• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 35, 2014 (Aug 25 - Aug 31)

Eolz

Weird differences between the trackers, and weird to see Sacred 3 in the top 20.
Not too bad of a week otherwise.

Lol I still don't get what audience Nintendo were aiming for with day astt warriors zelda...Japan doesn't like Zelda ..and the west doesn't like dynasty warriors... ,
I doubt Zelda fans in the west are gonna be lining up for it especially when smash 3ds releases a week later

Nintendo had pretty much nothing to do with Hyrule Warriors other than overseeing it (probably to make sure Tecmo Koei didn't turn it into some Dead or Alive Beach Volleyball Zelda Edition). Tecmo Koei did everything except the localization.

Shizuka

14./06. [WIU] Hyrule Warriors # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.08.14} (¥7.980) - 7.648 / 91.880 (-49%)

i0UZBgxh0gaC9.gif

Eita Giovana!

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
good for Toukiden, and for the Vita version. Good for Persona, imho. Decent for Medarot.
3DS somehow slighlty increased, but we are still seeing low numbers, and with the announcement of the new models, we'll see it crate heavily in the incoming weeks. We'll see if the model will pay off at in the long term.
So-so Vita bump, decent hold for Wii U and MK8 and HW (I hope it lasts a little bit just to justify some character DLC update ;p )

Imouto

Banned
Why do people still think the Vita could pass the 3DS?
At least people are starting leave the PSP and move on to the Vita.

I'm not sure if I should be impressed or sad that such shady release practices such as what Kadokawa pulled off with Love Live can still find success. I guess 80k (or 60k) isn't end all amazing, but good lord were they ripping off Love Live fans with these games. Splitting them into three different versions and having exclusive songs on each of them is a real jerk move. Especially considering each game has, iirc, only 8 base songs and the rest are exclusive to its own version... lol.

5hfxqTp.jpg
AC2TJsG.jpg
aMmRl6C.jpg

wSbFKic.png

Busaiku

WOW at Toukiden Extreme numbers.

02./00. [PSV] Toukiden # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2013.06.27} (¥6.090) - 122.794 / NEW

02./00. [PSV] Toukiden: The Age of Demons Extreme # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.08.28} (¥6.264) - 79.384 / NEW
A good reason for the good Vita ratio are PSP users migrating. Both combined did about 50%.

I just want to point out, Neptunia U has finally broken the curse of Neptunia games on Vita selling 27-30k first week. This one sold 34k!

I guess they shipped according to the previous games and that's why it's out of stock.

Toukiden not doing as well as I had hoped, though. It really cratered on PSP. Should've stuck it on PS4 instead!

duckroll

Some comparisons for P4A and Toukiden:

02./00. [PSV] Toukiden <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2013.06.27} (¥6.090) - 122.794 / NEW
04./00. [PSP] Toukiden <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2013.06.27} (¥5.040) - 66.016 / NEW

vs

02./00. [PSV] Toukiden: The Age of Demons Extreme # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.08.28} (¥6.264) - 79.384 / NEW
09./00. [PSP] Toukiden: The Age of Demons Extreme # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.08.28} (¥5.184) - 11.026 / NEW

---

02./00. [PS3] Persona 4: Arena <FTG> (Atlus) {2012.07.26} (¥7.329) - 128.485 / NEW
18./00. [360] Persona 4: Arena <FTG> (Atlus) {2012.07.26} (¥7.329) - 9.801 / NEW

vs

01./00. [PS3] Persona 4: Arena Ultimax <FTG> (Atlus) {2014.08.28} (¥7.538) - 89.468 / NEW

---

The Toukiden numbers don't look as great when the PSP sales of the original are taken into account. Huge dropoff. 188k total -> 90k total. About 50% of the original. It seems the Vita audience is still there, but the PSP audience dropped off without really converting or adding to the Vita numbers.

