• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 35, 2015 (Aug 24 - Aug 30)

This is Japan we're talking about, and we know that the NX is a handheld and a console there is no "if" since we have Matt's info on the matter. And why are you using a thread that was rather clearly rebuffed for being pointlessly uninformative?

Being "at" PS4/X1 level is not what matters, its if the system (in console form) is capable of easy porting and supporting modern development tools and engines with suitable RAM allocations for the current memory hungry gen (aka: not the WiiU) which it can accomplish below even X1 specs though I doubt it will be far from that. The chipping away is going to come from the loss of a crutch in the form of the Vita in making PS family only games a tenable venture for the Japanese audience.

And yes, the point was that the NX would effectively assume the position of the Vita in many of the PS4/Vita games... hence chipping away at the usual "Playstation Family" exclusives as there would be no family and there would be a major loss in form-factor. I mean, that was the point. At which point, again, the only distinguishing factor outside of the minority within the minority of western interested players in Japan, is first party offerings.

I'm using that thread not for the topic, but for the reactions. Regardless of whether the tweets were credible (which I doubt anyway), most people in there speculated that NX wouldn't be power competitive. I'm trying to understand where this general idea I've seen going around that it'll share 3rd party games with PS4 and XB1 is coming from, then.

Remember, the only reason these PS4/Vita games are happening is likely because Sony is incentivising it, and being under the same family on consoles, with easy tools to get the job done plays a part in it. I don't think it's as simple as dropping Vita from the equation and putting NX in there as a replacement solution.

We'll see some experimentation, no doubt, but it won't be as sure fire as you make it sound in my opinion.

Also, I'd like to see Matt's posts.

I would check MGSR launch points but I can't be bothered.
Yg7Hd2j.gif

StevieP

Banned
Seconded.

Also who is he? A nintendo employee? What's his track record?

He's an employee of a large corporation that cannot be named that would have access to said info, and as far as I know the track record is spotless. If he says something, it's generally true.

Granted pre-release things are in flux (as many learned with the Wii u the hard way) but his answers aren't bs, despite often being cryptic. They're cryptic because they have to be

Ryng_tolu

Banned
The end of the world will be new episodes of Supernatural, the cockroaches, and 20,000 more copies of Splatoon for Japan.

It's fuckin epic how Wii U after The launch of December 2012 is dropped under 20k after 7 weeks, and Splatoon after 14 weeks is still Above those numbers... The 14 week of Sales Wii U was already under 10k...

Splatoon is on The Road for outsell The Wii U. XD

Jigorath

Banned
I didn't say they would all go exclusive (or at all), in fact its the opposite as I expect Sony/PS4 to lose its exclusives (or specifically their exclusive status). The knock-on effect is the loss of exclusivity which then turns the question away from unique third party offerings and more onto first party offerings as well as SKU preference.

Eh, I'd say the loss off exclusivity is going to swing both ways.

ZhugeEX

Banned
He's an employee of a large corporation that cannot be named that would have access to said info, and as far as I know the track record is spotless. If he says something, it's generally true.

Granted pre-release things are in flux (as many learned with the Wii u the hard way) but his answers aren't bs, despite often being cryptic. They're cryptic because they have to be

A quick Google, assuming I've found the right person, shows Matt was an editor for IGN Nintendo and now works for Apple.

Not entirely sure how he'd have access to inside information whilst working for Apple, perhaps contacts from his old job?

What is his track record out of curiosity because I can't find anything?

Tbh I'd class this more as speculation than something that is confirmed. Especially when the NX is still in development phase. I'm waiting for Nintendo to announce their plans before commenting further at this point.

NateDrake

A quick Google, assuming I've found the right person, shows Matt was an editor for IGN Nintendo and now works for Apple.

Not entirely sure how he'd have access to inside information whilst working for Apple, perhaps contacts from his old job?

What is his track record out of curiosity because I can't find anything?

Tbh I'd class this more as speculation than something that is confirmed. Especially when the NX is still in development phase. I'm waiting for Nintendo to announce their plans before commenting further at this point.

