• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 35, 2013 (Aug 26 - Sep 01)

Jamix012

I was talking about software sales, not hardware. When you look at ~30 PS2 titles that reached 650k versus ~5 PS3 titles that reached 650k.....I think having around 20 PS4 titles reach those sales isn't that unreasonable.

Bold prediction to be sure. I think the home console market will see a steeper decline than the handheld market personally.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I was talking about software sales, not hardware. When you look at ~30 PS2 titles that reached 650k versus ~5 PS3 titles that reached 650k.....I think having around 20 PS4 titles reach those sales isn't that unreasonable.

Ah I see.

That I can see as more possible even with a lower install base, though the main question in my mind is what franchises would have that kind of pull.

Like... the PS3 list covers a lot of the still alive larger franchises as it is.

Given things like f2p are on the rise as well the odds of lots of new retail franchises doesn't seem especially great.

If we're talking about growing from 6 to 8 games it seems a lot more plausible than getting to 14-18.

Shahed

Yeah, I guess youre right. It pains me to say it too. I'm only looking forward to TGS for the pre Nintendo direct and for footage of XV and KH III now.
I thought last year around this time was pretty bad. I'm hoping since it's the first Japanese news of PS4, we might get something interesting.

Not expecting a lot on the Wii U front. I suspect Nintendo's pre-TGS to be more based around 3DS.

L Thammy

I don't think it's possible at all for PlayStation 2 numbers to return. There are so many competitors to consoles that are doing well. Either the whole market would have to grow or those competitors would have to die, neither of which seem to be happening.

Still, PlayStation 4 should be able to do well for itself if it can get some strong properties. I think it should be noted that certain big franchises that were huge in the PS2 era have declined a lot (Final Fantasy, Musou), so I figure that it would require new hit franchises.

It's possible that the Masou Kishin games would be more well liked if:

- Each game isn't on a different platform
- Battle animations aren't crappy 3D pre-rendered shit
- The series didn't go into hiatus for like 15 years because of a legal dispute

Lol.

Isn't the Cybuster anime also infamously shitty?

Sony aren't blind, they will have something up their sleeve at TGS that can at least help Vita in Japan.

You're assuming that Sony still cares.

I have been playing videogames for more then two decades and I never seen such fragmentation of companies interests than this generation. People are blaming handhelds but that is actualy a part of lot of smaller problems.

Just look at the Tales of Xillia or MGS, yes, there is decline in sales, but not huge. Same goes for RE 6 (even with questionable quality). Even FFXIII didnt fall so much compare to its PS2 counterparts. We all know why XIII-2 failed so much. Then there was no mainline DQ, KH, Onimusha or Dino Crisis this time around.

If there is going to be a good reception of PS4, I can definetely see higher game sales than it was for PS3. Unfortunately, as you stated before, the era of PS1 and PS2 sales is long gone.

I'm not sure Onimusha and Dino Crisis would have the selling power today that they once did.

There was also no main MH on PS3 besides a port of MHP3, which sold close to 500K IIRC. A new MH on PS4 would sell 1 million units; however, I think Nintendo got that franchise locked down for the foreseeable future.

I remember seeing somewhere awhile ago that DQ maybe would be moved back to consoles, but I have a hard time seeing a new DQ on PS4 considering DQX is not being ported to any PS console and DQXI would be an easy 4+ million seller on 3DS.

Looking at the PS1 list it a vast majority is made of Tekken, Tales of, SE jrpgs and SCEJ's titles.

Tales could make a comeback next gen seeing how well Xillia did. Tekken is never going to reach its lofty heights of 1 million. The audience is just not there for some reason, SE's jrpgs will most likely just be FFXV and KH, a shadow of their former selves and GT and Hot Shots also might be able to do a bit better next gen.

Oersted

Looking at the PS1 list it a vast majority is made of Tekken, Tales of, SE jrpgs and SCEJ's titles.

Tales could make a comeback next gen seeing how well Xillia did. Tekken is never going to reach its lofty heights of 1 million. The audience is just not there for some reason, SE's jrpgs will most likely just be FFXV and KH, a shadow of their former selves and GT and Hot Shots also might be able to do a bit better next gen.

Didnt a couple of Tales guys said that they will stay PS3 for a long while?

zroid

Banned
Of course we'll never return to the halcyon days of the PS1 but I can definitely see PS4 software numbers end up between the PS2 and the PS3, closer to PS2 numbers.

If PS4 beats PS3 numbers, which is likely IMO, I don't think it will have anything to do with a maintained market size, but due to the fact it's once again the only relevant player, like in the PS2 days. PS4 LTD will probably be comparable to Wii, if I were to take a guess. Wii U is destined for GameCube numbers or worse, and Xbone is destined to do worse than the 360.