Persona numbers aren't as bad, but it's also a decline. Dropping the 360 version in Japan is probably a non-issue, since it wouldn't have added much at all.

I just want to point out, Neptunia U has finally broken the curse of Neptunia games on Vita selling 27-30k first week. This one sold 34k!

I guess they shipped according to the previous games and that's why it's out of stock.

Toukiden not doing as well as I had hoped, though. It really cratered on PSP. Should've stuck it on PS4 instead!

I'm guessing Toukiden would have sold even less on PS4.

Vita back in beast mode. Can't complain.

PS3 is back in action too. RIP PS4.

I have a feeling 2015 will not be too good either since seems like everything from TGS is crossgen. Minus Bloodbourne I guess but I dunno what that will manage to do.

zeromcd73

Just checked gamedatamuseum, this should be the second or third best overall week for Vita software sales since it released in Japan.

Still loses to the week God Eater 2 released; and the week Freedom Wars/Girls und Panzer released is very close.

I'm not sure if I should be impressed or sad that such shady release practices such as what Kadokawa pulled off with Love Live can still find success. I guess 80k (or 60k) isn't end all amazing, but good lord were they ripping off Love Live fans with these games. Splitting them into three different versions and having exclusive songs on each of them is a real jerk move. Especially considering each game has, iirc, only 8 base songs and the rest are exclusive to its own version... lol.

That said, I do think the Famitsu chart is a lot funnier this week. Just because you get to see #1 and #2 being Vita games. Not a sight that happens all that often!
Love Live Vita smelled like kusoge from a mile away so I feel like the sales are a reflection of that. If you assume the only buyers are wotaku who bought all three the sales totals probably become more representative of the demographic.

koutoru

First week sales of Hyperdimension Neptunia U actually did on par with the main releases.
05./00. [PSV] Hyperdimension Action Neptunia U # <ACT> (Compile Heart) {2014.08.28} (¥6.458) - 34.980 / NEW

04./00. [PS3] Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 # <RPG> (Compile Heart) {2011.08.18} (¥7.329) - 32.751 / NEW
05./00. [PS3] Kami Jigen Game Neptune V # <RPG> (Compile Heart) {2012.08.30} (¥7.329) - 36.189 / NEW

Has Japan showed any interest at all in Destiny? I don't see that bumping the PS4 at all in Japan. Maybe a couple thousand, but probably not a very notable bump.

Well if I remember right there was in some Media Create thread that retailers are seeing decent demand for Destiny in preorders (at least for western title). It's not like it's going to set world in fire in Japan but I could see it selling decently if it appeals to CoD audience in Japan (CoD sells over 300k yearly on PS3). That combined with white console and I think PS4 will escape the misery of under 10k club for few weeks.

Scum

So when do these...

n3DS/n3DS XL + OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire
n3DS/n3DS XL + YW2
Pokemon & YW2 Amiibos
Pokemon & YW2 interchangeable faceplates

...launch, Iwata?

03./01. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Ganso / Honke <RPG> (Level 5) {2014.07.10} (¥4.937) - 68.762 / 2.358.745 (-11%)

Near 3m by Dec/Jan surely...?

duckroll

Actually, looking at the Famitsu numbers for Toukiden, it's actually more consistent with successful re-releases of this sort compared to MC. It'll be very interesting to see which track is closer to the truth.

If Famitsu is more accurate, then while not a breakout success for a re-release, it means that the series does have potential for growth in an actual sequel. If Media Create is more accurate though, then it shows that the Vita audience might not be as generous with regards to buying expansion re-releases compared to the PSP-era audience. Soul Sacrifice also saw a huge 50% drop-off from the original to Delta in the first week comparison.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Media Create:
Toukiden: 79.384
Love Live: 59.710
Wii U: 8.584

Famitsu:
Toukiden: 100.073
Love Live: 88.169
Wii U: 6.237

So does one of these have like a more family friendly and/or a more niche retailer in their data provider list versus the other?

