• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 35, 2013 (Aug 26 - Sep 01)

kubricks

I'm not comfortable with those Vita numbers post-price-drop, with a debuting game performing well.

It seems like whatever they try to do, they are still unable to expand the audience.
The releases keeps existing owner happy, but that's not going to get the platform anywhere.

hongcha

I don't think we'll see a rise in Vita sales until the end of September, when Sen no Kiseki is released. From then until the end of the year there are a lot of releases (especially in November), so I expect healthier weekly sales in the 15-20K range with occasional bumps above that.

antonz

I don't get all this Monster Hunter is going to jump platform talk.

MH on Consoles has done better than ever since teaming up with Nintendo. Tri is the best selling console version of any MH game. TriU on the Wii U has sold probably 300-400k worldwide and factoring userbase that's fantastic.

DaBoss

Finally got caught up in the thread.

PS3 got a nice boost from the games.

Surprised with the posts "what happened to the Vita". 10K isn't some threshold it has to go under in order for it to be doing bad. Look at the Wii U, it was above 10K for a while before, but it was still doing bad.

Also, Monster Hunter Smart seems like some sort of wave based game and with a Monster Hunter skin placed on it with a super simplification of its combat and includes HP bars lol. Damage numbers are not as bad, but HP bars for monsters in MH is just funny.

Kickz

How in the!? Why isn't Vita going up now with a game selling 30k? It snow dipping every week. o-O

icicles_1562085i.jpg

In both the case of MHP3rd and MH3G the HD ports did ~10% of their handheld counterparts. Which would be pretty bad in a normal situation, but MH isn't a normal franchise.

Why anybody would think MH4 HD would come to the PS4 or perform so well MH5 jumps platforms, though, is pure fanboy delusion.

MH3 did over 1 million on the Wii.

MH3U did 200k on the WiiU.

If you were Capcom, would you want to put another MH game on WiiU? Where else would you develop a console MH?

I'm not saying it's likely, just that it's possible.

zroid

Banned

If you were Capcom, would you want to put another MH game on WiiU? Where else would you develop a console MH?

So what you're saying is...

they should put MH4G on Wii

;)

(to be fair, Tri was a wholly original game at the time, MH3G was a port of a game already released on the most popular handheld, which was an upgraded version of Tri itself -- not exactly the same situation)

Mondriaan

If I were Capcom I would port it everywhere because the whole dividing your base idea is only possibly true for portables and is not even a sure thing there- otherwise why even have any MH on iOS?

DaBoss

Context is everything don't you think?

MH3 was the first main numbered entry in the series. The Wii userbase was well over 8 million when the game launched. The MH3G HD was a launch title for the Wii U. MH3 was the first 3rd gen Monster Hunter game/release. MH3G HD is the 5th 3rd gen release (MH3, MHP3rd, MHP3rd HD, MH3G).

Your narrative is basically saying MH3U should have released on the PSP.

jeremy1456

MH on Consoles has done better than ever since teaming up with Nintendo. Tri is the best selling console version of any MH game. TriU on the Wii U has sold probably 300-400k worldwide and factoring userbase that's fantastic.

The port begging from the Vita crowd is spilling over to the PS4 crowd.

Sony hardware is near launch so logic on this forum is on the decline.

crinale

Context is everything don't you think?

MH3 was the first main numbered entry in the series. The Wii userbase was well over 8 million when the game launched. The MH3G HD was a launch title for the Wii U. MH3 was the first 3rd gen Monster Hunter game/release. MH3G HD is the 5th 3rd gen release (MH3, MHP3rd, MHP3rd HD, MH3G).

Your narrative is basically saying MH3U should have released on the PSP.

That's exactly what Capcom got questioned from shareholders at the meeting.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The latest figure we have for the game is from Famitsu.

As of June 30th, 2013, MH3U for Wii U sold 215,258 units, 110,149 of that in its debut week.

That's a response that says how many units it sold, not how well it did ;) the distinction is very operative in this context. I always choose my questions carefully.

That's a response that says how many units it sold, not how well it did ;) the distinction is very operative in this context. I always choose my questions carefully.

Capcom literally called it a smash hit, seriously, they must be thrilled. o_O

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/05/capcom_describes_monster_hunter_3_ultimate_as_a_smash_hit

Furthermore, "Monster Hunter 3 (Tri) G HD Ver.", which was our first title for the new home video console "Wii U" that was launched in December 2012, also became a smash hit. However, its package sales were generally soft.

DaBoss

That's exactly what Capcom got questioned from shareholders at the meeting.

And they're right to. It would have no doubt sold better on the PSP, although my guess would be it would have sold below MHP3rd.

