• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 35, 2017 (Aug 28 - Sep 03)

fortunato

Banned
The question is - will it be a card game? A dress up/home deco game? A dress up/home deco card game?!

This will be interesting.

On the one hand, the Animal Crossing formula would fit very well in the mobile landscape; it has a social/communication aspect; it has plenty of collectibles; and a structure that can be quite well translated into a F2P w/MTX. Also, it is a small game in terms of scope, that is, the village has a nice size and everything can be condensed in mobile format without losing much (unlike an open-world, for example).

On the other hand, I do not think Nintendo would like to create a game that is too similar to the console counterpart, as long as the latter is wildly successful (5m+ in Japan, 11m+ worldwide). It seems that Animal Crossing has a quite faithful fanbase that is willing to buy the game at full price as it is, maybe with some improvements here and there. A mobile game in the same genre and structure would compete too much with the likely Switch version. This, of course, is true as long as Nintendo is developing a console episode as we speak, and it is planning to release it in 2018.

An aspect that might differentiate Animal Crossing mobile relates to online functionalities. The game might be a MMO-like life-sim, where villagers are real friends or people met online. In this way, even with the same game system, the mobile app would skew towards social features, while the console version can retain a more traditional structure (it does not have a story, but it still has characters and small vignettes).

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
AC Mobile to keep the user login every day and not functional enough that they still will want to upgrade to the full Switch version. I assume that you will be able to earn a bunch of goodies in the Mobile release that will unlock content/features in the maingame....so the longer you play the mobile game the higher the likelihood of getting involved with the main games.

At the same time console players will be able to unlock goodies in the mobile version - so you might download the free app even if you own and are satisfied with the Switch release.
Considering the OCD of many AC players and fans, if Nintendo plays their cards right both games could be massive depending on the interaction.

Its time to embrace the full potential of the IP.

one question,will the nintendo badge arcade type of game work on the smartphone?I mean they could port the game to smartphone with the badges can also be transferred to the switch or trading badges with other accounts

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

Oregano

Uh, right! I forgot about it because of the sold out reports that basically will make these new numbers useless (as for the Switch hardware, we won't know how much it could have sold if...)

well, not in the MC today's numbers thread!

Thanks!

Well if it's sold out at 10k that might not tell us much, but if it's sold out at 50k that will tell us a lot.(just hypothetical numbers)

Datschge

You are also missing the point. Right now Splatoon has 100+% attach rate week after week because the majority shipment of Switch unit is Splattoon 2 bundles. I'm not saying people chose to buy the bundle to save money but rather that's the only choice to get a Switch.

If Nintendo decides to push another game like SMO in a bundle, Splatoon 2 will not have 100% attach rate weekly and it will rely on Switch to sell insane amount of units in 2018 to hit that goal. Was there any precedent that a game sells 3 million in 6 month then sell another 2 million in the next 12 months without bundling? If that were to happen and with the long tail everyone expected for Splatoon 2, it's gonna be easily the best selling games of all time in Japan.
Again if the market didn't want Splatoon 2 the second hand market would be flooded with copies due to the bundles. This is not the case so I fail to see how the bundle helps the game here. It's actually the opposite. Once Splatoon 2 stops selling as a stand alone game due to availability in the second hand market you will have got a point, but we are still far away from this point.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Well if it's sold out at 10k that might not tell us much, but if it's sold out at 50k that will tell us a lot.(just hypothetical numbers)

and what if it's sold out at...30k!?

Man, I hate all this switch supply situation. I can't figure out exactly how attractive the console is right now for the market

fortunato

Banned
and what if it's sold out at...30k!?

Man, I hate all this switch supply situation. I can't figure out exactly how attractive the console is right now for the market

Still, you can gauge the consumers' interest in comparison with other platforms. That is, Switch is much more attractive than how PS4, PS3, PSV, Wii U ever were. It is also performing similarly to what 3DS did. Therefore, you can imagine that Switch is as desirable as 3DS was back then, even though with a higher price.

