• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 35, 2013 (Aug 26 - Sep 01)

It should have been a Vita title from the start.

If it doesn't outsells TW101 with PS3's user base I would be very very surprised.

I agree, Vita would have a good platformer trio: Rayman, Tearaway and Puppeteer. Is gonna be something if KZ outsells Puppeteer lol. ( and yeah Im pretty sure that Tearaway is going to be yet another bomba).

Really bad year for new IPs save TLOU.

I agree, Vita would have a good platformer trio: Rayman, Tearaway and Puppeteer. Is gonna be something if KZ outsells Puppeteer lol. ( and yeah Im pretty sure that Tearaway is going to be yet another bomba).

Really bad year for new IPs save TLOU.

Soul Sacrifice and Toukiden did great for new IPs too

DR2K

Banned
Yeah Puppateer should have been for Vita. New IPs are a hard sell at the end of a console gen since there's so much competition.

I hope Tearaway does well.

What do initial sales goals mean? First week sale? First month?

Puppeteer looks great. It deserves a lot more success. Hope it has good word of mouth and good legs. Gamers should be more receptive to new IPs, you know, since they complain so much about the same games coming out every year.

The sentence in question (for Puppeteer) is:
" ここを参考にしたSCEの初回目標は7万本。"

They used the words:

初回 = First / Initial
目標 = Goal / Aim / Objective

...to describe SCE's expectations for the two titles in Japan.

Because there was no date (like 今月) attached to the "First goal" clause, I believe that SCE just wants to hit those figures in terms of total shipments. Presumably, when they hit the 70K / 30K goal, they'll set a new goal.

Actually one of the best fighting games and easily TN best game. Try the f2p version for yourself.

Ps you can turn jiggling off.
I have DOA5+ on PSV and i love it. It is a well made fighting game indeed. I wasn't really pointing fingers at the quality of the game, it was just sad to see a good platformer completely tank in sales.

He also says Gravity Rush has done 150k (including the "best" release).
That's great to hear.

People want new IPs but don't want new IPs. It's more human nature than it is anything wrong with a demographic.

Well, I strongly believe that new IPs should be introduced earlier in a platform's lifespan (I.E. Mass Effect, Dead Space, Dead Rising, Lost Planet, Uncharted etc...).

"hey I got this shiny new game system! Lets try this, etc..."

Just seems to work well.

DR2K

Banned
I have DOA5+ on PSV and i love it. It is a well made fighting game indeed. I wasn't really pointing fingers at the quality of the game, it was just sad to see a good platformer completely tank in sales.

That's great to hear.

It sucks indeed, but this is more because it was a new IP than anything else.

I was disappointed with SS, it hardly sold like 200k ltd, rather low for a high profile MH clone(I know, its not exactly the same), and Toukiden comes out with 0 expectations and sells as much as SS.
Toukiden is more of a MH clone than SS. I won't really call SS a MH clone TBH.

Frodo

The sentence in question (for Puppeteer) is:
" ここを参考にしたSCEの初回目標は7万本。"

They used the words:

初回 = First / Initial
目標 = Goal / Aim / Objective

...to describe SCE's expectations for the two titles in Japan.

Because there was no date (like 今月) attached to the "First goal" clause, I believe that SCE just wants to hit those figures in terms of total shipments. Like...when they hit the 70K / 30K goal, they'll set a new goal.

Oh, thanks for the clarification! Appreciated! :)

Kid Ying

Road;80310637 "This Week's Rabbids Land" is the demeaning description the blog adopted for the games with sell-through bombas. Let's see if Rayman can stop its predestined future.[/QUOTE said:
I can't see it doing well, but since it's being published by Nintendo, it has a bigger chance of charting... On dengeki.

I'm not sure of Nintendo marketing power after W101. Lego was a surprise, but Wonderful could be much better...

Prelude.

I was disappointed with SS, it hardly sold like 200k ltd, rather low for a high profile MH clone(I know, its not exactly the same), and Toukiden comes out with 0 expectations and sells as much as SS.

I think Freedom Wars is more likely to be a hit. SS style does not translate well with a small install base, they should have relesed it later.

zroid

Banned
SS did pretty damn well for a new IP on a deeply troubled platform, even if it was heavily promoted.

Toukiden is more of a MH clone than SS. I won't really call SS a MH clone TBH.

I agree, but that's how it was marketed, IIRC. Inafune even made those comparisons himself, which I thought was a little crass, but eh.

Nibel

A sense of schadenfreude came over me then. Only happens when I see a high profile title bombing spectacularly. -_-

i0MR2arsuZNTG.gif

Wow

A sense of schadenfreude came over me then. Only happens when I see a high profile title bombing spectacularly. -_-

Wonderful 101 is not a high profile title at all. It was an unknown new ip for the vast majority of the gaming community in Japan on a system with a tiny install base. It was an underdog if there ever was one.

