• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 35, 2017 (Aug 28 - Sep 03)

duckroll

Hmmm...

I wonder if they could also do a one-room type deal, just really simple and "get out as fast as you can!"

Although there'd be less leaderboard fun there, I'd imagine, as there'd be less room in the shorter challenge to separate people and within which to improve.

Especially if it were just figuring out easily repeatable puzzle solutions. Combat, extra space, alternate routes, using gear to trivialize, sequence break, etc. all could add room for a leaderboard to exist.

If you want to make something like Zelda replayable, the trick is not to design complete dungeons of any size at all. Instead you design rooms themed to a type of dungeon. Lots and lots and lots of rooms. Then you come up with a clever way to have a number of different map layouts for each dungeon type, and then you fill those map layouts with random types of rooms, with some specific parts of those maps having specific types of rooms. A more structured form of randomization compared to Binding of Isaac, but a similar idea.

Say you have a fire themed dungeon and a tower themed dungeon. You just need a bunch of different map layouts (linking rooms together) for each, and then a bunch of different rooms of each room type - combat rooms, escape rooms, trap rooms, puzzle/key rooms, chest rooms, mini boss room, boss room, etc. Each map layout would define what types of rooms each room could possibly be, and you randomize the contents that way.

MoonFrog

If you want to make something like Zelda replayable, the trick is not to design complete dungeons of any size at all. Instead you design rooms themed to a type of dungeon. Lots and lots and lots of rooms. Then you come up with a clever way to have a number of different map layouts for each dungeon type, and then you fill those map layouts with random types of rooms, with some specific parts of those maps having specific types of rooms. A more structured form of randomization compared to Binding of Isaac, but a similar idea.

Say you have a fire themed dungeon and a tower themed dungeon. You just need a bunch of different map layouts (linking rooms together) for each, and then a bunch of different rooms of each room type - combat rooms, escape rooms, trap rooms, puzzle/key rooms, chest rooms, mini boss room, boss room, etc. Each map layout would define what types of rooms each room could possibly be, and you randomize the contents that way.
Now I'm seeing a game with a "raid" mode of randomized dungeons with bosses and loot and also just a "puzzle" mode of a stream of the puzzle rooms in the room pool for the dungeons :p.

Could stack on a time attack to the latter, with rewards for clearing more. And could do an analogous boss/combat rush.

Sandfox

What I'm wondering about is how Animal Crossing is supposed to play. We know that it's supposed to have connectivity with console AC, but there are a lot of things they could do with the IP.

Ōkami

xbox_one_s_1tb_minecraft_le_w855.jpg

This is out in Japan on October 5th, 40k yen.

D.Lo

I can't believe how much shelf space Xbox stuff gets in Japan given the sales. Like all places in cities have at least one shelf.

In the Australia for example, Gamecube/Wii U vanished from store shelves despite them selling at least a few hundred thousand and big name games even occasionally topping the charts.

casiopao

Nintendo should make a moba smash bros on mobile considering how popular those genre on mobile nowadays. It is literally everywhere right now.

Arena of Valor by garena and Mobile Legends seems to be doing really great.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo should make a moba smash bros on mobile considering how popular those genre on mobile nowadays. It is literally everywhere right now.

Arena of Valor by garena and Mobile Legends seems to be doing really great.

Nah. It not use to chase trends. Jump ahead and release a Splatoon Battle royale.

Fukuzatsu

I can't believe how much shelf space Xbox stuff gets in Japan given the sales. Like all places in cities have at least one shelf.

In the Australia for example, Gamecube/Wii U vanished from store shelves despite them selling at least a few hundred thousand and big name games even occasionally topping the charts.

At major retailers in major cities, sure, but take one step out of that into GEO, Manga Warehouse, or any other non-Yodobashi or Bic Camera store outside of Tokyo and you'll be lucky to see a single piece of Xbox One hardware, let alone games.

