren't even bringing 3 over. It was a stupid decision.

If they have managed to make a third entry, probably they were happy with the second episode results. Anyway, PSP problems are clear, but for example there's still a good fanbase for jRPG on DS in NA (Knights of the Nightmare debuted with over 24.000 copie, just an example and Inazuma Eleven saw a great success in Europa lately, to say there are possibilities in the West)

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Durante said:
It mostly looks like a high-res PS2 game
Which has been the case with most 360/PS3 output from Japan this generation. There's a reason budgets never spiraled out of control like they did in the west.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I don't think I posted these before:

2010 used software sales (Media Create White Paper)

[NDS] - 13.714.784 <28,14%>
[PSP] - 10.202.295 <20,93%>
[PS3] - 7.522.232 <15,43%>
[PS2] - 6.941.071 <14,24%>
[WII] - 6.132.461 <12,58%>
[360] - 2.078.370 <4,26%>
[PS1] - 1.654.048 <3,39%>
[GBA] - 490.581 <1,01%>
[ALL] - 48.735.841 <100,00%>

PS2 sold 4 times more used software than new.

noobie

Banned
Chris1964 said:
I don't think I posted these before:

2010 used software sales (Media Create White Paper)

[NDS] - 13.714.784 <28,14%>
[PSP] - 10.202.295 <20,93%>
[PS3] - 7.522.232 <15,43%>
[PS2] - 6.941.071 <14,24%>
[WII] - 6.132.461 <12,58%>
[360] - 2.078.370 <4,26%>
[PS1] - 1.654.048 <3,39%>
[GBA] - 490.581 <1,01%>
[ALL] - 48.735.841 <100,00%>

PS2 sold 4 times more used software than new.

Thanks, can we have new software sales for 2010 also.. just for comparison that how big is the used software market for each platform..

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Guys, I think we should talk about what happened at the Conference, especially

1/12 Mario Kart 7
8/12 New Love Plus
10/12 MH3G
15/12 Inazuma Eleven Go
22/12 SD Gundam G Generation 3D

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Mpl90 said:

1/12 Mario Kart 7
8/12 New Love Plus
10/12 MH3G
15/12 Inazuma Eleven Go

December is already strong - but they also have some big titles at the beginning and spring of 2012. 3DS sales should explode this holiday season.

I reckon 3DS is pretty much set for life in Japan right now. The only major franchise that they don't have right now is mainline Final Fantasy (and that's nothing compared to Monster Hunter 4)

The only thing that could save Vita right now is if all (or at least the majority) of the 3DS' major 3rd party titles went multiplatform (and I have already stated before why I think this is unlikely to happen - especially for Monster Hunter - so I'm not willing to do it again)

And even then, that still doesn't account for the factor of Nintendo's own hugely strong 1st party games. It would take a miracle and a tremendous cockup of epic proportions on Nintendo's part to stop the 3DS in Japan now (though the west is still up for grabs for the Vita - especially if COD Vita takes off like its console counterparts)

Erethian

Nuclear Muffin said:
I reckon 3DS is pretty much set for life in Japan right now. The only major franchise that they don't have right now is mainline Final Fantasy (and that's nothing compared to Monster Hunter 4)

The only thing that could save Vita right now is if all (or at least the majority) of the 3DS' major 3rd party titles went multiplatform (and I have already stated before why I think this is unlikely to happen - especially for Monster Hunter - so I'm not willing to do it again)

And even then, that still doesn't account for the factor of Nintendo's own hugely strong 1st party games. It would take a miracle and a tremendous cockup of epic proportions to stop the 3DS in Japan now (though the west is still up for grabs for the Vita - especially if COD Vita takes off like its console counterparts)

We'll obviously have a better picture of the sales prospects for Vita after TGS.

If there aren't some big announcements from Capcom (like something coming of MT Framework Mobile being on Vita) or SE, it'll be interesting to see how the system does. There's a good amount of support from smaller publishers for niche titles, but you need big pillar titles to broaden the base and really push systems. And unlike Nintendo, Sony can't rely on 1st party software to do that.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Erethian said:
We'll obviously have a better picture of the sales prospects for Vita after TGS.