Matt of GAF isn't Matt Castlevaniamina.

hiska-kun

Tsutaya's Ranking Week 36 2015

01./00. [PS4] Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (Special Edition) <ADV> (Konami)
02./01. [3DS] Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King <RPG> (Square Enix)
03./00. [PS4] Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain <ADV> (Konami)
04./00. [PS3] Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain <ADV> (Konami)
05./00. [PS3] Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (Special Edition) <ADV> (Konami)

06./02. [3DS] Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer <ETC> (Nintendo)
07./03. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch Busters: White Dog Squad <ACT> (Level 5)
08./04. [WIU] Splatoon <ACT> (Nintendo)
09./11. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch Busters: Red Cat Team <ACT> (Level 5)
10./09. [3DS] Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer (NFC Reader / Writer Set) <ETC> (Nintendo)
11./12. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Mojang AB)
12./10. [3DS] Rhythm Heaven: The Best+ <ACT> (Nintendo)
13./08. [3DS] Famicom Remix Best Choice <ETC> (Nintendo)
14./07. [3DS] Super Robot Wars BX <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games)
15./00. [PSV] Infinite Stratos 2: Love and Purge <ADV> (5pb.)
16./06. [PS4] Dragon's Dogma Online <RPG> (Capcom)
17./05. [PS4] Until Dawn <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment)
18./00. [3DS] LEGO Ninjago: Shadow of Ronin <ADV> (Warner Entertainment Japan)
19./14. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate [Best Price!] <ACT> (Capcom)
20./15. [PSV] Taiko no Tatsujin: V Version <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games)

NateDrake

So who is Matt?

Why won't anyone give me a straight answer? Maybe someone PM me?

He/She has never revealed who they truly are. Over the years they have chimed in with bits & pieces of information regarding various things & it has all been correct. Matt is an insider who works for a company that allows them to know certain information early. That's all anyone knows.

But how do we know this?

We don't know this until Nintendo announce it.
This is a topic Matt chimed in on. They said the screen res was higher than what people expected, but less than they hope - or something along those lines. In the thread it was shared, most expected 480 but had hopes of 720/1080.

sörine

Banned
Eh, I'd say the loss off exclusivity is going to swing both ways.
Which Nintendo handheld exclusives do you see going PS4 multi though? The only ones that stand out are Monster Hunter and Yokai Watch, and both seem sort of unlikely I think (target demographic, split playerbase, etc). I guess an argument could be already made for Dragon Quest but that seems like a pretty special case (ie: Square Enix going "all in" in an attempt to revive a dead market).

StevieP

Banned
But how do we know this?

We don't know this until Nintendo announce it.

Preliminary specs for the nxs aren't a mystery to all as of a little while ago.

Also, the company is rather large and multinational, and well known - ubiquitous you might say. That's about it in regards to information.

So who is Matt?

Why won't anyone give me a straight answer? Maybe someone PM me?

typically, when insiders post on gaf, mods communicate with them privately to see if they need to ban the dude for trolling or not. because rampant "my uncle works at nintendo" bs has no place on gaf. we the speculation-gaf community dont' really know who matt was, other than he got away with leaking vague information here, and therefore somebody in a position of power has seen evidence that he has a meaningful chance of knowing what he's talking about. we trust the mods on this due to previous leaks that came true and previous fake bs that led to bans.

at least, that's what i think of the situation. maybe i'm wrong and i missed a thread someplace too.

Jigorath

Banned
sörine;177798914 said:
Which Nintendo handheld exclusives do you see going PS4 multi though? The only ones that stand out are Monster Hunter and Yokai Watch, and both seem sort of unlikely I think (target demographic, split playerbase, etc). I guess an argument could be already made for Dragon Quest but that seems like a pretty special case (ie: Square Enix going "all in" in an attempt to revive a dead market).