The producer of MH has already said they have chosen MH4 to be on the 3DS, so they created MH3G for the 3DS to get some of the fanbase on the platform along with them just trying out how the game will work on the 3DS.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I actually think it's possible for Wii U to dip below Dreamcast launch aligned.

If Wii U averages 8,000 for the next 12 weeks before Mario 3D world, and then averages 20,000 a week for 8 weeks for Mario 3D World + holidays, it'd end 59 weeks plus 2 holidays at 1,307,000 units. Dreamcast ended 59 weeks and 2 holidays at 1,309,532 units. Not saying it's likely, but it's interesting that it's actually possible for the Wii U to drop behind the Dreamcast. Certainly more possible than it catching up to the Gamecube.

Yawnier

Banned
Lots of playstation software at the top this week, I don't really see much else in terms of anything new. Vita and Wii U selling like turds as usual.

What the hell causes the difference in sales between Famitsu and Media Create for JoJo? My first week predictions would have been spot on if it were for MC, but it's 30k off of Famitsu.

Lost Planet 3 did a lot better than I expected too.

saichi

I'm not sure what you expect from MH3U. 215K on a 1.06 million base for a up-port of a 2mil selling game looks pretty good. Also, as someone pointed out earlier, both MH3P HD and MH3U sold about 10% of their portable counterpart which means releasing HD port on WiiU did not do worse. Hence, if I were Capcom, I would put it on WiiU again since MH4 is on 3DS.

PS4 might bomb so hard in Japan and do worse than WiiU in its first year. VITA can also come back like PSP did after GE2 is released and go on selling more than 10 million units in Japan. I'm not saying it's likely, just that it's possible since anything is possible.

I actually think it's possible for Wii U to dip below Dreamcast launch aligned.

If Wii U averages 8,000 for the next 12 weeks before Mario 3D world, and then averages 20,000 a week for 8 weeks for Mario 3D World + holidays, it'd end 59 weeks plus 2 holidays at 1,307,000 units. Dreamcast ended 59 weeks and 2 holidays at 1,309,532 units. Not saying it's likely, but it's interesting that it's actually possible for the Wii U to drop behind the Dreamcast. Certainly more possible than it catching up to the Gamecube.

If WiiU only manages to sell that much after Mario 3D World is released and in December, it deserves to drop behind Dreamcast.

Despite recent weeks in hardware, Vita's performance has actrually surprised me a bit more through the summer. It managed to pull >10k much longer than I anticipated and had quite a few titles chart (however they didn't stick around for long). But maybe when you're comparing to shit, it's not hard to beat expecations.

Wii U on the other hand has continually been in line with my expecations of absolutely pathetic performance.

Wynnebeck

Banned
The port begging from the Vita crowd is spilling over to the PS4 crowd.

Sony hardware is near launch so logic on this forum is on the decline.

Oh get off your damn high horse. I love how some people in these threads assume that Capcom owns fealty to Nintendo or anyone else for that matter. While I doubt MH is going anywhere else but 3DS for the time being, lets stop acting like Capcom is entitled to only put MH on only Nintendo hardware. We just got MH Smart. If Capcom thinks it will make them money, they will go for it. As for the PS4 jab, I guess that's just your frustrations with Wii U manifesting.

Into

There is no denying that the console crowd got split in 2 halves with the Wii and PS3 in Japan, one is at around 12-13 million, the other at near 10 million. Yet for some reason people compare PS3 and PS2 numbers and detract from that the Japanese console sales are on a massive decline, one was a market leader, the other one isent. The Wii still counts, its still a console, the numbers have to be factored in. The Japanese home console market is on a decline, but not as much as some people make it out to be, they just decide not to include the Wii numbers at all, which is not apt way to compare the 2 generations.

This time around there is no other player, so i can easily the PS4 outselling the PS3 in Japan, unless Nintendo turns its sinking ship the Wii U massively around, which is possible but not probable, Sony will have that home console market all for themselves, no phenomenon like the original Wii this time around

What are the chances of Wii U YTD numbers this year being less than last years?

Looking at the number, Wii U needs to sell on average 11-12k for the remaining weeks this year to meet last years numbers.

Vinnk

Oh get off your damn high horse. I love how some people in these threads assume that Capcom owns fealty to Nintendo or anyone else for that matter. While I doubt MH is going anywhere else but 3DS for the time being, lets stop acting like Capcom is entitled to only put MH on only Nintendo hardware. We just got MH Smart. If Capcom thinks it will make them money, they will go for it. As for the PS4 jab, I guess that's just your frustrations with Wii U manifesting.

I agree. If RE4 taught us anything it's that Capcom has loyalty to only money.

But to say that MH Smart means anything is a bit of a stretch. They had MH Slash on iOS 2 years ago (Infinity Blade clone). These are just quick, minimal effort cash grabs. It's like saying FFXVI will jump platform since we have "All the Bravest".