RalchAC

Well, expansion releases of hunting action games are primarily catered to existing owners in the first place... Noticable bumps created from this genre really only materialises from mainline releases.

Unless you're Monster Hunter, of course.

I think that MH4U will sell less than the original since the series "climbing to the mainstream" stage has ended and they are releasing the expansion in the same platform as the mainline game.

We'll see though.

WOW at Toukiden Extreme numbers.

02./00. [PSV] Toukiden # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2013.06.27} (¥6.090) - 122.794 / NEW

Man, this situation is really weird. Those differences between trackers are really, really big. Hopefully the difference will get smaller in a few weeks.

If you know what's this game Toukiden is, it isn't not that surprising.

You aren't implying the game is bad, right? Just that it's a hunting game and that trend is quite normal :p

After seeing this numbers I repeat what I've already said. They should try to sell the expansions at a cheaper price to people that owns the original game...

Hyrule Warriors still struggling to hit 100k.

Wow.
Famitsu:

12./05. [WIU] Hyrule Warriors # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.08.14} (¥7.980) - 8.522 / 104.638 <80-100%> (-51%)

Honestly, it's not doing bad, but it has zero legs.

Why do people still think the Vita could pass the 3DS?
At least people are starting leave the PSP and move on to the Vita.

5hfxqTp.jpg
AC2TJsG.jpg
aMmRl6C.jpg

wSbFKic.png

Preview of Youkai Watch 3.

Salex_

Soo....the Wii U is only 2k away from the PS4 despite having multiple big in Japan exclusives while the PS4 only has 2 cross-gen launch titles? Both under 10k...

That doesn't bond well for when the combination of PS4 exclusives and cross-gen games come out this spring. RIP consoles in Japan.

Near 3m by Dec/Jan surely...?

We were discussing about that just recently. It depends on how much legs the game will have in the following months. YW2 is still selling incredibly well, and it needs something like 39k on a weekly basis to reach the 3m mark before the year ends. It might sell less than that in September / October, but surely it will increase during holidays.

Durante

Any ideas what it is about these releases (or this week?) that makes the tracker difference so unusually massive for not just one but 2 games?

Shengar

Media Create:
Toukiden: 79.384
Love Live: 59.710

Famitsu:
Toukiden: 100.073
Love Live: 88.169

So does one of these have like a more family friendly and/or a more niche retailer in their data provider list versus the other?

Interesting comparison and nice hypothesis. That might the case since this difference is ain't normal unless they tracked very different kind of stores in very different area.

Any ideas what it is about these releases (or this week?) that makes the tracker difference so unusually massive for not just one but 2 games?

Not just two games, but Wii U hardware as well. Two thousand is big difference.

btw on this tracker note, could the monthly sales competition thing include Media Create numbers too as a bonus? (might as well right)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Soo....the Wii U is only 2k away from the PS4 despite having multiple big in Japan exclusives while the PS4 only has 2 cross-gen launch titles? Both under 10k...

That doesn't bond well for when the combination of PS4 exclusives and cross-gen games come out this spring. RIP consoles in Japan.

It rangers from "very dire" to "extremely dire" for both platforms depending on your tracker of choice.

Media Create:
PS4: 6.502

Famitsu:
PS4: 5.757

Imouto

Banned
Actually, looking at the Famitsu numbers for Toukiden, it's actually more consistent with successful re-releases of this sort compared to MC. It'll be very interesting to see which track is closer to the truth.

If Famitsu is more accurate, then while not a breakout success for a re-release, it means that the series does have potential for growth in an actual sequel. If Media Create is more accurate though, then it shows that the Vita audience might not be as generous with regards to buying expansion re-releases compared to the PSP-era audience. Soul Sacrifice also saw a huge 50% drop-off from the original to Delta in the first week comparison.

Isn't Famitsu also tracking digital download number? Could it be that?

Top Bottom