Off the top of my head there's Atlus stuff like mainline SMT. Monster Hunter will probably go multiplat with PS4/PC since it's becoming more popular in the West. Yokai Watch doesn't really make sense on anything other than Nintendo and mobile due to demographics so I don't think that situation will change much. And like you said, Dragon Quest has already made the jump to full on multiplat. I disagree on your reasoning though. I think Square and Horii primarily want to expand the franchise rather than trying to revive the console market in Japan.

What franchises are we expecting to go multiplatform with NX though? Wii U was powerful enough to play a lot of 7th generation games but developers didn't give it the time of day, and that's before it became a lost cause. What difference will NX make?

Part of me doubts that games like Devil May Cry, Resident Evil, Kingdom Hearts 3 and FFXV will suddenly show up on the platform, which are the major 3rd party hooks Vena spoke of. In my eyes, all it means is that franchises like Yokai Watch and Monster Hunter may see a console release on big brother NX by proxy.

No one is owed any info regarding another poster's employment status. If we believe anyone is spreading misinformation deliberately it will be handled. EDIT: I feel obliged to add here, this does not mean the poster in question should be considered verified.

Please don't try to remove the anonymity of other members.

casiopao

You can tell Sony isn't planning to make another handheld because their studios are neither making Vita games nor missing in action.

They've divested from handhelds internally.

This is also one of the main problem there. Considering how Sony right now is killing left and right of their handheld studio, most of their biggest studio also not giving a single care to their handheld, i don't see how making another handheld would be any good idea. This actually is one of Nintendo main points. Most if not all Nintendo team and second party seems to be adaptable on both handheld and console front which is why making both handhelds and console is quite viable for Nintendo.

I wouldn't call the Vita a premium device, it's actually cheaper than the new 3DS model. 3DO was indeed was priced as a premium product but it didn't have high margins as far as I know. A premium product isn't meant to sell to a wide install base since the core idea behind the business model is trade low sales with high profit margins, this is where the PS3/3DO failed. The PS3, 3DO etc were all designed as premium devices but didn't have high margins to make them successful.

I think what I'm trying to say it'd be interesting to see if a game manufacture can mimic the Apple's model and make a viable business out of it. Let's take the Mac for example: Mac sales are much less than Window (Mac market share is like 6% apparently), yet Mac accounts for like 50% of the entire PC industry profit. Apple is by far the most successful PC manufacture despite having lower sale volume overall compared to Lenovo/Dell etc.

Tl'dr: Would an approach where Sony sells 2M PSP3 with $150 profit per unit be better than an approach where they sell 10-12M units for $20-$30 profit per unit? I wonder how many people are willing to pay for $400-$500 handheld.

Considering how even Nintendo is having trouble of selling handheld in more expensive price, i don't think selling at even more expensive price point will be a logical move. Not to mention, will there even be any third party to even support that kind of machine? I don't think any 3rd party would even want to waste their resources(both time and money) to learn on how to develop for the platform especially when Sony themselves won't develop for that system.

StevieP

Banned
No one is owed any info regarding another poster's employment status. If we believe anyone is spreading misinformation deliberately it will be handled.

Yup. Removing anonymity often costs people their jobs. In this case it most certainly would, as it has in the past on GAF

ZhugeEX

Banned
No one is owed any info regarding another poster's employment status. If we believe anyone is spreading misinformation deliberately it will be handled.

I was simply trying to find out more about this poster and what they said about NX.

I didn't realise it was an already verified member until a user above pointed it out.I was just thinking its a random post like the italian one from a few days ago.

besada

Banned
I was simply trying to find out more about this poster and what they said about NX.

I didn't realise it was an already verified member until a user above pointed it out.I was just thinking its a random post like the italian one from a few days ago.
Which is not an excuse to go digging and post the results here. If you'd been correct, you might have cost someone their job.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Which is not an excuse to go digging and post the results here. If you'd been correct, you might have cost someone their job.

Not really if its the second result on google + this other matt has a public linkedin page.