Lumyst

It wasn't alive in the first place..

To think that I once said to myself, while reading people's "bomba" predictions for Wonderful 101, that "The visibility of being a first party title will get the Nintendo gamers' attention and the sales will thus be decent" for Wonderful 101, and then I revised it to "Well, maybe Japanese Nintendo gamers are different and they aren't just buying Mario, unlike in the West, so they'll make sure it's relatively successful in their home country." But I guess I now have to be cynical about all Nintendo gamers now (not the ones on GAF though), and I wonder if even Nintendo themselves are too :-( There's nothing special about them, nothing that says "We buy the most quirky, fun, and unique games that the other guys don't make, so if your game is quirky, fun and unique it has a home on Nintendo consoles." They just buy the games they want to buy, like all other gamers do, and those games happen to be the traditional Nintendo franchises (or what Miyamoto makes. I mean, here I was thinking Wonderful 101 would be attractive to the Pikmin players, for instance). Oh well, I've read people's despair at what happened with Sin & Punishment; Wonderful 101 is my first personal "heartbreaking" bomba. Now, if X bombs...I will probably physically feel pain (jk, or maybe not)

No price drop or bundle's been announced for Wii U in JP has there? 2DS also.

I wonder if people refrained from buying a Wii U due to waiting for the likely fall conference that could be as early as next week where the drop could be announced? How often are these kinds of announcements spaced out between the west and JP? Because I know often they are simultaneous (this whole thing could've been in a NA Fall Conference, odd they did this all via PRs and such).

Not that expect a sudden jump if there's no announcement say by the end of the month if nothing happens, but that's a theory I have.

Vinnk

No price drop or bundle's been announced for Wii U in JP has there? 2DS also.

Due to the current exchange rate the 31,500yen (about $315 US) the WiiU currently costs is less than the $350 it price the WiiU currently has in the US. Even after the US price drop it will only be a little more costly in Japan.

Not saying Japan doesn't need a price drop (they do) but probably Nintendo thinks they don't need one as badly as the US needed one. The exchange rates have changed a lot since the Wii U was released. (I think it was less than 90yen to the dollar when it launched).

Fisico

I don't get why the developed one game for the X360 (well, yes, i know. Moneyhating) and 2 for the Wii.

Tales of Vesperia sold more than 2x in the PS3. And because of the game being published in the 360 we don't get the full version of the game...

Tales of Graces f sold slightly less than 2x in PS3 than the Wii, right? At least, in this case we get the definitive version.

Their audience is on PS platforms. It always were. I don't get why they do those weird experiments. Hopefully, with X1 aparently doing nothing in Japan and WiiU bombing, this time I'm going to know which platform I need to purchase for my Tales fix.

There was some moneyhat with Microsoft without a doubt.
As for the DS and Wii episodes I think they had the same dumb logic that some on GAF, they put their games on the best selling hardwares expecting them to perform accordingly.
But that's not how it works (except Symphonia R sales were fine considering what the game was)

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Their audience is on PS platforms. It always were. I don't get why they do those weird experiments. Hopefully, with X1 aparently doing nothing in Japan and WiiU bombing, this time I'm going to know which platform I need to purchase for my Tales fix.

I don't think this is absolutely true, look at Tales of Symphonia on GameCube. They can be very successful on other platforms, too.

Frodo

If Capcom wants to release MH4 on consoles PS3 still is a way better alternative than PS4. I don't see why they would spend more money to make a PS4 game when they have a 10mi user base there and the costs to make the game for the PS3 could be lower. But we never know. It might happen if they want to build a user base.

I'm still hoping a MH4 will be announced after the holidays for the Wii U, though. It would complement MH3U very well. And they already have an engine in place to make the port, right? So what do they have to lose? Even if it sells the same as MH3U did it would probably still be profitable.

If Capcom wants to release MH4 on consoles PS3 still is a way better alternative than PS4. I don't see why they would spend more money to make a PS4 game when they have a 10mi user base there and the costs to make the game for the PS3 could be lower. But we never know. It might happen if they want to build a user base.

I'm still hoping a MH4 will be announced after the holidays for the Wii U, though. It would complement MH3U very well. And they already have an engine in place to make the port, right? So what do they have to lose? Even if it sells the same as MH3U did it would probably still be profitable.

It depends on when they would be releasing doesn't it? If they were targeting a release date say 2 years from now would the PS3 userbase still be as active? Plus if they make it for the PS3 it's basically a dying platform, whereas the PS4 has many years ahead of it for them to take advantage of the fan base on that platform.

If the PS4 actually is a bigger success than PS3 than i could see it happening especially with the wii U basically being dead.