If there aren't some big announcements from Capcom (like something coming of MT Framework Mobile being on Vita) or SE, it'll be interesting to see how the system does. There's a good amount of support from smaller publishers for niche titles, but you need big pillar titles to broaden the base and really push systems. And unlike Nintendo, Sony can't rely on 1st party software to do that.

This was already confirmed whey they revealed Vita with Lost Planet runnin on it. I expect some minor announcments - but nothing to big. Though i wouldnt be suprised to see something big from SE or Koji Productions.

Erethian

cw_sasuke said:
This was already confirmed whey they revealed Vita with Lost Planet runnin on it. I expect some minor announcments - but nothing to big. Though i wouldnt be suprised to see something big from SE or Koji Productions.

Well, that's what I was referring to. We know MT Framework Mobile is working on Vita, now we need to see a game that actually uses it.

Erethian said:
Well, that's what I was referring to. We know MT Framework Mobile is working on Vita, now we need to see a game that actually uses it.

Lost Planet Vita uses it and I'm sure that Street Fighter VS Tekken will be using it too (SSF4 3D uses MT Framework)

I'm betting on a Dragon's Dogma Vita port myself, so we'll probably get that at TGS as well.

Vita NEEDS to be released with some serious software, otherwise it will be invisible to Japanese while competing with that strong 3DS line-up and with PSP still selling well. It needs Monster Hunter but this is unlikely, it will have typical launch games :(

Mpl90 said:

1/12 Mario Kart 7
8/12 New Love Plus
10/12 MH3G
15/12 Inazuma Eleven Go
The last quarter (and particularly December) is so full of big stuff, it really is very much like how DS ended 2005 with Brain Age 2, Mario Kart DS, and Animal Crossing Wild World.

DNF

JoshuaJSlone said:
The last quarter (and particularly December) is so full of big stuff, it really is very much like how DS ended 2005 with Brain Age 2, Mario Kart DS, and Animal Crossing Wild World.

according to your site each ps2 and nds had at most 2 million-sellers being released in the same month. so 3ds could beat this ?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
1*: [NDS] Professor Layton and the Curious Village (Level 5) {2007.02.15}
2*: [NDS] Inazuma Eleven (Level 5) {2008.08.22}
3*: [NDS] Ni no Kuni: The Ebony Wizard (Level 5) {2010.12.09}
4*: [PSP] Little Battler Xperience (Level 5) {2011.06.16}
BoJKf.png

Nuclear Muffin said:
3DS also lacks a mainline Dragon Quest. The way things are going though, I definitely see it getting DQXI down the road. Hopefully I'll also finally get my DQVII remake on it, since Wii's clearly not going to.

FF mainline I can't see going to 3DS, but remakes of FFV/FFVI on that gorgeous Bravely Deficit engine will hopefully happen.

lunchwithyuzo said:
3DS also lacks a mainline Dragon Quest. The way things are going though, I definitely see it getting DQXI down the road. Hopefully I'll also finally get my DQVII remake on it, since Wii's clearly not going to.

FF mainline I can't see going to 3DS, but remakes of FFV/FFVI on that gorgeous Bravely Deficit engine will hopefully happen.

Well they did mention 3DS compatibility with DQ X (a streetpass app that lets you carry and trade your characters/maps/stuff around), so it does kinda sorta have a mainline Dragon Quest of its own.

duckroll

It's going to be pretty interesting to see how MH3G performs for the 3DS this December. The last time we had a big major franchise release on a system with low installed base was FFXIII:

PS3 installed base the week before FFXIII launched: 4,039,395
PS3 sales the week FFXIII launched: 237,086
FFXIII first week sales: 1,501,964

Based on what we have nowm the 3DS current installed base is at 1,727,529. With major titles like Super Mario 3D Land coming out in Nov, and Mario Kart 7 coming out before that in Dec, the 3DS installed base should be well over 2 million by the time MH3G is released. Maybe even close to 3 million.

How much hardware can MH3G move on that week? Will they be announcing a MH3G 3DS closer to the release date? Can it sell over a million in the first week?

Datschge

Nintendo's hardware sales are already traditionally high in December. With all these titles to add around that month I can fully imagine 3DS sales to be held back by shortages...

Top Bottom