Clearly the people who thought it was Matt Casamassina (based on the second Google result saying he posted here with the NX stuff) were wrong.

sörine

Banned
Off the top of my head there's Atlus stuff like mainline SMT. Monster Hunter will probably go multiplat with PS4/PC since it's becoming more popular in the West. Yokai Watch doesn't really make sense on anything other than Nintendo and mobile due to demographics so I don't think that situation will change much. And like you said, Dragon Quest has already made the jump to full on multiplat. I disagree on your reasoning though. I think Square and Horii primarily want to expand the franchise rather than trying to revive the console market in Japan.
SMT is a good one, I could very much see SMTV being multi between NX and PS4. Monster Hunter no, it's a game that relies heavily on local playerbase and if anything it looks like the series is doubling down on Nintendo exclusivity now (probably with a big helping hand from NCL behind the scenes). Hunting games also sell like garbage on PS4, there's virtually no market incetive for it. PS4/PC will probably get Frontier 2 and that's it.

DQ on PS4, I think it's probably both looking towards the west and trying to prop up PS4 in Japan so SE's following huge games (FFXV, KH3) have a local market to sell to. Bankrolling a HD Dragon Quest just for the west makes no sense though, the franchise history just doesn't support that sort of move when it peaked at a million on even more massmarket systems like PS2 and DS.

What franchises are we expecting to go multiplatform with NX though? Wii U was powerful enough to play a lot of 7th generation games but developers didn't give it the time of day, and that's before it became a lost cause. What difference will NX make?

Part of me doubts that games like Devil May Cry, Resident Evil, Kingdom Hearts 3 and FFXV will suddenly show up on the platform, which are the major 3rd party hooks Vena spoke of. In my eyes, all it means is that franchises like Yokai Watch and Monster Hunter may see a console release on big brother NX by proxy.
I'd say what happened with Wii U doesn't make a good case study for predicting NX support since (at least in Japan) NX is going to be approached first and foremost as the 3DS successor.

I don't see FFXV on NX, and likely not RE7 or DMC5 depending on what exactly those games turn out to be. KH3 might be a possibility depending on how scalable the game is but it staying PS4/One(/PC?) only wouldn't be surprising either.

What I do expect to see though is more NX replacing PS3/Vita in various multiplatform series releases, so good examples being things like Musou, Basara, DQ Builders, Miku, DBZ, etc. I think there's a big opportunity for NX to pick up secondary hunting franchises like God Eater or Toukiden too but that also hinges on transitioning playerbase so it's trickier.

Memento

sörine;177803339 said:
SMT is a good one, I could very much see SMTV being multi between NX and PS4. Monster Hunter no, it's a game that relies heavily on local playerbase and if anyhing it looks like the series is doubling down on Nintendo exclusivity now (probably with a big helping hand from NCL behind the scenes) Huting games also sell like garbage on PS4, there's virtually no market incetive for it. PS4/PC will probably get Frontier 2 and that's it.

DQ on PS4, I think it's probably both looking towards the west and trying to prop up PS4 in Japan so SE's following huge games (FFXV, KH3) have a local market to sell to. Bankrolling a HD Dragon Quest just for the west makes no sense though, the franchise history just doesn't support that sort of move when it peaked at a million on even more massmarket systems like PS2 and DS.

I'd say what happened with Wii U doesn't make a good case study for predicting NX support since (at least in Japan) NX is going to be approached first and foremost as the 3DS successor.

I don't see FFXV on NX, and likely not RE7 or DMC5 depending on what exactly those games turn out to be. KH3 might be a possibility depending on how scalable the game is but it staying PS4/One(/PC?) only wouldn't be surprising either.

What I do expect to see though is more NX replacing PS3/Vita in various multiplatform series releases, so good examples being things like Musou, Basara, DQ Builders, Miku, DBZ, etc. I think there's a big opportunity for NX to pick up secondary hunting franchises like God Eater or Toukiden too but that also hinges on transitioning playerbase so it's trickier.