Sandfox

There was some moneyhat with Microsoft without a doubt.
As for the DS and Wii episodes I think they had the same dumb logic that some on GAF, they put their games on the best selling hardwares expecting them to perform accordingly.
But that's not how it works (except Symphonia R sales were fine considering what the game was)

I don't see MS moneyhatting Japanese games when it didn't really do much for the 360.

Frodo

It depends on when they would be releasing doesn't it? If they were targeting a release date say 2 years from now would the PS3 userbase still be as active? Plus if they make it for the PS3 it's basically a dying platform, whereas the PS4 has many years ahead of it for them to take advantage of the fan base on that platform.

If the PS4 actually is a bigger success than PS3 than i could see it happening especially with the wii U basically being dead.

Oh, sure! In two years from now it would be better to release it on PS4. It will probably have a decent number of units out there while the PS3 active users will be less than they are now. I was talking about a near future release, like spring 2014.

To think that I once said to myself, while reading people's "bomba" predictions for Wonderful 101, that "The visibility of being a first party title will get the Nintendo gamers' attention and the sales will thus be decent" for Wonderful 101, and then I revised it to "Well, maybe Japanese Nintendo gamers are different and they aren't just buying Mario, unlike in the West, so they'll make sure it's relatively successful in their home country." But I guess I now have to be cynical about all Nintendo gamers now (not the ones on GAF though), and I wonder if even Nintendo themselves are too :-( There's nothing special about them, nothing that says "We buy the most quirky, fun, and unique games that the other guys don't make, so if your game is quirky, fun and unique it has a home on Nintendo consoles." They just buy the games they want to buy, like all other gamers do, and those games happen to be the traditional Nintendo franchises (or what Miyamoto makes. I mean, here I was thinking Wonderful 101 would be attractive to the Pikmin players, for instance). Oh well, I've read people's despair at what happened with Sin & Punishment; Wonderful 101 is my first personal "heartbreaking" bomba. Now, if X bombs...I will probably physically feel pain (jk, or maybe not)

Well it all depends on how X is marketed. If Nintendo markets it as the next big jrpg or their number 1 jrpg I can see it doing okay. If they let it go to the wayside then it will flop.

I don't think this is absolutely true, look at Tales of Symphonia on GameCube. They can be very successful on other platforms, too.

Tales fanbase has always been on playstation systems. Tales of Symphonia actually did better on the PS2 in Japan and the series, more so now than ever has the vast majority of its sales come from Japan. I don't have WW numbers though,

Deluded desperation.

Fisico

Uh no ?
If you're talking about worldwide sales then it's a more complex matter, fact being than every Tales of on a Nintendo platform sold better than every Tales of on others platforms (both Sony and Microsoft) outside Japan

EDIT

I don't see MS moneyhatting Japanese games when it didn't really do much for the 360.

Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey ?
Then there was some exclusivity (which ended up lasting one year) which popped out of nowhere for Trusty Bell, Star Ocean 4, Tales of Vesperia and Square Enix Infinite Undiscovery, Last Remnant

And then in 2010 it just stopped, despite every fucking single game on this list underperformed one after another it still lasted around 3 years.

I wouldn't say that it was useless for Microsoft though (360 sold three times better than og Xbox), but it didn't have the effects they expected it to have

Deluded desperation.

I'm really more of a nintendo fan and i see myself getting a wii U before a PS4. The PS4 looks like it's going to be a huge success worldwide meanwhile the wii U is aspiring to reach even dreamcast numbers. It's not that hard to see a situation where capcom might find that the more favorable platform.

Kinda like how MH went to 3DS. Sure the psp is what made the franchise the monster it is today but ultimately the 3DS looked like the better home for the franchise going forward and that's where it went.

MH4G will most likely take a year to come and it probably be on 3DS. Now the HD version will come even later and depending on how well the PS4 does and the WiiU's situation may come to it.

Durante

Then there was some exclusivity (which ended up lasting one year) which popped out of nowhere for Trusty Bell, Star Ocean 4, Tales of Vesperia and Square Enix Infinite Undiscovery, Last Remnant

And then in 2010 it just stopped, despite every fucking single game on this list underperformed one after another it still lasted around 3 years.
Yeah, too much of this was going on (and it was way too counter-productive for the companies involved) for it to be a mere coincidence.

I wouldn't say that it was useless for Microsoft though (360 sold three times better than og Xbox), but it didn't have the effects they expected it to have
Well, it made me buy a 360!

Xbox360 still is no real factor in japan and they have basically moneyhatted every JRPG dev out there.
MH4G will most likely take a year to come and it probably be on 3DS. Now the HD version will come even later and depending on how well the PS4 does and the WiiU's situation may come to it.

you mean depending on the moneyhats Sony or Nintendo will be providing

Kysen

Its mind boggling how a game like w101 with so much effort put in can sell less copies than the typical moe shovelware. What is going on in Japan?

Top Bottom