D.Lo

At major retailers in major cities, sure, but take one step out of that into GEO, Manga Warehouse, or any other non-Yodobashi or Bic Camera store outside of Tokyo and you'll be lucky to see a single piece of Xbox One hardware, let alone games.
Of course, but still. Exactly how many units shift at all those Yodobashi/Bic stores for a whole shelf each? Must be Microsoft demanding it as part of package deals with laptops or something.

L~A

It's because Microsoft pay them as part of whatever deal they have with the stores. There's no other possible explanation, as no store has any interest in stocking something that just doesn't sell.

Vinnk

Yup. In my town there is only one shop "Yamada Denki" that has a shelf devoted to it. Most of the shelf is empty, just posters and empty boxes. I think they only have 1 or 2 actual consoles on hand. It's silly. The space they give it is about the same as the Switch. Must be some deal they have in place, but I don't know anything more about that.

All other stores have not one scrap of Xbox stuff. Even the ones that had 360 stuff back in the day.

fortunato

Banned
It's because Microsoft pay them as part of whatever deal they have with the stores. There's no other possible explanation, as no store has any interest in stocking something that just doesn't sell.

Yep. Microsoft must have some leverage over retailers being a huge company with blockbuster products in other markets. Also, the cost of shelf spaces might make up for retailers' losses over each unsold unit. It's clear that Microsoft has always adopted a loss-leader strategy in Japan with Xbox.

duckroll

Was Okami HD actually the only new game in Famitsu this week?

No. But I think the guy updating isn't posting everything. Sega already confirmed in a tweet that there'll be more info on the SMT mobile game with actual game details and screens this week.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, I'm actually surprised that Okami HD got a confirmation before the SF Anniversary collection. Is Capcom trying to not further burn bridges with the Switch and not kill USFII too early, or just waiting until after VS?

Guys, I'm actually surprised that Okami HD got a confirmation before the SF Anniversary collection. Is Capcom trying to not further burn bridges with the Switch and not kill USFII too early, or just waiting until after VS?
Capcom announcing that Anniversary game with USFII included plus skipping the switch would be the ultimate insult lol

I want it to actually happen though,just for fun

D.Lo

Capcom announcing that Anniversary game with USFII included plus skipping the switch would be the ultimate insult lol

I want it to actually happen though,just for fun
Street Fighter 1, All versions of SFII, USFII, all three Street Fighter III games, Alpha Anthology and all versus games in a $20 package for PS4Bone.

Switch gets a port of Zero 3 for $50.

L~A

For the SNES Mini, Nintendo is going to ship more on Day 1 than LTD in France and the US (I assume other countries are the same). Will be interesting to see what they end up shipping in Japan. Will the Switch lose the exclusivity of Nintendo Hardware Loteries?

gtj1092

How is releasing a new game burning bridges? What's the acceptable time limit before releasing a new product?

Oregano

How is releasing a new game burning bridges? What's the acceptable time limit before releasing a new product?

Selling a game standalone for $40 on one platform and selling it in a bundle with other games on other platforms for the same price probably wouldn't go down well with people.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
USFII in other platforms is fine. Other platforms getting the game, plus a lot of compelling extra stuff for the same price before even a year is not a good look.

Zedark

First restock of the week for Switch on amazon, and it's a big one! One SKU boosted straight to the top (again the Splatoon 2 + Mario Kart bundle), one to 9th, one to 13th, one to 31th, one to 51th and one to 248th. Additionally, the Splatoon bundle itself got a bump from 7th to 5th.

Edit: And skus bumped to 286th and 293th!

ggx2ac

Hamster retweeted the Japanese Nintendo Direct coming up.

I'm guessing more Neo Geo games are going to get announced like in the last Direct.

Now all they need to do is announce
Magical Drop III

Fiendcode

Hamster retweeted the Japanese Nintendo Direct coming up.

Going to guess more Neo Geo games are going to get announced like in the last Direct.

Now all they need to do is announce
Magical Drop III...
Maybe they'll finally start doing regular Arcade Archives releases too?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
So, Oceanhorn sold the best, even though it was a years late port? Is almost like there's a market for Zelda-like games on the console.

Top Bottom