L~A

Hmm... no hints from everyone's favorite blogger, heh? Did the Media Create Black Ops finally catch up with them, and are currently torturing them by showing them NPD Top 10 data non-stop?

Really looking forward to see how many units Bamco shipped for Xenoverse 2 to sell out within the first couple of days.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
The blog doesn't leak if there isn't anything interesting. Destiny 2 likely underperformed in Japan too and Xenoverse 2 numbers aren't supposed to be something big.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Still, you can gauge the consumers' interest in comparison with other platforms. That is, Switch is much more attractive than how PS4, PS3, PSV, Wii U ever were. It is also performing similarly to what 3DS did. Therefore, you can imagine that Switch is as desirable as 3DS was back then, even though with a higher price.

Same people or not, it should help him :)

Yes, I agree
it would simply be better to know exactly which is the limit..maybe just the sky!

L~A

Media Create

Switch 45,439
PS4 18,483
PS4 Pro 10,999
New3DS LL 9,628
New2DS LL 9,403
Vita 3,913
2DS 1,772
New3DS 331
PS3 115
Wii U 90
Xbox One 63

Destiny 2: 50k
Xenoverse 2: 24k

noshten

You are also missing the point. Right now Splatoon has 100+% attach rate week after week because the majority shipment of Switch unit is Splattoon 2 bundles. I'm not saying people chose to buy the bundle to save money but rather that's the only choice to get a Switch.

If Nintendo decides to push another game like SMO in a bundle, Splatoon 2 will not have 100% attach rate weekly and it will rely on Switch to sell insane amount of units in 2018 to hit that goal. Was there any precedent that a game sells 3 million in 6 month then sell another 2 million in the next 12 months without bundling? If that were to happen and with the long tail everyone expected for Splatoon 2, it's gonna be easily the best selling games of all time in Japan.

I've been saying for a while that we are seeing AC/YW like growth for Splatoon, and the sequel is one of the main reasons the Switch is performing so well in Japan - despite it's high price compared to prior handhelds.
The game itself will continue to receive updates and that will ensure it remains relevant for at least the next year as the updates are rolled out. We'd see smaller updates like maps, weapons etc and larger ones like clothing lines, additional modes, more community features via the smart phone app etc. It's basically a game that Nintendo needs to do exceptionally well in Japan in order to drive subs for their paid online service.
Japan will be one of the few places where people will be able to reguararly meet up and play things like Salmon Run, League Battles together in groups of 2,4 or 8. While Nintendo will continue to push Splatoon as Japan's first eSport. With Spectator mode being added and tons of content creators for the game(25k new videos just from this month on youtube) as well as tournaments being organized all over Japan and the World will ensure the games remains relevant for quiet some time. I expect it to be featured on several future Nintendo directs as the game ise expanded.
The current audience of the Switch is just a small fraction of possible owners of the system in the next 2 years. I expect that by the end of 2018 Switch will be between 8-10 million in Japan. I don't expect Splatoon 2 to follow similar trajectory to YW or AC, I expect Splatoon 2 to outdo both games in the long run. By the end of 2018 I wouldn't be surprised if Splatoon 2 is still around 60% attach rate in Japan. Simply the way that the games continues to update, while Nintendo continue to market it via tournaments, events, merchandise and content which is generated by people it's going to have long legs. We haven't seen a major eSport game in the best seller games of all time in Japan so I think unless we count Pokemon Splatoon 2 will be the first.
I think Splatoon 2 could have an extremely large and dedicated audience in Japan for the next few years. People who both play and watch/buy a lot of Splatoon 2 related things. It could be bigger than either AC or YW became. Personally I think Splatoon 2 appeals to a wider audience and Nintendo will develop a lot of marketing strategies around keeping the game popular.

Guymelef

Those are Destiny PS3 numbers.
Really bad.
[PS4] Destiny (SCE, 09/11/14) – 91,277 (New)
[PS3] Destiny (SCE, 09/11/14) – 49,503 (New)

fortunato

Banned
Famitsu had XV2 PS4 at 61,375 units so the Switch result is not bad, considering stock issues. Nintendo platforms are really favorable for DB games, after all.

Top Bottom