So... basically it wont have any big hitter? Which means it wont be relevant yet again.

sörine;177803339 said:
SMT is a good one, I could very much see SMTV being multi between NX and PS4. Monster Hunter no, it's a game that relies heavily on local playerbase and if anything it looks like the series is doubling down on Nintendo exclusivity now (probably with a big helping hand from NCL behind the scenes). Hunting games also sell like garbage on PS4, there's virtually no market incetive for it. PS4/PC will probably get Frontier 2 and that's it.

If SMT is going to be multi, then Persona might become multi as well.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
OMG. This is going to happen again here right?

This is a nightmare XD
multiplat-exclusivity topic is an undead one as DQ PSP, MH Vita, ConsoleX haz no gamez...

You can tell Sony isn't planning to make another handheld because their studios are neither making Vita games nor missing in action.

They've divested from handhelds internally.

But what if they are planning a completed shared OS as we are supposing Nintendo to do with NX? Wouldn't that mean that maybe some Sony studio working on a ps4 game is also working on a Vita game, just because it's the same?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
But what if they are planning a completed shared OS as we are supposing Nintendo to do with NX? Wouldn't that mean that maybe some Sony studio working on a ps4 game is also working on a Vita game, just because it's the same?

This only works if your systems are based on mobile hardware, not the other way around.

The PS4 is built around a 90-150 watt power envelope and a large active cooling system.

OMG. This is going to happen again here right?

Haha, of course!

Btw, Atlus games sold really well on 3DS (SMTIV sold more than SMTIII for what it matters; Persona Q is the third best-selling Persona game in Japan behind 4 and 4 Golden) so it might make sense to spread as much as they could on multiple hardware. EOV without a platform might be a first signal.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
This only works if your systems are based on mobile hardware, not the other way around.

The PS4 is built around a 90-150 watt power envelope and a large active cooling system.

Mmmmmh (sorry if I'm going out of topic, let me know if I should go to the NX thread, but you rarely post there!!!): does that mean that the hypotetical NX home product would necessarily be downgraded in terms of HW by its portable counterpart?

About Atlus and general multiplatform: me too I think that the route to multiplatform is probably good for many software houses, but at the same time we are seeing many PS4/Vita games that imho could show how the multiplatform could be managed going ahead, if also Nintendo with NX will create a shared "OS" for their new consoles.

test_account

XP-39C²
sörine;177774290 said:
That's sort of like saying PS4 had Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Resident Evil, Yakuza, Metal Gear, Winning Eleven, Musou, etc, all within it's first year or so. It might be technically true but it's still somewhat misleading.
Just wondering, what is misleading about those things? It shows that those 3rd parties didnt wait for the userbase to be millions large before being on board (which was the original quote).

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Good hold for Dragon Quest VIII?

Could be, going with your Tsutaya chart. even if maybe it's just a case of curious split between the various MGSV editions (meaning: Special edition for PS4 sold a lot, normal edition way lower in terms of %, while the gapt % for the two PS3 versions is way smaller and this is the reason why DQ is up there)

Just wondering, what is misleading about those things? It shows that those 3rd parties didnt wait for the userbase to be millions large before being on board (which was the original quote).

Perhaps "misleading" because many of those games were portings and / or downgrades; e.g. SSFIV 3D, Tales of the Abyss, Devil Survivor: OverClocked, MGS3; or cheap spin-offs, e.g. RE: Mercenaries, AC. The only big names were Layton, RE and KH; MH is another league entirely since even if 3G was "just" a port it was predicted to sell well.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'm guessing overall number.

Oh, software-wise. I was thinking about hw numbers and went crazy XD

Well, 300k overall numbers for MGSV debut? Isn't that lower than expected?

Maybe I'm hungry and I can't connect properly...see you later guys!

I'm guessing the guy meant overall number.

It would fit more as an PS4 number only though. 300k for PS4 and something like 150-200k for PS3 would give us normal 450-500k MGS opening. 300k for both combined would be pretty fricking bad and so out of norm for mainline MGS that I have hard time to believe it.

Top Bottom