Fisico

Didnt a couple of Tales guys said that they will stay PS3 for a long while?

A "long while" maybe not, but you can expect the next mothership title to be on PS3.

and Tales games have exploded on the PS3

Absolutely.... not.
In fact Bamco was just screwing around by putting their titles everywhere but on the right platform, Xillia performed well (despite being somehow rushed during its development) but not on the same level the best titles did on PS1/2 (you can look a few pages before to see that Destiny PS1 was 800k+ and Eternia around 700k)

Principate

Saint Titanfall
If PS4 beats PS3 numbers, which is likely IMO, I don't think it will have anything to do with a maintained market size, but due to the fact it's once again the only relevant player, like in the PS2 days. PS4 LTD will probably be comparable to Wii, if I were to take a guess. Wii U is destined for GameCube numbers or worse, and Xbone is destined to do worse than the 360.

I'm not sure launching later than the rest of world, and a lack of a real push yet from Sony in terms of showing it's importance is really going to help that scenario.

I'm not sure launching later than the rest of world, and a lack of a real push yet from Sony in terms of showing it's importance is really going to help that scenario.

The Wii U is already a failure, it will struggle to sell 4-5m LTD and the Xbone is not even worth mentioning.

Sony will have to fail really really hard for the PS4 to not domiante the JPN console market next gen.

Busaiku

The failure of other systems won't necessarily prop PS4 up.
Consumers could just continue to lose interest in home gaming even more as mobile gains more support.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Anyone knows the price for the limited edition of PS3 AKB1/149?

Hey now. God Eater 2 will be huge.

Huge meaning PSP/PSV God Eater 2 sales matching PSP God Eater sales maybe.

It's not unreasonable, it's crazy.

A "long while" maybe not, but you can expect the next mothership title to be on PS3.

Absolutely.... not.
In fact Bamco was just screwing around by putting their titles everywhere but on the right platform, Xillia performed well (despite being somehow rushed during its development) but not on the same level the best titles did on PS1/2 (you can look a few pages before to see that Destiny PS1 was 800k+ and Eternia around 700k)

When its all said and done Xillia will be 650-700k. If you look at PS1 software sales which are the greatest home console sales iirc tons of jrpgs died down even FF went down. However Tales of Xillia has shown that Tales of franchise is not one that has receded that badly. MGS is another that has been consistent.

The Wii U is already a failure, it will struggle to sell 4-5m LTD and the Xbone is not even worth mentioning.

Sony will have to fail really really hard for the PS4 to not domiante the JPN console market next gen.

Yeah and thats why there is even more importance placed on how well the PS4 does.

Nintendo had a very strong performance in Japan the last few years. Will they really struggle to reach 4-5m even with pricedrops and strong franchises launching? Especially taking into account that many staple third party franchises that helped PS1 and PS2 sales are not the sales juggernauts they once were and also that many third parties just cant release as frequently as they did anymore?

cafemomo

51.097 > 67.022

jurassic_park_did_you_feel_that.gif

Well, I think I know why Iwata was very smug in that PR pic
7YxBawT.jpg

If you mean FF numbers will go lower and lower then yes.

whatever

RalchAC

Absolutely.... not.

I don't get why the developed one game for the X360 (well, yes, i know. Moneyhating) and 2 for the Wii.

Tales of Vesperia sold more than 2x in the PS3. And because of the game being published in the 360 we don't get the full version of the game...

Tales of Graces f sold slightly less than 2x in PS3 than the Wii, right? At least, in this case we get the definitive version.

Their audience is on PS platforms. It always were. I don't get why they do those weird experiments. Hopefully, with X1 aparently doing nothing in Japan and WiiU bombing, this time I'm going to know which platform I need to purchase for my Tales fix.

Nintendo had a very strong performance in Japan the last few years. Will they really struggle to reach 4-5m even with pricedrops and strong franchises launching? Especially taking into account that many staple third party franchises that helped PS1 and PS2 sales are not the sales juggernauts they once were and also that many third parties just cant release as frequently as they did anymore?

Those ps1/2 franchises are irrelevant to wiiu's potential since it's not getting those games. We've seen what a Nintendo home system sells like without a new craze to drive it's sales in the gamecube which sold 4.5 million.
Wiiu will sell worse than that because, as has been discused already in regards to ps4, there is a general decline in the home console market and also the wiiu will have much worse third party support than the gamecube did.

I don't get why the developed one game for the X360 (well, yes, i know. Moneyhating) and 2 for the Wii.

Tales of Vesperia sold more than 2x in the PS3. And because of the game being published in the 360 we don't get the full version of the game...