PureGone

Banned
Not sure if this is the right place to ask but can you preorder PS4's in Japan yet? All we have been hearing about is europe and america.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but can you preorder PS4's in Japan yet? All we have been hearing about is europe and america.

I believe you can sign up for email updates as to when preordering will become available.
And presumably, after Sony's 9/9 pre-TGS conference when they announce the launch date and schedule, you'll be able to preorder.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Wonderful 101 is not a high profile title at all. It was an unknown new ip for the vast majority of the gaming community in Japan on a system with a tiny install base. It was an underdog if there ever was one.

Lets not pretend otherwise. When youre at trade shows on centre stage, getting your own Nintendo Direct and one of like... two new titles on Nintendo's latest home console system until the end of the year, it was high profile.

Now Nintendo may have failed to actually make it high profile, but W101 wasnt some e-Shop only budget release. With those sales I guess it perhaps should have been, but theres no spinning it.

Puppeteer appeals to me greatly, but it certainly has a very different and weird feel to all other games. A sort of very specific overly narrated British thing more than anything, and Sony would be wise to advertise it stronger here. I don't see it appealing to a JPN audience at all, unlike W101 with all its Sentai tropes.

AOC83

Banned
Lets not pretend otherwise. When youre at trade shows on centre stage, getting your own Nintendo Direct and one of like... two new titles on Nintendo's latest home console system until the end of the year, it was high profile.

Now Nintendo may have failed to actually make it high profile, but W101 wasnt some e-Shop only budget release. With those sales I guess it perhaps should have been, but theres no spinning it.

Puppeteer appeals to me greatly, but it certainly has a very different and weird feel to all other games. A sort of very specific overly narrated British thing more than anything, and Sony would be wise to advertise it stronger here. I don't see it appealing to a JPN audience at all, unlike W101 with all its Sentai tropes.

Sorry but that´s not saying anything. Absolutely nobody cares about Nintendo Directs. this game was sent out to die by Nintendo.

Ok then, Nintendo could´ve seen it that way, they have comnpletely lost contact with reality though.

Nope - after all they made a correct judgment of W101 having 0 chance to push Wii U and concentrated on "free" internet marketing for it to make Nintendo fans aware of it's existance.

AOC83

Banned
Nope - after all they made a correct judgment of W101 having 0 chance to push Wii U and concentrated on "free" internet marketing for it to make Nintendo fans aware of it's existance.

It was clear from the beginning that this game would bomb the only question was how hard, so why found it in the first place?

test_account

XP-39C²
Ok then, Nintendo could´ve seen it that way, they have comnpletely lost contact with reality though.
I wonder how Nintendo sees the efficency of Nintendo Direct. Iwata was impresssed about how many views Animal Crossing Nintendo Direct got, and he pointed out that it was not just a short 2-3 minute video, but a ~40 minute presentation (i dont remember the exact minutes, but it was something like that). That Nintendo Direct did get many views though, but i wonder how Nintendo sees Nintendo Direct in general.

It was clear from the beginning that this game would bomb the only question was how hard, so why found it in the first place?

When they greenlighted it they were still projecting to have like 8-9 milions of Wii U sold at this point of time.

Thanks, I thought it sounded a little off.
Will the "best" re release push sales up if it happens?

Yes - just remember that we only have data to the point when game was last time signed in top 30 famitsu - games don't stop selling when they leave top 30 so long term legs won't be known until one of trackers releases top 500 2013 or something like this.

Always sad to see a good game fail with Puppeteer, just as with Wonderful 101, but I didn't expect it to do well. Its quirkiness is its greatest asset as it got it noticed, but it also, I expect, makes it harder to market. I have a feeling it will reach cult status but never sell well globally.

When they greenlighted it they were still projecting to have like 8-9 milions of Wii U sold at this point of time.
Technically, they are still protecting to have that many sold this fiscal year. AFAIK, they haven't changed their targets. Though I understand what you're saying.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
On a somewhat related note I wonder when Call of Duty sales start to stagnate in Japan. It's pretty crazy that Black Ops 2 got to 500k total between its different versions.

Why exactly do they do different versions anyway instead of just having the subtitle + dubbed being on one disc?

duckroll

On a somewhat related note I wonder when Call of Duty sales start to stagnate in Japan. It's pretty crazy that Black Ops 2 got to 500k total between its different versions.

Why exactly do they do different versions anyway instead of just having the subtitle + dubbed being on one disc?

I think there are probably two reasons. One is that it allows them to release one version earlier to avoid losing sales to reverse imports for fans who are impatient and probably understand some English to begin with. The other reason is that by having the full localized version as its own individual release, they can gauge directly how much demand there is for a full localized version. If it doesn't sell, they would stop making them altogether, since it is a much more costly process.

Top Bottom