Tales of Graces f sold slightly less than 2x in PS3 than the Wii, right? At least, in this case we get the definitive version.

Their audience is on PS platforms. It always were. I don't get why they do those weird experiments. Hopefully, with X1 aparently doing nothing in Japan and WiiU bombing, this time I'm going to know which platform I need to purchase for my Tales fix.
They said they now understand where their audience is, so I'm pretty sure it'll be a PS3 -> PS4 strategy for mothership Tales games. No idea where they'll go with spinoffs...probably Vita, but then those remakes (as cheap and terrible looking they were) were real bombas. Oh wait, iOS, duh.

I'm not sure Onimusha and Dino Crisis would have the selling power today that they once did.

There was also no main MH on PS3 besides a port of MHP3, which sold close to 500K IIRC. A new MH on PS4 would sell 1 million units; however, I think Nintendo got that franchise locked down for the foreseeable future.

I remember seeing somewhere awhile ago that DQ maybe would be moved back to consoles, but I have a hard time seeing a new DQ on PS4 considering DQX is not being ported to any PS console and DQXI would be an easy 4+ million seller on 3DS.

What are the chances of MH4HD happening on the PS4? And if the port sells well, perhaps MH console games will move back to the Playstation? We all know how well MH3U did on the WiiU......

What are the chances of MH4HD happening on the PS4? And if the port sells well, perhaps MH console games will move back to the Playstation? We all know how well MH3U did on the WiiU......

about as much chance as finding a chest full of treasure @ the end of the rainbow..

FlynnCL

Unconfirmed Member
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team and Youkai Watch are doing pretty good now.

Ouch at Vita, I wasn't expecting it to go back to such awful numbers so quickly.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
24./10. [WIU] The Wonderful 101 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2013.08.24} (¥6.830) - 3.463 / 10.126 <20-40%> (-48%)

Wonderful 10100 sales. The joke is now reality. So perfect it has to be rigged.

We will see about that. Someone here eariler said that we should at least wait until MK8 before we make a final judgment on the system. I kinda agree with him tbh. In about a year from now, almost all the big Wii U sellers should be out (3D Mario, Wii Fit U, Wii Party U, DK, MK8, Smash and possibly more).

By the end of 2014 we should have a very clear idea of how far this thing can go sales wise.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Your assuming mobile and handhelds don't won't eat further into the console pie which is a very real possibility. It's expensive it's far from a foregone conclusion Japanese gamers will just jump on it when mobile gaming it's still extremely strong.

zroid

Banned
That's pretty decent considering the userbase, right? Enough to warrant another one for MH4?

I dunno about Wii U, but it has to worthwhile putting the games on a console, at least. Up-porting is easy and there's definitely an audience for it, especially in the West.

Metallix87

That's pretty decent considering the userbase, right? Enough to warrant another one for MH4?

I'd say it's very likely it did well enough, and I think Capcom stated as much. MH4 on Wii U is likely to happen because Nintendo will money hat it for the West.

In both the case of MHP3rd and MH3G the HD ports did ~10% of their handheld counterparts. Which would be pretty bad in a normal situation, but MH isn't a normal franchise.

Why anybody would think MH4 HD would come to the PS4 or perform so well MH5 jumps platforms, though, is pure fanboy delusion.

crinale

I dunno about Wii U, but it has to worthwhile putting the games on a console, at least. Up-porting is easy and there's definitely an audience for it, especially in the West.

People would never pour money into MHF (monthly subscription with micro transactions) if MH4HD exists as an option, so Capcom would never release HD version to WiiU or PS3 unless they cease the MHFG service.
If they still want to release console version, then it would require monthly subscription fee, just like MH / MHG / MH2 / MH3.

BlackJace

People would never pour money into MHF (monthly subscription with micro transactions) if MH4HD exists as an option, so Capcom would never release HD version to WiiU or PS3 unless they cease the MHFG service.
If they still want to release console version, then it would require monthly subscription fee, just like MH / MHG / MH2 / MH3.

Monthly sub AND microtransactions?

Capcom pls.

RM8

I'm not comfortable with those Vita numbers post-price-drop, with a debuting game performing well.

kubricks

They said they now understand where their audience is...

On iOS right? Fuck you Namco.

I am still pissed at the fact they released Tales of Heart on DS... while it is a glorious game with so much heart and soul in it (I complete it like what... three times?) .... it would be infinitely better with Tales of Destiny Re/2 graphics and control, but instead what I got on the PSP which is capable to do such thing? FUCKING RM, RM and more RM.

Then move on to the Vita what they released? Tales of Heart (YAY!), but in RM engine (NOOOOOOO).

Top Bottom